32 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 9:20 PM by vims1990 RSS

League Play - Epic Fail?

WKMMS

I can't help but notice that every time I check the League Play playlist, there's  barely 1000 players and they are shared across three playlists.  Does anyone else think that they should ditch this altogether and put in some modes that people might actually want to play?  Your thoughts?

• Re: League Play - Epic Fail?
    Run_N_Gunning_Camper

They need to offer more incentive to get more people to play it. Maybe a quad XP that counts towards multiplayer may help. How does a Nuketown 24/7 TDM on league sound?

jpischke

Me and my friend were talking about this the other day. It seems stupid because the very small amount of people that play league makes it take forever to actually find a game when we try and even after being ranked the games never changed. It was still just people from all different rankings and most of the time we just get dominated. The only reason we even tried it was for the stupid achievment and we got thru the 5 ranking games winning only one and that was when the opposite team all quit except for 2 people. It is just a stupid idea, its not popular, and the people on it can brag I guess about being the top in their leauge, but when there is really only 1000 people in the whole playlist what does that even mean? We gave up on it, it is sad because if it was more popular you would have more even games and be able to find games quicker but the way it is now I just see it as a waste of space on my screen.

trialstardragon

It is not going anywhere any time soon in this game no matter what anyone says, no matter how many threads say it is a waste of time, no matter how many people think and say it suck. It was Vahns brainchild and part of his driving force for how the game plays this time around. So they will not remove it just because a few people do not like it.

Pretty broad definition of "few"

200,000 people online

100 people on league play

.5% of the online population playing that game mode means there is 0 reason to keep it, hell sabotage had more people in it in previous games.

trialstardragon

It does not matter, it was part of the driving force for vahn in how and why he wanted this game created and the other features that go with it like live steaming and cod casting. it is not going anywhere. they will not be removing it from this game, no matter how many people like you do not like it. It would have to have nearly empty playlists and by that I mean less than 200 players a list before they would even consider doing anything about it.

The point of creating any service or product is gearing it towards what the majority of the customers want. His brain child or not; a humongous majority of the player base could care less about it and it is waste of space, time, and effort.

trialstardragon

he does not have to care if you do not like it. He is the lead developer for the game. So he has the final say, not you or anyone else. So no matter how many people like you complain about it, it is not going anywhere in this game.

No where in my post did I complain. I was stating FACTS.

Facts about how you run a business/company and facts about the current status regarding League Play. Without MAJOR changes to the way League Play is operated and performs it is never going to gain steam. Being a developer does not mean squat. If he is out of touch with the majority of the player base it makes him look worse rather than better.

1. Takes forever to find a match.

2. Too many people camping.

3. Too many people camping.

4. Too many people camping.

5. Game Crashes/Host leaves.

6. Repeat.

minionsquisher

League Play = A waste of playlist space, nothing more, nothing less :(

vims1990

I predicted that League Play would not be very popular within the community.

The reason being that it isn't popular is due to the fact that the majority of the COD community doesn't play COD competitively. Less than 1% of the community do play it competitively.

I'm sure Vahn is looking at the numbers and thinking of ideas to encourage more players to use the league playlist but personally I would just remove the playlist to make space for more hardcore game modes etc.

codchamp

I have to say i enjoy leauge play and i prefer it over public matchmaking.

There is ONE major issue that is the problem. People leaving games when they are getting beat. Why do they do it? Simple, If they leave, then they dont take a loss and it protects there standing in there bracket. It is to bad that this happens as it could be a very good place to find good competition.

My opinon on what could get leauge play more players, offer more XP than standard public matchmaking.

trialstardragon

You can gain a lot of exp in league games. More than the average normal game. I can eaisly go up 4+ levels after prestige in normal lists,. If I go to league after prestige I can easily go up 5+ levels. Just depends upon the league playlist and the team your on.

My biggest beef with league is that they allow the target finder and mms and try to call it competitive. when those are anything but competitive.

WKMMS

There's the thing that put me off League play... in my eyes it's not a truly competitive gamemode. The reason for this, as I see it, is that there are scorestreaks allowed.  I saw an interview with Vahn before the game came out where he said the 4v4 playlist would not have any scorestreaks.  I thought, that sounds like my cup of tea - all gunskill, no camping to build up your streak, people not afraid to play the objective because there was no streak to lose, every kill earned and every death you just got outplayed. Unfortunately that promise was not delivered on so I saw no point.  There's nothing there that I can't find in the public playlist. 

It may be Vahn's baby, but being realistic, how long can he continue to promote and push it when the interest is not there?  It's not the big feature and selling point that he hoped/expected it to be.  Maybe you're right and it's here to stay, but it just doesn't seem viable to keep it in its current form.

trialstardragon

he does not have to be realistic about it. it is his baby so he can keep it in the game as long as he wants no matter what any player here says about it.

Yes it does need changes, that is agreed upon; but it is not going to be removed from the game.

They need to take the score streaks out and the TF and MMS to begin with. If they are going to remove the non-lockon launchers than those two sights have to go as well. Plus they should remove the laser sight, for that is not skillful to use either.

Dyn4mics

What's worse is in about 4 months when GI does a follow-up story on the game it will read something like this, "The much touted Leage Play has injected new life into the franchise and brought back the competitive nature of Call of Duty."

trialstardragon

Yep they probably will and will not be exactly off, since some players may have bought because they heard of league play. So it will just be a stretching of the truth, maybe enough to make it scream, but eh it still will have some truth to it.

ibeyahtzee

I cannot stand league play for this reason-

Why don't they add a hardcore mode to league play? I am a dedicated hardcore mode player and I cannot stand league play because it is core only. I realize I may not speak for the whole cod community, but I hate core game play. I love the league play idea, but I will not become active in it unless they bring in a game mode for hardcore players.

jahMoon

I agree with vims assessment, only a small percentage of people want to really be competitive.  TDM rules shooter games since Quake 1 back in the 90's.  Domination is good for party play, not so good for random players.

They should do variations of TDM, like sniper only.  Do it for a period of time an if people don't like it move on to something else.  Really like the 3 rounds and when you are killed you are out until the next round.  But, that would never work with this community of players. 

belly120

i was really keen on it and played a lot in the pre season trial league then dropped it as it has nothing that i can't get in core

having everything unlocked sucked to as there is no incentive to keep chasing that weapon prestige or use that next attachment

it was a cool concept that was wasted on a community of bums who just want to kick back and relax by randomly shooting other randoms which is what i spend my evenings doing lol

anyhow kinda off topic but related to vaguely, anyone even wasted 10 minutes cod casting, E sporting or video making because i'll wager that has gone nowhere either

if they had made more of an effort to create an infrastructure that they ran that ment league play was televised/youtubed once a week with a match of the day style web show then players would get on board as it would be that shot at you tube fame.

a gamer "Did you see me get the winning kill cam on (cheesy show name) last friday"

other gamer "yeah i did mate it was rad, i'm gonna go for it this week"

but they didn't they just kinda put it out there and walked off going "yeah its totally awesome but we really don't care enough to use it ourselves"  great way to incentivise a community there 3arc

TWINDEATHSTAR

its a great idea they just need to make it so we can get prestige multiplayer experience from it. If thats what people want to play then why must they not be rewarded for multiplayer experience points?

ROXSTARUK

League Play? More like Lag Play!

I can't get into a league game that doesnt either take forever or have dreadful connection issues...

I gave up on playing leagueplay for the samereason i gave up mercenary moshpit when i had the game, HARDPOINT. That gamemode is retarded.

KoRny1

More people would play league matches if they just fixed it so it wasn't total bull ****.

Make it so that both teams are comprised mostly of people from the same division, and make it so that premade teams can't do solo play...that might bring people to it.

belly120

hang on there, leagued players can play in other divisions????

i was in gold league and i assumed i was playing only against other gold league players and that when i rose to the top i would try to climb the next league, is that not the case???

by the way if thats not the case that is a massive load to toss w**k

if they wanted to make league cool they should arrange mothly matches where the best players in a league would be invited to a league v league mini championship kind of like a world cup and post the competition on you tube using cod casting.  they need to push the e sports agenda not leave it to us as its their baby and they can market it and make the hype happen so that it can build up a community

they could draft in guest stars for teams like tmartn or driftor etc to help out some of the lower ranked teams etc, do something to generate a buzz about this stupid mode

When the match is starting you can see what league eveyone is in when at the lobby. They will have a little medal to the right of their name showing what league theyre in. I havent tried since the "official season" but i rarely got paired with people in my bracket (platinum). Most people were the bronze one or unplaced.

warlordgumby

you should feel lucky, i got placed in silver division, and im matched up constantly against gold and up. sometimes my team wins and sometimes we lose, but 95% of the time, we arent in our division at all.

I dont know if i was lucky. Many times my team mates were in a lower division and didnt contribute much. Looking at you CTF!!! If i wanted to win many of my matches i had to one man army. Ended up winning about 25 matches and losing about 10. Biggest contributing factor to losing in league was teammate not playing objectives and still dreaded lag issues. I guess its hard to not lag when theres only about 3000 to choose from, that the max i saw when i played it.

Restore_Hardcore

Epic is not epic enough.

I may not understand it, but it seems if I were in a league I would be playing on a LAN.

vims1990

Griefbot wrote:

I may not understand it, but it seems if I were in a league I would be playing on a LAN.

I agree. If you want to establish competitive matches, the connection should be fair in the sense that players are on an even playing field (LAN).

However, we are not playing on LAN therefore winning/losing gunfights is based on connection rather than skill.

League Play & Skill Based Matchmaking is flawed when it comes to connection. You could be placed in the top league but if say the top league has small portion of players, you'll be matchmaked to different countries etc as there aren't enough top league players from your region.