20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 11:23 AM by KoRny1 RSS

Take a look back at BO1

KoRny1

Treyarch needs to go back and take another look at some of the previous levels they had in Black Ops 1, and study them until they figure out why those levels were amazing and why the new ones are a mess.

I'm talking about levels like: Firing Range, Zoo, Hazard, Villa, Grid, Silo, Jungle, Berlin Wall....  All these levels had strategic points, long range open areas, close quarters areas, minimal clutter. The ones I listed are my favorites, but really every level in the game was fun.

Now look at maps in this new game... Levels like Express, Plaza, and meltdown that are just generic symetrical maps. None of the new maps have any strategical points because no matter where you are, you can get shot from at least 2 other directions. On most maps, you can look out a window to try and get a kill on someone in the open, except there is soooo much clutter on the field now that at any given time there are 100 things to hide behind, so you step into view and instantly die to someone you weren't able to spot.

• Re: Take a look back at BO1

We knew this game is trash and BO1 was 100x better. Your point? nothing will change because the devs are delusional.

I like to rush so the maps are fine for me.  Corner dwelling doesnt work so well right now.

You forgot to mention that these things that clutter the streets for people to hide behind are the perfect height to head glitch behind. The other day, a sliver of the dudes head was showing and he shot me. I know that all the CoD titles are like this, but it seems this one took it that extra mile with trash cans, barrels, boxes, signs, etc.

- Younique

p.s. I too agree that the maps didn't get much thought as far as strategic lines of sight and hiding goes. It's just shiny! A lot of ooh's and ahh's.

belly120

yeah the maps do suck, the BO1 maps had character and atmosphere these are lifeless little kill boxes

LargeLentils

Black Ops 1 maps were great! All the ones you listed were awesome! Actually I liked all of them except Cracked.

Black Ops 2 maps are rubbish tho.

Noodle_Sensei

So what, it's harder to camp?

Is that your point?

That's a good thing.

owiseguyo

The only map that reminds me of BO1 type maps is raid. It also one of my favs from this game.

Yes, yes, yes. Raid is by far my favorite map, it has excellent choke points, great cover and is fair to most types of classes. It, Express and Yemen are the only three I actually vote for in the game.

I still say the maps I hate most are Drone,Turbine and Meltdown. Not really fun to play in for me.

r33k

owiseguyo wrote:

The only map that reminds me of BO1 type maps is raid. It also one of my favs from this game.

also: yemen. it has more of a BLOPS1 feel IMO. little nooks and paths and obtuse little stuff like that.

r33k

HNNNNG/10!

now i wanna go play HC CTF on ZOO.

and its not " OH YOUR A CAMPER" "OH YOU SIT IN CORNERS" "OH OH OH OH OHHHHHHHHH!"

no, its cause i actually like to play a game where i can move about a map without:

1) taking 5 steps and running into 15 people

2) get spawn killed more than any other game ive played

3) get head glitched at every intersection

4) play with a weapon other than an SMG

5) have more than 3 running routes that are so predictable i can shoot with my eyes closed and hit some headless chiken

Richie55

BO was very poor from the start, major lag problems. It took Treyarch 6 months to fix it?

I recently tried BO a few weeks ago and It feels like a completely different game to what I experienced back when it was released. On the other hand MW3 is still broken and the 2 second disadvantage is still there 70% of games.

KoRny1

I don't remember BO1 ever giving me any trouble with lag... BO2 on the other hand...the lag is probably responsible for abou 25% of my deaths

xmrythem

as much as I want them to re-make old maps, I enjoy the new ones. Sure I'll have my favorite memories of old maps, hell, I still even love the old school CS maps or UT maps. But I welcome new maps and always will. I really don't want to play ZOO in BO2. Not because I don't like it, its because I want new fresh maps. The only map I can't do is hijacked as I feel its designed for only a couple gametypes in mind. It would be awesome if they designed specifically for gametypes. Example would be more routes in CTF or TDM than in FFA or S&D.

KoRny1

I'm not saying I want them to remake old maps, I'm saying that the people who designed the new maps obviously aren't the same people from before, and they need to keep in mind why the old maps were good when they are making new ones.

nflfenatic

So your complaining or whining however you decide that you can't hide in a window and see someone behind cover so you get shot or you can't see anyone out in the wide open before someone shoots you in the back. Maybe you should try to look at things from both sides. If there was no cover then people would complain about the guy sitting in the window shooting them as they tried to navigate the map. Don't complain about getting shot in the back because your looking out the window, I'm sure you shoot plenty of people in the back from the window. Besides you can use the awareness perk to hear people approaching and the target finder will spot people even behind objects. Adapt.

KoRny1

You make it sound like I only look out windows the whole match...that was just an example I used.

The same thing could be said about being out in the open yourself and not being able to see anyone because they could be camped, waiting behind any of the 10 objects in sight. You can't cover them all. This game promotes the playstyle of "run out guns blazing and see what happens"

Awareness doesn't do anything lol

and target finder soooort of works, but definitely better attachments to choose from.

There are no points on any map that have a strategical advantage. This is why spawning is so bad. instead half your team fighting over a hot spot, people are dispersed throught out the whole map, making it hard to spawn somewhere were there aren't currently enemies.