11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 3:15 PM by McZOMBI RSS

How can I become a better player?

I'm very newbie to fps and this is my first game that i've had in four years. Any tips you can give me? Also how do I analyze the heated map <-- I think I spelt or said that word wrong but how u go on elite and look at the heat. Can someone give me tips on doing that also .

• Re: How can I become a better player?
    banned-again

learn the maps quickly

nicedrewishfela

Play in Custom Games against the Bots. It really helps to learn the maps, practice setups, and work on accuracy and aim in a low pressure environment.

banned-again

low pressure hahaha have you seen some of the stuff that the bots do ive been cheapscoped by one and i went up against one with a riot shield and it got me a few times with that axe thing

nicedrewishfela

But at least when you die you aren't letting down other players, getting yelled at, or dealing with the other craziness that occurs online.

Helps one learn the game without the community getting in the way.

banned-again

true but have you seen some of the crap the bots come up with specially on the hardest setting ive even seen them dive out the top windows on nuketown ive got to say the are a big improvement on the brain dead zombies you had to deal with on black ops

nicedrewishfela

Oh definitely. But I usually have them on the lowest setting because I am only working on learning streaks or figuring out setups.

If I want a challenge I play Pub, if I want to just mess around I play the bots on Recruit.

To me, Combat Training on Black Ops was a Godsend for two reasons. 1) helped me learn the maps, guns, setups, and killstreaks (I was terrible with the Valkyrie missiles at first. After practicing with them on CT I could run those things through windows) and 2) It was good for playing on after I got too tired to play in Pubs.

I hardly do it anymore on BO2, mostly when I want to try something new out, but for the OP it may really help get a grasp on movement and map knowledge.

true that, even the lower dificulty bots throw there grenades etc perfectly, turn to aim even before they round corners, wallbang you, yes even quickscope.

i also love how a 6 man team of them will still spam rockets at killstreaks like a groundwar team would.

i do have to make a little gripe that they ignore restrictions on launchers and other things.

In all honesty, the Elite heatmap won't help with much. The best thing to do while playing the game is to watch out for the places that most activity goes on. Learn where all the chokepoints for objective gamemodes are, know all the places to throw a frag.

You will pick most of it up as you go, you will just suddenly get the hang of it and probably won't realize. Another good thing to do would be to watch other players gameplay through the theater mode. If you see a player who is racking in the kills and want to know how he did it, load up your last gameplay in theater, switch players so you are watching his perspective and learn the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

You will eventually be at the top of the leaderboards most games.

EDIT: Custom games won't help you much because friends gameplay is predictable and is not the same as a live match. Don't care about your KD as it means literally nothing. Just go straight into Multiplayer live matches, you will learn faster.

narcotic.jamie

Id say start out slow, try a couple of custom games, get used to the maps and the feel of the weapons, then jump into the Combat Training play list, you can rank up to level 10 in there.

The main thing is learning the maps, where everyone goes, chokepoints etc. If you find yourself struggling, slow down a bit, you dont have to rush out everywhere all the time, check out where you are, and where your teammates are.

Also keep checking behind you every now and then, the spawns are messed up and keeps spawning the enemy behind you a lot of the time.

Welcome to the world of CoD btw, it'll annoy the hell out of you a lot of the time, lol, but its all good! you'll get there

dirtymoosetaint

Learn the maps - the easiest way is to stay on the outside edges and run around the outter edge of the map. NEVER RUN THROUGH THE CENTER! look at your heat maps and get familar with the "Hot Spots". Figure out what your play style is...are you are run and gun, campers, sniper, etc. and build your loadouts to fit your style.

To help your KDR when going around corners ADS (Aim Down Sights) this way you are less likely to be suprised. That half a second it takes to ADS can determine if u die or not. There is lots more you can learn over time. watch youtube video guides, they are helpful in most cases.

McZOMBI

It's really just muscle memory and map knowledge, there's plenty of videos on youtube about that can help with tips and tricks but nothing beats just playing. Apart from straight up practice I'd say start with just bots, then try some Combat Training and when you get to multiplayer proper I suggest starting in Free-for-all or Team Deathmatch. The way they're set up in BOII you don't see many of the high scorestreaks you see in chaotic modes like Groundwar and Domination/Demolition which can be pretty hard going for newbies.

Have fun and remember that the only way to get better is to die....a lot.