41 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 12:32 PM by DontBanMyAccounts RSS

Throttling connection is cheating but playing cheap isn't?

I hear it a lot that throttling your connection is considered as cheating, but playing cheap isn't? its basically the same thing. When i say cheap i speak of playing on wifi and dialup connection while my family is downloading stuff from the internet.

When a person has a amazing good internet connection but he is using his second internet dialup, wifi crap connection while playing Black Ops 2 to get a lag advantage, isn't it the same as throttling your connection? if throttling connection is cheating, why playing cheap isn't? it makes no sense.

Its like when your house isn't closed then a thief can walk in and steal everything and its not considered stealing because you left the door open, right? see what i mean.

• Re: Throttling connection is cheating but playing cheap isn't?
    Kukkolfkambo

FixBlops2 wrote: see what i mean.

No.

Not at all.

As long as it's a connection that hasn't been "tampered with" ( a connection that could have been his/her only connection) I don't see a problem with this. What if someone has beastly internet due to work and a less good connection reserved for gaming - is that playing cheap? What if there isn't a posibility to play hardwired, thus making wifi the only solution - is that playing cheap?

Honestly, I don't see how you can use the term "playing cheap" about this, it makes no sense.

I give you a example. Lets say i have 2 internet connections, one is amazing and the the other is bad. Instead of playing on the amazing connection i play on the bad connection to get the lag advantage in the game, this is in my opinion called "playing cheap".

I understand your point that some people are forced to play on wifi when they live in a big house and cables are to short, thats not what i meant by playing cheap.

Makes this sense now to you? or should i explain it again.

DR65DR

If you think this will give you an advantage, then give it a try. Speaking personally, my game goes to crap whenever my wife decides she's going to piss around on Facebook and I'm trying to play.

My wired ethernet connection apparently stands no chance against her wifi Facebook sessions, and I lag and get my arse kicked in game. Zero advantage for me, but maybe you'll have better luck.

I does give me a "unfair" advantage, i don't get many instant deaths anymore and i win most close combat gunfights when i play via wifi while streaming stuff in the background.

Thats the whole point about it, when i lag then i am harder to kill for other players, the Host ragequits every time when he loses a gunfight vs me, its ridicolous how unfair it is. This is "playing cheap" and it works (at least for me).

So is playing cheap cheating or not? here you go.

I don't think it is, in the end it's how the devs have coded the game to work with a high ping.

Again, in cod4 (based on my experience anyway)  If I tried to do all that, I would go into a game with a red or yellow bar and after a few min I would end up getting kicked if I didn't sort my connection out.

Now, as you point out, it seems to actually help you game... while people who have a "good" connection (whatever you define that to be) suddenly find they are half a sec behind you.

The devs want to even it out so it makes sense to put myself on the same playing field as all the average connection players that the game is optimized for.

The devs say there is nothing wrong, so they must want the game to be played this way. 

Kukkolfkambo

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the point is not a good one (imo). Just because you have two different connections to da int3rwebzz doesn't mean that you necessarily can use both for gaming. And if you are paying for two connections, why shouldn't you have the choice to use the one you want?

Also, a "good" and a "bad" connection isn't necessarily due to wired/wifi/whatevz.

PS:

Playing cheap (again, imo) is using "cheap" tacticts in-game.

DontBanMyAccounts

if you play wifi and with a bad internet, you get 1-2 bars, you DONT GET lag comp, and you get screwed

Gunzby

I'm getting ready to try turning on QoS on my router (I'm hard wired to it) to see if that helps. If that is cheating then I suppose everything else I've done (DNS, DMZ, port forward static IP and hard wire) is cheating to.

I just want to be able to play the game so I really don't care what ppl want to call it.

Ellixander

If it gives you a better gaming experience go for it, I find that its up and down no matter what I try wireless/wired open nat/moderate streaming/non streaming, nothing makes much difference long term for me

if treyarch/iw want to make a game where people even think about slowing their internet connection down and encouraging a race to the bottom they've done something wrong imo

maybe if enough people do it we'll go back to a smoother and more consistent gameplay I've not seen since mw2

trialstardragon

You have no idea what everyones connection is like or what they have available. So no it is not cheap or cheating. You do not know if they have soemthing better or not to use. There are some area's of the country and world that do not have high speed cable or even adsl to use for playing games. And no they should not be disallowed to play just so your game works better. So get over it and yourself. They are not ever going to limit who can and canno play the game just so players like you can be happy.

indy56

Not really up on all this tech stuff about Throttling your internet connection, i was reading this website called PGWARE which states it will speed things up including games, do this actually mean it will only speed up games played on your PC or includes anyone using  a games console as well, ??

OP - The analogy wasn't that great, but /golfclap anyway.

Throttled connection has said to be rumor (from someone who's name I will not mention).

Does it happen? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes

Is playing on Wifi cheap? No. Some are forced to play on Wifi as you mentioned.

Is playing on Wifi because you know you'll gain an advantage, but you can in fact play hardwired cheap? Well, people in this game that live for this game, and all they really have going for them socially is this game can have all the cheap they want. I was talking to a buddy of mine today in-game and were discussed this after watching Thunder402's video. He said that he's on Wifi, and he feels that gives him an edge. I said, that I'm hardwired, and could play on wifi, but I don't need that extra umph to make my game better, it's just not that serious. He didn't say much after that. I'm sure like many, he thought of his like in retrospect for a minute, but got sidetracked by something shiny.

- Younique

p.s. To each their own.

In the end we are all just trying to enjoy the game and have fun.

nothing is happening from the devs end regarding this matter, that has become very clear...

People telling you that you simply suck at the game and can't take a beat down, does not make it much more fun either.

Then you have people telling you to just get over it and play the game and stop complaining, so people are doing what they feel they need to do so they can enjoy it like those people who tell them they suck just because their games are fine and they can run over everybody else.

hey, if you can't beat them, join them...

IMHO..... If you purposely do something to or with your connection solely for an advantage in game, while placing others at a disadvantage, you are cheating. Exploiting is a better term. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the problems in this game are due to the "throttling connection" virus that is plaguing the MP.

CLureCO wrote:

I would be willing to bet that a lot of the problems in this game are due to the "throttling connection" virus that is plaguing the MP.

Thats true.

SitRepPro

CLureCO wrote:

IMHO..... If you purposely do something to or with your connection solely for an advantage in game, while placing others at a disadvantage, you are cheating. Exploiting is a better term. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the problems in this game are due to the "throttling connection" virus that is plaguing the MP.

True and I think catering for lower quality/shared connections might add to it.  I could download torrents without much impunity in COD but if I do it on FIFA I'm screwing myself.

Yep, I can play mw3 and know exactly when someone taps into my connection, the game becomes unplayable and good old fashioned lag on my side is evident. Someone downloads while I'm playing blops2 and I don't even notice. Wtf....laggy ppl have always been on cod, but in the past if you lag, you suffer, not anyone else. So, they definitely have changed something connection wise, and it sucks. I'm sorry if you can't get good internet, but the lag should be your problem not everyone else's. I couldn't play online for years because a playable connection wasn't available to me, and why should ppl be able to now play (compensated) on the same connection I had years back? As long as this "compensation" exists, 3ark needs to disable the stats and leader boards since not one single stat or number is legitimate, no matter how high or low it may be.

Scorr

Someone has yet to explain, in technical terms, why throttling your connection can do any good.

Fair enough, it may stop you pulling host, if you don't want that, but if you are a peer on someone elses server, then throttling your connection can do NO GOOD.

Seriously, if you increase your ping, then you are playing in the past compared to everyone else. Lag compensation can't make your game see into the future.

Your statement may be true for every other mp out there, but it does not apply to blops2. Getting host in any other online mp has been a blessing in the past, but not now. Host in blops2 is almost every time a death sentence.why do you think there are so many host migrations? Person plays  and gets host unknowingly, 30 seconds or so in the game they realize they have no chance, because everyone else is slightly ahead of them, they legitimately quit out only to realize they're host. I for one refuse to play a game where everyone else is far enough ahead that I can't buy a kill. Milliseconds might not sound like much, but in a game as fast paced as this, they are very noticeable. And yes, time travel is possible in a video game.

what im realy struggleing with apart from the syc issues is the mp gameplay

i.e match starts i get ruined 0-7 then it like something changes and you end the match 22-10

or it goes in reverse

i.e i ruin them 10-2 then it changes and for the love of god you cant hit a thing and end up  14-14 or something.

and heres something new that happened to me last night you will love this hckc player crouched moveing round the map i see him come at them from the side with a death machine yea thats a DEATH MACHINE open fire on the fellow for a good sec or so he turns and kills me no hit markers nothing wtf is that all about.

oh in ans to your q's yes throttleing your connection is cheating and playing cheap in my eyes all your doing is makeing the better fibre connection lobbys pool smaller and just lowering the stats for the devs to the people true stats haveing this issue and we will never see a fix (well not untill last 3 months of game life anyway)

This used to happen a lot to me. Its as if the game hasnt sorted out its syncing and it takes a  minute or 2 to stabalize. Also ive noticed, if im stomping a match early 7/8/9-0, if the opposing team starts backing out when the new players join, during their "connection phase" when they 1bar, i always get lagged out and die if i engage the enemy during it. Happens all the time.

I also think throttling is cheating if it works. Youre just messing up the lobbys stability and ruining it for everyone else. Play in a shitty wi-fi, fine. But dont tinker wtih you shiit.

xmrythem

i read somewhere that someone was able to use their 4g phone as a hotspot and connect and play using that. I remember someone stating that they were godly and un-hitable due to being on the "good side" of lag comp. I tried this and it  didn't work. I was unable to find any games. Maybe I'll try again with my wife's 4g LTE service instead of my t-moble service.

I have tried this with 3g and it does work.  Only problem was my nat settings always go to strict or moderate.

You would also need an unlimited plan.

It can be done and it does work for some but it seems crazy to be playing every game like that when you are paying £40 for fiberoptic and other games work fine on that connection and then just to play cod you have to start hooking your phone up.

Depending on what sort of player you are being in Godmode is not always fun.  I don't see it as any great achievement if I know the only reason I won a game is because I could steamroll my way through peoples bullets and run circles round everyone knowing full well what they are getting at the other end. 

Being in godmode is not really the solution. I don't want an advantage over anyone, I just want fair game, or at least something that feels as close to fair as possible.   If there is one player who has a bit of an advantage because of host, I would take that over playing against a whole team that seem to have an advantage.

Still I don't knock anyone for playing with 3g or throttling or antying because there is only so much of the crap you can take and you either throw the game away or just find a way round it even if it means pissing the other players off, why would they care, they didn't buy the game for you.

xmrythem wrote:

i read somewhere that someone was able to use their 4g phone as a hotspot and connect and play using that. I remember someone stating that they were godly and un-hitable due to being on the "good side" of lag comp. I tried this and it  didn't work. I was unable to find any games. Maybe I'll try again with my wife's 4g LTE service instead of my t-moble service.

LMAO that was me a few weeks a go when my isp went down for the night i just tried it on my mobile connection for a laugh and although i only played 4 games i was in god mode most the matchs was fun but to be fair it wasnt for the other lobby members  does work but it cheap if you have a decent bb package it ok for the people that dont have the net in home and all they have are these things.

People get mixed up with terms a little. You can limit you upload to prevent host which is 100% fine. It provides no advantage nor does it impede others. It simply means you avoid host selection.

The term throttling has unfortunately become synonymous with "clogging your line while playing".   It did have measurable success in MW3s early days due to the way IW calibrated their "game smoothing" measures. But it's no longer the case, all that happens if you D/L while gaming is you have a jittery experience, as should be the case.

SheSaidNo

I say do it if you can.  It doesn't work for everyone.  Some it helps, some it ruins their game play.  I suggest you do what you have to do to enjoy playing any video game.  Gaming is suppose to be your time to relax and have fun.  Not stress about some crappy netcode. 

I've tried many things to where I feel it's just not on my end anymore.  So I've given up.

I dont think throttling your connection is an issue unless you are doing while in game, ie the lobby.

No one can tell you what to do with your connection outside of that.

Scorr

I love it when people make themselves lag more, makes it so much easier for me to kill them when they artificially make themselves lag behind everyone else. Just idiocy. Sick of people who know nothing about how the internet works think that delaying your connection... will speed your connection up...? Very odd.

In theory, you can throttle your connection with uploads or using a latency testing tool on your network while the game is in the lobby to appear to have a lesser connection when the game chooses a host and determines the amount of lag comp you are going to get.

Even if this was sucessful, you would be re-evaulated during the frequent host migrations and so doing so is just a pain in the ass.

Dyn4mics

I would like to know how you're coming to the conclusion that they are purposely making themselves lag. Good luck explaining that.

Scorr wrote:

I love it when people make themselves lag more, makes it so much easier for me to kill them when they artificially make themselves lag behind everyone else. Just idiocy. Sick of people who know nothing about how the internet works think that delaying your connection... will speed your connection up...? Very odd.

are you for real in a ideal world were lag comp dosent work yes i agree with this post.

but as for makeing yourself laggy please im on a fibre 90% of games i get host the 10%i dont host migration 99% i get host again.

watch the little bars on any of your games yellow 2 3 bar stable you will always ruin the 4barers in this game period.

me most games i can actualy see the bo2 system aplieing my lag full green/yellow/full green/yellow and gues what you guesed it im a sec behind but feels like an eternaty.

in the very few games i get all green lobbys its a diffrent thing altogether it can be like 1 side has an advatage then swaps to other side this how it goes all game.

although i will admit things are slowly improveing for me as time goes on

with regard to mw3 issues ive had fibre for 10years and picked up this franchise at mw2 so can not comment on other titles but mw2 ran and well for me no issue

bo1 ran and ran well no issue

mw3 ran and ran well for the most part (theater off)

bo2 this is the most frustrating hit and miss game of all time for me

asianman12

I don't even know if throttling works to give you any "unfair" advantage.  I played FFA with a 4 bar and a couple kids had 3 bars.  I was listening to a youtube video while playing and this one kid running around with a 3 bar merked the whole lobby getting to 24 kills next being 8 kills on the roster.  I couldn't hit this kid if my life depended on it.  And his 870 with long barrel & laser sight killed me from very mid range distances even though I had the drop. 

I immediately turned off youtube and put my computer to sleep.  It helped me 0% of the time. 

As for playing cheap.  It's being cheap.  You can't really ban them for being cheap.  That isn't cheating so it's not breaking any rules.  Maybe personal rules for you but you have only the power of avoiding them.