33 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 7:56 AM by RatedM RSS

Internet Connection & Providers

PhilLvsTanya

After seeing every other topic saying lag this lag that etc i thought i would ask a question.

What ISP are you with & what is your package (10mbps/20mbps/30mbps etc)

• Re: Internet Connection & Providers
    blarkw

doesn't matter so much on stuff like that. It matters on quality of the connection. If I have a low grade, meaning lots of packet loss and all in all a crappy connection I will benifit more.

I am still living in a hotel with a crappy wilreless connection and do great. I go home to a connection I have honed cause that's what I do for a living and I get owned most of the time.

PhilLvsTanya

the only reason im asking is because i dont have a problem with lag never have done so far (fingers crossed & touch wood), im with virgin media on a 60mbps connection so im thinking maybe my connection is helping me avoid the lag in a way.

im not sure was just wondering what everyone has and wether they get lag.

BT Infinity   -  45mbs down / 10.5mbs up / 25ms ping  , is what i'm getiing.

No problems for me , the game plays absolutely fine .

D4nth3m4n

@PhilLvsTanya  You probably wont see much "true lag" on that connection. True lag being players skipping across screen/teleporting/sudden lag spikes where everything goes in to a slide show.

Lag compensation is getting insta killed, appearing to shoot someone first and then dieing, players appearing from no where, dieing when you think youre round a corner but stil get hit. Kill cams showing you didnt react or didnt shoot when on your screen you actuaklly did. Thats the negative side.

bt infinity...

http://speedtest.net/result/2311854948.png

my experiance online is good some days and bad others , if im hosting (which seems to happen alot) i cant seem to hit anything or at least my hits dont seem to register that well

BoomstickLogan

mine 15dwn 1.5 up, laggy 75% of the time

friends 1.5 dwn .5 up laggy 50% of the time...not sure why

Virgin media

20MB down

2MB up

17ms ping

Great quality line. Never have lag or connection issues in any other online game except Black ops 2.

Reaper1287

Im with centurylink 3mb/s down less than 1.5mb/s up. I dont have many problems with the connection. dont notice lag much

gallp13

I get mostly low lag games and here's why......

I am consistently matched with hosts and other players with;

sufficient bandwidth

moderate latency

low jitter

low pack loss.

There are enough of these people in my region during the day and evening to get good games.

Note "lag" experienced is not about speed and ping to some non host server. It's about the aforementioned factors.

zingaa

gallp13 wrote:

I get mostly low lag games and here's why......

I am consistently matched with hosts and other players with;

sufficient bandwidth

moderate latency

low jitter

low pack loss.

There are enough of these people in my region during the day and evening to get good games.

Note "lag" experienced is not about speed and ping to some non host server. It's about the aforementioned factors.

How is it you check region or change region? Just curious

UK ISP BeBroadband, connection options set to "stability" to minimise packet drops. No traffic shaping, d/l limits etc 20down/1.5up, hardwired to SoHo router bridged to crappy ISP provided router/modem. Always played on an unclogged line.

Here's my experiences with COD with my setup:

BO1-Terrible until I upgraded the router and changed my ISP to the current one 6 months into the games lifycycle. Conclude game was shoddy due to my crap ISP and crap router. ISP=useless for gaming.

MW3-Utterly disgracefully bad till about 8 months into the game. Same network setup, nothing changed. Conclude game only began working due to a patch that finally worked for me 8 months into the game. IW=useless idiots.

BO3-Crappyness was inbetween MW3 and BO1, till the patch and everythings been great. Never had a COD working well so early in its lifecycle. Conclude the patch Treyarc released worked for me 3 weeks into the game. Treyarc=useful devs.

You see, when people say "MW3 worked great for me" if I was of the same mindset of the masses, my retort should be "well your internets is clearly crap cos lag comp helped you and screwed me". Go figure.

gallp13

Good post and very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

MW3

Your experience at the 8th month due to the Maccibi/Cappo push to adjust the matchmaking algorithm. It improved for me as well as I was better matched within my region close to, but not quite the same as the current BO2 matchmaking process.

BO2

The patch notes don't indicate that matchmaking or latency management have been adjusted as you indicate. Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance of any light you can shed.

Ah well there wasn't any matchmaking adjustments mentioned by Treyarc, however myself and numerous others that experienced good gameplay after the patch also noticed that the SPM gap in any given lobby had been widened. I sit at 400spm and the lobbies I entered were always 330-450 consistently.

I kept a keen eye on the SPM ranges every game I played, and then suddenly the SPM band became much wider post-patch, now I always see 200-500. Because the SPM band appears to have been widened this would have had the knock on effect of allowing greater access to the (presumably) larger 200-350 SPM player population and in turn improve connectivity/synching for me.

Its all "off the books" though and essentially conjecture. Treyarc havent officially stated they did this, but the SPM number are clearly different for me and connectivity has improved.

otisman666

@Rated:

I don't think SBMM is based on SPM, but on w/l.  I have a terrible SPM in almost every game mode, but I am still matched up with people that are often timed double what I have.  Now the only difference is that I don't lose games

I never even saw anyone near even 200spm pre-patch. I see it all the time now. Perhaps they juggled something else around that indirectly opened things up a bit in matchmaking rather than "tweaked", resulting in the effects I mentioned above. But the experience is different depending on your locale. As I said its conjecture, I can only go by the SPM figures I see in the lobbies and personal experience.

Suddenlink 130/5.

Lag comp has gotten better.  I just back out of shitty matches.

th3rever3nd

cox cable 55down 20up 20ms ping. game has been unplayable since day 1. Every person i shoot at kills me seemingly in one hit. I watch the kill cam they turn blood red and shoot back. My screen never turns red or shows the red shot indicators on my hud. Every single game since mw3 came out has been like this. I really want to know what its like to be on the good side of this.

mcnaught

Make sure you have one of the new DOCSIS 3.0 modems the 8 tunnels can distribute the traffic much faster reducing latency then any of the older models. I did this and it made a world of difference. All of my friends have followed suit with great results. It will only cost you $6.99 more a month or $129 once to own it.

mcnaught

I work for a WISP and I have done a lot of monitoring on online gaming. Seems the overall throughput never really tops out over 250kbps at one time, so anything more then 2-3Mbps connection is just overkill. Seems like the main issue impacting most of our customers is packets being sent out from their modem/radio/router. Have you ever tried monitoring your connection to see just how many packets you are sending out and receiving?

Queue down streaming video in your house and proiritize your gaming device will do wonders for your connection. Bit Torrents should be shut off also because they can flood your connection with a ton of broadcast traffic. Hell try plugging your gaming device straight to your modem and see if that helps.

A lot of LAG issues can be fixed on all of your ends, which will make the dev's lives much easier when it comes to fixing the lag compensation.

English Johnnie

Virgin 50mb package (soon to be 100mb)

51 Down, 5Up, 5ms ping on ping test 90-150 to the west cost of US.

Totally awful on this game alone, all others are fine.

cdogmx

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2380998352.png

I usually play ok but do feel people have a slight advantage on me. I do get insta killed a lot though, and around corners.

I am not using the modem and router provided by comcast.

jwaller123

I have Comcast (I'm in Utah). Not sure what my actual package is though, but the speedtest.net site has checked me anywhere between 10-20 down, average of 6 up, average of 15 ms. I have used the other site people post often (Not sure of the name though) and it says (with 25 packets sent) that I get back 25/25 back or 23/25 back.

So all in all I think my internet is average compared to all the threads I see on internet connections. Some days are good, others...not so good. Lol. It is what it is though.