13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 1:43 PM by Work_Hard_Play_Hard RSS

Black ops and MW3 would appear to have slowly killed my 18 mth old PS3

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

I like many other people have had problems with disc read errors and screen freeze however it has normally only been for the first 30 mins or so (when PS3 is cold) on MW3, however now it does not even register that there is a disc in the system, so I tried BO, that was the same.

Leave it to warm up for 30-40 mins it then works?

Last couple of days I have set to work completing WAW campaign on veteran, now even though the game loads up straight away(when ps cold) it does not load up the level until after 30-40 mins.

Anyone else with same problem, I have tried a blueray cleaner but no difference.

Does anyone know the estimated lifespan of a PS3 Blue ray (hours)

• Re: Black ops and MW3 would appear to have slowly killed my 18 mth old PS3

Like any electronic gadget,the life span expectancy is not known for sure.It can last year,months,or even days. I guess it's just luck of the draw. Mine is also around 17 months old and I also only played BO and MW3. 300+ hours on each game,and so far it hasn't acted up.(knocks on wood) Have you tried to open it up and clean the dust?  Just like a computer that starts to act slow because of dust,a PS3 would be the same I assume.

whytie84

If my ps3 was like that I'd take it to a repair shop an get it looked at properly. Although I'm sure opening it up for a good clean wouldt do it any harm.

I've played my ps3 a hell of alot. Over 20 days on mw2, over 15 on blops, prob near 20 on mw3. Plus all the other cods before and many other games.

I reckon in total around 70 days played and I don't have too many problems. I get occasional game freezes and that only occurs with cod, especially mw3. It happened on BF3 occasionally too. (I have an upgraded 80gig fat ps3 btw)

Good luck getting it fixed. On the plus side, if u need a new one, they new super slim looks smart.

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

Thanks for your reply, the super slim does look pretty cool. I am reluctant to get ps repaired lots of dodgy stories of charging for new blu rays then breakdown shortly after, (prob only cleaned but charge you for new part).

I was hoping this would last until Ps4 comes out, goes to show even Sony cant guarantee quality products, sons xbox must have 4 x more hrs played and still like new(download to harddrive!)

I may try to clean myself, if I bollock it up I will maybe get a superslim!

wridtrvlr

I've had my slim for about 4 years now, not a single issue but most of the games I've played were dl'd to the hd.  MW3 makes my PS3 scream at times, but I've never had any disc read errors.  I just hope that BOPS2 will dl most of the info needed to our hd's.  Less stress on our machines and I'm not buying a new PS until the release of PS4. 

ghamorra

Like mentioned before giving a good cleaning and keeping it in an open area will help a ton. You get dust in there and everything goes to Hell in a hurry. I'd try that before getting it fixed at a shop

Also my friend had to repair his PS3's Blu-ray drive, the drive itself was $80 and it's a pain in the ass to fix. You'd have more luck buying a new one

Izjar11

Work_Hard_Play_Hard wrote:

I like many other people have had problems with disc read errors and screen freeze however it has normally only been for the first 30 mins or so (when PS3 is cold) on MW3, however now it does not even register that there is a disc in the system, so I tried BO, that was the same.

Leave it to warm up for 30-40 mins it then works?

Last couple of days I have set to work completing WAW campaign on veteran, now even though the game loads up straight away(when ps cold) it does not load up the level until after 30-40 mins.

Anyone else with same problem, I have tried a blueray cleaner but no difference.

Does anyone know the estimated lifespan of a PS3 Blue ray (hours)

BOPS was the only game that I had to do constant hard reboots becuase the game would get the system stuck.

If you PS3 is not working, heres a "thug" tip: Buy a new one, replace with old one and return. Best place to do this? TARGET! they never check or ask why!

BanHaMMer

ok,

MW3 is constantly writing and re-writing to your HDD, putting great pressure on your Optical drive. I would even go so far as to say, unnecessary intense pressure.

• The fail time for MW3 on the PS3 when played in MP mode is just shy of 600 hours. (fact)
    • If you can play another game in your PS3 with out any issues that you are having in MW3. Your Optical Drive is about to fail (fact)
    • Eventually it will not read any games you place into your PS3. Optical drive has failed. (fact)
    • Next time use a SSD, this has been proven to help. ( marginally)
    t-fibby

Your laser is about to give up, I'm afraid cleaning it might not help. Different versions of the PS3 have bit different lasers and it seems they all do not last the same time. I bought a fat 40gb model back in January 2008 and if i remember correctly it died before 2009 ended. And i didn't even play that much back then. I've heard that you shouldn't keep a disc in the system and let it run if you are not playing because it still occasionally accesses the disc and can overheat, but that might just be a rumour.

When my old system broke in the end of 2009, i got a 250gb slim one which i still have and it has nearly 700hrs of MP played on both MW2 and MW3, and nearly 500hrs of MP on BO. And in addition single player campains in CoD's and other games as well, and many hours of MP on CoD4 and WaW aswell. So it has been very durable, especially when you take into account that BO hard freezed constantly. Since BO2 has the install textures feature, I'm hoping the system will last until the next gen consoles are released, if not i will mostlkely try to fix it before getting a new one.

How long your laser will last all comes down to luck, which version you have (the 40gb fat ones have died on me and also on all my friends), and running temperature. If possible, keep the system in a place where it has free flow of air and far away from any external heat sources.

I repaired the broken 40gb fat PS3 later on myself, used it as a bluray player / media server in another room for about a year (and played CoD on it occasionally also) and then solf it to a friend who still has it and it works well. There replacement of the laser is really easy to do and the internet and Youtube is full of instructions, and the job gets even easier if you buy a replacement unit that has the laser ready attached to it's chassy. I took the PS3 apart by following simple instructions i found on the net and then looked up the proper laser+chassy combo based on the markings on the laser and ordered replacement parts from Ebay for approx. 40 €, put it back together and it was sorted.

I assume the slim one should be as easy to fix because the main difference between the old fat and the later slim model are in the power supply, the old one has an internal one and the slim one was made smaller and quiter by making the power supply external so space was saved and the fans didn't need to run on full blast because the main source of heat was removed. Maybe look up a few repair vids on Youtube and then decise if you can repair it.

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.