24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 8:38 PM by ChestSplittah RSS

Go Back To Roots of MW2

scotland-rules

Many veterans of CoD will now be having a heart attack and possibly crapping themselves at the title. Well I would have said WAW but its a little outdated in terms of modern CoD and this kicked of the next 3 years of CoD so to speak so please read the entire thread. It will be a long thread but hear me out before you reply. I would like to see the new CoD go back to MW2 days.

After playing Black Ops 2 its safe to say the game really does suck. After all the hype it was major let down. They've done a lot of things right, don't get me wrong but they've done too much wrong that has effect the entire game. I'm not talk about lag or anything like that but more so the games design.

If we can cast our minds back to MW2 days we had stuff like noob tubes and stopping power, UMP45 akimbo models and all those good things lol (slight sarcasm). However it had so much going for it and it was safe to say. compared to MW3 and Black Ops 2 it was better by so much.

Let's start at the top, You got to play how you wanted to play!!!!!!!!

During my MW2 days, I played multiple roles, I had a class for sniping, rushing, stealth, mid to close range combat. I had classes for fun or classes for when I was serious. I used every single gun and got over half the attachments for each gun while going through the prestiges. I got to play the way I wanted to, I could be a rusher or camper, i could be a sniper or a guy who supports his team or one who leads it to the objective. Bottom line, you got to play fast or slow.

My next point ties into my above point. Map design, The maps were huge but they offered something for everyone, rushers could rush, snipers could snipe over long ranges with open sight lines and everyone could play how they wanted. You were not limited like you are in BO2 where every map is small or if its large its cluttered, its a game made for SMGs. I could list the maps here however 80% of them were big and this meant everyone could play how they wanted.

My next point, Shotguns|||| MW1, WAW BO1, MW3, BO2(kinda) shotguns have sucked as primaries. Having shotguns as secondary weapons suited how shotguns should be. To me and my vision shotguns have never been good as a class on its own, the maps simply don't allow it and in this game because are all so close quarter shotguns are better but still really bad and you are better using an SMG. Shotguns play the role of a secondary weapon really well because they are not great weapons to use in class as a primary. They are good for clearing out tight corners or corridors or small rooms but really they are not worth it in the long run as a primary. MW2 shotguns were only good if they had range/damage equipped and half the shotguns in BO2 are useless and the others are usable but still pretty poor.

My next point was all the guns were OP in many ways, therefore when majority of guns are OP, it means that the OP debate happens less often. Remember only one gun (model 1887) was patched in the name of being over powered, so something did work in that logic.

Giving a summary, the game meant you could play how you wanted in BO2 its very hard to play as a slow or tactical player and the game play is so fast, it gets boring after awhile I could name countless maps from BO1 and MW2 that were amazing space, when you have large maps it means everyone gets something, the rushers can rush, snipers can snipe and the players in between can do there own thing as well. Shotguns would be usable as secondarys, Camping would return but you need camping to balance the game.

I'd like to see the next CoD be something like MW2, just without the noob tubes and take away some of the technical and issues that were sometimes very annoying in MW2, have a mix of BO1 and MW2 and the next CoD would amazing. Please comment below on your thoughts of the thread and thanks for reading.

• Re: Go Back To Roots of MW2
    ots_dj3nvy

What they need to do is go back, see what worked and what didn't.

The main issues they should try looking into is the Matchmaking, Spawns, and Map designs for DLC.

Lets look at the connectivity in MW2. The game ran smooth and not many people complained about lag unless you really had a bad signal or it was on the host. Now, who knows what is going on. Since the release of Black Ops the connectivity issues have gotten worse and worse. I know the audience grew a lot but that's no excuse for them to be prepared, since CoD is a money grabber.

Map designs play a huge role in the game as you mentioned. You have your small maps, medium to large which was great and it allowed spawns to be pretty good (spawn trapping aside).

crosby85

If you want to play a game like MW2 why don't you just get MW2 out the box and put it in your PS3. You can play exactly how you want to play (lag permiting) on BLOPS 2! Shotguns work fine as a primary weapon, I know this as I often see people using a shotgun come at the top of the leaderboards and also have a friend who swears by them!

The one aspect that MW2 did excel was the connection, this is still the case as the lag compensation code was perfect. Now they have made changes to the coding it is incredibly inconsistant, one minute your king of the world and the next you look like an absolute noob!

You need to learn that in order to win a game (lag permiting again lol) you may need to adapt your playstyle, not because the weapon you are using is bad but because the guy on the opposite team that keeps owning you has a better setup for that map.

In conclusion this game has many many positive points and has the foundations to be the best COD game of the series yet its one major flaw (PS3 freezing aside) are the connection issues. If they could rectify this problem by utilising the coding for lag compensation from MW2 that would mean the game would perform as people want. This would then make more room for little gameplay tweeks that the game could do with, when I say little I mean little! The game is great the ability to play is is not!

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

because nobody is on the servers. i tried. the only game i could get into was a core TDM and only after waiting for 5mins or so.

i also tried Modern Warfare.. but the first lobby i got in was hacked and now my character is full prestige, lvl 55. retarded. i could not find a single legit game. these guys were the ONLY game i could get into. everyone was leveled up completly and playing with pistols. it was BS.

WAW sucks so i haven't tried. i keep meaning to see if MW3 is any better, but haven't had time.

Thembones

I would love to play a fair match but seeing how hacks are ks hacks are there why bother.

BanHaMMer

Actually COD4 would be much better all around

i felt that WaW was great gameplay, there was noticable differences between the guns, despite the lack of options, the maps were great too, and the same for MW1. my concern is that theyve been and done all the great map designs and now struggle for ideas, and i think they are trying too hard to get lots of perks/attachments/weapons etc, when i think back to basics would be quite appropriate. somewhere between the lack of options at the start, and too many options now

crosby85

There needs to be this amount of options though, not everyone likes to use the same equipment as others.... Its this customisation that made the game big in the first place. The perks, weapons, killstreaks/scorestreaks are all what brought in the cumstomers and it is what still brings them in! The only problem with this game is the latency, once (I mean if) that is rectified then the game will be brilliant until then we will continue to see constant complaint after complaint!

zvers

"Send in the Dogs!!!!!!"

I played that on PC. Man, those were fun times. Never tried it on PS3.

sstang1

MW2 was - still is - and probably will always be my favorite Call of Duty.

Give me the smooth lag free gameplay of MW2 with some new maps and I'd pay $99.99 for that.

P.S. - Keep your lag inducing Theatre Mode out of it.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

same here. i had the most fun playing that game out of all. that was WITH the wall hacks and elevators.

ChestSplittah

sstang1 wrote:

MW2 was - still is - and probably will always be my favorite Call of Duty.

Give me the smooth lag free gameplay of MW2 with some new maps and I'd pay $99.99 for that.

P.S. - Keep your lag inducing Theatre Mode out of it.

I believe I'll try and get me some games in this weekend in it. I still have all of them, but it was and for the most part still is guest functioning CoD.

Its a matter of opinion i happen to think COD4 is still the best, i only sold it because of the hacked lobbies . I feel mw2 had a lot of issues personally the guns were overpowered  but i dont think going back to the old ways is a good idea it was ruining all cods as they were repeating themselves. Blops 2 added the pick 10 system and gave people to change their class sets to how they want and actually changed era  and more which mw and infinity ward has failed to do. This is just my opinion i am not saying anyones wrong.

brewcastleunited

I'm prestige 5 now with all my custom class slots unlocked. Once I hit 55 I think I'm gonna stay - my main goal on every COD is always to unlock all custom class slots - once I do that I feel like I'm done - and if I come back to the game I have everything I want available.  I'm really thinking about going back to MW2 after I hit level 55 - Activision has now had 3 shots to top MW2 and has yet to do so. Besides, I feel like if I take a break from BOP's 2 maybe they'll have some time to fix some of the issues with it.....

RAMBONER

I have a question for all of you cod vets.  I started on bops 1 so guess I am somewhere around a Lt. not a General.  haa..

On MW2 was there as many kids playing the game?  I ask because the hype of the game seems to have driven the fan base age down to even elementary school kids.  Was that the case 4 titles ago?

Why would that matter for connctivity?  Well simple answere is little billy and his party of 6 junior high kids all most likely play upstairs in their room while the modem is down in dad and moms office and he is playing wireless while dad is looking at youtube vids of guys smashing their balls, mom is on her laptop shopping  on QVC and his sister is researching circumcision on girls in Africa for a paper she is writing.  All of that is going on while "Billy" is playing Bops 2 a story away from the modem.  Mom and dad arent going to let their kid have the modem in their room and the kids probably see no reason to do so anyway.

and its not just Billy but his other 5 schoolmates in his party all have similar scenerios going on.

Say 25% of the base is youngsters.  That means on an average night at minimum of 100,000 to sometimes near 200,000 players online are most likely wireless and not even close to their modem and they are running on bogged down internet causing a major clusterfk for everyone including the devs.  That doesnt even consider the other most likely large percentage of adults who play wireless and have no clue that it is causing stress to everyones connection.  Most do not frequent these forums and realise how important it is to have a good set up.  ie: hardwired, ports open, not having 8 wireless things connected to your network while you play etc.

I just wonder if the lag issues happening now that didnt before are being caused by more younger players who do not have control of the way they are set up.  By no fault of their own they are slowing everything down. 

ChestSplittah

The playerbase seems to have doubled since MW2. There were kids/teens playing then, but nowhere like it was with Black Ops firing up. The whole RCXD bs imo is to blame. Plus, kids and teens only want to be a part of what is trending. As we know, CoD is one of the biggest trends out there. You incorporate Youtube, theater into game..it makes for a plague of poopers. CoD in reality is dying a slow death because of the crowd that overran it in Black Ops. Not everyone, but the majority. They have optimized the system to accommodate kids possible quality of service. Which is normally, low bandwidth, wireless, used by multiple users, high ping due to multiple users. It's sad...sad...sad..

RAMBONER

So do you think it is even possible (given my scenerio) for the devs to ever get anywhere near MW2 connection?  I mean it seems impossible if that is truely what caused the problem.  The amount of latency caused by that many people running that way would be impossible to adjust for.

ChestSplittah

Not for a competent programmer a head of studio. I say this because it took from CoD4, W@W to get to MW2's clarity. We could go back as far as Finest Hour, B.R.O. Though, this so called fairness act is trash. They should be matchmaking the way they are now and making compensation adjustments (which are need) tighter. Not giving the big cushion that they do now because someone has a poor quality of service.

lifeson90

couldnt agree more with your excellent post, gimme another mw2 anyday what a great multiplayer of real strategy, like you say this blops2 got a few things right but overall it comes down to game/map design...... i kinda enjoy running around in a blops2 shoot fest sometimes but you cant settle down hardly anywhere in any map, its more like an arcade 'video game' whereas in mw2 cod4 and blops1 you always felt as if in a virtually real scenario of stealth warfare

they tried to do it right with mw3 i'll give em credit for that but, this blops2 is a whole new thing and i'm not sure it rates anywhere near the high quality of mw2 etc

Don't the roots work else where now.

BukLau101

One word... Respawn

RAMBONER

@splitta...

Dude I coundnt agree with you more on the "cushon".  I do however think the only possible way to fix it would be to have a "Ping" requirement to play in certain lobbys.  I am not a computer guy so any of you feel free to correct me but if a speed test was required......OK back up....you do a ping test when you log in and that puts you in a certain category of lobby you can join.

So everone in the US pings to a certain few selected spots and if your ping is less then a certain amount you get put in lobby A...ping of a higher number and your only availability is lobby B....etc.  If you choose to bypass the ping test so you can be in a party or whatever the reason you go to lobby C.  That way you will always be in lobbys with the similar ping quality.

Example:  I have jumped in with my buddy Whytie84's private matches quite a few times with all his "mates" and there is 0 lag for me.  That is a big deal because he and his buddies are in Scotland and Europe and I am in Colorado, USA.  How is it that I can join his private lobby where they are all an ocean away and experience no lag and on the other token do a match search and be in a lobby with all people from my state and be laggy?

Well those all have the most optimum connection possible for their scenerio.  They do everything posible to make sure its as good as it can reguardless of speed.  So 12 guys with good internet....even though an ocean away will have a better experience then 12 guys 100 miles apart with bogged down, wireless connections that are running 6 devices at once.

Answere to the OP....its impossible to get back to MW2 until COD loses a lot of popularity.  The code didnt take into account all of the possibilities for each households connection quality.  Even Ping changes if someone running wireless has 4 family members jump online while they are playing the game.  Which in turn changes everyone in the lobbys connection to that person...... never ending Snowball effect......

ChestSplittah

This is where I believe they chose the route to just get people playing compensate at a level to even everyone out as best they can. It's not working and IS very noticeable. Where I believe with MW2, they took the direction you somewhat allude to. You "see" the host at <60ms and virtually so does everyone else in the lobby or close to it. Then the compensation may be there to a certain level for everyone so as everyone can "see" each other as close to real time as possible.