9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 2:42 AM by dcnismo3 RSS

A hot issue for some. Is the sniper class unfair?

nflfenatic

I play this game a lot and still am definately not the best play but I have an opinion on Sniper Rifles and that is they are unfair in this game and the most unrealistic weapons on the game. If fact they pretty much ruin every game type in my opinion but this game is the worst for them. I'm sure snipers will have their opinion but I have mine too. I don't have a problem with the sniper that is in the corner or up in a sniper area watching an area unless they get a one shot kill for something other than a head shot. I know its a game but no other gun gets a one shot kill from any distance except a sniper rifle. Shotguns are up close and thats ok because they are at a disadvantage from distances. A run and gun quick scope, I would love to see that in real life with a 30 plus pound gun. I own several of these weapons and one from each class (except the launchers obviously) and I can say it is possible to quickly get shots off at any distance that would be on any of these maps except with a sniper rifle. That barret is a heavy sob. The RSASS weighs 15 lbs and actually shoots a smaller cartridge than the M14. The Druganov shoots the same cartridge as the M14. The true use of a sniper would be to cover an objective or to be support of other troops. Not to be on the offensive running and gunning. If you want to R&G use your secondary. In reality all these weapons would be a 1 shot kill. Also take the silencer off them. They can't be silenced only suppressed. If you silence a Barret it would be outdone by any of the weapons on this game. You have to slow the bullets down to less than 900 fps. At that speed a barret round might bounce off you. Not to mention the weapon would not cycle. I just believe it is an unfair class and would sure welcome being convinced otherwise but in the meantime I switched to hardcore gaming where snipers don't seem to be as thick. And many weapons get on shot or burst kills. Kind of strange that most of the best players don't play the advanced playlist but the regular playlist. Hopefully in BO2 they will fix the sniper to make it fair.

• Re: A hot issue for some. Is the sniper class unfair?
    obzi

What your trying to do here is compare a FPS game with real life and there is no comparison, you don't die in real life and then come back to life seconds later!  This is a game that children play, it's a bit of fun and nothing in it can or should be compared to real life.

That said I have seen games completely 'ruined' by snipers but that only happens when they are exceptionally good, I've seen guys use the gun as it was meant to be used (not QS) and with such speed and accuracy that you could hardly move because as soon as you do he just takes your head off.  I admire guys who are so good with this weapon, they can completely own the map but it's a complete b'stard if your on the other team.  There are so few guys who are good enough to do this though, and so few maps on MW3 that allows this to happen it's not really a problem.

SitRepPro

obzi wrote:

and so few maps on MW3 that allows this to happen it's not really a problem.

Yep.  Can you imagine some of the COD4 maps in MW3?  Countdown, Backlot, Pipeline, Ambush, Strike, Overgrown and Bog would be awesome for me to level up the snipers that may be these maps won't be dominated by the usual two weapons in the game.

SitRepPro

You cite sniper rifles on being unrealistic but you missed out the Javelin, that weighs a total of 35kg with one missile ready for launch.  Try running around the streets in real life with that weight on your back.

nflfenatic

I'm not the good at the metric sytem. What would that be in pounds. I really wasn't refering to movement  speed but the ability to hold a 30 pound rifle steady from the offhand position which I can't seem to do with mine. I have to use the bypod to shoot it.

SitRepPro

nflfenatic wrote:

I'm not the good at the metric sytem. What would that be in pounds. I really wasn't refering to movement  speed but the ability to hold a 30 pound rifle steady from the offhand position which I can't seem to do with mine. I have to use the bypod to shoot it.

77lbs.  The maps in this game impede against traditional sniper usage a lot so their usage is already lower than it would otherwise be so I'm guessing that's why they play like they do now.  Plus some of the snipers have low ammo too.  I tend to crouch when using snipers with some cover, like in the hotel on Seatown.

In fact, bolt action snipers could arguably be a one hit kill anywhere on the body to make it more realistic but your original post would suggest you'd hate that.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

nflfenatic wrote:

I play this game a lot and still am definately not the best play(er)

I felt the same way when I was new. They don't bother me a bit anymore. You'll learn how to deal with them in time.

Ive played COD since COD3 back in middle school. This call of duty sucks compared to the rest of their games for snipers. I remember I could sit in my corner of the map and get maybe 10-15 kills a game sniping and it was fun! I could watch all the fighting going on while I supplied cover fire during objective games. Now days its so hard to snipe unless you move constantly or you've mastered the art of quick scoping. Modern Warfare (the first one) was so amazingly pro sniper. They designed the levels with perfect amount of long shots, med shots, and close shots. I remember one level you could get on the roofs of barns and snipe thats some real s#it! I feel they are trying to make everyone use SMGs by making the maps so small now. Also the camo sucks. Who in there right mind would wear a guilly suit in the air port???? I feel like im wearing a santa suit everywhere I try sniping.

alot of these posts have some good ideas. I say take out the quick scope deal its bogus. also, a serious sniper like the barret will blow a person apart, or take off limbs. No way your surving a 50 to the torso chest neck or head. They should be one shot kills at any range always. Players should ONLY enter last stand from a sniper bullet to the legs or arms, not just because they died repeatedly. This would encourage accuraccy from the snipers and be more realistic. your not running off from a 50 to the leg, sorry. I also like the idea of them being invisible on radar. it will be a pain for me in the game hunting down the camper snipers but its better than the retarded quick scope they do after taking smg bullets to the chest. what i miss is the good ole kar98k from cod2. no scope just irons. the best one hitter quitter in a cod game to date.