28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2012 6:29 AM by mdm123456789 RSS

I did research so as to not be categorized as Spam.

BlackhawkbillOO7

I posed a previous question that a moderator chose to categorize as Spam. It was cited by the moderator that there were numerous posts that were all similar if not identical to mine. It was suggested that I do some research prior to posting. I took that advice and a lesson learned and did some more extensive research prior to this post. I sifted through numerous pages on Google, Yahoo, and Bing using the following term "Treyarch responds to Black Ops 2 lag issues". I found NOTHING. I am not looking for any troubleshooting pages because they are boiler plate responses that are only really applicable to a minority.

My question to the community is have you seen, read, or heard any OFFICIAL response from Treyarch where they acknowledge the lag issue and provide a path forward for them to correct it?

NOTE: I am not venting or ranting about lag I am asking the community to assist me in finding an answer to my question.

Thank you.

• Re: I did research so as to not be categorized as Spam.

Here is the official response/recommended solution  from Activision.

http://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Lag-Occurs-in-Multiplayer-Game

you will be lucky if treyarch aknowledge anything, all they keep saying is to connect directly to your router and not play wireless, which seems odd as all the other call of duty games played fine wireless up to this one

phxs72

The notes from the last patch explictly stated that they made changes to the matchmaking server routing to reduce lag induced by the servers.  That would be both an acknowledgement and a step taken towards a resolution.  If you search this forum for the 1.04 patch notes you can find all of the details about the changes made.

In regards to matchmaking, here are the official notes.

Made performance improvements to matchmaking and lobby timers to start matches faster.

Many backend updates have been made since launch to streamline servers for load balancing. This results in many general improvements to matchmaking, user content servers, leaderboards and online security.

You would think because "LAG" is such a buzzword right now with the COD Community they would say something explicit about it???

It has not made any noticable differences in my gameplay. 

BlackhawkbillOO7

"The notes from the last patch explictly stated that they made changes to the matchmaking server routing to reduce lag induced by the servers.  That would be both an acknowledgement and a step taken towards a resolution.  If you search this forum for the 1.04 patch notes you can find all of the details about the changes made."

Where do explicity see that in the 1.04 patch notes?

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413598388

phxs72

Technically it was announced in patch 1.03 but those notes are included in the patch 1.04 notes.  Here it is for you:

"Many backend updates have been made since launch to streamline servers for load balancing. This results in many general improvements to matchmaking, user content servers, leaderboards and online security."

If you have contacted Activision Support directly they have contended for some time now that some of the lag problems were caused by server routing and matchmaking settings which they have been actively tweaking since launch.  Sometimes you just have to ask them which I did.  Now if you are looking for them to use the term "lag" then you probably won't get it because they utilize different terminology for each specific thing that we as a community group together as lag.  I'd say that they are working on it. 

In the meantime it is good for everyone to take a look at their own systems just to eliminate the variables that they can control.  For instance, I've replaced my router recently but just last night I was lagging pretty badly and noticed that my brand new router actually rebooted itself twice last night.  I checked the error log for the router and goggled up some solutions.  I found that the most common cause for this occurance is a bad cable or cable splitter.  I'll be replacing those tonight.  Sometimes it's the little things that we can control that causes all of our frustrations.  Here's hoping that I've found mine.

BlackhawkbillOO7

Thank you for your input. I knew about the notes for 1.03 but your response referenced 1.04 so I was a bit confused. I too have contacted Activision Support and did as well upgrade my router, and had the cable company replace my modem. My setup is fine. I can run any other game without any hiccups but for some reason BO2 is intermittent. My point or question is has Treyarch acknowledged the issue that people are experiencing and have they put together a path forward for correcting it. I am looking specifically for a leadership response since so many people have been affected by these latency/lag issues. I am not searching for any obsure footnotes. I was wondering if I missed something somewhere. ANY other company that were to experience the level of consumer complaints as Treyarch has with this issue would be out in front of it telling their consumers that they are actively working on a solution.

It was funny. I read your last post and the response the mod gave for locking it. It was high larious. I dont understand how an organization can so blatantly disregard the topic. I guess theyre adopting the mindset if we dont respond it doesnt exist.

BlackhawkbillOO7

I've been reviewing the responses and it appears that so far everyone is having the same luck that I am having. I've been continuing my search and still have been unable to find anything. It seems kind of weird that the issue that is affecting so many people is not being addressed by the company that designed, developed, and released the product other than by some dribble about trouble shooting.

Note: My question is in regards to an OFFICIAL response and path forward from Treyarch in regards to the latency/lag that people who have already troubleshot their systems and have excellent internet connections but are still experiencing the latency/lag.

Thank you again.

rlbl

I am not saying that things cannot be improved (because obviously they are trying to simply by some of the patch notes)... however:

Until the game works 100% flawlessly, 100% of the time, for 100% of the population... people are going to complain. And the bottom line is: that is NEVER going to happen so there is no way anyone from the corporation is going to come out and promise something that is impossible to deliver.

And on the topic of locking the thread.. rightly or wrongly, they locked it because there have been the same posts on this forum on this topic for years (searches on google, bing, etc... are not relevant as spam unless of course they are pointing back to this forum...and then they are duplicates anyways).

just postulating...

BlackhawkbillOO7

rlbl -May I ask how long have you been playing COD multiplayers online? I have been playing since Modern Warfare and have max prestiged every game prior to this one. I mention the max prestige not as a gauge of competence but to demonstrate that I have logged numerous hours on each game and do know a thing or two about experiencing lag. My question on this forum has anyone seen, read, or heard any OFFICIAL response from Treyarch where they acknowledge the lag issue and provide a path forward for them to correct it?

BO2, out of all of the previous titles that I have played, has the most intermittent latency/lag that I have experienced before. Thus, my solicitation was and still is has ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING about a PLAN or SCHEDULE from Treyarch to acknowledge and correct it.

rlbl

sure no worries mate.

Yes I started playing in the days when LAG was never really discussed, as it was never really an issue. And I played other games online before that (I am a lot older than I give off sometimes)

Then in BO1 things started to go wonky.

If you read the MW3 forums, some devs started to reply and were talking a bit about lag issues, but then in MW3 they did do something with matchmaking and it flat out did not work (maybe that is why!? I dunno).

But again,  to get something official on a solution I doubt will ever happen.. because a solution is very subjective.

BlackhawkbillOO7

I'm not trying to beat up on Treyarch it just concerns me that even after all the issues they had at the release of Black Ops they at least kept in front of it and would update the community. This release seems wrapped in silence and secrecy about the issues. The MW3 crew addressed the issues and kept the community informed as well. I'm just wondering if I am missing something here? I know it's not my home network because I did go through all the troubleshooting steps and actually upgraded my router and had the cable company replace my modem. Thank you for your input and feedback.

Yes, no open acknowledgement.

More of an insincere apology along the lines of 'I'm sorry that your home network isn't good enough to play our game.'

And the word 'lag' probably doesn't appear because of some PR guy who wrote the notes painstakingly rewording everything like when the US governemt changes 'Search and Destroy' missions to 'Sweep and Clear' missions. 'Tis marketing speak.

Having said this, so far I have only had one night so far where I have truly had very bad lag comp.

I do feel for others who have it bad though.

BlackhawkbillOO7 wrote:

I posed a previous question that a moderator chose to categorize as Spam. It was cited by the moderator that there were numerous posts that were all similar if not identical to mine. It was suggested that I do some research prior to posting. I took that advice and a lesson learned and did some more extensive research prior to this post. I sifted through numerous pages on Google, Yahoo, and Bing using the following term "Treyarch responds to Black Ops 2 lag issues". I found NOTHING. I am not looking for any troubleshooting pages because they are boiler plate responses that are only really applicable to a minority.

My question to the community is have you seen, read, or heard any OFFICIAL response from Treyarch where they acknowledge the lag issue and provide a path forward for them to correct it?

NOTE: I am not venting or ranting about lag I am asking the community to assist me in finding an answer to my question.

Thank you.

The response from 3arc is always the same EVERY year.

The game plays flawlessly on our(3arc) end. The lag is (a.)in your heads or (b.) your connection isn't set up right.

Same thing every year. Same issues every year; with some new ones sprikled on top for variety.

BlackhawkbillOO7

LMAO!!! My sides hurt...Thank you...

I am beginning to believe that the people raising concerns are the minority. I have searched all over for consumer reviews and I find only positive comments. I think we are the minority. If this was such a prevalent issue something would be done. A change would be made. We are in that small category of gamers that are not having a positive gaming experience. Why would they make changes when such a tiny percent of people have an issue? Love it or hate it.....when all your gaming buds are wanting to play, what are you gonna do? No one will receive an acknowledgement. Good luck trying to get someone on the phone....due to high call volumes they have closed for the day...seriously...got that message

rustyroot

A small amount? Just listen in any public game, everyone mentions the same issues. One game you have a Stella connection and can kill, the next your easily a second behind everyone else. Mainly noticeable in ground war. Just watch the kill cam when your having a bad game, its nothing like what you saw and reacted to. This game is still hit and miss at the minute.

mischaelite

Even I who have a 1GB/s fiber connection do experiece lag in some instances, there can be "twitches" in the servers and other stuff like that but it happens maybe in one or two games a week, maybe a little more on 3arc games than on the IW installations. Same with all my friends. The only ones that I hear complaining IRL are my friends from the UK with BT as ISP.

This x-mas I will take in two UK Brittish Telecom refugees to spend time with me here in Sweden on my fiber.