18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 1:41 AM by biron_w RSS

Can we have host advantage BACK please?

biron_w

Some people will say this is a bad idea but I say it's a good idea. Why? It will stop the host from dashboarding when they can't get a kill and therefor ruining a game for 11 other people.

MW3 was horrible for the host dashboarding. There's nothing more annoying than when you're having a good game and you're suddenly greeted with a message saying you lost connection to the host.

I'm quite happy for 1 player to have an advantage if it means everybody else in the lobby will have a good game.

• Re: Can we have host advantage BACK please?

I don't think treyarch is going forward with the idiotic dis-advantage that was put into play during MW3. Why dis-advantage the guy who is doing everyone a favour and hosting your game, idiotic logic. Anyway we can't tell for sure because all game expos were played on LAN matches so its not fair to assume thats how it will play online - you could try tweeting Vahn, doubt you'll get an answer though.

pj600r

When Vahn was asked about it in a recent interview he was a bit cagey about it, it was like he didn't want to commit himself.

Sorry haven't got a link for the clip.

kemicalsupreme

Does anyone have proof of MW3 intentionally giving host a disadvantage?  I have yet to read this anywhere.  Is this just an assumption?

As for giving back host advantage?  Host should go to the person who has best connection.  I am wondering what your exactly asking here?  Having host in MW3 is darn near impposible to tell.  Are you asking to have a reaction and hit detection by having host vs other people like it was back in other COD games?  I would rather not have this.  This is coming from me who pulls host 90% of the time.  Its more fair that way.

ChronoZombie

I think if you are the host there should be a huge flashing sign on your screen that says "YOU ARE THE HOST OF THIS MATCH.  IF YOU DISCONNECT IN ANY WAY YOU WILL BE AWARDED 100 DEATHS AND 50 LOSSES".     Hell, it should cost you xp.

Suck it up and lose, then leave when the match is done and play a different game mode so you don't get back in the lobby with the team that mashed you.  That's what I do.

squirrelness

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you rarely, if ever, pull host in MW3, because if you did I'm sure you wouldn't feel this way.

I have no problem whatsoever getting my 'butt whipped', but when I have no chance whatsoever due to lag, please explain what fun is it for me?  So I should 'suck it up' because the game programmers screwed me over and let everyone have fun? 

Yeah, I think not.

There are different degrees to which you are affected by host lag.  If it's moderate I will stay 99% of the time and just adjust my game play, but there are certainly times when I'm dead before I ever see my killer and when I get fed up and leave I discover I was the host a large portion of the time.

vims1990

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you rarely, if ever, pull host in MW3, because if you did I'm sure you wouldn't feel this way.

I have no problem whatsoever getting my 'butt whipped', but when I have no chance whatsoever due to lag, please explain what fun is it for me?  So I should 'suck it up' because the game programmers screwed me over and let everyone have fun?

That's the problem. They don't understand.

For people who don't host in MW3 or their connection isn't up to standard, why should I host a match for you whilst you reap the rewards of insta-killing whilst I have to shoot more than the required number of bullets?

How is that an enjoyable experience for me when I have to work twice as hard for my kills or that I don't have a chance to win gunfights?

It can't be my connection  I have a decent gaming router. I'm on a wired connection & I've tweaked my setting to make sure I have an optimal connection.

I'm hosting therefore my connection is the strongest in the lobby. My ping is much lower than what you're getting when you connect to my console/server however I have to shoot more. (unless the devs are intentionally adding artifical latency to my connection)

biron_w

There is definitely something going on in MW3 with regards to the host somehow being gimped.

I know because I have a friend who has a decent connection. If they join a lobby and aren't the host then they are fine but as soon as the game picks them as host then they have serious problems killing people.

And rather than the host having an advantage just make sure they aren't getting a DISADVANTAGE.

Fickle Imp - i'm well aware of host advantage having played Gears 1 & 2 a lot. That is at the very extreme end up host advantage IMO.

vims1990

If you want to know if you're host in MW3, check the loading screen:

If it says "Awaiting Challenge....." - You're host

If it says Awaiting Connection...." You're NOT host

"Awaiting Challenge" basically means you're waiting for the other players to connect to your "server" (console)

"Awaiting Connection" means that you're attempting to connect to the host

In terms of host advantage, I want to make this clear.

I support an even playing field but from playing MW3 i don't think the devs have properly tested or can possibly provide an even playing field.

Reason being at this time, not everyone can be placed on an even playing field

The host is the server. The host has control over the match. The host can end it on their own terms.

Now with giving a host a disadvantage, you're giving them more reason to dashboard or matches constantly interrupting with multiple host migrations.

I'd rather have 1 host have a slight advantage rather 6 or 9 (for GW) players have an advantage over the host.

I don't think players with less than adequate connections or a player joining a foreign lobby should be given a "boost."

It gives players with decent connections to avoid host or somewhat look for ways to downgrade their connection.

At the end of the day, the host is the player/server running the match for you.

Without a host, there is no match.

nicedrewishfela

Ridiculous.

The best thing they could do is improve the connectivity so we are all on an even playing field. No advantage to anyone beyond individual ability and teamwork.

Dropping few hundred thousand dollars for each platform to have dedicated servers would be a nice way to fix it....

myevo8you

Here we go again. DEDICATED SERVERS WILL NOT FIX LAG. In all actuallity it will make the game play WORSE. Dedicated servers will only add to the issue of being out of sync, especailly with the large playerbase of the COD franchise. Dedicated servers will make it to where EVERYONE will run on the connection that they have. This will lead to lobbies full of uber fast and uber slow speeds making the game feel different for every player. While the way MW3 handled connections, and especially host connections was horrible, Black Ops had it just about right. MW2 was hit and miss, W@W was better that MW2, and COD4 was good as well.

As far as Black Ops goes when you were host the game would feel more "in sync" and the only issues that I had while host (I would pull host 95%+ of the time) was when splitscreeners with poor internet were in the lobby. MW3 is just pure dreadful. I played for about 3 weeks after it's release and when I would get into a game where I would unload 20+ bullets into an enemy to get 1 hitmarker I would quit. Guess what happened then? HOST MIGRATION.

mdub

fickle_imp wrote:

Dropping few hundred thousand dollars for each platform to have dedicated servers would be a nice way to fix it....

A few hundred thousand dollars?

If you were on The Price Is Right..... Bob Barker would have punched you out for making that bid!

Thanks for the laugh!

T-boss

the MW3 lag comp system was suposed to nerf the host to the connectiviy of everyone else so its even.

obvoulesly they didnt even come close.

I don't think you know what a host advantage is.

True host advantage is when the host (or even the host's team) of a peer to peer match has a blatant advantage over the other team due to having a faster connection because they're the only ones with the direct connection to game's servers. See: Gears of War 1 or 2. You can shotty roll all day but if you don't have host, chances are you won't win because of the ridiculous lag their shitty networking always had.

That5What5Up

You guys all need to get your act together and remember that it was actually pretty good for most in MW2.  Apparently, it was pretty good for almost everyone in MW1. 

Thus, they MUST have gotten it right at some point.

What devs say and what they do are two different things.  I dont believe a thing they say unless I see it for myself anymore.  As someone who pulls host for cod games mw2 and beyond, I know how the situation has evolved.  I know how it changed, how the devs denied it at first, then how they, and many other forumers, lied about it.  People are like that.  You'll never convince anyone other than yourself.  This forum needs a solution to the issue.  One it needs, but doesn't deserve.

And all I can say to you people is this:  If you believe you are being disadvantaged, do what I did.  Buy a new router, one built for gaming, one with a lot of settings to tinker with. Learn the basics of configuring it.  Google things if you have to

Not that I'm suggesting anything illegal, because that would be wrong, right mods?

I played mw3 since its release and i can say over the patches they put out the connectivity has improved each time. Now i play bo on my 360 (got black ops a month ago) and the lag on this game is way worse

biron_w

They DID have it right in MW1 & MW2.

In those games I would join a lobby with a decent host. The host would stay because they weren't getting screwed over and players would stay in the same lobby for hours.

Whereas in MW3 i'd join a lobby with a decent host,the host woud get screwed so they'd leave. I'd then end up with a host that was no good for me so i'd end up leaving myself.

The netcode/matchmaking/host advantage/sytem/whatever from MW1 & MW2 NEEDS to be brought back IMO.