29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 5:34 AM by DaveW RSS

EU matchmaking

Ss78_

Can we get a tweak for the EU?

Since I've got a good connection in NL it seems to use me as a central hub quite often for hosting. The last match I just backed out of because it was a joke had me hosting with someone from South Africa and USA which in my opinion is a no no. The other players were from the UK,Italy and France as well as 2 other locals.

Tonight seems to be especially bad with me being matched up with Italians,French,Hungarians,Polish,Spanish and Norwegians.

I don't really mind getting matched with the local NL & UK/Ireland/Belgium/Germany and maybe Denmark or France if they have a decent connection but from my experience as soon as it goes any further it's a nightmare.

The French/Spanish/Polish/Italian/Hungarian/Swedish/Swiss/Austrian/Norwegian connections nearly always give me sub par games.

It's up to the matchmaking to provide me with a good game mostly so if you can tweak it it would be welcome.

• Re: EU matchmaking
    unl0adingr0ry

Wij NL'ers hebben het zwaar. Ben zo vaak host en dat is niet fijn wanneer je een hoge/snelle internetverbinding hebt. Vaak last van Host-lag, jij daar ook evaring mee?

Ss78_

Ja bijna iedere pot. Je weet het zelf wel hoe het gaat met een goede verbinding in NL.

We need more dutchies with good connections to speak up about how it is. Better to write in english so they can read it though.

Not just You Guys in Holland, I am in the UK. I am always getting the French spanish Italian lobbies if going solo.I even get guys From Japan for crying out loud!

The connections with Southern Europe are always Awful <including France>.

I have mentioned this on several threads, glad it isnt Just me

Ss78_

Sorry if you thought I was leaving you out but I can only give my personal experience. If you're in the EU and think the matchmaking needs tweaking then by all means tell them what's up.

Japan is quite frequent,just like the usa and canada. The usa does seem to have more than one player per game getting into EU pots while I only ever see a solo japanese or canadian player.

It annoys the hell out of me that Treyarch seems to consider "Europe" as one location for matchmaking.

I'm in the UK and very rarely am I in lobbies where the majority are also in the UK.

Not only does it mean I have to cope with overseas lag but it also makes communication very difficult when there are 3-4 different languages being used in the lobby.

Ss78_

Ok so I just backed out because the game was sub par to see another host migration.

The matchmaking was as follows

NL 2 (host)

UK 4

IRELAND 1

ITALY 1

GERMANY 1

FRANCE 1

BELGIUM 1

CZECH REPUBLIC 1

This is what needs tweaking as common sense alone says this will only cause trouble.

Ss78_

It took me a while but I managed to get adeadfox's scripts to work. Here's a typical dutch matchmaking result. The map shows the other 11 players.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216844075515075473838.0004d2f43dc0d9f99f99e &msa=0&ll=49.325122,11.074219&spn=24.980116,67.631836

Do you think this is a too wide spread for the EU?

I know it's only 1 result and I'll try and get some more when I have the time.

Looking at that map perhaps they should split Europe into maybe 4 zones? West, South, East, and Scandinavia. I'm in Ireland so the western section could be Ire/UK//Bel/NL/Lux?.

Ss78_

y0ssar1an22 wrote:

Looking at that map perhaps they should split Europe into maybe 4 zones? West, South, East, and Scandinavia. I'm in Ireland so the western section could be Ire/UK//Bel/NL/Lux?.

4 zones with slight overlaps could be better yes. It'll depend on where the xbox servers are located as they're used for the matchmaking in some way too. I'm not quite sure how to get the server locations yet but I can see their ips and will look into it further after I've done some more matchmaking location data gathering.

I am also from europe and i would love to see the circle being smaller, i mean i have no problem playing vs people from netherland, austria, france, germany. But sometimes i get matched with USA, Canada, Japan, South Africa, thats a no go in my book.

Not in Call of Duty, anyways. I'm from the USA and have the same issues with Japan, South Africa, UK, etc. Oddly enough, on Halo 4 it's fine even thought it's P2P. Battlefield 3 is like an international hub and the dedicated servers keep it smooth as butter.

Depends on the game obviously. You're all cool in my book on any other game.

I love USA and Canada, its just the game lags to much and it has nothing to do with you guys internet or ours, its the distance is to big between us. Like you said, its the game not the people. When i get killed by a player that teleports or is in godmode then its not his fault, its the matchmaking.

Ss78_

Where are you from? Is there any country specifically in the eu that you think is too far away because it effects your game?

I am from that WW2 country, i mean germany lol.

Norway, Schweden, Finland, Russia, Turkey are to far away from my gaming experience, i think the Matchmaking in Europe should be splitted into 2 or 3 areas. East Europe, Middle Europe and West Europe.

Best connection is when playing with France, Netherland, Austria, Poland and all the other small neighbour countries.

Its basically the same as you have mentioned, the neighbour countries are good, everything further isn't that good anymore.

SitRepPro

FixBlops2 wrote:

Its basically the same as you have mentioned, the neighbour countries are good, everything further isn't that good anymore.

Not necessarily.  Spain and France are relatively close to the UK but I've had laggy players from both of those countries.  Maybe Ireland as well but I don't come across many of them and they're a small country by population so I'm not bothered about them.

I've played against people seemingly from Japan, noticing the kanji in their profiles so it might be that they're friends with European players and the European players have left and the Japanese gamer has remainend in predominently European lobbies so that I get paired with him or her.

The game appears to be very inconsistent.  There was this German person doing really well for two matches, one against my side and one with, then along came Standoff and s/he failed to break even and noticed the person left after the match.  So may be the game gave him/her God mode and then it was his/her turn to be screwed over during Standoff?  Wouldn't surprise me.

France and Spain are relative close to UK thats true but UK is a island and the connection is overseas. My experience with players form overseas like UK, Ireland, Norway, Schweden, Finland are extremely hard to kill in the game, sometimes its like they are untouchable, i know its not your connection, UK has actually good connections but like i said, connection to players overseas is very inconsistant. You probably experience the same when playing vs us.

Ss78_

I'm not entirely sure how they should split EU matchmaking. You can tell they use the same model for the usa though as the matchmaking spread is wide but this is not the usa and we don't all speak the same languages for a start.

It would also be very interesting to know what exactly happens to our packets when they cross borders in the EU? Does every country have some some sort of government filter/firewall? Do the network backbones change in quality country to country here? I've no clue on these things but if that's the case it'd be interesting to know.

Yeah neighbouring countries aren't the issue it's when the matchmaking creates a europarty from all over that is.

If i had the opportunity to create the matchmaking then i would split USA in 2 areas, east and west. I hear a lot of eastcoast americans complain about getting put in westcoast lobbies, visa versa.

I thought the same with how the EU treats the different ISP connections and their firewalls, i just know that Netherland has amazing internet, its one of the best in the EU, when ever i download something from the internet like stuff from Sourceforge.net then i always pick Netherland as source.

Check the link below, its a table of the average connection sorted by countries.

http://www.netindex.com/upload/allcountries/

I  find that when i play with France people for example, they sometimes have a better connection (ping) to me when i am Host than people from my own country. I am not gonna lie, here in germany some people have absolute crap internet connection, i am one of the lucky ones who has actually a good connection and the ISP nodepoint for this area is my house neighbour, only 20 meters away from my house.

SeraphOne

On a side note, language should also be considered. Communicating with non English players is hard, I seem to be in French lobbies most of the time, even though I'm in London.

Hi, i'm from France, south France precisely, Toulouse.

I live in downtown with a 20-30 ms average ping, so I play a lot with UK and NL. Not that I care whom I play against, but I care if I am host (5 times out of ten..), because I will be insta-killed. I play sometimes with Spain, Italy, Germany, and most of the EU. When i play against other continents, it's mostly north and south america, and there is no survivors left, it's a massacre. You start the game, figure that you have the advantage, change your class to knife only, and you can dance around enemies, lie down and up again, they will never kill you. Or the exact opposite..

With my friends all around France, we came to this conclusion : The better the connection in terms of ping, the more you will be disadvantaged. When you host, you have 2 options : control the engagement to counter the lag effect (in other words, camp..), or quit the game because you'll lose every gunfights.

Another thing, internet in France is average. In some big cities, we have the fiber (5ms ping, 100/100mb, etc..), but it's not widespread because the ISPs don't really promote it (too expensive for them..), so almost eveybody who play online games have ADSL. With adsl it all depends on the location you live in. in remote areas, they have bad ping, and that can mean good lag compensation, meaning that some dudes are already prestige masters with a 5 K/D when you struggle with 1.3 K/D on prestige 2. Those guys are like actors in Holliday on Ice !! They ice-skate all over the maps and pwnd everyone !! I know a few guys with fiber, for the most part, they pown all the time, no effort. For a few guys, the game is useless online, they will never kill a guy with the proper amount of bullets. So what's the deal with connection?

I wish we could choose like BO1 the region we play in.

As for the UK playing a lot with the FR, I think the XBOX servers are based in the UK, right ? So, because BO2's matchmaking is based upon ping, and a UK guy right next to the servers has a 20 ms ping with them, and I, with the same ping, we could play together..And because there are a lot of FR guys with a good ping, we meet a lot of UK guys..

In the end, there is a final rule. When there's a guy beasting your lobby, check his prestige and ratio, it's almost everytime the biggest number in the lobby. Is it because he is better ? Please..

One final thought : Europe is considered as a small area for microsoft, that's why we don't have servers in several major countries, the third wheel of the world maybe..

DR65DR

I'm probably moving to your neck of the woods in the next couple of years, and I was amazed at just how good ADSL coverage is in France. It puts the UK to shame, frankly.

It's a shame that CoD has never instituted the same system BF3 did, which allowed you to choose regional servers for games.

Its something of a curates egg in my experience, I have come across a fair bit of WAN wireless networks for local broadband in certain locations in France. God help anyone who has them as host imho.

Ss78_

I don't want to rain on your parade here but when I was looking into country stuff for mw3 france wasn't better in comparison. Check out akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/ you can add countries and then it shows you a graph for whatever you want to know.

Well you would need to have dedicated servers in the first place would you not to even choose in the first place. Something which will probably never happen.

With my friends all around France, we came to this conclusion : The better the connection in terms of ping, the more you will be disadvantaged. When you host, you have 2 options : control the engagement to counter the lag effect (in other words, camp..), or quit the game because you'll lose every gunfights.

100% correct.

Then better your connection in game to the Host then faster you die, Host has the best connection thats why we dies so fast while being Host. Players with bad connection to the Host (3bar or a unstable 4bar) have a advantage because they are hard to kill (hitmarker after hitmarker). Those people don't see the advantage because the game runs how it should be for them, but we with the good connection to Host die extremly fast while 3 bar players are hard to kill.

The connection advantage has never been so huge in any CoD before than in this game, if you are on the good side then its like you have stopping power and juggernaut perks, no skill, just connection advantage.

SitRepPro

People actually communicate in this game?  I don't allow comms except friends because of trash talkers but that was more from MW2 than anything.

UK Lobbies are full of Terminators.