40 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 2:57 PM by Gerbera RSS

Obsessed about your K/D? What it does mean to be "good"!

TMBI

Many players in CoD are totally obsessed about their K/D. It seems to be their only Stats indicating "being good" and skilled...

In CoD the most played/used Game-Mode is supposed to be "Domination".

Playing the objective in DOM does mean: Occupying flags and holding them!

The team who gets the most flags, holding them the longest times, wins.

A "high" K/D is not needed to win a match in DOM...neither it maked you a "good" DOM-Player at all...

I am playing CoD now since CoD 3/4. I started playing DOM with MW2 and co-founded a DOM-Clan in BO1.

The best DOM players in our Clan do not have a "+" K/D at all. Some have, some don´t. It´s for a reason!

Domination is an "Team-based"-Game-Mode. That means: You are winning as a Team - and you lose as a Team!

A well working Domination-Clan is build by different types of players:

Some "Rushers" clearing the area of the next attackable flag.

Some "Passive-Rushers" catching the flag while beeing supported and accompanied by other rushers and supporters.

Some "Supporters" who either run as a patrol around already caught flags or sweeping away Defenders!

Communication is reduced to some useful information e.g. when being killed by an sniper/camper telling it´s position to teammates...

Everyone knows what he has to do - and knows what the others are doing. No words needed.

Not everyone is playing in an Clan.

If you´re not playing in an Clan, you often might think that your personal success in DOM depends on others people behaviour only.

That´s pretty wrong!

Everyone can be an "Game-Changer" - if he´s skilled enough to "read" the match and to find out whom of your random-team-mates might be the best to support or follow!

In DOM it´s all about catching the flagpositions! Nothing more, nothing less.

To win an DOM-match you should not camp all way long - you need to attack! Minimum 3-4 Team-players should attack! If it´s less (or if it´s "noobs"), you´ll lose. Be sure!

Most people I know who have an average K/D of higher than 2.0 or equal and playing DOM only, are either campers or snipers.

They never have high SPM and their W/L is poorly 40% or less!

Sure, I do have matches with K/D´s of 2.0 and above sometimes - but then everything needs to run "wonderful" - and enemies should not be skilled to much or camp..

Let´s come to an conclusion:

Your high K/D is not indication that you are not a Noob, not a fool - and even at least: That you are supposed to be good and skilled!

If you deny to play on the objective just to keep your K/D "high", you are definitely not a good, skilled player! Then you are an noobish fool and being proud about it!

I am utterly fed up by all those little kids and fools who do abuse DOM as their Kindergarden to play hide ´n seek just for their f***ing K/D!

My 2ct...

• Re: Obset about your K/D? What it does mean to be "good"!
    DRIVR777

Do you mean upset? What is obset?

• Re: Obsessed about your K/D? What it does mean to be "good"!

I've been a hardcore MAG player the last 3 years. So I don't see COD has being a team game, especially when one guy is on your team one match, and then on the other team the next. win/loss % does not hold the same merit for me in this game. I could see league play being different, but thats just my view point on the team stuff. At the end of the day, i want more kills then deaths, and most of all, I want to have fun. I don't see the point in rushing B on a Dom match when its just pure choas and nothing but spamming grenades all over the place. Sometimes this game feels like its NASCAR, its all one big circle with the random spawning. I'm learning how it works now, and I am having fun. But a win or loss at the end of the game will not bother me in the slightest.

women shouldnt be playing black ops

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

Why does it matter to you, if your clan plays as a team and you all have a role to play then you are in the best scenario for objective games.  I fail to see how it seems to upset you.

Playing solo however you have no idea what you are letting yourself in for with your team of randoms, which is why I usually stick to TDM and KC.  On the few games I do play Dom with randoms if all my team mates are rushers I will defend either A or C, if they are defensive I will go on the attack.

If people want to come into these games purely for KD there is not a lot you or I can do about it but just play with your team and dig out the win.

Enjoy the game for what it is and accept people have there own agenda's.

TMBI

Game-Modes are made for the different "Agenda´s" of all kind of players!

So: Why do many people deny playing the objective just for their K/D?

it´s because they THINK that an high K/D indicates Skill!

It doesn´t!

That needs to be told. That needs to become mandatory knowledge to everyone playing CoD!

If you play a soccer-match, you can keep standing in front of the opponents goal and just wait until the ball is falling on your foot to make the goal...

But: No spectator will think "wow, what a skilled, nice, good player and team-mate!

If I play any kind of game, I want to be "good" - but this always means to respect the rules and the objective!

If I deny the rules and the objective, I am just an spoil-sport!

I am fed up of spoil-sporters!

Don´t you?

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

I think one of the reason's people play for 'kd' in these modes is because they know that people will be more agressive and thus for kill whores 'easy kills'.  I have played in KC matches where my random team mates are telling others to leave the tags so the game lasts longer!!!!

Sod that I always do my best for the team, I think maybe if TDM lasted longer ie 6x6 - 100 or 125 kills to win then maybe, just maybe some of these 'TDM' players may return to there correct mode.

Another factor TDM 100 points per kill, kill an attacking player in Dom 125 points so kill streaks quicker (TDM must be the lowest scoring mode). I usually double my xp when playing KC.

I'm definately just average at best for this game, but a really high kdr definately shows someone is skilled at killing lots of people. i defend the flags in DOM, but not usually B. i die way too many times when i go to the middle of these maps. its a FPS, i don't like dying lol i'm sorry, but its true. i have no problem defending or trying to capture the other flags though.

so in since were on the subject of playing dom and team base.. my team and i play smart we take 2 flags and hold it its common sense.. we dont attack the 3rd flag because we do not want people to get behind us.

when we play dom we all hold a position down, yes that means camping our asses off at that location, hate me if u want, but in the competitive gaming world thats how its played. our experiences come from playing Socom 2, were its camp camp camp, the 3rd person view makes you more prone to being spotted. the whole point of my post is, if you want to win DOM you gotta play smart and not play reckless (rushing).

yes you need some form of skill to even camp, if one person lets 1 or 2 people by its gonna be tough to get that spot back, so definitly your team needs to have some skills.

most will disagree with me, and say were a bunch of "camping" fa.gs but its domination. the objective is to hold the flags down till you reach for the score limit.

now lets say we are not winning. 50/100 there is a 50% chance you can still win, but in most cases people panic and start doing stupid shi.t, its important to keep relax and work your way to the flag.

example: B flag Overflow the worst flag ever lol, most people would just rush for it. to me thats EASY kills. since i know there coming, distrupt the flow of the game, smoke grenades, emps, flash, concussion. i can guarantee thats a MIND *****. to the other team. then make the rush to get B, 4 people on it can easily take it in 3 seconds  have the other 2 watching the sides, and or 5 other people locking down the sides and any choke points.

the main reason most people lose a domination match is cause i can bet 80% of the team is running high scorestreaks.

i actually hate running them now i use to run the typical swarm combo..

when you  can get  2 or 3 good guns running medium scorestreaks believe me its a CONSITANT way to keep the other team on edge.

the key to winning all the time is playing mind games with the enemy.. try to keep them going WDF WDF WDF WDF WDF what can we do..

my advice: Take away there scorestreaks and theres nothing they can do.

TMBI

I do not "hate" Teams like yours!

Camping in DOM can be a legal tactics. I don´t mind about those who try to defend their flags.

Our team has got an pretty high W/L - so that means: We can handle with any kind of Opponents!

If a camper is playing the objective, he´s not a problem finally.

Only campers who just camp for their K/D and Scorestreaks might become a slight problem.

I pretend: I sometimes leave those DOM-Matches of there are to many TDM-Players inside...

Rushing, anyway, does not mean "running blind" and "stupid" into the battle-zone!

If you are an experienced and quite skilled rusher, you know where to watch out for enemies - even for campers and defenders! They ain´t a problem, just easy targets - moist of the time!

If there are too many TDM´s inside - or Camper_Noobs, we win 200:20 or 200-50!

If there are "skilled", "organized" Clans, it might be equal, loss or a win on the edge....

I suppose we never have lost a DOM-Match with more than 20 points difference...

So, what do we talk about?

I think we have the same point of view: People not playing the objective in DOM are just bothering noobish Jerks being obsessed about their K/D!

im glad we both can see the same picture here!

finally some one other than some stupid idiot teenager (no offence if your one) that goes campi.ng **** blah blah.

my typical response. its DOM get use to it, go play KC if u wanna run around looking stupid lol

i agree with the rushing part,but even then if your team is out of sync that can easily make or break losing a flag, so i always say to stay behind the border (dont go pass B) holding a position down, and certain people at certain spots can easily counter a rusher.

the only time i approve of one or two of our members rushing is at the early part of the game.. to get the quick advantage, usually the guys who run UAV.. the moment you got eyes on the enemy the easier it is to take a position.

from what ive learn the pass few years in COD and in Paintballing, is.. "Let them come to you" you know theres no one gonna be behind you, the only way is to come at you.

the biggest factor is calling out, im not saying we can all go 10-0 in dom if we play like that people die, but if some one dies we know to call out and give a QUICK i mean RAELLY quick shout where they are at and one person can easily engage the enemy.

GALACT1C0s117

yesterday I met someone in the enemy team who got a VSAT,Dogs, and Swarm. I've never crossed paths we him so I guess he got the scorestreaks off my team, by the end of the match he went 103-4 with 0 captures and like 10 defends  The worst part for him is that he lost the match, I checked his combat record and he had a 2.54 KD, but his WL ratio was really low like .31. The next game he was again in the opposite team and  he was getting killed a lot, then before the 1st round was over he ragequit. I checked his games and he quits everytime he doesn't get his scoretreaks. These are the people that only care about their kd

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i only know my ratio is 1.25 because this thread prompted me to look. i kill lots of people while rushing, but i die a lot getting tags (i only play KC).

i don't care if i have a .80 or a 3.80. i still have fun and usually get more tags than kills.

monkeylord

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT wrote:

i only know my ratio is 1.25 because this thread prompted me to look. i kill lots of people while rushing, but i die a lot getting tags (i only play KC).

i don't care if i have a .80 or a 3.80. i still have fun and usually get more tags than kills.

There's nothing quite like snatching up a bunch of tags from 3+ oncoming enemy who only get 1 tag for their trouble it's even better if you can suicide in certain death situations as you don't drop a tag and the C4, RPG or SMAW rocket normally takes out a member or two of the enemy.

As long as you collect more tags than you give up by dying then you'll always have a positive impact on your team. In the game of chess that is COD way to many act as if they're kings where a death is disaster rather than pawns who's smart sacrafice can change the flow of a round in an instant.

Edit: My personal point of view of what defines a "good" player is the ability to adapt to the enemy and play whatever style is needed also consistancy it's no good yo-yoing up and down the end of match leaderboards you need to be able to finish top 3 and sometimes in a bad room your KD may suffer but by switching up how you play you can always do well.

MysticJon

First of all, there is little to no skill involved in any CoD game.

Second, Win/Loss and score per minute are a better indicator of so-called skill.

Third, its a video game. Nothing we do on these games matters. How about we talk about recent test scores, or paychecks? Hmmm?

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

my score per minute is around 250 which I think it's decent for kc (all I play). my w/l is horrible. I always go positive. I'm usually top 3 on my team. it's not my fault if the rest of my squad goes .24 k/d and we lose the match. How many times have I been tossed into a losing game with 30sec left? I lost count. I  think the w/l record is a horrible way to estimate how good someone is.

Decent kdr (1.5< ), decent W/L ratio(at least 1.00??), and a high score per minute. If I think someone is good I usually check their combat record and scores across game modes(ground war).

A good example is one of my friends brags about(thinking he's better than me ) his just above 2.0 kdr but his scores per minute are considerably lower than mine in the 3 game modes. Especially kc, hel kill but in order to confirm he must leave his camp/hold down spot and thus never confirms

CallOfDutyFan88

players like that boost my k/d and spm because of all those points left for me to grab. with a 2+ he is obviously good at what he does and i would gladly leave a guy like that watching a flag while i go get the next one. people have different roles in this game, but winning more gunfights than u lose should always be a priority in every gamemode, losing gunfights only helps the ememy team in every gamemode. cant complete objectives if ur dead... his kills are ending whatever streak that enemy was on so its preventing some of ur deaths too, if hes out there constantly dying than that means the rest of your team are constantly being outnumbered and bombarded by streaks. Plenty of times ive been the only productive player on my team so i see this 1st hand alot, some people suck so bad im better of without them. im good without the guy going 10 for 35 with 12 confirms. he picked up 12 but he dropped 35 and gave me and the rest of us a ton of undeserved hunter killer/lightning/hellstorm/vtol/lodestar/dogs/swarm deaths which dropped even more tags in the process. i could deal with a 2 on 1 enemy advantage alot better than being killed constantly due to the streaks my mates are giving up.

CallOfDutyFan88

if u have a 4 k/d, even if u are a camper or whatnot u still proved to avarage 4 kills for every one death against the general cod population. im sure in that tenure u ran into quite a few skilled players such as myself gunning for you hard and with a 4 k/d i'd say u survived that onslaught pretty well. like it or not but k/d does paint a good picture on how skilled a player is. if u still want to sugarcoat and doubt because ur k/d is low and u really want to falsely believe that ur a slightly better player than average,  just realisticly ask yourself, how often does a player with a 0.30 k/d finish on top of the leaderboard? no lobby ive ever played in at least... but how many times has the highest k/d either finished on top or at least left with very respectable stats? The truth may be ugly be its still the truth nonetheless.

TMBI

CallOfDutyFan88 wrote:

if u have a 4 k/d, even if u are a camper or whatnot u still proved to avarage 4 kills for every one death against the general cod population. im sure in that tenure u ran into quite a few skilled players such as myself gunning for you hard and with a 4 k/d i'd say u survived that onslaught pretty well. like it or not but k/d does paint a good picture on how skilled a player is. if u still want to sugarcoat and doubt because ur k/d is low and u really want to falsely believe that ur a slightly better player than average,  just realisticly ask yourself, how often does a player with a 0.30 k/d finish on top of the leaderboard? no lobby ive ever played in at least... but how many times has the highest k/d either finished on top or at least left with very respectable stats? The truth may be ugly be its still the truth nonetheless.

First of all: In DOM it is possible to be on the top of the leaderboard with an "negative" K/D!

Second: I am usually on the top of the leaderboard of any DOM-match I play - if I start from the beginning of the match.

I do over 5,000 points/match quite often - and I also have K/D´s much higher than my average of 1.22.

When I finish a match with 33:10 kills, 5,500 points, 9 captures and 14 defends, and winning 200:40 - what do you think I am?

A camper? Nope. I am not!

Meanwhile I was supported by one of my teammates with an 0.70 K/D - he was on the flag while I was clearing the area around and joining him in the last second to get the capture-points as well!

I swept all the opponents snipers and campers away - with my Assault-Rifle, SMG or even a f***ing Pistol!

I do not need to use "Supressors", "Blind-Eye", "Dead-Silence", "Ghost" or "Cold-Blooded" to do my work...

I am playiing since CoD4 - and until now I do not even know ONE player with an K/D higher 1.8 who´s neither a camper nor a pussyfooting "Ninja"!

I can keep my K/D in any type of game-mode. Sometimes it´s higher (TDM it´s 1.45), sometimes it´s lower (KC)...

CoD is fun if you are able to win - and adapt on the behavior of your teammates and even more on the opponents!

The skill of "camping" is to find out the best hideouts and best fitting weapon/perk-combo!

The f***ing rest is just waiting for someone passing by!

In MW3 it´s been jerks with portable radar sitting in an dark, dark corner with an shotgun (equipped with supressor!) and waiting for two people passing by at the same time....

I prefer to win "honestly", "brave" and "smart" - not like an "pussyfooting" "coward" who loves "hide ´n seek"....

I am too old (40) for that kind of kid´s- thinking!

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

I respectfully disagree. I can end a match even and still out score the  hell out of the entire lobby.

I go for points, not kills.

however, I have noticed that I tend to die less than anyone else on my team; pretty much always single digits.

all this but I still only have a 1.25 k/d because all I play is kc. I could go play domination and go 50-2 to bring my ratio up. Will that make me a better player?.

Hello,

I think k/d is important, a 1+ shows that a player can kill as much as they die however I think the most important one is W/L If I see 1.5+ (or a 60% win ratio on elite) on W/L I know my team is in for a good challenge.

I enjoy playing other clans in clan ops it pushes my team and me to think more tactically and improves our general skill and coordination.

For individual players though I think looking at their FFA (or the party games) stats would be benificial as that is pure stats on their overall capability as a solo person.

Regards Apocalypse

BukLau101

My thoughts on KDR summed up in two lines

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29508488.jpg

i have a 2.67 kd.. however i have a .6 W/L ..

you can not control a win by yourself.. especially when your playing solo against a clan/party, and your teammates are noobs and randoms, that normally rage quit half way through a match.. however you can control your KD.. which is what i tend to focus on if i see there will be no winning for my team

i can tell usually before the match starts

crosby85

Over the Christmas break I came across many players (not just noobs) that at the end of the game stated that they had destroyed my team as they had a 35:5 K.D yet lost the game 90:200 for example. When I quized these players about how they came to this conclusion when they had lost they answered with "what's the point in winning if you don't have a good K.D?" Now don't get me wrong I do prefer getting to the end of a game with a positive K.D. however I play to win, if that means I die more than the opposition so be it! No matter what if there is a competitive aspect to a game/sport I play to win.

If I was to play in a football team I would do my best to make sure my team scored a goal and not conceed one as this is the objective and the way you win the game. The same principle goes for playing Domination games I do what it take to try and get the win. My whole clan also has the same mind set. We have games where we go 60-10 K.D and win but we also have games that go 10-30 K.D however if we are winning we don't care.

We all hate having a random on our team if they refuse to play the objective if we don't have enough online for a full party (or if some get dropped as we enter the game and swapped for a random as the game seems to have a problem with parties) however sometimes you get a decent player that does.

I understand some peoples perspective that a high average K.D. and I agree this shows you are a good player but not in a game such as DOM unless you get these scores wihile playing the objective. If you help your team secure a win you are a far better player than the guy that just goes for kills on an area of the map that is no where near an objective. However if you have a high K.D. in TDM/FFA you are a very good player as this is the objective!

Hahahaa! Mate, saved me typing that

I nearly pissed laughing yesterday... me stood in front of the camper and you behind, then an enemy gets a triple spray! lmao!

Can't believe none of us added that Irish lad from a few weeks back. He was very good...

well i see what they are talking about being that they prob are solo players and you are in a clan or party

a solo player does try to win, but a good solo player needs to know when to go to plan B ( KD mode)

this for a solo player is just as good, if not better, and more satisfying to be on top of the leaderboard against a clan/party and or have a higher KD than the clan/party even thou they lost

clans get made at me because they try and look to noob smash, and then they come across me to ruin everything.. they try and rub the win in my face, but i just laugh and tell them thou i lost, i was still able to own their clan

That's the whole point... you haven't "owned" unless you won.

thats not true, you can lose and still destroy a clan... just because you lost doesnt mean doesnt mean YOU did poorly against the clan.. you destroyed them, but  you cannot beat a clan single handedly, you need good teammates to get the job done, so yes you can still own and lose

wins are not impressive or shows skill if the clan is noob lynching..

if a party/clan is good they will go up against other clan/party..

IMO a party/clan doesnt win if they are looking for noobs to pad W/L or KD regardless if the game says they won

crosby85

hmm, you lossing does kinda contradict owning the clan. Anyway I don't always play in a clan and still experience what I wrote above. Finally the clan I formed was not to pubstomp it was to unite players with the same mentality and therefore start working as a team to win games. You my friend need to find a clan that has the same mentality as you, that way it will improve your chances of winning your games!

owning people depends onw hat your trying to accomplish. everyone trys to win, but sometimes its not an option, and you cant win by yourself.. so if you say, well ill prob lose, might as well merk the clan .. then yes you did own the clan

ie. the movie sparta.. they were out numbered, they definitelly didnt have the advantage, but they owned the enemy army.. still resulting in a loss, but they owned them

fact.. if you have a decent party it is easier to win and do well.. it is used as a crutch.. real respect goes to the solo players that can do well against a clan, with 0 support

Gerbera

Yeah, it basically means that even if you lose, you showed the clan that you're still a force to be reckoned with, even on your own. Even though you know you'll lose, the fact that they had SO much trouble TOGETHER against 1 single individual player (while you racked up a number of kills against them, or got so many points against them in Domination, or whatever) shows how you "owned" them, even though you lost, lol.

Please watch some of the videos in this thread if you want to know why stats in this game have no value...

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200543449

Also, besides the "lag" (which is actually just bad software), the late join losses make the W/L stat worthless. I quit every game I don't like now.

FivE_Gladiator

No matter how much you try to convince people that K/D does not matter, Players will always think K/D ratio is the most important stat. W/L is nothing in this game. I keep on getting put into matches with the score 150-30 for the other team. Most players with a high SPM just camp beside the flag and get their scorestreaks. Since this game is all about the objective, players will run to the B flag but they will get picked off one by one by a killwhore. My K/D is 2.35, my W/L is 0.71( I play solo GW) and my SPM is 334. This game is not meant for rushing. I try playing the objective, but it just makes me rage and scream. Vonderhaar is retarded. The only reason I did not throw this game out my window yet is because of Zombies. W/L is nothing, SPM is nothing and K/D is nothing. I don't even feel like I am playing COD anymore. 3arc is worried about hacks and glitches and they don't give a **** about the community

sutakas

What is the purpose of this topic? You have rather low K/D, but you still feel you are a good player and everyone should know that?:)

IMO, good player has K/D at least over 2,0 and has high SPM as well. Most noobish excuse of having low k/d is ..... I play objective. Even playing objective it is rather easy to keep decent k/d.

gambit1969

The stats mean nothing in this game because they are to easy to manipulate, game not going your way, simple, dashboard, game never happened therefore stats not affected.

Kill whoring in objective modes is another way to tilt the stats in your favour by simply not playing the objective.

If you want to get an idea of whether a player is any good look at the total amount of games played and in what mode they played them in, then look at their total kills and deaths in each mode..

Its peoples obsession with stats and how they percieve them to be so important that has led to so much cheating and boosting in all the recent Call Of Duty titles..

That is a nonsense.
    Of course it is good to have a good K / D but just a little basic math to see that and nonsense.
    If I create a new account now, and kill 20 die scratch my K / D will be much better than someone who killed one million died
    200 000. What matters is the historical of player, not that damn K / D.

JamesDBRJ1987
    you'll notice that most people with a K/D of 2.0 or higher have a W/L of 0.5 or lower! and it makes me laugh when, at the end of the game, the people that lose and have 50-60 kills give it the big'un. my K/D is 1.18 and my W/L is 2.30.