40 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 9:24 AM by Griefbot RSS

The internet changes........

biron_w

Anybody remember that narky comment that Vahn made when people were complaining about lag in this game?

Well,I went back to MW2 yesterday. Despite the fact that "the internet changes" that game still plays perfectly fine.

So if a 3 year old game can play fine then why can't this game?

• Re: The internet changes........

I think theatre may have something to do with connectivity. All was fine until BO1, when theatre was introduced.

I am really starting to dislike the guy... not that it makes one little bit of a difference to him, but when you start talking like that and making out like suddenly we "the people who are buying your game and paying your bill" are fools then ya, that does not go down well with me anyway.

sgtDLC

It's not internet, or the host, it's players camera that making problems. Look at other posts here

IllusionGames

I can put in any other game and it plays just fine, lag? absolutely, indeed, it happens,nothing like this, we have gotten to the point in the COD series that people spend more time making videos, complaining, researching, then they do playing the game itself, all for good reason, we love the game, see the potential in it as being absolutely one of the most enjoyable games to date.

I am confused how Treyarch, Activision miss the enormous amount of negative feedback on the game, they are ( I have no proof ) though it seems like it #1 on youtube for negative game play, #1 on twitter, #1 on the forums, #1 on every other game forum, #1 on reviews by customers on the game #1 any where you look for research on black ops 2.

Is this how COD used to be be? Not at all, everywhere you looked, any gamer you spoke to, screamed "blood thristy COD is the best ever!!" You could not escape the high praise and reviews of the game, if you shared your negative opinon of the game you were called a NOOB and told to learn how to play and people moved on.

-- Complainers were the minority & Braggers, Praisers, Promotors, Cheerleaders, Fans were the majority.

This is not the case today, it started at Black Ops1  and is even stronger today.

The only thing cheering today is the marketing team and a few people who are unaffected holding up the signs for them.

Bielsalmighty

Maybe a 3 year old game plays well because they've had 3 years to get it running correctly, and there is a lot less stress on the servers. Ever think of that?

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot less bad lobbies of late.

maccabi

biron_w wrote:

Anybody remember that narky comment that Vahn made when people were complaining about lag in this game?

Well,I went back to MW2 yesterday. Despite the fact that "the internet changes" that game still plays perfectly fine.

So if a 3 year old game can play fine then why can't this game?

Im assuming when you went back to mw2 you has exactly the same players in the game as you had in blops2 right? and the same host and played at the same time of day ..

if any of the answers to the above or no then sorry you're comparing apples to fruit cake

gary_mico

Are you saying that if everyone went back to playing MW2, we would be having the same problems we're having now?

NotablePie

i'm pretty sure that like 50% atleast of the players i played against on mw2/BO/mw3 i will be matched up against them on BO2 also most likely (on a regular base i even recognise GT's i played before)

so yh, why did those games ran so much smoother as bo2 is currently doing ?

or magicly in the past 3 years all those players downgraded their net instead of upgraded like most people do ?

it are all cod's, so he's comparing apple's to apple's

if he compared cod to battlefield he would be comparing apple's with fruitcakes yh

and no i won't say those games ran perfect all the time, not even mw2 or cod4, but there if you lagged you'd know

here you aren't sure/can't be sure till 5 deaths later where you never saw it coming you'd be dropped after putting 3/4hitmarkers on a guy and never even see your screen turn red

Bielsalmighty

All CoDs have lagged like hell on release. All have wound up playing just fine. BO2 will be no different.

I hope you are right.

Bielsalmighty

If MW3 wound up playing ok for you then you should be fine. I remember the outcry about how bad that game was on release. I got it around christmas and failed to see what all the fuss was about, it didn't seem that bad to me. Right now, BO2 plays as well for me as MW3 did around the same time. Therefore I feel quite confident that the timeframe for BO2 being sorted is the same as MW3s.

If MW3 stayed bad for you, well... =/

NotablePie

Bielsalmighty wrote:

If MW3 wound up playing ok for you then you should be fine. I remember the outcry about how bad that game was on release. I got it around christmas and failed to see what all the fuss was about, it didn't seem that bad to me. Right now, BO2 plays as well for me as MW3 did around the same time. Therefore I feel quite confident that the timeframe for BO2 being sorted is the same as MW3s.

If MW3 stayed bad for you, well... =/

lol mw3 never really got fixed for some, and alot of the guys with high end connections on here that alsways been playing devils advocate even been moaning about it most of it's 1st year lifespan

yh for me it got better

and yh every cod ran smoother eventually, but this one is a true exception so far for me, worst games ever

and not likely it's my connection as i can ping 2 country's further withing 25MS and the games (all cods so far) just LOVE making me host, and since the hotfix of yesterday the game been a living hell connection wise

BO 1 month, 1 month, connection was fixed for me, and no matter what they did after that i always felt like that game would atleast run somewhat decent, even loved to host on there, here host = unavoidable death sentence 9 out of 10x

and yh games run fine for you

yet the dev's themself were blaiming lag on their livestream

ever considered you could be having a lagvantage ?

Well Vahn came out and said provide proof, plenty of proof has been provided.  And  nothing, not a peep, oh but buy our new DLC we need more money!!

Bielsalmighty

So, just because they haven't said anything means they aren't working on the proof that was provided? Unless you have inside access to Treyarchs studios, then you are merely making assumptions.

Heres the thing: I dont doubt they are aware of any issues, but IMO knowing what big companies, corporations and their cash cow brands can be like, I dont doubt that devs are gagged from acknowledging any inherent faults with a game (barring glitches as, well, you'll never catch ALL of them) due to boardroom fears of brand damage.

EDIT: and before I get 'well why isn't it fixed then?' Rome wasn't built in a day. However I personally have noticed a REAL improvement in the lobbies matchmaking is throwing me into.

I think the devs themselves said it's the same netcode that was used in past cods

kidmiestro

I don't think he is comparing apples to fruitcakes.

I have played this franchise since the beginning and never, I repeat never, have I had the sheer amount of issues with game connection as I do with this inexcusable piece of....

It seems that you have nothing but good things to say about this game and it truly mistifies me. No matter what people say you seem to always have a rebuttal. Do you not get tired of having to shoulder the weight of the problems of this game?

When this game first came out it was playable, not phenomenal, but playable. After 3 months of tampering with whatever the game is excrutiatingly hard to have fun. Every single lobby now has at least half, if not more, with 1-2 bar peeps. Which in turn, makes then game run so piss poor its no longer fun.

Now don't call me out about playtime or when I played it last.... I try to play an hour a night and pray to whomever before I load the game up it will be a good connection night.........my hopes and prayers are utterly dashed every night.

Know whats funny?  Not one time in COD4, WAW, or even MW2 did I have to hope for a non crap connection game.  This game, its a hourly occurrence.

So, master of all rebuttals, please enlighten me/us as to how I'm mistaken and this game doesn't have issues.

biron_w

No i'm not.

I'm playing a 3 year old game with a much, MUCH, smaller pool of players. Less players means less people to play with,less people to pick as host. Yet I can get into games with infintely less BS than this game.

I should also point out that the internet i'm using now is actually not as good as it was when I was playing MW2 when it came out. And it still plays fine.

i'm not saying MW2 was perfect - or is perfect now even(I got into a stupidly laggy lobby last night) - but I had a lot more fun playing it than this game.

I even played this game afterwards and regretted it after 10 minutes.

obzi

Maccabi, will we still be in the same situation with the new xbox coming out later this year?

With it's better spec and new COD games to fit that spec, etc, will some of us still be here struggling with lag because of the wide range of connection speeds and quality?

Will it help in any way or could it even be worse?

maccabi

obzi wrote:

Maccabi, will we still be in the same situation with the new xbox coming out later this year?

With it's better spec and new COD games to fit that spec, etc, will some of us still be here struggling with lag because of the wide range of connection speeds and quality?

Will it help in any way or could it even be worse?

Sorry predicting the future is one of the skills I havent mastered yet.

but i think its safe to say that regardless of the nxtgen specs and games people will still be on here complaining mw4 or bo3 lags. as end of the day the weakest part of any online game is the users own connection to the host/server

NotablePie

why would a new xbox help ?

unless it's FPS lag we all are experiencing cause the 360's hardware just can't handle it anymore

doubt a new networkadapter in them will make that much of a difference (as we have plenty of games that run fine like halo/bf), specially if you're wired

and if you're through wi-fi, well that always be less stable so yh you still could have the same problems

Unless there is a new engine the same problem will exist because the people who wrote the engine are no longer developing the game.

The guys who developed the engine and CoD4 are now at a company called Respawn.

To the OP:

Yes, they do not wish to acknowledge any comments about the performance of COD4, MW2, or even MW3 in it's current state because it does not fit into their explanation of the problem.

You can't not compare MW2 to another CoD game for lag. Yes it was the best but there is one major differents btw the MW2 and the rest.

MW2 was made on a different engine then the rest. After MW2 the rest of the games went back to COD engine which the lag wasn't perfect either. Why you may ask did they do that?

Because after MW2 the oringal infinity ward creators left because of activation and when thu did they sued for the rights for that engine and won so they took it. But why don't they remake the engine? You may also ask. Because of the law suit and money, activation would be sued agian for stealing which was no longer theirs and its cheaper to keep the old engine with tweaks. They reached the max of what they could do with it and its showing. I suspect when the new consoles come cod would be a launch game and with a new engine.

maccabi

FathertimeXX wrote:

You can't not compare MW2 to another CoD game for lag. Yes it was the best but there is one major differents btw the MW2 and the rest.

MW2 was made on a different engine then the rest. After MW2 the rest of the games went back to COD engine which the lag wasn't perfect either. Why you may ask did they do that?

Because after MW2 the oringal infinity ward creators left because of activation and when thu did they sued for the rights for that engine and won so they took it. But why don't they remake the engine? You may also ask. Because of the law suit and money, activation would be sued agian for stealing which was no longer theirs and its cheaper to keep the old engine with tweaks. They reached the max of what they could do with it and its showing. I suspect when the new consoles come cod would be a launch game and with a new engine.

ya know nothing you wrote was actually correct apart from the you cant compare other games bit

Could i suggest before writing something you actually check stuff,

Dyn4mics

FathertimeXX wrote:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/IW_engine

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/10/treyarch-defends-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-engine /

http://kotaku.com/5962476/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-gpu--cpu-performance

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/10/treyarch-defends-black-ops-ageing-engine

Take your pick. The games are based off the IW engine.

BOOMHAUER112377

Maybe a 3 year old game plays well because they've had 3 years to get it running correctly, and there is a lot less stress on the servers. Ever think of that?

They have not been working on MW2 at all since the two founders of Infinity Ward left. Here's a thought: do you think it is a coincidence that this game has gone downhill since they were fired? I don't. They made this game and it appears to me that all Activision has succeed in is making it worse with every release.

CowboySr

Cause theres more than 250 people playing it