25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 2:20 PM by Th3_Aw3S0me_Yxcell RSS

Thread turned into Javelins are tough to carry?

Moofda

Here we are, in an endless war. We have extremists on both sides, "hardscopers" or what I would call "purist snipers" vs the quickscopers. I've found solace in the fact that I can utilize both regular scoping and quickscoping when necessary. Although, I still could use some practice in regards to quickscoping.

This video features extremists from both sides. CMDR Dddhawsekesher (world renown quickscoper) and Lt. Kanga ( A purist sniper) (Both characters quite possibly fictional) They argue their reasoning for their taste of using the sniper rifle.

Is there room for both? I've adapted and acquired the necessary skills to use a sniper in more versatile enviornments. However, I will always prefer staying back and using the sniper rifle in a role where I think it's the strongest.

While I don't understand pure quickscopers, or at least their hate for people who use the sniper rifle in a normal manner, I can at least respect the way they choose to play the game. ( I expect the same respect back, usually non existant)

However, the term "hardscoper" leaves a bit of disgust in my mouth and I'd like for that term to be buried, never to be found again. Respect is a dish best served both ways, so let us all unite? Ok cheesy.. and it will never happen. As long as "quickscoping" is  a part of the game. Thoughts?

• Re: The Great Debate. Quickscope, "Hardscope", Or both? -Video
    xFANCY_KIWIx

Easy. Quickscoping is flipping stupid and anyone who does it most of the time has a bloted ego. "hardscoping" isn't real. You can't give a name to something that already has a name and that name is SNIPING. Anyone who whines about "hardscoping" is stupid.

TheSurgeon83

I enjoy sniping from time to time. I have no respect for QSers though, I see them dancing around with tacs next to them and take the oppertunity to level my gun up and get easy kills (or troll them with a throwing knife kill if I'm bored). I've pulled off a few QS' when bumping into an enemy while on the move but it's more of a 'panic scope' if that makes sense.

SitRepPro

Moofda wrote:

However, the term "hardscoper" leaves a bit of disgust in my mouth and I'd like for that term to be buried, never to be found again. Respect is a dish best served both ways, so let us all unite? Ok cheesy.. and it will never happen. As long as "quickscoping" is  a part of the game. Thoughts?

I don't quickscope but how is "hardscoping" really the way snipers are meant to be used?  You're either a mobile scout sniper, and/or you camp in a building with either a Bouncing Betty or a Claymore covering your back, sniping people off from around 50m to 200m away.  Snipers pick people off in the order of miles using ghillie suits adapted to substantial cover waiting for their kills for days on end if need be.

hardscoping is using the sniper rifle the way its supposed to be used, zooming in tracking your target and taking them out. quickscopers started that word to try and make fun of the person using the sniper rifle the right way and owning them so they came up with that term to try and make themselves feel better. in all actuality the hardscoper is the one thats the better sniper because he is actually sniping, cheapscoping is just what it is a cheap exploit. a sniper rifle is for long shots picking people off from the other side of the map not that nonsense being a foot away from me and bam head shot! osk. so hardscoping is sniping so yes thats the way its supposed to be used.

SitRepPro

I know the definitions of the terms.  The "hardscoping" sniping seen in MW3 isn't actually what happens in the military anyway, for those who relate to realism.  I wouldn't bother trying to quickscope because my sniper doesn't have much ammo (AS50).  Hitmarkers are bad enough, let alone DMH/FS AND trying to quisckscope wasting ammo.  I tend to play as the mobile scout sniper.

None of the maps promote sniper marksmanship in MW3.  I've always wondered how COD4 maps would fare and you might see more traditional sniper usage.

While players aren't "supposed" to quickscope, you're not "supposed" to run with a launcher on your back that weighs 35kg/80lb either.

alot of the maps have long lines of sight, buildings etc. that are good for sniping. firefighters go around with 100+lbs of gear on them so wether you are supposed to or not is irrelevant when you start getting head shots with a launcher then the problem arises. i dont understand this "realism" arguement, i know its a game, its a game about guns and it isnt no sci fi game where they hae laser blasters or waffle guns. its the gun doing something its not supposed to do or meant to do. its like if i started to pick you off from half the map away with a headshot using a 44 magnum or something. a sniper rifle isnt meant to catch a osk headshot when im right in front of you. in the military most snipers have spotters and are engaging targets that are often miles away, i know that isnt going to happen in mw3. but cheapscoping is one of the worst things about this game, to each his own.....

SitRepPro

Depends what you mean by long lines of sight I guess.  COD4 had Bog, Countdown, Pipeline and Overgrown to name a few good maps for sniping IMO.  You could also do well with snipers in Backlot.  I'm not so sure of any MW3 maps.  I'm only considering non-DLC maps.  I mean, my best map (non-DLC) according to Elite is Bakaara.  I've finished in the top 3 as highest scorer in TDM a fair amount of times, sometimes first, but never with a sniper.

I do think the game mechanics could be improved so that snipers only excel at distance, while SMGs drop damage substantially over range.  I've got people at sniping distances, by MW3 standards, with the MP7...

Moofda

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. I don't think I stated once that "hardscoping" is the way it's supposed to be used. This is a game, and should be used however you want. I use both methods myself as I stated above. However, I lean slightly toward a strictly defensive play style in the game, as it makes more sense to me.

I just don't like the term "harscope" in general is all. I'm just using the sniper rifle in a way I see fit. My opinion had nothing to do with realism, it was strictly game related. More of an observation of how elitist quickscopers have so much hate for people who use the sniper rifle in any other way other than quickscoping.

SitRepPro

I was referring to the guy in the video more than anything saying "hardscoping" is the way a sniper is meant to be used.

LMGs also have sway in this game despite having bipods.

I'm a traditional sniper user, I may accidentally quickscope when caught off guard with an enemy close by, but I wouldn't go round in matches intending to play that way.

I've not noticed any elitism from quickscopers on "hardscopers" but I have communications switched off (except from friends) so I'll only notice if they say something when their Gamertag appears underneath the HUD, but I won't hear what they say.

Moofda

Ahh, I'm with you now man. I should take your advice on the mute button. =) Yeah I was just trying to present the extremists point of view from both regular snipers and quickscopers.

It was meant to be over the top and ridiculous to poke fun at the situation. I think some people thought these people were actually real, but it was just me doing an accent. I'll try to be more clear next time.

• Re: The Great Debate. Quickscope, "Hardscope", Or both? -Video (MSR TDM Snipe Moab w/ alter ego interview)
    nflfenatic

Watching your video can't help but notice your pistol shots. Looks like another player with "trigger finger" or is it. Also I keep hearing this about running around with an 80 lb launcher on your back. Not that far fetched as if you knew the military the marine force recon runs around with an eighty pound pack on their back. Actually once it gets wet which it will when you perform beach landings like they do it gets up near 100 lbs. And then you run jump crawl whatever it is into combat with it. I also worked with a guy that at 65 yrs old still runs 10 miles a day with his 50 lb rucksack on his back. Granted he is insane shape for someone of his age.

• Re: The Great Debate. Quickscope, "Hardscope", Or both? -Video (MSR TDM Snipe Moab w/ alter ego interview)

I really don't think that the Launchers can be brought into the realism vs playability debate. Launchers are meant to be carried on a soldier's back. Here is one in practice. There is also a video of a Marine using a Javelin against a Sniper. Feel free to post up a video of a Marine quickscoping with a 30lb Sniper rifle.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4144/5051377646_c711ff4f54.jpg

• Re: Thread turned into Javelins are tough to carry?
    Lunar---tick

WOW, some uptight people. That video was well done. I tip my hat to you sir. Very well done indeed. Very funny.

Do another on different classes please. You made my day. I fear some dont see your humour though. Oh well

I think people in this thread, and in the game, need to remember something, ahem:

It's a friggin' video game. Sure, some logic is nice, but COD is, and will always be, an ARCADE shooter, not a real-life simulation.

That being said, sniper rifles, machine pistols, [throwing] knifes, and yes, tubes in their various forms, all belong on the COD field of battle, and their uses are not limited to their "true" or "real-life" intentions and uses.

Now, run along and kill some foo's how you see fit.

I geuss I'll bump this forum. I (personally) use snipers for both hardscoping and quickscoping. I just think that quicksoping is just a little extra challenge that a lot of people make a big deal of. The only guns that are completely unfair/nooby for quickscoping are the Barret 50 Cal and RSASS (Everyone know it's a bad*ss *sshole as RSASS is rightfully named). Also, I play MW3 on wii, even though I really want an XBOX, (I thankfully have a CCP) and playing wiimote + nunchuk is very hard to qs without ACOG scope. If you don't believe me, try it. Now about the matter of the javelin being an extremely heavy missle launcher, in my opinion, on MW3 it's (obviously) the heaviest launcher. It's not exactly real, but at the same time it is real. I mean, come on. Carrying an 80+ lbs. weapon with you with another extra pounds of explosives in it that blow up is sort of hard to imagine. CoD makes it seem like a piece of pie, running around with something like that. As CylonNumber6 said, it's jsut an arcade game.