So, I have been put on probation. This lasted 5 mins. I have some comments to make about it.
+ I have long thought that people who quit games should be delayed a re-entry to online games (penalty). I actually thought 2 mins for each time is fine (from the point of quitting). That way, if the player has left the game for the many real plausible reasons there is no problem as they will take longer to return than 2 mins anyway. In principle I like the idea Treyarch have seemingly added to this patch.
- However, tonight showed no party stability as myself or my friend were regularly kicked or thrown into separate games. I quit out about 5 times in a period of 20 games over 4 hours. Twice was because my friend and I were thrown into separate games and I quit to regroup.
- Tonight was also one of my worst experiences for lag (well, not a good experience, there have been many of this poor level), and so 3 of the 5 times I quit was due to a horrendous advantage for 2-5 enemy players, I mean the sort of advantage where you can shoot at them from behind at short range and they notice this, turn and spray, seemingly killing you instantly.
- Then, there's the mid- and pre-game hard freezes.
- Then there's the scenario where I'd want a player with one red bar to leave the lobby, they should even be kicked for their own sake so they can get a better lobby for themselves. This is not encouraged by this system and I saw many red bars tonight.
- Finally, the warning, PROBATION WARNING, which explains what will happen if you continue to quit games, is then followed (after a button press) with the actual PROBATION. I don't understand the point of that. What does the warning achieve? Is this not just an explanation? If it should be a warning, they should post it in advance of the penalty.
In summary, I'm in favour of such a penalty BUT not when a game cannot function to the necessary level that this penalty becomes condusive to a better gaming experience. With the state of matchmaking and lag issues, freezes and party instability it seems an ignorant trick or perhaps one of denial to put this system into play. The quit-outs hurt better performing earlier CODS for 2 reasons, they were rage quits (not lag quits) and so were direct results of being beaten, and there was no host migration so many games would end unfinished as a result. Now, I don't see that the game improves with less quit-outs due to lag issues.
|reason for unfinished matches|
|hard freeze (involuntary)|
|disconnect gameside (involuntary)|
|matchmaking issues (lag)|
|hosting issues (compensatory host lag issues)|
|sudden party split (upon map loading)|
|sudden match entry (upon attempting to back out of a party or pre-game lobby)|
|late entry to unbalanced match (often loaded with enemy streaks)|
|spawning issues (often spawn trapping, but could be "one of those games" where spawn deaths come in 5's)|
|emergency/sudden need to quit (out of game, personal)|
|unhappy with performance|
I see at least 2 involuntary quit out scenarios and 7 or 8 out of 9 legimimate reasons to quit.
It also seems strange to me that a game that forces you to manually shut down your Playstation once a week (which could well prevent completion of a match, and add to your quit-out tally) also suspends you from playing it, if you choose to do the same.