15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 3:54 PM by ghamorra RSS

Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner

BlackhawkbillOO7

I love Camper versus Run and Gunner discussions because you end up with the same arguments and rhetoric. If everybody camped then the game would be boring. Ok, but since everybody doesn’t camp what was your point? Is it boring for you because you are the big bad Run and Gunner who keeps blindly running into a Corner Camper and he kills you? Or, are you the Cowering Corner Camper who snuggles in a corner hoping to get that awesome UAV or even a Care Package Kill Streak? Or, one of my personal favorites “you need to play the game like it’s supposed to be played”. I’ll make a deal with you, when you buy my game for me, you can tell me how I’m supposed to play it, until then stop crying. How about this one “the only reason your KD is so high is because you Corner Camp.” Now, I like to mix it up when I play, and I have never in all my time playing this game, come across a Cowering Corner Camper that has above a 1.5 KD with over 50,000 kills. Actually, most of time they are below a 1.0 KD and have less than 10,000 kills. I also, like the guys who will absolutely not accept the fact that they SUCK. They’re the ones who will call somebody a Camper even though the guy they’re calling a Camper ran the whole game. I absolutely hate playing with guys who play well outside their skill level. You know the guy who will talk the most trash and ends the match 5 and 19 and then blames the other team because they camped. If you knew where they were camping then how come you didn’t kill them the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time you went over there? Instead, the idiot fed the campers and cost the team the game. I’m by no means saying that I am the best MW3 player. But I do try to play smartly.

 

I only play one game mode and that's HCTDM. The objective of HCTDM is to accrue more kills than the other team. The game ends when either the time runs out or a team reaches the max score. Our Clan has had a few perfect games in the past (7500 to 0). I won't sit here and say that my Clan is the best, but I will say that we are far from the worst. We try to play the game smarter than the other team, because winning definitely makes the game more fun for us.

 

We’ve have played against some smart teams. The type of team that plays as a unit and will go on the defensive and lock down a whole side of a map. That I can respect. They cover all the avenues of approach, they have interlacing fields of fire, and they communicate. That’s how we did it when I was an Army Infantryman. If I’m with a full team with my own clan members (90% of us are veterans) then we will use the game styles that work best for the maps. On maps that we Run and Gun on we all run Support Kill Streaks, we keep the movement fluid, we call out Cowering Corner Campers, and we usually win. On maps that don’t necessarily support a Run and Gun game i.e. Fallen, Bakaara, etc. we will set up a defensive line with interlacing fields of fire, we will run a mix of Assault and Support Kill Streaks, and we usually win.  We’re not perfect and we do lose once in a while but we keep playing and trying to get better. There are only a couple other clans that stand out in my memory that have played a stronger game than us and when we meet up it’s really a toss-up as to who is going to win. MBQ! I like these guys, when we bang, it’s a war and it gets heated in the lobby. LOL! I’ve played with CaPt-N-CoKe_23, on the same team, a few times and had a good time.  We’ve played against VETZ. These guys will back out as soon as they start losing and talk trash if they win. DoMiNo, is another clan that plays well and doesn’t act like jerks if they win or babies if they lose.

 

I digress, my point is that yes, it’s a game, it should be fun, but if you are playing like a dumb@ss and can’t figure out a better strategy than the one the other guy’s using then it’s your fault. Accept it. Blaming somebody else because they came around a corner and smoked you because you were in the same corner the whole map is stupid. Just as stupid is blaming the Cowering Corner Camper for killing you 4 or 5 times when you should have known by the second time he was going to be around there but you wanted to be John Wayne but got your @ss handed to you. My point is just take responsibility for how you play.  Blackhawkbill007

  • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
    monkeylord

    Or in a word Adapt

  • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
    WiseguyFTL

    Someone who ONLY camps in corners is basically a free kill. Someone who ALWAYS sprints around is basically a free kill (if you're prepared for the gunfight and he comes sprinting around a corner...).

    A good player knows when to push and when to play passively. I move around a lot but I ADS a lot as well, especially around corners or at lines of sight. It's called playing smart, 100% camping and 100% rushing are both bad, a camper won't do a lot for his team (and in kill based game modes he probably won't get over 15 kills) and the rusher will probably die a lot, he might get first blood for your team but he might get first blooded by the enemy if you're unlucky.

    Play smart, play fast when you need to and slow when you need to, know / predict the spawns and win your gunfights. It's not as black and white as "rusher vs camper"

  • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
    ghamorra

    Obviously no one is going to defend a "corner camper", but let's be honest, how many corner campers are there? Not very many, most people just imagine the person who killed them was waiting in a corner because it makes them feel better about their death


    Corner campers do exist, just not nearly as much as Rushers would like to think

    • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
      Out

      I agree with you for the most part, there are not as many corner campers by any means as there are run and gunners, ...I do see more people camping clan ops .....esp HC/TDM or HC/KC ...... i have summed it up to Core players just not being used to Hardcore...........I normally dont play Core..... but have grown to like it during clan ops, if we find a clan that stays on core 99% of the time.....the same clan will do more running and gunning or moving objectly on core than they will on HC.......... IMO anyway    But the orginal post is correct  always running blindly or camping is dumb....... I like to wach and see what the other team is doing and adjust my gameplay accordling.....

      • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
        ghamorra

        I personally do not see the point of rushing. It's wild and stupid. People say it takes skill but I think it's all about luck. Just running a short distance from one vantage point to the next I know how convenient this game can be. You look right but someones on the left, it's not always going to work out in your favor. Rushers in this game are just impatient, campers are the opposite. The real problem rushers have with campers is that it takes patience and thought to kill one, something they don't want have take the time out of their day to do

        • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
          monkeylord

          ghamorra wrote:

           

          I personally do not see the point of rushing. It's wild and stupid. People say it takes skill but I think it's all about luck.  

          At first yeah but then you learn how to flip spawns to your advantage, the most popular lines of traffic, where to bobby trap, which popular overwatch spots to hit with a rocket, where the head glithces are that you have to swoop down into rather than across, how the flow of traffic works so instead of hitting the enemy from behind you hit them side on, how to herd the enemy campers into certain spots that are easier to take back.

          Campers however? learn to use spots that make sure they're never really tested and hide behind the fact they get a certain number of kills. Of course on certain modes a slower more methodical approach is the best and on modes where the objective is stationairy of course it makes sense to have someone watching it but lets be honest the campers who really put themselves where it does the team most good are few and far between.

          Most choose their overwatch based on kills generated rather than true objective value so they end up wacthing a tiny area that has no real significance beyond the fact that by rapidly killing 2-3 people they'll earn the enemy a hero spawn and force their team into a corner.

          Rushers win a match most campers just collect kills. Campers often accuse rushers of getting hung up on the word well campers are excactly the same they get hung up on the word "rusher" to be a good rusher you have to know when and where to stop difference is we also know moving is how you win the longer you stand still the more chance of the enemy zeroing in on you.

          Army may be taught to lockdown from what i've seen in the OP but us RM are taught to move and overwhelm. COD is a dream millitary ideal no pain, instant respawn, no worrying about non combatant's and an array of weaponary and equipment you do what you like with. Your only goal is to win nothing else matters.

          • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
            monkeylord

            monkeylord wrote:

             

            ghamorra wrote:

             

            I personally do not see the point of rushing. It's wild and stupid. People say it takes skill but I think it's all about luck.  

            Thought it was best to show what rushers do and what they add to a team this is what I consider tag rushing. The Dragunov has become my new go to gun. I don't think many campers can show the same kind of contribution in an entire match let only 40 seconds.

            All rushers do is just control where they engage the enemy leading to real map control.Also to show this isn't just a "cherry picked" clip when it comes to most kills confirmed emblems I have well over 2000 and that puts me at about 60th overall on the ps3

            • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
              phxs72

              Two things.  First, Good Lord you have a fast trigger finger Second, you're spot on about how a successful rusher is one that controls where they engage the enemy.  The guys that just run out into the hot zone and hope to win every gunfight aren't good rushers.  Guys that take corners close but are ready to strike everytime that they pop them often win the gunfight.  I had a match a couple of nights ago on Bakarra and to be quite honest they other team was owning me the whole first half of the match while I was using an AR.  They were mostly using snipers and were just out gunning me.  So I decided to change it up and I pulled out my PM9 with Extreme Conditioning.  I got back in their camp area and went on an 8 or 9 killstreak and then continued to get the better of them the rest of the match by using cover and creating a mismatch between their guns and mine. When we got back to the lobby, one of them said that he was going to report me for cheating because he just couldn't understand how I could go from being so bad to owning them. LOL.  A good rusher will defeat most campers.

              • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
                ghamorra

                phxs72 wrote:

                 

                Second, you're spot on about how a successful rusher is one that controls where they engage the enemy.

                 

                You call that rushing, but I garauntee the person you killed twice was crying camper. The rushing in the video has a method to their madness. UAVs were up so he saw the enemy coming, instead of running full speed toward them he moved slowly with ready to shoot

                 

                When I engage in "camping" I do the same thing. I put my back to nothing and face the enemy, I'm always moving so that I'm not predictable. Though I'm not moving far because I know where the enemy is, I'm still never in one place

                 

                I'll even use Bakaraa for this example. I'll start out in the sniper building and pick off the 1 or 2 garaunteed kills. Then I'll move to the center building and get the stragglers out of the spawn. Then move to the truck and watch the alley. Finally I'll move back to the sniper building and watch the contruction building for people coming out...then repeat

                • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
                  phxs72

                  I'm sure that the guy that I just killed thinks that I'm camping.  Fortunately, for me I'm not worried about it either way.  I think that we have similar playstyles.  Although you may not move around quite as much as I do but ultimately we are doing the same thing.  Part of being an effective rusher or camper is to change locations to keep the enemy guessing but we are both working our respective areas.  Oh no I let the cat out of the bag Good campers and good rushers aren't that much different.  But shhh don't tell anybody.  Zip ... gotta put my flame suit on for the die hard idealogs.  This thing is kinda stuffy.

                • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
                  monkeylord

                  ghamorra wrote:

                   

                  phxs72 wrote:

                   

                  Second, you're spot on about how a successful rusher is one that controls where they engage the enemy.

                   

                  You call that rushing, but I garauntee the person you killed twice was crying camper. The rushing in the video has a method to their madness. UAVs were up so he saw the enemy coming, instead of running full speed toward them he moved slowly with ready to shoot

                  Yeah thats why I turned myself into a walking UAV recon pro is easily the best perk for a rusher. Worse case scenario you lose the 1st gun fight but then you'll have someone lit up and from the direction of the arrow can get a pretty good feel for where his team is.

              • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
                monkeylord

                phxs72 wrote:

                I had a match a couple of nights ago on Bakarra and to be quite honest they other team was owning me the whole first half of the match while I was using an AR.  They were mostly using snipers and were just out gunning me.  So I decided to change it up and I pulled out my PM9 with Extreme Conditioning.  I got back in their camp area and went on an 8 or 9 killstreak and then continued to get the better of them the rest of the match by using cover and creating a mismatch between their guns and mine. When we got back to the lobby, one of them said that he was going to report me for cheating because he just couldn't understand how I could go from being so bad to owning them. LOL.  A good rusher will defeat most campers.

                Yeah adaption is one of the best aspects of COD people get stuck in a rut style wise. If getting outgunned i'll pull them into my area, slow it down a bit and do a lot of the jack in the boxing off the ground.

                However if they're sitting back then it's go loud time spam the camper areas flashbangs puts them on my map from there judge the best line of approach and then I light my self up just enough to draw them out then charge into them.

                The only bad thing was I was a bit of a d#ck by letting the one guy die but I knew if I held off i'd stand a good chance putting them all down.

  • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner

    My thing is this...  I'm getting just about tired of playing all of the Call of Duty games REALLY.  As you stated rushers shouldn't rush and campers shouldn't camp non of it works for me, not even taking it slow and easy.  Reason is due to the serious CHEATING in the game and a constant lag.  My internet speed is a dedicated fiber 35mbps over 35mbps so I can't really see why I lag 95% of the time.  I don't camp and never have because it's not playing the game it's more like killing time.  I'm more of a rusher with my controller sensitivity at 10.  I have my matches where I tone it down by not rushing if I notice the game lagging really bad.  When I tone it down and take it easy I would see a guy, I aim my gun and shoot before he starts shooting and the hit marker is there but he ends up killing me with only a couple shots from a freaking MP5.  I used to have good high stats and all have fallen way down due to this.  So at this point I no longer care about my stats due to the lag and constant CHEATING.  You pay $60 bulks for this game and you never have a fair fight.  I do manage to atleast still get about 10 to 13 kills each game where I used to get 20 to 30 kills every other game or so.  There are some that have a lower Internet speed than what I have and yet can get 30 to 40 kills every freaking game.  Now I'm not saying I'm the best or was the best or even trying to be the best but come on.  Even when I snipe with the MSR and shot a guy in the chest or head I end up having to shoot again and then there is a delay in giving me the point.  I love the way Battle Field 3 offers dedicated servers and you can even rent your own server and host.  I do like COD because of the graphics and most of my friends play but I've become extremely upset with the CHEATING and LAGS.

  • Re: Corner Camper versus Run and Gunner
    zvers

    All well thought out points and I agree with everyone's take so far. I'm glad to see that people do treat this game with mind vs mind logic. Just like chess.