38 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 2:23 PM by HaRiS37 RSS

Black Ops 2 Map debate...

rustygun

Hi guys. After  reading mixed views of the upcoming new maps for the much awaited Black Ops 2, and realising most of us havnt played the maps yet, i was really keen on getting some views from all of you guys on what you think from what yuve seen so far, and even better, from anyone whose played the game already. Personally im absolutely loving the look of the new maps. Ive been watching constant footage of atleast six of them and so far im very impressed with the variety and colour. Personally i think as cod players we all love the mid sized open areas high traffic gameplay and the fast paced nature of smaller maps. As much as people always complain about maps being too small we all agree that Nuketown, Shipment, Dome and Killhouse were great fun maps and need to be scattered into a game. So anyways guys, please let us kbow what you think so far...For or Against, and whats your fave so far? Cheers

• Re: Black Ops 2 Map debate...
    TheAcidpiss

I find small maps require no tactical thought, make spawns harder to balance and in turn make spawn trapping so much easier and the only people that enjoy these maps are ADHD kids who need constant stimulation to be happy. All these maps do is incourage hectic game play, flashbangs, random grenade tosses and corner camping due to the fact that they dont need to move around to get constant kills.

You will never have a good spawn system on a small map period. but alot of kids play this game so we will be seeing alot more smaller maps and alot more complaints about bad spawn systems.

I loved the black ops maps and one small map wasnt a problem (nuketown) but i get the feeling we will be seeing alot more in black ops 2............

Fireman0025

i think that we should have a variety of maps. The small hectic maps are fast paced, and crazy, they allow for good close quarters fighting. Medium sized maps open themselves up to many different styles of gameplay. They require some thought on what gun you are going to use, and what routes you will take on the map. Large more open maps make players be more methodical on how they play the game. Thought has to be given on where you want to go, an how you are going get there. They also open themselves to more sniping, and these maps require a little more patience.

I think you need a variety of all three of these map styles to have a good game. It allows for more of a variety of playstyles, and breaks up the monotony of constant CQC. While some of these maps will be more popular than others, i think they all have a place.

The only maps i do not like are the "large" maps that are very cluttered and broken up. I think this just makes for slow paced games where you cannot find anybody. Even me, a run and gunner, spray and pray, shotgun user thinks that large maps should be atleast semi-open. A good player can make his playstyle effective in any situation.

banned-again

i love small and medium size maps, small maps for the hectic game play and medium is good for if you want to get a bit more tactical as for large map well ive never been a fan of them i hated derail, fuel and array.

biron_w

I hate small maps with a passion. There's far too much  "spawn,take 2 steps,get killed" BS that goes on in them.

The 4 maps the OP mentioned - NukeTown,Shipment,Dome & Killhouse(and Rust) - are some of my most hated COD maps.

Give me medium maps any day of the week.

T-boss

small maps are okay IF there is only a few of them. BO went on the highish end with their small maps. they had 1 tiny one, and 2 small ones, and some arguable. you should have 1-2 small maps. the majority need to be medium and vary to support different stiles of play, and ruffly 2-3 large maps, atleast 1-2 of which are good for sniping. some of the medium maps need to be sniping capable but not necassarly good.

maps like jungle, cliffside, ambush, and afghan were great maps, every map in mw3 was below par in my eyes, they were all so small and cluttered sniping was eliminated and traded off for quickscoping and the braindead smg users

rustygun

Interesting and true replies. Agree with some of those, but runnimg down Nuketown and shipment!!?# Behave yourself, surely not mny agree with those remarks!? Anyway what do you guys think of the new black ops 2 maps?

nicedrewishfela

It is still to early to say, honestly.

I have watched the vids as well... but I have to see how they play in my favorite game modes.

Lets have some experience under our belt before we break down the maps.

I love the colors so far.

Players seem to pop out rather than blending in like Old Snake in MGS4, and it's not nearly as dull looking like MW3 maps, you know, Downturn, Lockdown, and other sickly looking maps.

I can't stand the small maps for the most part. Mindless grenade throwing, spawn killing, and 5 second lives do not make for  an enjoyable experience (for me). Like somebody else mentioned, most of those maps mentioned in the OP are amongst my most hated. Give me medium to large maps all day long. I prefer maps that promote a combination of play styles and strategies. It makes for a far more interesting, diverse and less repetitive game. I really don't care if somebody wants to run around like a spastic meth-head with an SMG, but give me an equal chance to put a well placed sniper round into his dome.  I really don't mind 1 or 2 of these small maps for the occasional change of pace, but beyond that they just seem fairly one dimensional and mindless. I wish COD wasn't always moving towards these smaller maps in an effort to give ADD brats their instant gratification.

rustygun

While i do agree with the need for medium maps and gameplay much as i loved many of the maps was very smg favoured on mw3. The need for an assault rifle was non existant and snipers were left out in the cold, but puttin down nuketown and shipment and the likes of is daft, an opinion poll will settle that im sure. Atleast you admit (efanzo) that you want a couple of small ones...theyre a necessity for a finally after a tactical evenings play. One isnt enough for choice, but there should only be one very small one. Look ive analyzed the mw3 maps that shipped with the game and found i only liked eight of them, take or s dullleave the rest, but the dlc was stunning. Black ops one dlc was very dull apart from drive in and hazard, maybe zoo was ok. The maps on black ops 2 are looking fun and open. Lots to climb on, lots of high vantage points for assault and sniping. I bet the dlc will be better too

timelordalex

I'm really looking forward to BO2 maps, majority of the black ops maps I like (Nuketown, Firing Range, Kowloon, Stadium, Hotel, Summit are some of my favourites), and despite MW2.5 being generally $hit, i actually like some of the maps (Terminal, Vortex, Arkaden, Sanctuary, although i mainly play infected). Express or whatever its called has an interior design similar to Terminal IMO, so that looks great, Cargo and NT 2025 look great aswell. I dont usually judge maps and automatically hate them, maps play different on the gamemodes for me, I hate berlin wall and hanoi on anything but wager match modes, however Havana i do hate no matter what, dont know why everyone votes for it

Crap people hate small maps because they die quickly and very often. Small maps are where good players get to dominate

^ Small maps are for the crap players. If I made a call of duty game, I'd leave out all small maps and just have medium/large.

"theacidpiss" above got it spot on! ^^

Small maps mean you need to be alert and good reflexes. There harder to do well as your surrounded by enemies. This is why crap players hate nuke town because they get battered they don't have room to breath and choke.

Big map. nice and easy my best kind of maps you meet single enemies a lot so I win a lot of the fights. I can shoot things down easily without being shot by the enemy whilst holding a stinger. You kill someone they spawn miles away

Big maps are slower and easier to play

But encourage campers

T-boss

small maps allow for fast pace. thats about it. spawning tends to be bad. whoever can quickly fegure out were everyone is and were to go to stay alive get the KS, whoever can find people quick gets the kills. but small maps can get annoying very quickly. i was fine with them when they werent common. like rust in MW2. overall the map sucked. but it was  small and provided that vary fast gameplay, and it was rare. the fact it was rare is what made it good, not the fact it was small.

keep small maps occasinal and the game is fine. make them normal and they will drive a majority away.

That is the most B.S. statement I've ever seen. I've had some of my best rounds on small maps such as Nuketown, Dome, etc... but I cannot stand maps of that calibur, unless like effanzo said for the change of pace. Good players dominate no matter what for the most part.  Think, then type.

QwertyBoredom

I think im pritty lucky since I love both shotty runing and sniping so im actually covered for both map extreams,though I like several of the other posters feel that there should only be a few of these extreams with mid sized maps making up the bulk of map choice, personnaly if W@W and BO are anything to go by I don't think we have to worry about map variety, and lastly @ exrboom small maps don't require skill per say just luck IE you have to be lucky enough that somone dosn't spawn behind you or that a random nade dosn't land at your feet.

Make your own luck when I play nuke town Dom I use flack jacket  don't need ghost as the map is so small so I can get away with it. Flack jacket is the nuke town king especially when capping b flag.

You sound a bit stupid talking about random grenades when you can use flack jacket lol your obviously using crap classes

QwertyBoredom

nuketown was well designed so is an exception none of the other maps mentioned in the thread however can boast that or even flack jacket since BO is the only CoD with a working anti-explosive perk hence random grenades are a huge threat in ALL the other small maps, 1 map out of many does not invalidate that these smaller maps are prone to spawn killing, random grenades, campers ect.

DaManiac

I know bo1 had a couple of small maps but come on now know y'all seen how big maps were in bo2 Turbine, Cargo, and Yemen. Treyarch>InfinityWard therefore maps will never be a cluster F*** like modern warfare 3. Just think positive.

maccabi

The thing with maps, as with anything in CoD you arent going to have one thing pleases all, you also have to remember maps work and play differently depending on what game type you play. so people will always have different views on maps.

From the maps I've played so far I like the sizes and designs so far, Its one thing I have always said - treyarch have the most talented map designers in their team (imo) ,

Although what I would like to see in cod in general is certian maps being excluded from some game types. or a few maps made specifically for certian game types doubt it will ever happen due but wishful thinking.

rustygun

Good replies. I think its good to use all maps with all game types, its good to try and adapt i think, makes it fun and more  challenging. Also yule end up with three maps per game mode!? I think we're all on th same page here. Cod needs nothing more than simple medium maps. Its a fun game not a sim, but i do understand that players should be allowed to play their own style. I dont see anyone using an assault rifle on mw3. Ive tried, but theres no time, its a rushfest and while i love a fast game i dont mean players flyin around on skates and constantly in your face, i mean loads of traffic and constant targets, but for me...time to shoot them! 

timelordalex

like face off in MW3, maps made for that mode

warzh311ion

I think that maps should have a good variety to them. 2 small, 8 medium and 4 large.

W@W had maps down right. There was great maps in all sizes. BO had good maps, but since the maps were smaller, WAR game type was removed. I loved WAR so I hope for some good large maps in the hope that WAR may return at some point in BO2.

Well i dont really pay alot of attention to how big maps are and stuff but to me i would have to say 8 small 2 medium and 4 big cuz throught CoD history the most maps loved are SMALL

MW3 - Dome

MW2 - Rust

BO - NukeTown

Ect

Im just sayin ^.^ SMALL MAPS FTW!!

rustygun

i agree legend, small maps are great fun but medium simple with good lines of sight for the majority ref. cod4. i think mw3 slipped up with dome, it wasnt small or simple enough

T-boss

the #1 reason everyone loves them, they came up occasinaly. i loved rust becasue it was RARE, that fast pace gets old quick so occasinaly drops fo it made it the funnest, mainstream makes it old quick and hated. nuketown, okay, did get annoying becasue it was more common, Dome, hated, mostly becasue ti was not rare and it had a very bad design.

iloveshotguns

Dome was sooooooooooooo bad, thinking about it gives me a headache

TheAcidpiss

Someone said small maps are a challenge?? what a load of BS!!! when im playing with my friends and we come across DOME and HARD HAT its not "will we win" its "how soon you think we can get the spawn trap?'

And on them maps, we dont even need to try, it happens on average in 40 seconds.

Ive become so bored of playing with my friends because all they do is spawn trap, hell, they couldnt stop spawntrapping if they tried. its all they know.

And the reason these maps get voted all the time is because of these ADHD kids cant stop pressing their buttons even when they are in THE LOBBIES...

And who to you think you are exrboom ? you talk down everyone that you dont agree with like your some uber leet player?!?!.  I hate small maps, and im no crap player. Ive been playing FPS's for nearly 20 years with always a well above average K/D W/L and accuracy also without using the most popular weapons all the time.

You could spawn trap on BO as well but it was no way near as easy as it is in MW3.

The simple fact is small maps create bad spawns, its impossible to create a good spawn on a small map, its simple math. And even you yourself have said spawns are bad, yet you love small maps? how do you reason this?

Ill say it one more time, SMALL MAPS CREATE BAD SPAWNS and NO ONE likes bad spawns...

eX_sniperzz

If they fix the spawn system, then it won't be a problem, secondly, I think medium maps are perfect, small maps are too fast paced and large maps were WAY too slow paced, I hated bf3 because of these maps, middle maps I think will be a balance for everyone.

You have to have a variety plain and simple.

The most important thing to me is not so much map size as it is map fluidity. Trey has a much better design to their maps in general as there are more often clear paths (and by this I don't mean open areas)

MW2 was just ok but MW3 all the maps for the most part were just a cluster F*** of doorways, windows, buildings, half walls, debris with no proper flow at all to them.

Small maps are awesome and great they might get crazy sometimes but we need at least 2 or 3 of them it makes it intense after playing a long boring game on Derailed

rustygun

Yes there was far too much clutter in mw3. When you did get to a window that overlookef the map, only two i think...mission and bakara, there was always clutter fire and smoke to block a good view. Mission was good tho. Treyarch have cleared up the maps, sent in the dustmen and opened up the place a bit more. Sort of blowing up a crap map and then tidying up the mess.

I enjoy small maps for fast paced action. There's only one of that and that is Nuketown 2025. They should've made more.