8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 3:24 AM by cranium2001 RSS

Is my Connection Speed good enough to play without lag on XBox Live?

I play a lot of Black Ops 2 on my XBox and have AT&T U-Verse as my ISP. My promotional package expired and the Internet speed was downgraded to 3 Mbps. Lately, the lag has been noticeably worse...

I can upgrade my connection speed from anywhere between 6-24 Mbps, depending on how much extra cash I'm willing to fork over every month. I do not recall what the connection speed was set to during the promotional period, but very doubtful it was at the slowest 3 Mbps setting...

Can someone give me an idea of what the minimum connection speed should be in order to maintain the four green bars I once had on XBox Live? Would doubling my speed from 3-6 Mbps bring it back to normal?

Thanks.

• Re: Is my Connection Speed good enough to play without lag on XBox Live?
    Scorr

Should be fine, you won't pull host much as it needs an average upload speed, but you only need 5kb/s upload/download to play.

Should be fine, any lag is most likely coincidental, unless your ISP has made your connection a lower priority at busier times because of the tariff. Check their T&Cs

sixthsamurai

Find out what your ping/jitter and packet loss figures are over a variety of servers at different distances. This is a far better way of figuring out if your internet is fast enough. Speed and size are 2 different things when it comes to internet upload and download capabilities. Most people with around 10mb down and 1mb or more up will have a jolly old time playing any online game provided they have a ping under 100ms to a server lets say 250 miles away or so. Under 50ms and you're just peachy.

There are many "Ping test" sites out there so hit a few of them up and you should be able to work out some sort of average.

Any more than 125ms consistently in under a 500 mile radius and you should ask your isp what can be done to improve it.

I'm no expert so read up for yourself using my advice as a guideline. And if anyone else who can claim more expertise replys here they may well contradict what I have said so use you own judgement.

Good luck.

[edit] I should also mention that how the network in your own home is used can greatly affect your connection. If you have multiple users on at the same time you'll see a drop in efficiency. Also for gaming it really is best to be hardwired into your router with a decent ethernet cable as wireless is less stable.

Dyn4mics

use pingtest.net instead of speedtest.net. Like sixthsamurai said, ping several different servers as far away as people you regularly play with on your friends list.

You only need a solid  0.5 (ZERO POINT FIVE) mb up and down to have solid gameplay as long as you get a low ping with no jitter. When the 360 first came out Microsoft set a max 512k/512k limit on data transfer for game makers to use. Guys claiming that you need a 50/10 connection are just bragging up their ePeen, my old 1.5/896k DSL connection had no issues HOSTING 12player matches and did fine with Groundwar also. Also though SLOW my non-interleaved DSL is QUICK with LOW ping and NO jitter.

shmedlywilcox88

Keep in mind now that the promo period is over and you're on their 3mbps plan, that AT&T throttles their bandwidth usage and also limits you to 150GB per month before charging extra.

So after reading everyone's responses, it sounds like ping and jitter might be more of the issue rather than connection speed, is that correct?

I'm actually at work right now and will definitely do speed and ping tests when I get home...

Another thing (although I wouldn't think this would matter as much) - I use the Wireless Network Adapter for my XBox, which is located probably about 10-15 feet away from the router, which is in the next room (separated by one wall). I don't think this has THAT much of an impact because as I mentioned before, I wasn't having this problem for the past year...

Any thoughts?

Well guys, the upgrade to 6GB seemed to make everything better. I checked the speed and ping as everyone suggested. I'm at 5.6 GB download, 25-62 ms ping, and I think 2 jitter...

It's running in tip-top shape. Nothing less than all green bars. VERY NOTICEABLE difference. I'll pay the extra $5/month if that means it stays like this. It's a night and day difference.

Thanks for all of your help.