43 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 2:50 PM by xour RSS

Hardcore is for More Skilled players apparently?

Quasifrodo1

Ok so not a massive rant but the amount of hate messages I've been sent over the past couple of days while playing hardcore has really made me giggle but also left me scratching my head.

I normally play core but on a diamond quest for shotties and Snipers, I'm ok with shotties but 1 hit kills with the M1216 are nigh on impossible in core and not the worlds greatest sniper so the SVU has to be done in Hardcore.

Now first off I was expecting the campiest games in the world with the scroe limit rarely being reached. I was surprised not as campy as I thought, slower than core? Certainly, but complete campfest No.

What I cant get my head around is the more skill bit. Every gun is the same, near enough 1 bullet kill, so the only advantages are rate of fire and clip size. I was expecting lots of pistols, FAL's, SMR's etc the guns that take a bit of aiming but all I seem to be coming up against are PDW's and MSMC's. Is that really what hardcore is or have I been unlucky in the last 2 days?

Using these guns in core takes very little skill yet in hardcore I'd say none at all

• Re: Hardcore is for More Skilled players apparently?
    mark1988

Some days wile playing core its like playing paintball or I shoot them first and sure it was more than one bullet and yes I get rejected and shot down. Wile playing hardcore I can use certain guns to unlock camos, hardcore has been really helpfull with some of these weapon unlocks.

McZOMBI

To be honest I always considered Hardcore to be for people who couldn't handle the pace of core. The mode is designed to slow play down which doesn't make sense to me in a game where your character model is a chimp on rollerskates.

Quasifrodo1

I thought that as well initially but people seem to run around a fair bit still. It is slower but no where near as slow and campy as i'd thought it would be

McZOMBI

It's less campy in BO2 from the few games I've played but I never play it for long. I'm guessing the regular HC players must be get annoyed with all the diamond camo hunters like the OP. There must be games where half your team is running around with Executioners and the semi-auto snipers.

Quasifrodo1

Never really looked at it from that point of view, but it is a fair point. Although we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage against the regular hardcore players using the full autos. A good point though

maccabi

Quasifrodo1 wrote:

Never really looked at it from that point of view, but it is a fair point. Although we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage against the regular hardcore players using the full autos. A good point though

people who tend to spray and pray smgs are usualy the ones who get booted pretty quick, as for smgs rule..erm nope dont agree. burst fire weapons rule in hc imo.

i've lost count the number of gun fights ive won against smgs users while using a burst fire, the smr especially. although its a freaking pain to level for camos in hc it kills in one hit

maccabi

McZOMBI wrote:

To be honest I always considered Hardcore to be for people who couldn't handle the pace of core. The mode is designed to slow play down which doesn't make sense to me in a game where your character model is a chimp on rollerskates.

I find the opposite for me hc is alot more fast paced than core. core drives me mad,

Bielsalmighty

I've seen some great players in HC. I've also seen some stunningly bad ones. I think the lack of mini-map and lower health rewards those with good map knowledge and smart play. Also, cant speak for HCTDM but HCKC is played at a good pace

DR65DR

In Core, you can run around like a headless chicken, take hits and then hide while your health 'regenerates'. In HC, if you do that, you're instantly dead.

In my opinion, HC requires a certain amount of strategy, which is why it's slower-paced than Core. The techniques that work in Core, like tearing around a corner in Raid and spraying everyone, just won't work in HC, because one hit and you're dead.

I believe in HC you run with 30% health compared with Core.

Two totally different game types for two totally different kinds of players. Neither one is better or worse, but people seem determined to create some kind of pointless argument about it, as though it mattered.

Ss78_

In essence you answered your own question. When every gun is lethal and can kill easily then to make sure you don't get killed you need to be aware if this and use skill to avoid being killed. It's obviously not as simple as that though as every gun has it's positives and negatives for different scenarios.

No killcams is a serious plus as well as the limited hud. Just don't sit in a corner when using a dragonfire etc. as sure as fate a teammate will kill you because they think you're camping.

Film_Not_Rated

Yups, more skilled campers. (Flame on.)

It has every right to have campers, as you do need to know how to move around the map without dying, but htis does not mean sit in every building you find.

HC IMO was probably the best back in Blops1 and titles before that...I tried playing it multiple times in this game with a Sniper (Which you're suppose to be campish with.) and I got bored, I literally wanted to take a nap and then when I moved one inch I got killed by someone else in a corner.

I wouldn't call it more skilled for this matter.

How ever, in other titles (Like BFBC2.) I would indeed say it's more skilled.

Just not in CoD.

MrCoates28210

I've been using all the hardcore modes to get my gold assault shield. From what I've seen HC definitely does NOT take more skill than any other game mode. The general style of play I saw was fire before turning a corner on TDM, spawn camp in CTF & KC wasn't too bad really, just more general camping.

With the increased bullet damage and low health the only thing you really need is PDW/Mtar & a spy plane

trialstardragon

HC does not take any more skill than Core, it only takes a slightly different skill set, not a higher level of skill and never has. Anyone that ever claims that HC is better is just a person that cannot handle core and the fact it takes longer to get a kill so they have to be able to aim better and hold that aim for longer times. The lack of a hud does not make it harder, the lower life does not make it harder at all.

xmrythem

don't be scared of HC.

The majority of the time I play Core because I am average skilled at best, so being able to sponge a bit of damage and then regenerate my health is desirable to me.

Having said that, In Hardcore there are several things missing that are abundant in Core.

here are a few,

1 Gamertags full of XxXs and zZZzs.

2 Kidscopers and Trickshooters.

3 Trolls.

4 n00bs.

5 Headless Chickens.

6 Shotguns

7 Blindfire Heroes.

8 Random frags, semtex, C4 deaths.

9 SMGs

10 Penis and Swastika emblems.

Make of that what you will, but in my humble opinion, I would say there are less children and more mature players per capita in the Hardcore lists.

Personally I find that a bonus.

Despite the name if you been a long COD veteran Hardcore is actually the noob mod as per reputation. In most competitive video games the mod that reduce its stategy or makes it easier to get kills is usually known like this.

Hardcore is to be taken like a secondary game mode, like instagib in quake or unreal tournament. They are noob friendly mods compared to the classic game, because its easy to get frags, there is no map control and its pretty much just point and click with onegun. Hardcore is simular to that it strips the game and make it easier to follow.

Core have those headless chicken running around, these newbs are the easy kills in core. The same players are the one standing in corners and getting destroyed in hardcore. They just run around in core because they can and its the only way they get some kills. They sit in corner in hardcore because its how to get easy kills.

Doesent matter i still call swarm a bunch of times in hardcore, just sit in a good spot with m27 (its actually good in hardcore)

If you want a skilled playlist, barebone would be it, but we all know where barebone is now.

Started playing HC when I started my road to diamond AR's quest... Honestly I've found half the people on there are playing HC for camo challenges. Even saw 4 different boosters boosting for headshots yesterday. Probably why you see the wide variety of guns, and people not really camping.

MrJDubbs11

I don't know what HC modes you are playing but unless evey shot you take is a headshot 1 bullet does not kill in HC.  At certain distances (very close) and certain places (head) its a 1 shot kill but It normally is a 3-4 round kill with an LMG, 2-3 with and SMG or 1-2 with an AR. 

I would not consider HC campy at all. I would actually consider it less campy than the core TDM games I have played.  I would also consider the pace to be quite fast but that could be because we are always matched against pretty good players.   I don't play HC  TDM which I am sure is way more campy but in KC or CTF most people move around. 

You will always have people in certain areas on CTF but that is the nature of the gametype, if you played Core CTF people would be in the exact same spots.  You are going to have people rushing, defending and people hanging out in the middle supporting. 

The reason you see a lot of SMG's in HC is the same reason you see a ton of SMGs in core.  There is no downside to using an SMG.  This is mostly a function of the poor map design.  People don't engage in combat in this game over medium to far distances.  Everything is medium to short range which means you can still be accurate enough over longer range battles and have all the advantages of using a weapon that allows you to aim, move and fire faster with very large magazine sizes. 

If people were forced into more open areas where they had to fight over a distance you would see them switch to more accurate weapons.  The maps are designed for SMGs and thus people are using them.  Core or HC it does not matter. 

smokesdope

If you mean "skill" as in camping your butt off then yes HC player have more "skill"

I wouldnt say more skilled.  Skill is map knowledge, loadouts, and reaction time.

You can have map knowledge in any mode, loadouts are less important because you can kill people in one shot with most weapons, and reaction time is sort of out of the window in BO2 because it's just chance if the player is actually where he is on your screen.

I like HC a lot, and maybe more of the serious players play it but I wouldn't say it requires more skill.

mr742

HC objective games are just spam camp fest... EVERY game I got into last night had teams of people spawn camping to the point that I was part of a triple claymore kill, WHEN I SPAWNED, not one step.

Then to hear these kids talk as if theyre some sort of beast and wrecked me somehow only to get their A88es handed to them when half their team left

to get back on topic.

I 'believe' HC does take more skill because you only get one chance, if you miss, chances are youre dead. There is a fair share of headshot hit markers that piss me off but for the most part its one shot kills.

Message was edited by: mr742 to add content

Necrodox

I'm sorry to say but anyone who feels that "hardcore" takes "more" skill than core is a little delusional. More bullets required to kill a target requires a better shot not the other way around.

A valid statement would be "hardcore" takes a different type of skill.

You've summed it up perfectly. It's a different skill.

You could argue that you need quicker reactions in 1 on 1 gun fights in order to register the 1st shot in HC - to counter that you could say you require a more steady aim to ensure you land all your shots to get the kill in Core.

It's down to preference at the end of the day. Personally I had previously always played core on CoD, until now... I've just switched to HC on BO2, thats down to personal taste as for me the time to kill feels a little too high compared to other CoD games. Whether I play core or hardcore doesnt affect my W/L or K/D ratio - just at the minute I prefer HC.