45 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 6:59 AM by flkt RSS

Enable/Disable DLC Option for Black Ops II

sstang1

MW3 was the first time we had the option to easily select if we wanted to play with the new maps or not.

Lets face it, it seems to me that 2/3rds of players don't get the DLC so when you play with the new maps you are searching for games with a smaller player base which can sometimes lead to laggier games - so it was great to have the option of easily and quickly changing your "player pool".

I enjoy getting the new maps and will continue to buy them but sometimes it just seems I get better connections with the new maps disabled.  I paid for them and should have the option to use them or not.  My buddy - when playing Black Ops 1 was always getting frustrated with the connections when he had the new maps loaded - so he was constantly totally deleting and then later redownloading the map packs - in MW3 we didn't have to do this - push of the button and you are playing with original maps only.

Also another example of this being a useful option is when a game gets older - sometimes you cannot find a game for your DLC setup - for example another friend of mine only bought the first map pack for Black Ops and the other week we tried to play and could not get into any games.  Because he only has the first map pack he can only play with other people that only have the first map pack.  So basically his only option to find games is to delete the maps he paid for and play with no DLC - rather than just be able to disable it and maybe try again later.

I feel the disable/enable option was a great addition to the game.

I have been told in no uncertain terms by @DavidVonderhaar that we will not have this option in Black Ops II - which is disappointing.

My question to you is - did you use this option at all ? - and did you find it useful ?

• Re: Enable/Disable DLC Option for Black Ops II
    rlbl

can I get a thumbs up!?

I used this option all the time in MW3 for the exact reasons you mentioned. I barely ever played the DLC because the game play was crap due to lag.  Playing the new maps (as an elite subscriber) was a failure waiting to happen.

In BO, I always played the elite playlists when they came out though...

sstang1

I gave you a like.

It IS a good option and one I'm very sad to see go away.  Probably not much chance Vahn will reconsider - he said it hurt the chances of finding a good host for DLC players - while this is probably true - why force players to play with the DLC and in some cases you are punishing them for buying the DLC because the games are laggier.  It was nice to download the DLC play a few games then maybe disable until more people got the maps and gameplay improved. 

Having the OPTION was great.

wridtrvlr

I can't believe they can ever do away with that option. 

What makes them think that everyone will even purchase the DLC's when they come out??  This makes absolutely no sense and I hope for a change. 

So the game comes out with the OG maps and they release the first DLC.  The people with ELITE of course will dl the maps and have them, but then what about the general population?  What if this game is playing so bad by the first release no one wants to buy the DLC??  Then you have it, 2 segregated bodies of players that could never be matched up, creating more holes, weaker hosts, and poor matchmaking.  

Oh great, I have a feeling this may be my last CoD title. 

ghamorra

They seriously should get rid of DLC maps altogether. It's not working out because people don't care. The game is expensive enough as it is. To almost force the DLC down peoples throats isn't working. Just give everyone all the maps and find another less impactful way to make ELITE valuable

sstang1

If I was running the show - I would have made a $99.99 Hardened edition that included Premium Elite 2.0 and all Future DLC for "free" (included) - Don't make it a limited Edition, make as many as you can sell - I would have grabbed that for sure.  I think this would have resulted in more people having the new maps and a larger player pool for matchmaking.

Instead we get a $79.99 Hardened that only includes Nuketown 2025 and a Nuketown Zombies map.

wridtrvlr

I agree gman! 

sstang!; you also have a great idea.  Release the game at a price of say $99.  That will include any DLC's they release later in the games lifecycle and that'll avoid the possibility of there ever being a seperated population of players. 

I bet if we polled this right now it would be split down the middle with 50% saying they will buy every DLC that is released (or subscribe to ELITE) and 50% saying no way, I'll wait to see how the game plays before I feed more money to the ignoramous!!

Please DEVS, you need to listen up.  Having a DLC enable/disable option is really the only way to go.  We should NOT be forced into buying the DLC's in order to have a proper gaming experience.  If this is the case, then you can definitely count on this being my very last CoD title...

thebigb82

I don't like the dlc maps and I believe they should have an option to remove them, as for not releasing them.

I think, only me of course they should release the map packs January and that's it, no need for more than one, after all the dlc is made by one company anyway, Raven Software, surely they can work on one map pack while helping design the MP for Treyarch and IW

Foxhound-Pro

Here is Vahn's response to robsstang's inquiry on twitter.

Not going to happen. Not a good design. Makes the problem worse as you eliminate host candidates then nobody can get games.

If I'm reading your post correctly, then you're stating that users are being placed in and restricted to categories in the normal hopper. While I can see where you're going, I don't think that it is as concrete as your current statements make it out to be. Without the necessary background on how it works in Black Ops and Black Ops II, beyond user empirical evidence, it's hard to argue that this would be entirely beneficial.

Here's my understanding of how the process works.

Scenario: A recent COD title has released three DLC packs.

Core TDM hopper includes:

• Users with no DLC.
    • Users with all DLC.
    • Users with DLC 1 & 2
    • Users with DLC 1 & 3
    • Users with DLC 2 & 3
    • Users with DLC 1
    • Users with DLC 2
    • Users with DLC 3

From my understanding, any one of these groups can be matchmade with another pending the selectable maps in the lobby's current rotation or the map that is currently being played (join in progress).

Removing any or all of your maps would only hinder you as you search for a proper host in my opinion. I say this because if 2/3rds of the users don't have the maps, then users with all or some have a large pool to be matchmade into at the ready. Removing them will simply eliminate an additional chance to matchmake with someone who may have offered better results. That person isn't technically off limits to you, but for a brief moment they are. So it presents the question of why even bother removing your maps in the first place?

The only time I can see such strict categories of players as I think you're communicating is when a title update launches. You may have stayed up late or woken up early play with the latest changes, but that doesn't ensure that everyone local to you has done so also. So the risk of sub-par matchmaking exists because others from different timezones may have the update and you're funneled into their lobbies.

I think it'd be good to have this information discussed in detail post release, but it might get hung up in the 'ol proprietary information ringer.

sstang1

The way I understood the current matchmaking process is you can ONLY be matched with people having the exact same DLC setup as you.  I have seen people post that they have for example Map Pack 1 and Map Pack 3 and can't get into games at all - I have always advised them that this is probably a very small player pool (odd setup) and if they purchased Map Pack 2 it will most likely solve their problem - i.e. they are then placed in a much larger pool of players having that setup.

My best example was my buddy that only has Map Pack 1 for Black Ops - we tried and tried and were only able to get into one VERY laggy game and then weren't able to get into another.  Meanwhile I have all the DLC for Black Ops and have no problem getting games at all.  With the old system - really my buddy has no choice but to delete his Map Pack 1 and play with probably the largest pool online - those without any DLC.

Vahn did kind of elude to having some magic fix that will make disabling the DLC not as necessary - almost implying that Black Ops 2 will be able to mix "pools" of players - those that have DLC with those that do not.

If there is something like this maybe this will be less of an issue.

I guess we'll have to wait and see - I created this thread to let users know that this option will not be in Black Ops II and to get feedback.

wridtrvlr

Sounds to me like they are just re-inventing the wheel... 

They used almost the same system in WaW (i think) where it would match you to the room if they were currently playing a map that you had or getting ready to play a map that you have, but if another map that you didn't have came up in rotation, you just get kicked from that room and had to find another lobby.  Doesn't make sense but if it works, I'll take it. 

thebigb82

if its like W@W then people who don't have the dlc will be screwed, the game would only search for dlc games, if you didn't have it, it would kick you instantly

rlbl

Yes I remember that.

I borrowed a copy of W@W pre-MW3 to get another token. I would be in a full lobby and when game started I got kicked for not having the map.

When I try and play BO with my friends (lately) I have to be host because I have all DLC.  When my other friends (who do not have all DLC) are host, we never find a game.  I also remember in BO when someone in the party did not have DLC they got kicked if a DLC map came up in the rotation.

I am old, my memory could be bad.... but I cannot say as I do not remember it being good (Friday Humour)

Foxhound-Pro

wridtrvlr wrote:

Sounds to me like they are just re-inventing the wheel... 

They used almost the same system in WaW (i think) where it would match you to the room if they were currently playing a map that you had or getting ready to play a map that you have, but if another map that you didn't have came up in rotation, you just get kicked from that room and had to find another lobby.  Doesn't make sense but if it works, I'll take it. 

My example is my understanding of how it works in BO and MW3. The only time I've remembered seeing someone kicked is when a private match starts and the users don't have the maps.

Beyond that I've joined lobbies where some users have certain map packs and we connect to a lobby that features them, but then subsequent maps are core, and only core, for some time. So to refine my understanding.

• You're only matchmade into lobbies and lobbies-in-progress if you have the maps available.
        • Subsequent maps are restricted to what everyone has thanks to matchmaking which has improved over time.

If anything the wheel was reinvented after World at War. I also haven't had time to test this out, but the situation is so basic that I would expect it to be remedied or have been remedied.

The only way now to play against people without the dlc is to go in a party with someone who doesn't have the Revolution. I think it sucks that Treyarch didn't think of a way to toggle on and off dlc.

In MW3, it was the select button and I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented. I know it to play on these new maps but didn't Treyarch think people will ever get sick of it !

Or...if Treyarch doesn't want to make this feature (i don't see why) they could at least make hardcore and core modes in the Revolution playlist.

To those who delete and re download map packs there is an easier and quicker way to disable DLC of any kind.

Go to accout managment > system activation. Then follow on screen instructions for deactivating your video or game downloaded content.

Warning... MW3 terminal map is not an optional map its a *required* map to play MW3 online. If you use the deactivation process you will not be able to play MW3 until you reactivate it.

timelordalex

i would like a

Standard map only (maps on game)

standard maps and DLC

&

DLC only

I did use the option to disable DLC quite often, if I was playing late at night on clan ops I would disable DLC. a tip that I've never tried would be to move the maps to a usb stick then take them out when you have a problem getting good games.

sstang1

I was really hoping for more feedback on what I consider an important feature we had in MW3 thats being removed this time around.

otisman666

sstang1 wrote:

I was really hoping for more feedback on what I consider an important feature we had in MW3 thats being removed this time around.

What type of feedback?  Like from the Devs?  I don't think they frequent these forums all that much, you are better off on Twitter or FB.  Not to mention Foxy has already indicated that Vahn stated what their policy here is going to be.

Hey the solution is simple and one I used for all of BLOPs.  Just put the DLC on one of those memory stick things.  You don't want to play with the DLC, just pull the memory card.  Simple as that.

I don't pretend to know how the game works for matchmaking, I just know my experience from COD:4 forward has always been that playing with folks w/o DLC is always better for connection then playing with it.

Okay so, for those outside US or EU we are screwed and we cannot play with DLC?. Cmon.

Acaws

I totally agree that there should be the option to toggle off the DLC maps. In my opinion the people who want to play with rthe DLC maps can do this through the revolution playlist while if seaching in core, hardcore, combat training and party games playlists the maps will be automatically disabled.

I just bought the revolution DLC pack and now i am screwed having to wait for a longer time to find matches and having crapy connection. Each time i want to play hardcore with the original maps i have to uninstall the DLC which is ridiciolous.

Hello anyone from Activision/Treyarch listening??? when are you going to treat us paying clients properly?

IF I would have know this I would not have paid for the maps. Now I have people that can't join me that I know unless I talk them into buying these. That bites. Just let us toggle between dlc and standard maps for goodness sakes. Just like in nuke town 2025

Personally, it feels like COD is forcing us to play the DLC maps, regardless if we want to or not.  I wish that the Revolution maps were on their own, and not integrated into main stream maps.  Because now I find myself being put into DLC maps a lot more than the default maps, which is really annoying.

phxs72

I didn't use it in MW3 except if I wanted to stick to more familiar maps in MW3 for clan ops.  Otherwise I always play with the DLC on.  So far my experience with BO2 is that I'm not seeing anymore frequent lag issues with the DLC than I was before it released.  I did notice that the lag in the Revolution playlist was pretty bad to swing but playing the maps in the normal rotation doesn't seem to be an issue.

I would love to have a deactivate function just because I don´t like the maps that much and the people I played with had bad connections.

Since I deinstalled the dlc I had far better connection but now I can´t work on the peacekeaper.

Dlc disable would be real great I think and it shouldn´t be too hard to implement...

trialstardragon

I used the option maybe 10-20 times out of all the time I played the game. Was it useful? Only for when I did not want to play the dlc maps, not in finding matches. For I had little to no problem finding matches with dlc on compared to dlc off. So there was no real advantage to having the feature in the game at all to me. It was just  waste of code space that could have been better used for a different feature instead.

This effects the match finding because the cod server is looking for people that have this dlc too.

I myself had problems to find good games with a good connection since I installed the dlc.

Now I´ve deinstalled the dlc and everything works but now the peacekeeper is gone.

An implementation wouldn´t be waste of code, this view is simlpy egoistic.

It could help people like me or people that don´t like the maps but dont want to deinstall it because of the weapon...

trialstardragon

I have the dlc and not once have I had any problems finding a match within a short time because of the dlc. And even when playing mw3 turing off the dlc or having it on never affected me and how fast I found a game or not.

And yes in general that option was a waste of code space that could have been better used by a better feature. Just sounds like some just want the pk but not the dlc.. well sorry you do not get to have your cake and eat it too as the olde saying goes. One goes with the other as a package deal.

and you may not even be thinking that if they added in a dlc on/off button that it too may effect the pk and if it was available since it is part of the dlc. so disable dlc would disable the pk as well. So either you play the full game with all the maps or no pk for you .

What ignorant attitude...

You never had problems > well good for you but here´s something new: there are also OTHER players that do have problems. Whenever this might interest you or not there are people that have problems and / or don´t like the maps.

The disable function should only disable the maps not the pk otherwise this wouldn´t make any sense.

Also good that you are trying to say me and others what we should think or could expect.

Who do you think you are!??

Are you the owner of the company that decides every decision and force other people to think like you do?

Your post is the most rediculous and ignorant ones I´ve ever seen and that from a long term member.

Anyway you should realize that there are also other opinions no matter if they are realistic, you can put your arguments like any other adult in a respectful way or just be the ignorant kid like those cry babies that won´t be taken serious.

Though an enable/disable option would be nice, it more than likely isn't going to happen. Myself, I just deleted the DLC. Got it day 1 and have played the maps a lot and they just infuriate me. Waste of money? Well, 50/50 on that. I'm not really fond of the Peacekeeper, but others enjoy it.

The sand on Mirage makes me want to punch babies. I'll TRY to go prone to reload my weapon in the middle of a fire fight with a couple other teammates only to have the sand block my prone, resulting in my death.

I've have had some fun on the new maps, but the fun times are few. Deleted DLC and find myself enjoying the game more. Glad I didn't purchase the Season Pass like my friends nagged me to do.

I'll save buying Season Passes for games like Borderlands 2 (the only go thus far I've purchased a pass for) and the like.

Well, I don't like the maps at all, but I do like the Peacekeeper. Sure, I didn't spend a hell of a lot of money on the DLC, but I still spent money nonetheless.  As a paying customer, we should have the right to choose whether we want to play the new maps or not

trialstardragon

Actually no you do not get that choice, for though you bought the game the rights to what are in teh game or not still belong soley to the developers and not the players. Do not want the maps do not get the dlc. That is your ownly choice.

There is no need for the option just so others can have the little PK and not have to play the maps. And that is the only reaosn people really want the choice. To turn off the maps but keep the PK..

If they ever added the choice I hope it would disable the PK as well... and would do so for any new dlc weapons added as well. Play the full game with all the dlc or not at all...

Ok so i bought BO2. When i reached lvl 32 i bought the first DLC... the amounts if players online dropped with 50-80%. We had hard times finding games that wasnt TDM.

Now when the 2nd DLC came we cant find games anymore. ONLY TDM.

Multi-Team = ~20 players

CTF = ~25 players

note that this is world wide. good luck finding players with decent ping here...

Thanks alot for not having a enable/disable option, you just ruined my game. I just threw my cash in the lake.

I cant play this game anymore thanks to the none existing enable/disable option, me and my friend mostly play CTF and Multi-Team. Bedides that we play HC...

Only 600 online in HC TDM and only 1000 online at regular TDM.

Shame shame shame.....

EDIT: Im playing on PC so i cant force it to be turned off either like u can on consols.