24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 5:58 PM by LimonAgrio RSS

moderate vs open

that6uy420

My NAT has always been Open.  for some reason this morning it has been stuck on moderate.  Anyone have a clue as to why it would change like that without having done anything to the router?

• Re: moderate vs open
    Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Mine did the same thing. It used to be open and for some reason, it's stuck on moderate nowadays. I don't remember doing anything but I don't really mind it. I'm not having trouble finding games but I suspect I'm not getting host anymore.

xmrythem

mine always fluctuates. I never change it. It doesn't hinder me.

no it just hinders everyone else your in the lobby with

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

How is it hindering the rest in the lobby? AFAIK, moderate stops you from hosting. I don't know any other things it does.

Off topic: I heard the devs were on moderate when they played with the fans.

it does not stop you hosting games it reduces the amount of people you can search for and limmits how to put more available connections.

simple exsplanation as most and i say most people with modrate to striced nat types are on low budget isp (adsl and adsl2) connections people in your lobby on good fiber and realy good adsl connections get limeted to these poor connections more so and get an even greater chance of running into them.

il tell you a senareo from my 9hr session last night with freinds every game odd randoms on our team and opposite team sitting on 2 bar 3 bar connection my auntie joins party we in mass yellow bar lobbys even my connection starts to waver so be it servers a filling up a freind pipes up how come i keep getting booted from party chat and reconnecting now i know said person on a good fibre so i ask your nat type changed his replie nope its open and to my disamay my aurnt pipes up mines on modrate which exsplained how we had all gone from greens and odd yellow conections to all yellow conection lobbys her isp faggout talk talk isp.

neadless to say im off round there tonight to try and get that resolved

does that answer your question how it drags the lobby down

maccabi

lastrich wrote:

it does not stop you hosting games it reduces the amount of people you can search for and limmits how to put more available connections.

correct

lastrich wrote:

simple exsplanation as most and i say most people with modrate to striced nat types are on low budget isp (adsl and adsl2) connections people in your lobby on good fiber and realy good adsl connections get limeted to these poor connections more so and get an even greater chance of running into them.

not correct (and you started off so well too

right nat is very misunderstood ,

dispelling a few myths

all nat does is ease/remove the burden on your isp in assigning an ip address to everything on your network that connects to the internet.,

Nat allows your outer to be assigned an isp ip address and then you handle the handle ips of tose devices connecrted to it.

Nat only affects who you can connect to , this translates in game to not being to join someones party or not being able to hear them or them hear you in chat,

it has NO bearing on game play expereince, doesnt affect what everyone would refer to as speed ect.

To be honest i wouldnt really worry too much about moderate nat, contary to what people think it really wont affect you that much an open nat can communicate with mod nat and svice versa

strict nat you'll have problems

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Thanks for clearing that, Mac. I have no idea why my Nat suddenly became moderate out of nowhere. All I remember is it started when we had a snowstorm.

maccabi

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

Thanks for clearing that, Mac. I have no idea why my Nat suddenly became moderate out of nowhere. All I remember is it started when we had a snowstorm.

usuaully restarting a router of running the consoles network test will fix it..but its no biggy

as for snow storms, chesty fisty bump solidarity show we had major rain here, village flooded, our telephone exchange got flooded..

end result out of my two adsl lines  i currently have 160kbps down and 220 up bandwidth till thursday when the engineers are scheduled to come out and fix it

as i understand that to be true i was pointing out that because she is on low rate isp and most of the people suffering from this type of issue it limits match makeing to these bad isp connections and on a whole lowers the lobbys chances of ever getting a smooth full green bar room wich always happens to myself and freinds due to this issue plus takes far too long to get into a lobby from the search menu

asianman12

lastrich wrote:

as i understand that to be true i was pointing out that because she is on low rate isp and most of the people suffering from this type of issue it limits match makeing to these bad isp connections and on a whole lowers the lobbys chances of ever getting a smooth full green bar room wich always happens to myself and freinds due to this issue plus takes far too long to get into a lobby from the search menu

Then use a host with an Open NAT.  I played today with a moderate NAT with an Open NAT host.  had no problems finding games.

that6uy420

Thanks Mac!  the unplugging router/modem AND running the live test worked...  seems i hadn't done the test or clearing cache

Open nats can play with all nat types.

Moderate nats can play only with moderate or open nats.

Strict nats can only play with strict and open nats.

The only difference between moderate and open is moderates can not play with stricts while open can play with anyone. The only way your auntie could affect your game was if she was your party leader, and it would not affect anyone who was not in your party. Hope that helped some.

phxs72

Mines been stuck on Moderate for quite awhile now.  It hasn't really affected anything and I didn't do anything to cause it that I'm aware of.  I still draw host from time to time but I don't think that it's anymore than I used to when I had an open setting.

I had the same problem, i solved it by changing the region in the dashboard and do a network test via dashboard to see if it worked.

ghostsniper2010

im always open but if mind ever changes then i just reset my super hub but my mate always has modrate NAT type and he gets host 8 ties out of 10

super hub has a firmware issue mate its looseing 50% of your packet data VM knows about it and trying to resolve with the new rs56 firmware update i beleave it called but not worked as far as i know just put mine in modem only mode bought my own tbit router much better

ghostsniper2010

i am on 60MB atm so u think i should get a routor

im not saying to you go out and buy a new router as this will NOT solve your issuses with this game as i myself and so many others are haveing the same issues with RElag and forth but i would suggest downloading a trace net program i beleave they called and what that does is you can set peramiters to ping bbc google and so on over and over it shows the amount of hops your connection is taking to get out onto the world wide web can be anything from 15 to as many as 30+ mine was sitting at around 30 hops and same program does a repeated ping test see what that returns if your looseing 50% of your packet data then yes i would suggest you replace it with your own router realy easy to do you just change the superhub settings under advanced tab to modem only mode then connect your wep port on new router i forget now whats its called to the first yellow port next to the coax cable on the hub and use your new router for the routing tasks this problem first came to light i beleave during MW3 release and it has saved me so much time and headace plus there is a free google program called bench search i beleave that you can download and run wich scans and tests for the best dns server available to you.

you just enter the values into your xbox under pri and sec dns and in therory should reduce the amount of hops your connection takes but thats about your limmit from your end to improveing your connection for this game.

VM are working with netgear to resolve this issue and 1000s people beta testing firmware but as yet i dont think they cracked it yet hope this helps mate its realy about my limmit lol

Total BS. I have the superhub with 100/5 and I have monitored my packets for the last 2 weeks and have not lost even 1 packet. Think about what your saying before you state it as a fact. Maybe your home network is sub par dude.

Also, VMs DNS 194.168.4.100 or 194.168.8.100 are faster than any other DNS servers according to name bench or whatever that program is called. Googles 8.8.8.8 was way slower than VMs, but I`m not here to argue. In fact I`m off to play Bops 2.

ghostsniper2010

How is it BS everyone is dif why dont u go and look on the virgin media forums instead of putting other ppl down. just coz ur super hub is ok does not mean ours is

LimonAgrio

ABluntedBullet wrote:

Total BS. I have the superhub with 100/5 and I have monitored my packets for the last 2 weeks and have not lost even 1 packet. Think about what your saying before you state it as a fact. Maybe your home network is sub par dude.

Also, VMs DNS 194.168.4.100 or 194.168.8.100 are faster than any other DNS servers according to name bench or whatever that program is called. Googles 8.8.8.8 was way slower than VMs, but I`m not here to argue. In fact I`m off to play Bops 2.

Just an out of the blue question. Are you monitoring in game UPD traffic? And if so, how exactly you know you are not losing any UDP packets ?  Just curious.