8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 8:00 PM by nickzombie RSS

A Reminder - Save Backups

Many people seem to be complaining about HDDs being corrupted.  That being said, I 'd like to remind people that you can easily backup your gamesaves to a computer. If you only play CoD, you don't really need to worry, but other games that take a lot of time to beat, like Skyrim should probably be backed up.  Last Christmas, my ps3 HDD corrupted because the power went out and I lost all of my gamesaves.  You can prevent the heartache of losing hours of playtime by backing up, which takes 5 minutes of your time.

• Re: A Reminder - Save Backups
    ghamorra

Also to help, if you have chronic freezing problems it's probably a good idea not to continue to put stress on your PS3 by still trying to play the game. Hard resets are one of the worst things you can do to a HDD

I love you.

SarahLou90

This happened to me last year, lost data on skyrim, fifa, assasins creed, borderlands and loads more i spent ages on those though, i was so gutted.

This may sound stupid lol but i thought you could only back everything up on the console itself via the internet with playstation plus?

SarahLou90 wrote:

This may sound stupid lol but i thought you could only back everything up on the console itself via the internet with playstation plus?

That's not true at all, Sarah.

SarahLou90

So im guessing you just copy it all onto a pen drive then onto a computer?

I just remember looking through the menus on the ps3 and saw the back up option but it was only for playstation plus users.

Dont know why i never thought about puting it on my computer, i'm usually good with computer stuff, but then theres probably alot of people who have never thought about it really. Thanks OP anyway, i'll be sorting this out tomorrow

SarahLou90 wrote:

Yes, plug in a storage device like a USB stick and copy the save data to it.  You can keep the data on the stick, or just put it on a computer. You'll have to do it regularly if you want to have the latest save backed up.  There's no point backing up someting now, playing for 3 months then not backing it up again. 

IMO, I wouldn't buy PS+ for just for that feature, not worth the money.

rymflaherty

I think I'm just going to purchase PS Plus.

I mean it's worth it as it is for the games, especially now being on the vita......But then you also get the cloud saves.

Hopefully these won't be famous last words and my system does something horrible before doing that lol, but it seems worth it for the piece of mind......I already had one system die on me, and I've spent more time on MLB:The Show then I'd care to admit, so I'd hate to lose all of that again.

I don't know if this is a big problem, but some games block you from using saves from different profiles.  If the HDD is wiped, it may see it as a new profile and might block the save from opening.  I had this problem after copying my GT5 save and trying to use it on a different system profile.