15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 8:29 AM by Harv72 RSS

I'm the reason your k/d is lower in BO2

This just dawned on me, and it's so simple and obvious now that it has that I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

The reason so many of you are seeing your k/ds drop in Black Ops 2 is because of me, and other people like me.  People who have always played the objective in CoD titles, going even or negative in many of our matches, but content to be the guys who allow the rest of you to run around collecting dogs and MOABs while we do the dirty work like capping flags and setting bombs.  Us folks who got excited whenever we managed to earn an attack helicopter or an EMP.  But now, with the new scorestreak system and the much more lethal mid-range streaks, we're actually getting kills, too...and bringing down your k/d in the process.

In BO1 domination, my typical game would start off with capping the home flag, moving towards B, and (if I was lucky) getting a kill in the process of capping the B flag.  Then move back into an overwatch position to guard our flags while the "good" players rushed forward to rack up kills & screw up the spawns and the "bad campers" sat in their perch slowly working their way to 10-0.  When all was said and done, I usually died right after earning my counter-uav.

But now, with that same start I've earned 450 points towards my first scorestreak.  My UAV is already in the air telling you where to slay & earning me 10 more points every time you do, and each guy that I pick off as they try to take away the B flag is netting me 125 more.  In more games than not I'm earning my Lightning Strike, often several times, and now that I've gotten pretty good with it it's netting me 4-5 kills every time, which leads to my Sentry Gun.  Being objective-based & always thinking about cutting off flankers, I know the best places to put that puppy, too.  In an average game I'm netting an extra 6-10 kills from streaks that I never would have earned in the other CoD titles...and those 6-10 kills are coming courtesy of you guys, who are used to earning your high streaks via the gun & riding those to monster scores and k/d ratios.

So yes, the lag is definitely affecting your ratios, too.  But me & the other objective players aren't helping, either.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying that none of you ever played the objective before.  I'm only pointing out that more lethal streaks are being called in now, and that's making everyone die a little more often than they're used to.  For people who maintained high k/ds in prior games, that's going to lower it this time around.  But for people who really struggled with their k/d, it's going to be higher now.

• Re: I'm the reason your k/d is lower in BO2

Yup, same here. I love that this game is not about KDR, but about objectives and points.

Add the EMP grenades to your arsenal as well.

I agree with you, I play ground war and most of the time Tim don't come up its most likely domination and occasionally kill confirmed, I was once one of those rushers you speak off, with my pistol Tac 45 and tactical knife with 2 grenades and 2 shock charges and the run perks, was fun at times rushing in wit a pistol but got abit old and never had more then Uav occasionally hunter killer and lightning strike due to spawns and people like yourself killing me. So I changed gameplay, got myself a LSAT light machine gun, 2 c4 and shock charges, and now do pretty much what your doing, well placed shock charge and c4 one place with same again at the other, and move close to the point of defending, when I see my screen come up with hit marker double tab and c4 takes care of them, then move to that location to see if there are others on the way. And just move back and forth from the 2 flags, with my shocks notifying me of attackers. One map it was meltdown and it's quite easy to defend the flag can shoot up to b and defend the other and place the charges at a certain place, only problem I have is I get the same people falling in the same trap I set or shoot them over and over due to they rush the same path and I be called a camper now, where as before I was called a knife noob and sprayer with my pistol due to I didn't really need to aim with the pistol if you know how to shoot a semi auto gun.

But I have realised my kd is better and I'm now high u there with the score and even get to use more skill streaks that I didn't get to use before which makes a nice change (everyone wants to use the top ones it's fun) and like you said the sentry gun helps out aswell if you know where to keep it avoiding sniper fire.

All in all it's a type of play that goes with the g are and need to be done,my ou don't just camp one spot due to the maps and all the flanking areas now but moving around same area learning the rush path and you defend well and get positive kill and score. I didn't play the last mw3 but the one before, and I have now noticed the gameplay has changed

EndGrave

Yep agreed - Scorestreaks changed the game, so now people actually PLAY the dam game. bravo.

That's exactly it.  I don't camp (I've tried--I get bored too quickly), but I do  try to hold down pretty large areas of the map, and always ones near the objectives.  To give an easy example, the top portion of Meltdown near B-dom.  Between the offices on the one side and that dark room with all the columns on the other, that's practically the O.K. Corral in domination games, and you never go more than a few seconds without having someone to shoot at.  Makes for a fun game imo, and with all the defenses I end up getting the scorestreaks really pile up.

I seldom rush into the enemy spawn, and even then only when we've pretty well got the half wrapped up & others are already doing it (or rarely when it becomes obvious I'm the best player on my team & I feel like that's the only way we're going to get B).  But I never stay in one place longer than a couple seconds, either.  And I absolutely love the fact that now I can play an objective-based game and still rack up kills and get to the top of the scoreboard.

Man your so lucky. I myself have always and I mean always been a team/Objective player. Always trying to get the SnD bomb away from players who just run around with it getting kills. I always suicide myself trying to plant bombs in Demo, I always defend my Flag in CTF, I'm the one throwing the smoke to get flag B. Now, I suck completly. My team never covers my ass, like before. But since these maps are so open, I can't plant. Due to Uav spams and Ghost being usless, I can't do much but, get kills like everyone else. They say this Game was made for Objectives, yet no-one hardly does them, or allow anyone else todo it. This game is based of team work now, yet no-one uses it. I rest my case.

I don't play those game types very often, but at least in Domination there are still semi-hides on most of the B flags.  On Meltdown you can go prone almost entirely behind the big tanks (after they've been exploded, preferably) and cut down greatly on your exposure; on Raid you can crouch behind the little pillars & hide yourself from the sniper windows; etc.  You still have to be cautious about when you go for a cap, though: pay attention to where your teammates are; even if they're not actively capping flags, if there are enough of them around you or between you and the enemy spawn that gives you a better chance to survive the cap, plus of course make sure you clear out the more likely overwatch areas before going for it.  Same goes for Demo before planting or defusing a bomb.

When I do play CTF I usually assign myself the runner role, so don't know about flag defense in that game mode.

Oh, and FYI: if you find yourself on my team please don't throw the smoke when we're capping B.  I'd rather be able to see where I'm being shot at from.

Same. I set up Guardian and Sentry Gun as scorestreaks on these games and several times have stayed alive long enough to surround the entire objective with those.

On the flip side, I was imploring some of my teammates to GTF up and move towards an objective in overtime, but they refused, because they were something dumb like 6-1 kdr. I was 45-46 and that was only because I went like 6 and twenty-something in round one of demo being the only guy on the team trying to plant.

GlowNTheDark wrote:

Same. I set up Guardian and Sentry Gun as scorestreaks on these games and several times have stayed alive long enough to surround the entire objective with those.

On the flip side, I was imploring some of my teammates to GTF up and move towards an objective in overtime, but they refused, because they were something dumb like 6-1 kdr. I was 45-46 and that was only because I went like 6 and twenty-something in round one of demo being the only guy on the team trying to plant.

I actually had a 37-3 game yesterday, easily the best I've ever had in a CoD, chiefly because I managed to get two sentries up and running at the same time around the middle of the map.  Between the kills from those & the lightning strikes + all the defenses I rang up, I scored almost a thousand points higher than anyone else in the lobby (only 4 caps because we never had to re-take a flag, though).  It more than made up for all the 30-48 games where nobody else on my team is even looking at an objective.

OH! So you're the reason I have constant lag/sync issues??? Curse you!

Agreed, I am mainly an "OBJECTIVE" player.  I cannot camp, I suck at it.

mcnaught

I have what I like to call "In Game ADD" I have to go for the objectives and push at the same time. Once we have all the points flags, etc. I need more I am physically and mentally unable to sit around. I love the added points for defending objectives and defending. I just wish they would fix the lag and add more hardcore modes!

good post though

That's me exactly.  I hate just sitting in one spot & waiting for someone to come along.  Like those upstairs windows on Nuketown...I fully understand that staying up there with an AR or sniper is an easy way to get to some decent killstreaks on that map, but I could never force myself to stay put for more than 5 seconds without something to shoot at.

I know the lag comp thing has been beaten to death, but I get pretty upset that it's so bad sometimes I feel like I'm sort of "forced," into sitting in a spot staring at a door, because I just can't compete out there due to it. I pump guys full of hitmarkers and get one-shotted with an SMG, so I retreat to an upstairs room and lay prone and hate the game silently in my head.

Haha, I don't know why, but I know a lot of people would say "Just back out." But, I'm just not that guy, and that sort of ties into being a "Get the objective," sort of player, teammate oriented and all that.

I've never quit a game in progress because of the lag, but I've wanted to.  I will back out of that lobby as soon as the game ends, though, and on the rare occasions when I have a solid connection I'll stick to that lobby as long as I possibly can.

Personal theory with the "Best" "Normal" etc search setting not working is that it's only measuring your connection by ping to the current host, or maybe the current players in the lobby.  As players drop and new ones join (often before you even start a game), your "Best" connection can turn into a lousy one.