20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 6:32 PM by SayittomyfaceyouBox RSS

SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO?

robbierocket

Following on from krazyG7804's excellent comments about being thrown into games already well under way, I'm trying to think a little bit PRO-ACTIVE here.

A big prevention of the problem is reducing the desire to quit, and therefore reduce the sheer number of games requiring "filler" players as well as encourage those few who, on occasion are required to "fill", to stay until the end.

+ Reasons to stay...

+ Reason to stay
current motivator
additional possible motivators
profile progressionpersonal enjoyment, XP, levels, Prestige, unlocks, statisticsmake XP acquired for no action (just completing game time), have GAME COMPLETION % as a statistic and related to challenges, have challenges and unlocks relating to entering late and staying in games
honourpersonal pridehonour rating based on GAME COMPLETION %, for example "Die Hard" for 95%+ [19 out of 20 games], "Dropout" for 50% and less.
achieve a winpersonal pride, statisticalchallenges related to entering a game late and winning or even "catching up" with the enemy (reducing the score difference should earn XP)
playing at presentfun, instant entertainment, timemore likely to host next match (where hosting has a minor advantage over a balanced well-matched lobby)
help teammatespersonal pride, kindness, selflessness, team spiritXP rewards, challenges related to teamwork
challenge, test, practicepersonal challenge, self-improvementXP rewards and challenges to be big if you enter and overthrow a score, special "reinforcements" or "super subtitute" trophies or challenges

- Reasons to leave...

- Reason to leave
current motivator
possible deterrent
game lossstatisticaldon't award losses for games entered late (or don't affect GAME COMPLETION % or honour ratings)
poor match qualityfrustrationimprove matchmaking and hosting
game not going to planrage and little consequence for quittingtime penalty before able to enter a new game
real life interaction (phonecall, meal, etc.)needless deaths worse than a losshibernate mode, player can go "further than prone" and remain that way until end of game - cannot move or achieve kills, cannot be awoken, can be killed, but very hard to spot and has all "no detection" perks on until match end
hostinghost lag compensation is badmake host-selection better and make hosting like MW2: host has minor advantage over rest of lobby, which is balanced and well-matched locally
enemy scorestreaksfurther deaths, especially when teammates (not self) gave enemy streaksincrease XP and challenges for surviving, resisting, countering, destroying or corrupting enemy scorestreaks

• Re: SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO?
    thebigb82

I quit game only for these reasons: -

1. The lag is so bad even though I have 4 bars

2. Hit detection is terrible, due to no.1

3. I enter a game where the score line is so one sided that I would lose anyway

4. I stay in the joined game and get spawn trapped

featherman84

Well done Mr RobbieRocket well done.

When I am no longer enjoying the game is when I leave.

wridtrvlr

Great charts robbie!!  You make good points for both sides of the argument. 

There was a thread in the PS3:MW3 forums about a system that would almost "lock" players into a room when they are searching.  So you start you search, get thrown into a pre-game lobby and once the teams are set and the sides distributed, you are no longer allowed to back out.  Relieves some of the stresses of people backing out b/c they don't like their teammates and starts the matches quicker. 

This solution really only works for the pre-game lobbies as once the match started, if you wanted to back out (for a loss) you could, but the system would never fill the lobby back up.  So if your team starts to quit and you are finding yourself 1v6 you'd be SOL but maybe have a good time owning the other team, while getting owned yourself!! 

I don't think this satisfies all the problems of they matchmaking system the DEVS will have in place, but I think it is a start. 

thebigb82

so what if your against a clan of 9 people on a ground war and you have 8 randoms with you, if that's me I am backing the **** out

robbierocket

This happened unintentionally on WAW too. However, funny as it is WAW had many things that were not intended but worked.

This was one example of changing the game dynamics - in some games it would be 4-6 v 2-3 for 5 mins then reinforcements would come in. Another way was how hosting worked and even in a poor lobby, if you stuck with it then you'd gradually get a better connection until you were the host.

But, locking in as you say will never combat shut offs, for whatever reason. This would be best combated with massive incentives and deterrents.

Arkitek

The only bad thing I see here is the Real Life interaction part. The Deterrent, "Hibernation mode" would be game-breaking.

Example:

Team A (6 players) and Team B (6 players) are in a game. Team A set up defense at their base, preparing for a kill. A player on Team A gets a kill, and immediately all players on Team A go into hibernation mode. The score is in favor of Team A, and Team B cannot find them, so they lose due to time limit.

This would be abused so much.

legguh

I used to be too proud to leave games, rarely backed out unless I was on a really poor connection.

Since Black Ops and Mw3, I stopped caring about win/loss ratio and I'll just back out whenever framerate or game gets fustrating and I stop having fun.

robbierocket

Precisely, and what changed? What were the biggest factors that made quitting rise?

POSSIBLE/PROBABLE EXPLANATIONS:

- hosting moved from being advantagious to detrimental

- increase in lag due to reduced quality matchmaking

- more reasons for rage [community splitting gaming styles & OP elements]

- fickle, younger, shorter-term atypical player

- devaluation of W/L-quit statistics, less prestige in COD

i quit cause.....

1. hosting became horrible from blackops threw mw3

2. i have no interest hot joining a game, feels like i'm fighting someone elses battle.

3. lag is horrible.

4. cannot stand map (example/ terminal)

5. no incentive to help a team of baffoons out getting hammered

SubZeroPS3

Awesome chart

nicka_denton

The only reasons I rage quit are:

1 - join game with red dot/overseas connection where you shoot a full clip into a guy and get killed by one bullet from them when they turn around when reloading
    2 - when the other team is spawn killing on HC Dom and you literally can't take a step (wall shooting in Terminal A spawn/spawning in the downstairs bit on Underground)
    3 - Enemy team is tubing the whole time/playing TDM on Hardcore Dom and not playing the objectives - (i.e - at the end of a match I have 50ish kills with 40ish death with most Caps and a win and only 2 of those deaths are from bullets) <-- although ususally with this one I will stay and leave after the game, will just get the win and try my best to just piss of the other team