30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 8:06 AM by JC480 RSS

Your systems hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored. Post here if you seen this in Black Ops II.

irielegend

I know I have seen it a bunch of times.

• Re: Your systems hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored. Post here if you seen this in Black Ops II.
    JStephens76

Way to many times. Kept freezing during the game and then it started locking up at the XMB. Wiped my whole system (ouch) and it hasn't done it as much.

• Re: Your systems hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored. Post here if you seen this in Black Ops II.

Ya...it's something I kept telling people to do in the first Black Ops when they would freeze. I said, "always check your file system" to make sure nothing got screwed up when the freeze happened. It's what Sony recommends doing if you're having troubles with freezing or glitchy screen or other problems with a game. All the dumbasses here in the forum slammed me saying it was unnecessary or that doing so would harm your PS3 (because they are dumbasses)

About a year ago Sony installed it in one of the patches we downloaded so that now the PS3 automatically checks when you freeze in a game or shut down improperly for some other reason. It's a good thing really because one broken file could grow into a huge problem later on. This way it's caught early and fixed before it becomes a HDD wrecking issue.

One guy told me he bypasses it by hitting circle. If you want to do that, it's your option...however, don't complain that the game killed your PS3 if it stops working because you didn't want to take the 3 minutes to double check the file system before playing again. If you don't properly care for your PS3 then you have no one to blame but yourself if it stops working. Games don't cause PS3s to die...OWNERS cause their PS3s to die!

irielegend

Owners cause their PS3's to die. Is this a joke or something is it the owners fault if a game freezes and causes their PS3 to have a corrupt drive which was caused by your PS3 freezing. If a game freezes the norm is to eject the disc which should bring you back into the XMB but the Black Ops II when it freezes its a right nasty piece of work.

If you've seen the corrupted drive message a few times then your hard drive is probably still corrupt even after running file system restore when prompted. If you run file system restore a second time through the PS3 service menu you'll probably be told it's still corrupted meaning that the file system recovery hasn't fixed a thing.

Um...no! Clearly you have no clue what the file system check is. Therefore everything you wrote is completely irrelevent!

A PS3 freezing because of a game is not equal to a broken PS3. The reason the PS3 breaks is because of the way people react and respond to the freeze.

Here's how it works:

Some idiot who never once read his PS3 manual or bothered checking with Sony about what to do if their PS3 is acting up gets frozen in a game. When the freeze happens he's not able to hit the PS button on the remote to shut the game down so he goes to the PS3 and (maybe) hits the power button. The PS3 doesn't instantly shut down and this idiot has no patience at all and no understanding that a PS3 is a delicate high tech device, so he unplugs it to get it to shut down. Why does he do this? Again, becuause he's impatient and doesn't have time to read how to react to a frozen screen or call Sony to ask or look it up in the wealth of information they have on their website.

What this guy doesn't know is that when he hit the power button and nothing happened (or so he thought) the PS3 was actually beginning a process of shutting down safely to avoid any damage to the unit. Because this guy was an idiot who knows nothing about taking care of his technology, he interrupted that process by rushing to unplug the PS3....even though this is exactly what Sony warns not to do because it will damage the PS3.

It worked and he's back to playing the game. But not for long because the freeze happened again. So what does he do? The same thing again of course! It worked last time right?

This happens several times and then on the 20th or so time the PS3 doesn't come back on. The idiot owner now goes on this forum to complain that the game killed his PS3. Even though it's clear to all of us who know how to take care of our PS3s that it's the owner's fault, he doesn't understand. Why? Because he had done the same thing before and it worked fine so it must be all of the freezing that caused the bricking of his PS3.

Guess what?!? It wasn't all the freezing....it was the OWNER'S response to the freezing! Even though it might have been fine the first dozen or 30 or 100 times he unplugged it, eventually it cought up with him and broke down. All because he did the one thing Sony says to never do to your PS3...shut it down by unpluggin it (or using the main power switch on fatties).

Sure, the game didn't work right. The programming was bad and caused the PS3 to freeze. But it was the ignorance and impatience of the owner that actually killed the system. If he would have just done what Sony says to do in his situation his PS3 would still be running.

I've played many games on release day that were infamous for having freezing problems. So many I can't even remember them all. I've frozen literally thousands of times while playing these games and yet my Slim PS3 and my Fatty are both still running smooth as silk. The only reason they are still running fine after thousands of freezes is because I ALWAYS do what Sony recommends I do when a problem arises. If there's something new that I don't know how to handle I will research the 'Knowledge Base' before I touch the system to see just how I'm supposed to handle it. If I can't find it, I'll call Sony to ask them how to handle the situation. And NEVER...EVER...do I unplug my PS3 while it's turned on, and especially not ever when there's a game running on it.

The 'File Corrupt' thing is not telling you that you have a file that's corrupted! If you read it you will plainly see that it's just checking to see if something happened to the file system as a result of the problem that you just experienced. It doesn't mean that there IS a problem at all. In your manual it clearly tells you to run this check when you have a problem with a game. It used to be something we had to do ourselves but Sony patched the OS so that it automatically runs through this check any time the PS3 has suffered an issue  of any kind that could have resulted in corrupted file system. It's a safetyt measure to try and protect your PS3 and keep it running for years to come.

It's automatically initiated now because people were unaware of it before because they don't read how to take care of their technology. It's something like the way some people look at their car....they put gasonline in it and expect it to run. Without proper maintenance and care, it will eventually crap out, yet there are people who never bother with maintenance because they just want to put gas in it and go. Then when it breaks they blame the car maker for building a crap product even though it's clearly their own fault for never changing the oil or transmission fluid. Same with the PS3 (and any other computer), when there's a problem you need to troubleshoot it and resolve it before it grows into something huge and kills the system.

Why do people not understand this? It's really the simplest of logic! Take care of your things and they will work for you....neglect your things and they will quit working for you. What could be more simple than that?

avengedyesterday

Ejecting your disk helps protect the blue ray drive. When the PS3 freezes the blue ray drive stops at whatever position the eye was at. Ejecting the disk resets it.

So what shall i do when it freezes. Still shut it down and go through that file system. Or wait

LTSHiNySiDeZ

Funny I have had corrupted data 4 times from this game.  3 of those times I couldn't get my ps3 to turn off at all.  I held the power button down for 5 mins at one point and it didn't shut down.  Tried ejecting the disk while holding the power button nothing worked.  Had to flip off the power button to turn it off.  It's getting kinda old with the freezing and corrupted data being repaired wasting 3-4 hours I could've been playing.  Not everyone on this game gets all day to play some of us only get 3-4 hours a day to do anything.  I have a newborn that the only time I get time for myself is when he is napping so I like to take that time to enjoy myself, which doesn't happen on this game hardly ever.

cdnshooter

They don't care even if it messed up your HD, I spoke to support and then talked to a manager and asked about a refund for the game and he said it's only 60.00 he said to return it game stop/ebgames they said no can't do that.

They are a joke and we all got taken for 60.00

I've had it countless times. It's ridiculous and disgusting that a company that size will release faulty goods (not just the freezes, the incorrect codes for NT2025/NTZombies, severe matchmaking/lag problems, server errors, etc.).

Sick of seeing that damn screen.

irielegend

What Sony Support recommend trying if you get a corrupt hard drive.

http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1857/kw/corrupthttp://

Gonna try reseating hard drive and swapping out hard drive tomorrow.

Update on my gaming earlier I did fresh install opted not to install textures or extra dlc installed game and 1.03 update played a multiplayer TDM then next game froze on loading screen. After I put the game back on again and it froze just as my first hitmarker was on target XMB works fine my other games worked fine before i lost them all when I did a full format. I don't even mind the lost data.

All I wants some Black Ops II gametime I just 2nd prestiged my first gun 16 hours in sofar.

Warning! Long Post Ahead!

I'm glad to see you are finally taking some solid advice and getting info from the only source that best knows your PS3. However you are still not understanding the info you're providing.

Do you even read what you post? That link is for when you DO have a corrupt file system. You are confusing two different things. The message most of us get is a message simply informing you that your PS3 was shut down improperly and because of that you MIGHT have corrupted files. Then it runs through a scan to actually see if you DO have corrupted files. If your files are corrupted it will make an attempt to repair them. If there are no files corrupted or if the system is able to repair files that were corrupted the system will restart and you go on your way.

Clearly you have never seen the screen telling you that you DO have corrupted files...I have! You can't play the PS3 any more if this is the situation. In that circumstance you would have to follow the directions in the link you're offering. You might even need to replace the HDD...when it happened to me a few years ago I did a reformat and that resolved the problem.

The very first thing the page you linked tells you to do if you DO have corrupted files is to run the file system restore. It first goes through a check of your file system to see if there is a problem. If there is then it will try to repair it. If it can't repair the issue the PS3 will show you a screen that says it was unable to repair the HDD issue.

Before you pass on info to people please, please, please try to understand what it is that you're advising. You are mixing up two different situations. One is a CHECK of the file system, this doesn't mean that you have corrupted files! If the check finds a problem it will try to repair. If it succeeds it will restart and send you on your way.

If it can't repair then it will inform you of that and then you will be faced with the SECOND issue which is a corrupted file system. This is when you may need to format your HDD or possibly even try a new HDD.

You are telling people to go ahead with reformat or buying a new HDD if they get the File system restore screen and that's not necessary or advised. If the file system restore check is unsuccessful in repairing any potential problem then and only then would anyone need to start thinking about reformatting or buying a new HDD. Why on Earth would you advise people to reformat or get a new HDD if the check of th file system finds no issue at all.

If you do have corrupted files you will not be able to play the PS3 until the situation is resolved! Simple as that! If the system scan finds corrupted files then it will enter repair mode. The five minute file system check that we have all seen and ran on our system is not a file system restore. A full restore takes much longer, more like 2 hours.

That's all the info I'm offering. If you all want to keep on arguing the issue I suggest calling Sony and asking them. I also suggest you don't reformat your HDD or buy a new HDD unless you are unable to play the PS3 at all. I know this guy will keep on pretending like he knows what he's talking about but I promise you that he's steering you down the wrong path. I've done many file system checks in the past few years and only one of those resulted in an actual corrupted file.

When a corrupted file is found, the PS3 will go into a full file system repair which takes a couple hours...it tells you all of this right on the system scan screen, I'm not making it up...go look for yourself by doing a File System Restore. If there are no corrupted files found in the scan, then you will be on your way in about 5-10 minutes. If a corrupted file is found, you will be  waiting for at least an hour and probably more like 2.

Any time your PS3 is shut down improperly it will go into the File System retore screen upon restart. It's checking to make sure no files were corrupted, this does NOT mean you have corrupted files. One more time.....IF YOU HAVE CORRUPTED FILES YOU WILL KNOW BECAUSE THE ATTEMPT TO REPAIR WILL TAKE AN HOUR OR LONGER!!

I've said it and rrepeated it several times now! I hope everyone understands. I'm done with this thread, if you have questions please call Sony. They are the ones who know your PS3 better than anyone else. Waste your money and time if you like but 99.99% of the time that you get a File System Restore message it will not result in any files actually being corrupted.

And....the best way to restart when there is a freeze is to push the power button one time and wait for the PS3 to shut down. Don't eject the disk, don't unplug the PS3 and don't turn off the main power switch in back (for fatties). If you have a situation like others claim to have had where it won't shut down by pushing the power button then unplug it at your own risk.

In the literally thousands of freezes I've had over the years I've not once had this happen but others claim it does and I can't speak on that because I wasn't there to witness it. I suppose an event like that might call for unplugging the unit. The rarity in which it allegedly happens probably wouldn't harm the PS3 too awful much. Certainly Sony has tested PS3s to be able to handle a few instant power outs in it's lifespan to account for blackouts and other power losses while playing so unplugging it once or twice in it's lifetime probably wouldn;t kill it, although I wouldn't swear to it.

Now I've said all I'm going to on the subject. The bottom line is it's your PS3, if you aren't sure of what to do in any given situation it's probably best to go to someone that you're certain does know what to do. It's best that you don;t make any decisions based on what you read in forums. Would you give your PS3 over to a perfect stranger with no computer or technological knowledge for repairs? If not then why would you do anything a stranger in a forum tells you to? We all know these things are packed full of dumbasses, just because someone might seem like they know what they're talking about doesn't mean they have a single clue about PS3 repair, maintenance or troubleshooting. Hell, 99% of the people in here probably haven't even read the manual that comes with their PS3!

Oh ya...

BTW, Irielegend...

If your PS3 is working fine on all other games and in the XMB then what on Earth would lead you to believe that any problem you're having with this game has anything to do with anything other than this game?

Who in the world goes through swapping out the HDD (or even reseating it) because one game is giving them troubles? Especially when we all know full well that this game has issues right now...the same issues you're complaining of!

This last post from you should give everyone reading a pretty good idea how far they should go on any info you offfer them.

Still waiting for those people who know what they're talking about to arrive....

siixsenses-

Happened 3 times in the last half hour. **** THIS BULLSH*T GAME.

Same here, this has been happening a lot to my system. I went a whole week w/out playing because it's frustrating.

Out

The first week the game was realeased ......thats the only msg i saw ....I started the game .........locked up had to do a hard reboot .......then did the restore data ........

JC480

It happens at least a few times every day for me. And yesterday my friend had it happen 3 times in the same night while we were in the same game.