20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 9:32 AM by rlbl RSS

Complaining about ghost... nope...quite the contrary

rlbl

I unlocked ghost and I am absolutely loving how it works.

...but I am a run and gunner.  When a UAV goes up, so does my KD (being serious).  But that is always how I used ghost so it was no change for me... but now everyone expects that when a UAV goes up everyone is visible(because of the perceived uselessness of the perk)... so when a ghost user comes running out, they do not know what to do.

I have people running right along side me and they have no idea I am there because they are too busy looking at the HUD. Fantastic!

(even when I snipe, I am moving - well most of the time... my strategy is "stick and move": Take a few shots to let people know I am there, then move to a new location. This can be done if using ghost or not so the perk is irrelevant).

I have seen a few threads where people are saying the perk is now useless. Although I agree it is a huge change, I think if people change, some will find benefit (others, I agree, will not)

Side Bar: I never worry about ghost/UAV in flag/bomb based objective games* as in those game types, everyone should know where I am as I am a capper, and not a flanker/slayer.

* I am not including KC in this type of objective game. In KC, Ghost works perfectly (for me).

N.B. I am in no way suggesting that people change their playstyle to mine. I appreciate that some are finding the perk useless and I respect that.  BUt instead of flat complaining about it, I will defer to what Robbie often says: Adapt.

• Re: Complaining about ghost... nope...quite the contrary
    BukLau101

I agree with everything you have said. The change to ghost is imo one of the best changes Treyarch have made.

ghamorra

I would just like it to work when I'm ADS and when I'm trying to take out airsupport. Other than that I have no problem with the perk

Ghost has been essential for me the last few weeks as iv'e been busy mastering all the pistols.

As i'd get outgunned most of the time with stronger weapons i have to get right up in their faces leaving little time for them to react,but several times people have ran by me,or sat and watched me get closer and closer as i presume i'm not appearing on the radar as a red dot.

crosby85

I agree that the perk isn't useless but the way it works now seems to only benifit the people that are constantly on the move. What I don't understand is that for people playing the objective by say controling an area of the map and not moving far get penalised for doing so. Rather than make it so you have to move for it to activate, where sprinting activates it much quicker than moving slowly (slower steath playstyles are fairly useless) they should have programed it where as if you were sat still for say 15 seconds then you would apear on the radar (unless you were using a scorestreak like agr or lodestar). This way the only people it would affect are the corner campers that don't play the objective!

Totally agree with you their.

For my last prestige i ran with a lmg as im mastering a gun from every class as i go along,and these guns just arn't designed for the way it seems they want you to play.

When you have one of these equipped,your not going anywhere fast so the best method to use these guns was to stay in an area and try your best to hold it down.

I'm not saying camp because once you fire one of these beasts the whole map can hear you but at least ghost gave you slight protection,and compensated for lack of mobility,but now you dont have that so i found nine out of ten times i was no more than a sitting duck.

With my normal playstyle though,when im not chasing challenges,the changes to ghost have not affected me,i always stayed on the move,but it does seem like they'v tweeked it to please the mass who complained about camping.

What they also could have done,IMO,was possibly give the uav a tweek as well.

For example,as it stands just now uav has the potential for a good player to get say 5-10 kills while it is up.

Put a couple of good players together in a team and that is one big combined kill.

My idea would be keep the uav as low as it is but instead of the whole team having it displayed on their radar,only the person who called it can see it.

Ghost would still be vulnerable to stationary players but at least they wouldn't be hunted by players who havn't earned it.

dougiefaedos wrote:

For my last prestige i ran with a lmg as im mastering a gun from every class as i go along,and these guns just arn't designed for the way it seems they want you to play.

When you have one of these equipped,your not going anywhere fast so the best method to use these guns was to stay in an area and try your best to hold it down.

I'm not saying camp because once you fire one of these beasts the whole map can hear you but at least ghost gave you slight protection,and compensated for lack of mobility,but now you dont have that so i found nine out of ten times i was no more than a sitting duck.

I run an LMG class every time I draw Carrier, and from time to time as a change of pace on other maps as well...and I have a higher k/d with the LSAT (my LMG of choice) than any other weapon.  It's not very difficult to survive with one: set up with a good line of sight over a wide area, recognize when spawns are flipping, be aware of flanking routes your enemy is likely to use once they know you're there, have some hard cover nearby for when you find yourself losing a gunfight, and change positions frequently after getting kills.  You'll also want to run Flak Jacket and Tactical Mask to prevent being naded off your location & carry a pistol secondary for when you need to move more than a few meters (or when someone manages to flank you despite your precautions).

crosby85 wrote:

What I don't understand is that for people playing the objective by say controling an area of the map and not moving far get penalised for doing so.

If you're holding down a small area near an objective (or on the way to one) then your enemies will know where you are regardless.  In that scenario you'd be much better off running flak jacket and/or hardline even if ghost did work the way you're suggesting it should.

crosby85

I never use flak jacket, don't see the point unless you are litterally sat on top of the objective. Hardline also wouldn't make any difference to my playstyle. The ideal use of Ghost for me (playing Dom) is to generally patrol the area around the 'B' flag, doing this I am on the mose most of the time but if I am aware that the opposition is coming from one direction I will attempt to set up in decent cover to set up a kill zone. If I am using Ghost this keeps me off radar untill the opposition enters this area giving me the element of suprise.

I also play domination most of the time, and I also tend to use the same play style; hardline helps tremendously because it allows you to cycle through scorestreaks so much faster, and lightweight is actually a strong choice as it allows you to cut off gaps in your defenses more quickly when a teammate or two dies.  I don't know; keeping in mind that I don't really care about my stats so long as I'm winning most of my games, I've never had a problem with not using ghost (either now or in BO1) while defending B...you just have to be smart about where you are & able to recognize where the enemy is heading, with or without the benefit of a friendly UAV.

And again, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist on the other team to figure out what you're doing & where you're likely to be.  I've actually run off some of my biggest gun kill streaks because the enemy has an idea of where I am & keeps coming for the revenge kill, but I'm able to anticipate which direction they're coming from & be in the proper position to keep killing them.

crosby85

I'm not saying that I depend on Ghost, I don't its a level 55 perk which doesn't last long as as soon as I get to the end of 55 I hit prestige and use my unlock on other things. What I am saying is that while I do use ghost it does help to move around to various places in the map that provide cover to defend the objective.

avengedyesterday

The only people who think ghost is useless are the 'snipers' who used it to 'snipe', or camp, which every term you like.

Ghost is still a top perk and good rushers unlocks it with their first prestige token.

Nugatu

A sniper is a camper. He waits for the enemy laying down, camouflaged. Look up the definition of a sniper. It's not deign to run around doing QS. So if you run a sniper class and have ghost you should not appear on enemy radar. Any other weapon, yes.

rlbl

totally agree..

however: once you take a shot your position is exposed so a good sniper should move (which is what snipers do do* in RL**)

So:

- if one is sniping, always play as if a UAV is in the air

- If one is not sniping, one should play as if there is no UAV up (e.g. ignore the minimap and use your eyes and pay attention to one's surroundings)

Simple? no... but can be done.

* do do: LOL

** RL = Real Life, and not part of my gamertag or initials.

Izjar11

Good post Rl

Ghost is but one perk with one purpose nothing more. Why so many get their knickers in knots is beyond me.