21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 8:28 AM by monkeylord RSS

A run and gunners thoughts (wall of text)

monkeylord

There's a lot of talk from campers and how dumb/stupid/ sucicidal, headless chickens and basic all round knuckle draggers run and gunners are so I thought i'd lay out how  I see the game when I play.

I used to love HQ on MW2 (there is a point) Skidrow used to be a favourite of mine. The building at the back pops up it's the one with the staircase leading up on the outside and opposite what I think was a video store. Any way the HQ would pop i'd follow a standard pattern wait nearby untill the clock hits 15 clear out the house using  the noobtube.

Then claymore back door by the sofa and go perch on the fridge. Anyone who has spent time on that fridge will agree it's easily the best place to camp that HQ you can see in through the video store and the hallway across through the window the claymore would kill  anyone that takes the back stairs and if someone comes up the side stairs you've always got the drop on them. 9 out of 10 times if you got flash banged, if you just stayed still they'd run past.

See i'm fully aware of how to camp and can see the appeal but the flaw with camping is a massive one it needs the enemy to be stupid that place on the fridge is the best to camp and would always bring in 10-15 straight kills but it's stupidly easy to kill someone on it if you just use the noob tube.

How many people stupidly ignore a perfectly good tool all because someone will call them noob?. When I was practicing clearing out the backroom on Hardhat you better beleive I was using the FMG akimbo untill I got comfertable with the most common spread of people.

Campers do well at the start of a CODs life then rushers click into where they are, come on be honest if you've been playing this game more than 3 months I could name a map and 3-4 areas would pop into your head where a camper normally hangs out.

Like the backroom on hardhat in the corner just to the left of the door mostly crouched, if they're lying down strangly they normally drop an akimbo machine pistol,if they're standing up expect MP9, akimbo MP9 or FMG. Also somewhere between the head glitch area or the barrel they'll be somebody so flashbang/RPG and break to the left firing some caution rounds left of the door about waist hight but also use the movement to check the back barrels a popular place for TI sitters.

Thats how I as a run and gunner see the map I it as a set of locations campers normally hide and my job is to clear them out. When I play as a  camper I look at the map as areas to control. It's a giant game of hide and seek and time is always on the side of the seeker.

See thats why run and gunners don't get why campers insist that they have the more tactical gameplay at first it's true but they don't learn anything and relly totally on the enemy being dumb whilst the run and gunner says "Yeah you're gonna kill me and get a right pretty plane....but i'm gonna destroy you no matter how much you win or lose by you're gonna feel like crap even if the score is 56-20 in your favour i'm still gonna drop my stealth just on the off chance i'll buzz kill someone and end a long streak, i'll make sure all that time you spent getting stuff in the air was a complete waste because i'm gonna put it all down and most of it won't even get a kill, hey predator me I love revenge spawns and the extra 250 points also we're gonna win whilst you coat tail hangers pray your run and gunners don't let you lose by to much."

Run and gunners get to see COD at it's best and at it's worst we win rounds and feel great we lose rounds and still feel great because we always finsih top.

On the objective modes we play like Chuck Norris we relive the 80's action warfilms we dodge a RPG and C4 5 people before grabbing the win from a team who was better in every way but had no idea how to controll the objective. Campers? oh they got a AC130 ~meh~ I got 40 kills, 4500 points and a +KD.

Rushers win campers hang on for the ride.

• Re: A run and gunners thoughts (wall of text)
    ghamorra

Just as a side note here:

Campers have always been given lots of crap for their playstyle even though most of the time it's unjust. Now that campers have started pulling together to show just how pointless most "anticamping" arguments are I've been seeing a lot of whining (not from you just in general) about how rushers are being "targeted"

So bottom line. Camping has it's place just as much as rushing has it's place. They all have their ups and downs and they balance each other out perfectly

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i rush because i think i have ADD or something. LOL. i like to snipe on certain maps. it's fun.. a "relaxing" break and lots of LOLs when i piss off the other team (i am pretty effective with the RSASS/kick/silenced).

but, for the most part, i rush becuase it's exciting. it's fast, lots of gun fights, and i kill lots of campers. it's a.. "rush". pardon the pun. winning the gun fights is most fun, though. that really pisses off the other team. haha.

anyway. that's my reason. i don't have the patience to camp. hell, even when i snipe, i move around. every snipe spot i use has two lanes i aim down.

let's just put it this way: in real life i'd be the worst sniper. EVER.

monkeylord

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT wrote:

am. haha.

anyway. that's my reason. i don't have the patience to camp. hell, even when i snipe, i move around. every snipe spot i use has two lanes i aim down.

let's just put it this way: in real life i'd be the worst sniper. EVER.

Well surprisingly given that COD is layed out as 2 special force teams engaging in an urban enviroment which requires snipers to be way more fluid it's the reason for light sniper rifles the enemy is to fluid to set a nest with any purpose so it's move and aquire targets on the go.

monkeylord

BOOM you can't have one without another everyone doin the same crap will get boring it's worth it if all we have to suffer for it is the odd dude who only wants a high KD and MOAB count then it's a good trade off even kill whores have a place in a structured team.

rlbl

A good mix of everything on each time is great.  The problem is, most people refuse to see this.

As I said in another post, I know I play differently depending on the game mode, map and how the other team is playing.

In short, I do the opposite that the other team is.  If they are playing slow, I play fast.  If they want to rush in the same direction, I will be there camping my ass off waiting for them.

In some game modes (like KC) I never camp.

monkeylord

Yeah I hear yah but the strange thing is if someone camps a house and collect 6 tags it's hard to argue they damaged a team it's just the one's who refuse to play the objective there's a place for them but when you playing with randoms and they are on your side it's harder to win because kill whores need feeding and randoms don't see this so the spawns sooner or later get ugly and it's normally mid-round where the score swings one way or another and it's time to slow it down and lock them in.  It's always important to have at least a 10 tag lead at mid point any less and it can swing round on a junk spawn where you end up half the map away. ~sigh~ I overthink it I just like to find the perfect flow of a round that'll work 99% of the time even solo.

erikpemberton

Strategic run 'n' camp, that's my playstyle. Run 'n' gun is great, but sometimes the enemy team is stupid and arrogant and refuses to accept that you knocked them from their magic perch. In those cases, it's great to wait for 10-15 seconds and kill 'em again a couple of times before moving on.

Also, I think both points people are making here are valid. The issue isn't with one style vs. the other, it's the extremes. The worst run 'n' gunners are cowboys who ignore reality and rush everything all the time (and get killed accordingly). During 24/7 Overwatch, I kept getting stuck with people who were going 4-19, 5-22, etc. That doesn't help anyone! And with campers, it's cool if you're holding down an objective (I do that religiously in DZ) or if you're blocking off an access route to help out your team (I do that too in certain modes/levels), but if you're literally just sitting in the back of the plane on Terminal ADSing the entire match, you're an ******* and a liability to your team.

In the interest of being a total hypocrite despite having no real reason to do so, I'll admit that when I was getting into MW3 and hadn't built the skill/map knowledge/gun knowledge/experience that I rely on today, I did nothing more than hide until I could get uncontested kills. Then I went through a period of "run towards where skulls are popping up and just hold down R1 as you run by with your MG36". So... I get both extremes, and I understand what it's like to be in the state of mind that leads you to play that way. But that doesn't make it any less infuriating to be losing in an objective game mode because 2-3 of the randoms you got paired up with are doing one of those 2 things.

Hopefully my post leaves you more confused and conflicted about this topic. If so, I've done my job here.

I run and gun and ****, problem? *Trollface.jpg*

wridtrvlr

I'd say that I run&gun 99% of my time, other times I am patrolling a certain area because the mindless idiots keep coming back. 

This nets me wins probably 95% of the time.  I can win games on my own and with a party.  My first two games of HCKC proved that yesterday.  I experienced BOTH my team and the enemy team camping their spawns(all of them were rando's), not to leave the entire match, leaving me to do all the work for the win.  They were getting kills but not collecting tags....  Needless to say both of those games I ended with a score above 5500 and only the 2nd game I didn't go positive.  EVERYONE on both teams had less then 2000 points when the match was over.  It was just pathetic. 

The second game I was pretty sure not a single person on my team collected a tag, but we still won the match like 50-39 or something.  Campers can only win games in TDM or FFA, where each kill counts towards the score limit.  The campers I ran into yesterday were just horrible players to be in KC.  There is no possible way to win a match of KC when everyone on your team is sitting in a corner. 

monkeylord

wridtrvlr wrote:

They were getting kills but not collecting tags....  Needless to say both of those games I ended with a score above 5500 and only the 2nd game I didn't go positive.  EVERYONE on both teams had less then 2000 points when the match was over.  It was just pathetic. 

The second game I was pretty sure not a single person on my team collected a tag, but we still won the match like 50-39 or something.  Campers can only win games in TDM or FFA, where each kill counts towards the score limit.  The campers I ran into yesterday were just horrible players to be in KC.  There is no possible way to win a match of KC when everyone on your team is sitting in a corner. 

Yeah in my eyes thats how KC should always been done you should always strive to be top and I remember playing with you and you run hard and smart.It's not often me and the mrs lose out on the most kills confirmed accocolade but you pipped us to the post.

But as you said each mode requires a certain style of play and overall KC is the home of the run and gunners

wridtrvlr

That is the sole reason I play KC.  It totally fits my playstyle of non-stop, in your face with my SMG, grabbing your tag, your buddies tag and his friends, moving onto the next spawn and repeating.  I love it!! 

It is probably the only reason I continue to play MW3.  I'd say hands down it is the best thing that IW/SH/Activision came up with in this title. 

Get me on DOM or S&D and that pulls for a more "patrol" type playstyle and I get bored easy. 

I'll have to stray from my safer HC mode to game it up with you and the mrs. sometime.   

monkeylord

wridtrvlr wrote:

That is the sole reason I play KC.  It totally fits my playstyle of non-stop, in your face with my SMG, grabbing your tag, your buddies tag and his friends, moving onto the next spawn and repeating.  I love it!! 

It is probably the only reason I continue to play MW3.  I'd say hands down it is the best thing that IW/SH/Activision came up with in this title. 

You just squished my wall of text into a clear concise point. I really hope BOPs2 has KC

monkeylord

wridtrvlr wrote:

I'll have to stray from my safer HC mode to game it up with you and the mrs. sometime.   

You're always welcome in core we'll show the randoms how to run lol