1 2 3 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 4:33 AM by gambit1969 RSS

You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD

RAMBONER

There is thread after thread about how this game is "garbage" and doesnt work and the "I will never buy another COD again" etc..... I have my share of nights where I "shoot marshmellows" and cant do anything but it got me thinking....its a video game.......how much do you really expect out of $60?  I mean its a form of entertainment nothing more. 

Other "entertainment"

--Take my wife to dinner and a movie, Cost $60-100--time spent doing activity 3-4 hours + 1 hour when I get home

--Go out with the fellas to play some pool.  Cost $30-60--Time spent doing activity 3-4 hours + 2 days in the dog house when I get home.

--Elk hunting.  Cost $300-600.  Time spent doing activity 4 days.  (money well spent especially if i fill my freezer)

--Taking my wife and kids swimming at the Y.  Cost $40.  Time spent doing activity 2-3 hours. 

--Super bowl party at my house.  Cost $100.  Time spent doing activity 6 hours

--Playing COD.  Cost $69.  Time spent doing activity.  200+ hours to date  (play every night after family goes to sleep and at firehouse after work hours)

I am in my mid 30s and clearly remember when I was a kid mowing lawn after lawn after lawn and shovelling snow off of sidewalks so I could save up the $50 to buy that  NES game my buddy had.  That was 20+ years ago and games were 45-55 bucks (good ones) and I would usually play them for a week, beat them, and never play them again or trade them with my buddies for games that I didnt have.  The cost of video games, relatively speaking has not gone up much.  Cost per minute of enjoyment was pretty dam high and I can remember dying and smashing my controller against the wall, or my dad making me go to bed which meant tomorrow I get to start it all over again...........  it wasnt all all roses all of the time...... the stress was there it was just in a different form then it is now.

All of that to by a video game, most of which didnt even have a 2 player option let alone playing with hundreds of thousands of people.

What would you have given back then to have just the offline version of this game? 

I get just as frustrated as anyone....I get so furious when I shoot marshmellows or skip accross the screen or feel like I am a second behind eveyone and nothings fair...... but then I put it into perspective.  Its a game and the amount of entertainment I get out of it compared to games of almost the same price 20 years ago is pretty good bang for its buck. 

• 1. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD

RAMBONER wrote:

I am in my mid 30s and clearly remember when I was a kid mowing lawn after lawn after lawn and shovelling snow off of sidewalks so I could save up the $50 to buy that  NES game my buddy had.  That was 20+ years ago and games were 45-55 bucks (good ones) and I would usually play them for a week, beat them, and never play them again or trade them with my buddies for games that I didnt have.  The cost of video games, relatively speaking has not gone up much.  Cost per minute of enjoyment was pretty dam high and I can remember dying and smashing my controller against the wall, or my dad making me go to bed which meant tomorrow I get to start it all over again...........  it wasnt all all roses all of the time...... the stress was there it was just in a different form then it is now.

I got you beat: 

In the early days of the internet, in a town called Las Vegas, there existed an establishment called Virtual World.  There, you could spend something like $15 for a 10-minute LAN-based gaming session, playing MechWarrior against friends and strangers in your very own, totally immersive cockpit, all located in a warehouse-looking back section of the building.  You had your choice of various pre-configured Mechs to do battle in virtual arenas not too far removed from the original Tron.  As you built up more missions you could gradually up your difficulty by enabling more controls in your cockpit and forcing yourself to compensate for the heat build-up when you fired your weapons.  Also, every 20th mission was free, and after 25 you got a genuine MechWarrior pin.

Me & my buddies used to go to Vegas every month, and that was always our first stop in town.  Between the games and a few (non-alcoholic) drinks in the lounge that was good for around $100 each, over the course of maybe 2 hours.  The game itself was light years ahead of anything else you could play at the time, but is now outdone by the free game apps on your cell phone.  Still, tons of fun & a great way to earn bragging rights for the rest of the month.

Anyway, I agree with what you're saying, but with a sizeable caveat: remember that when we were 14, we would have told ourselves to f*** off if we started talking like that.   Instant gratification & all that.  I've never for a second felt that I wasted my $60 on this game, but at this point I feel like the $60 I spent years ago on Civ IV was money much better spent.

• 2. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD
    gambit1969

Good post.......but 100 bucks for dinner with the wife..cheap s.o.b......

• 3. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD

NOPE, not getting my moneys worth they keep nerfing the weapons that they put into this game.

• 4. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD
    RAMBONER

LOL...well married with kids and have wayyyyyy to much **** that breaks me every month haaa...so that dinner is only for anniversaries and birthdays even.  Gotta keep our extra money so daddy can buy sanity juice aka beer haaa....

Oh theres another one to add to the list.....beer and copenhagen cost per month-- $200

• 5. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD
    Izjar11

Fantastic post, will be lost in translation to those who have no idea what money or time is really worth.

Nice post again Ramboner...

• 6. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD
    gambit1969

Wait until you get to my age, had to cut back on the beer, hangovers were getting worse and to many calories, switched to vodka instead, no calories in that and it does not give me a hangover

• 7. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD

You only get hangovers if you stop drinking.

• 9. Re: You guys 30 and up.....getting your moneys worth by buying COD
    gambit1969

True, but i have to sober up long enough to drive to the store to get more vodka...

1 2 3 Previous Next