26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:07 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Difference between a good player and a PRO.

iKon

I've often wondered why some players make it to the pro level and why some players with great accuracy and gun skill never make it to that elite level and what the differences are. Through my gamebattles experience and watching live streams from pro tournaments I've determined its the extremely little things that make the biggest differences such as strategies, map control, and maneuverability. It is because of this that I made this PRO tip series that offers small but extremely effective things that can take you to the next level. Check it out if you want, and if not then thanks for reading. I promise these will make you better players if that's what youre striving for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaGjHyHJMG8

• Re: Difference between a good player and a PRO.
    deamonomic

To be honest, I already Know how to reach the next level. Thing is finding people who are willing to stick through the rough times of your team learning to work together effectively.

iKon

This is actually a really strong point. To be honest a friend of mine and myself have been gaming together for years with +2.5 KDs and +8.0 WLs but it's almost been impossible to find those other teammates. It's definitely hard to mesh and break the barrier.

deamonomic

iKon wrote:

This is actually a really strong point. To be honest a friend of mine and myself have been gaming together for years with +2.5 KDs and +8.0 WLs but it's almost been impossible to find those other teammates. It's definitely hard to mesh and break the barrier.

I have been apart of Many GB teams going all the way back to CoD 3 days. One of the main things that screws new teams over is entering GB's like they are Pubs. They think that because they stomp everyone in pubs that they should do well here.

They then go to GB and get a rude awakening. For example: back in WaW Me and some friends loved playing CTF. We never lost in pubs when we played together. never. We make a team on GB and get thrashed so hard that the others lose the heart to fight after just a few games.

that team could have been a force to be reckoned with but instead it fell apart.

iivrruummii

I have a ~2.3 K/D and ~7.5 W/L.  It is all about teamwork.

Youtube channel looks sick! That pro tip video had some good pointers. Biggest difference between pro and amature. Is your consistancy. How good are you on a regular basis. Some people have great games here and there, but is every single game great?

iKon

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate them. In terms of games being great, it all depends on how you define great. I first and foremost ALWAYS try to win. Winning over everything without a doubt. But usually when we are running a full crew the games are pretty awesome. I had back to back games just last night of 103-0 and 115-3. Hopefully I answered your questions!

One difference between the good players and the pros is how much they care which one they are. If you're someone who always wants to play like money's on the line where you win constantly, always have top stats, etc, you'll take the extra time to think about things like strategy and map layout and you'll be much more focused. Not everyone strives for that.

I had a buddy who was all about being pro. Watched tips, hints, and tricks videos, read tutorials, took it all really seriously, got crazy stats each match. I played middle of the road. One day he mentioned that I wasn't a good player. I corrected him and said that I was just as good as he was, I just didn't care as much as he did lol

He asked me to prove it so I "applied" myself to make a point and we ended up neck and neck for the rest of the night. When he asked why I don't play like that all the time instead of letting people think I'm $hitty, all I could say was, "Cuz it's not important to me".

I used to do the clan thing and join ladders and leagues but these days, I'm just sitting down for a bit of fun after work and some social time with my friends so I don't give a rat's booty if I go 30/1 or 5/15. I also don't care how crappy my stats are now because of it lol But that's the main reason I wouldn't call myself a pro anymore. Not because I don't have pro skill but because I don't have pro dedication.

SoG_Hanix_PC

I would have to agree, it is more about team work and strategy. You see these pro gamers and game battle teams in Friday Night Fights and all that, and what sets them apart is the strategy, working together, and sticking to the plan despite all odds. The Great Teams and Players stick to the plan and can manage come backs, where as the Good Teams and Players might fall apart and try to improvise and make things happen. Pro Teams make things happen through team work, not solo play, and that is the difference.

iKon

Working together and devloping strategies is absolutely the most crucial and critical thing when taking call of duty in the esports world to the next live. I think you hit it on the head. There have been numerous times where I've started or been a part of a great GB team, but we were always that one person away from really making a name for ourselves. While gun skill and accuracy and class set up knowledge is extremely important, it's the dedication to develop strategies for every map and game type that set people apart. Love the response man.

greencoffin72

Why would you want to turn pro in video gaming anyways?  What a wasted existence.

Spend your whole life in front of a TV to get $2,500 rarely, if you're lucky, and be worshipped by pimple-faced dweebs.

iivrruummii

It is for the prestige.  If you are earning $2500, then you aren't at the top.  I made $1000 at local tournaments, and I didn't have that much competition.  Now if I went to a $25k tournament then the stakes would be higher and competition would be harder.

If a team is considered the "best" then they would be making upwards of $100k+ a year.  Not that bad for just being the best at a video game.

Film_Not_Rated

There are no "Pro's" in Call of Duty, sorry.

There can be players who take it more seriously, but you can't be pro at a game like this...Just better than others if you take it seriously as I said.

nicedrewishfela

Pros are arrogant enough to call themselves "Pro".

The rest of us do the best we can and just have fun doing it.

trialstardragon

You are correct, this is no big secret. The only real difference is game tactics. The Pro's as some call them just work well together as a team. Each player has a part in the team and that is how they play. One is the slayer, the other a defender, another a harasser and so forth. On different maps they have their locations on where they stay or patrol around.

This is also why the Pro's do not like certain things like grenade launchers, or betties; because it can disrupt their map control and tactics easily and throw their game off. Which is why mlg does not allow the grenade launcher.

As for me I will never be a Pro, because I am not compettive, the win does not mean all to me. It is just the fun of playing the game itself that matters more to me, not some stat.

Pros get paid

Also, playing in a group so that your team gets host.

jwaller123

To me some "Pros" aren't even Pros. They say they are part of MLG, but yet from my understanding, most MLG games outlaw certian perks, attachments, etc... If they are so "Pro" then they should be able to beat anyone using anything. Not even sure if MLG and Pros are even the same thing...but that's my two cents anyway.

iivrruummii

Yes MLG bans certain perks, attachments, etc. to make the game as balanced as possible, and to increase the skill gap.

iKon

Wow. A ton of awesome points being made here, however I have to say that if most people on these forums could turn pro, or make a living off of playing call of duty, I'd have to say that most probably would. As for myself, I am a teacher, and extremely competitive, which I in return makes me think that my education gives me the ability to break down games like black ops 2 and extremely well so that people can better themselves as gamers throughout the call of duty scene. All in all I appreciate everyones perspective. Lastly, I like the idea of MLG banning certain perks, attachments, scorestreaks, etc. as they are more based around luck, and not particularly gun skill or map strategics.

trialstardragon

Banning them does not balance the game it just makes it where map control cannot be broken as easy. It does not really increase the skill gap either, it just puts more focus on guns and map control setups. The team with the best map control setup usually wins.

Most so called pros cannot handle the full game and the full chaos it provides. which is why the have those items banned. If they let the GL/RPG/SMAW in the match, all their hard planned out map control setups would be useless.