1 2 3 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2012 10:34 PM by SanAndreasPsycho RSS

Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

ohcatdaddy

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413688649#413688649

Let me start by saying my views below are intended to help make online multiplayer a better experience for everyone and please do not take any of these thoughts and ideas personal if you are someone who quits games often.  I think there are solutions to this problem that a majority of the online community would be happy with.  As a huge fan of COD multiplayer I want to continue playing for years to come and I only want the experience to get better for all of us.  IMO, there is a problem that if fixed would move the community into the right direction. 

I was going to post this on the above thread (link provided above) but figured I would start my own thread.  You may want to read the other first.

I couldn’t agree more with the original poster on this issue.  IMO, it has always been a major issue with COD and it getting worse and worse to the point it has ruined the game for a lot of us.  However, unfortunately, most people who play this game quit.  I give you exhibit A (this thread) most people who are reading this reply with a justification as to why they quit games instead of agreeing with the original poster that it is an issue.  This is not an attack on you but my views on the subject so please don’t take it personal.  I don’t see this is an occasional problem where sometimes  a person here or there quits, it’s MUCH more than that.  I can go games and even hours where a handful of people in every game quit out.  Host migrations, drop loses, entire teams quitting, you name it, it’s almost unplayable at times.

All due respect, IMO, I believe it is naive to think everyone is simply quitting because of lag. I have approximately 100 days played of COD multiplayer the past 2 years (embarrassing I know) so I have experienced and have seen it all.  I can speak on this subject like no other.

Let’s be honest, people also quit when they are losing, worried about their KDRs or getting worked which is going to happen to roughly 50% of the people during each game.  Half usually do well while the other half do poorly.  Losing or having a bad KDR is not a valid reason for quitting.  Additionally, if lag is the sole reason people quit why are so many hosts quitting? From my experiences the hosts are quitting because of poor KDRs and/or they are getting worked.  Host migrations, drop loses.  Heck, I have seen 5 host migrations in a single game!  Myself and several of you reading this have been cheated out of several wins from the host dashboarding or shutting off their XBOX even during final kill cams.  IMO, in some cases, I think some will recognize they are host and do this intentionally just to cheat others.

I don’t disagree that people see lag issues or have unfavorable connections at times but you also have to take into consideration there is an element of skill to the game.  You can’t simply assume you are losing gun fights always because of lag.  Hand and eye coordination, guns, perks, and gun skills also contribute to losing and winning gun fights.  Sometimes, unfortunately, some are quick to site lag as their issue and not recognize that sometimes the other team is just better.  Instead of playing, trying, getting better and going out fighting, some take the easy way out and quit. 

This isn’t fair to

-Their teammates left behind

-The people they were playing against, who are now left running around looking for 1 person

-Or the poor folks who are unfairly thrown into a BS match to fill the spots of those who quit. 

I understand this is just a video game but these same concepts can be applied to important things in your everyday life.  When things get tough you simply won’t succeed in life by quitting. 

If you feel like you are on the unfavorable side of lag, finish the game trying your best and when the game returns to lobby simply back out and find a new lobby.  No need to quit mid game and ruin the game for everyone else involved.  This also starts a chain reaction of quitting throughout the entire lobby.

To date, I am disappointed they have never implemented a true solution to this problem.  My thought, maybe they don’t want to because if most everyone is doing it why upset the masses who buy the game.  IMO, there are ways they could resolve this issue and make everyone happy and it starts with changing the mindset of the “its acceptable” to “rage quit” community.

The fact that BO2 has implemented a probation system (although it’s not doing its job to date) gives players like myself, those I play with, and other players like us hope that they actually do see it as an issue and this is their first step toward fixing it.

This isn’t a problem COD will ever be able to completely resolve but there are things they could implement to help resolve or better the issue.  They need to start by changing the culture of the COD community.  Right now, unfortunately, quitting almost seems socially acceptable by the community, heck there is even the term for it “rage quit”. 

They need to implement things into the game where finishing games you are rewarded.  Keep a % of games quit stat just like they keep KD stats and WIN%.  If you could view someone’s combat record and see how often they quit games this could help change the culture.  After all, who is going to take your playercard serious if you quit a large percentage of your games but have a 3KD?  The quit game stat can also be used as a way to determine host.  Obviously, reward those who don’t quit with host more often.  This will help prevent host migration and dashboarders because the person pulling host doesn’t quit out. 

This is just a small sample of ideas they could implement to help contain the problem.  I have other ideas I could share with anyone who would like to see this issue resolved.  I could and can go on and on about this issue.

Anyone else who recognizes this as a problem have any ideas how we can get our voices out and share ideas on a solution to the problem?

Also, if you have read this far, play to win and never quit let me know.  I can help you meet others like us.  We are currently a minority in this war, unfortunately, but until our voice is heard nothing may change.  I know from playing and talking to people online a lot of us are frustrated with this problem so let’s start sharing our thoughts on it.

• 1. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How
    Community1234

There's only one solution to those who quit in the middle of games: temporary probation from online gameplay.  I believe this is functional on the XBOX, but not the PS3.

Some people, like myself, will leave a game every now and then in the middle because there's something going on in real life that needs attention.  The probation wouldn't anger this minority, because they're most likely attending to the situation, and won't be affected by a 10, 15, 30 minute probation. 

My solution: temporary probations that compound with the number of "quits" in a given period of time.  Let's say, for instance, the period of time is 24 hours.  For every game of which you quit in the middle, you're given a 10 minute probation from online play.  That's not too harsh, but harsh enough to detour some quitting.  The next infraction would bump the next probation up to 15 minutes.  The next, 20 minutes.  The next, 25...and so on.  I imagine the quitting would lessen dramatically overnight.

• 2. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

I doubt lag is the reason most people quit, alot of people just plan suck. Usually its the people who sucks, cant get a kill and have a huge death count that quits, or if you're put on a lossing team in the middle of a match. Alot of times I would get put on a team where its all buddies in a party and Im the solo dude not in a party, they all would get there asses kicked by the other team, they all rage quit at once, Im the only dude left in the match for a while, then a new set of people, usually not in a group/party, comes in, and do ten times better than the last set of pple who were on the team, and sometimes even make a comeback and win and have them rage quit.

I think they, cod devs, need to change the way pple are split up into teams, too many shitty players who never play the objective should not all be on one team, same goes for too many good players should not all be on one team, it should be split but k/d ratio, score and if u actually play the objective or not. Maybe that would create more even matches and prevent rage quiting

• 3. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How
    fearless_fred

Reason why the devs won't do anything to those who quit is because once they do the players that are quitting will take a step further and just never play again.  Sure you may think "fine we don't need quitters playing anyway". But you won't like sitting at the lobby screen for a half hour looking for a full lobby because instead of 200k players online you only have abour 10k players.

• 4. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

fearless_fred wrote:

Reason why the devs won't do anything to those who quit is because once they do the players that are quitting will take a step further and just never play again.  Sure you may think "fine we don't need quitters playing anyway". But you won't like sitting at the lobby screen for a half hour looking for a full lobby because instead of 200k players online you only have abour 10k players.

Your point would be valid if it were true that people would actually quit playing for good. The problem is no one ever really quits Crack of Duty for good. Well maybe like 5% of people may quit for good.And this is proven to be true every year as COD breaks a new record every with sales.Its not breaking those records with just new people  to the franchise.It can only be breaking a new record every year,because of people coming back to it.

I think they should start making penalties worse for quitters.Even go as far as taking xp or deleveling repeated quitters.Just my opinion.

Everyone will B**ch and moan about it,but in the end,95% of you will still play it and buy the new one next year helping them break the biggest release record again. They cant keep breaking records if everyone who says they are quitting actually quit.

• 5. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

You said "If lag was the sole reason people leave then why are hosts quitting."

That's cuz hosts usually have an extra second of lag on top of the lag already in the game.  If you don't know what I'm talking about you've never hosted.  We've tested this a lot and its easily proven to be the case.

• 6. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

I know this may be frowned upon but if I'm in a bad lobby, as in laggy, I will leave. I don't mind not doing well if I feel like I'm at least getting a chance at killing the other guys, but when guys are running around corners and emptying magazines into be by the time I can ADS then I find it simply unplayable and leave.

How good I do seems to depend purely on lag.

• 7. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How
    Adam1234567893

Here is an easy effective way to stop quiting just do what Halo did make the network better and make the hosting really strict pretty much if you dashboard ban for a day and 20,000 losses and if you start lagging it switches the host and give you a 24 hour suspension. For the rage quitting this is what they did they made it where you can't join a game in session and they made it where if you leave 3 or 5 times in one day you get a 24 hour ban and after 3 strikes or 3 24 hour bans they just ban you from the game and since Bungie is now with Activision Treyarch can ask Bungie for help to make everything work.

• 8. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How

catch 22...stop mid-match joining</>stop quitting?

• 9. Re: Why Rage Quitting Is A Problem That Needs Resolved and How
    dohadoh

I quit games a lot. Most of the time because of lag comp., the other is when I'm thrown into a hopeless game. (one in particular comes to mind 18-56 tdm)

People are talking about a probation, this means I would be punished for leaving a hopeless game.

This also means I will be punished for their lag comp. system.

This means I will be forced to quit playing totally, shoot, buying the game in the first place, if I am forced to play hopeless games and ones I'm lag comped to having no chance so I don't get "banned".

This series has gone bad for me anyway with the lag comp system. They like to say it is our internet, combined with others we play with, but I've had two different connections and both play fine on older versions in the series, but not the newest ones.(with and without other things going on in my network)

1 2 3 Previous Next