37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 8:13 AM by ChronoZombie RSS

Who here thinks snipers should be gimped?

RallyOrDie

I sure don't. 

If you think snipers should be or shouldn't be gimped then please give a valid explanation on why you think that.  I am just trying to figure out what is the community's opinions on this subject. 

Thanks for your time.

• Re: Who here thinks snipers should be gimped?

Dont nerf the snipers , 

WHO  am i gona kill with my FAL and SMR .... 

banned-again

snipers are  fine when used the way they are ment to be its cheapscoping that most people have a problem with

SitRepPro

Sniper rifles probably shouldn't have a faster ADS time than LMGs.  The longer ADS times is then rewarded with body multipliers that LMGs don't get.

Restore_Hardcore

I snipe with the HMR and AN 94 with Scopes, never had the patience with sniper rifles. Mad respect for legit snipers though.

Bielsalmighty

This.

Also, I never had an issue with GOOD quickscopers in the original Blops, because it truly was a skill in that game.

At the end of the day though, one-shot kill guns have always annoyed people, Snipers and Shottys will always be bitched about no matter how they are used, or how good/bad they are.

RallyOrDie

How did it take more skill?  I don't understand how people come up with this lie.  What exactly makes it take more skill in BO?

Bielsalmighty

Takes more time to scope in, takes more time for the scope to settle. Snipers were WAY harder to use in Blops 1 than they are in this game. I can go positive sniping in this game, and I *SUCK* with snipers.

The thing I never got about auto aim abuse, if your only shooting when your aim gets 'stuck' onto someone, why even scope in? Surely a noscope would do the trick?

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

There is no aim assist on the snipers in BO2. You have to be fully scoped before it kicks in. There is nothing to abuse on the snipers in BO2.

RallyOrDie

So it taking more time makes it harder?  I thought it was the fact that the bullet would go in a random direction as soon as you enter scope, unlike any other weapon in the game.  You could be looking at someone ADS and shoot at there back and miss point blank.  That definitely took more skill to miss a shot that was dead on.

Snipers have never been "hard to use."  Just look at COD4 and WAW, or even COD3.  Snipers shouldn't be so hard to use that it is nearly impossible to do well with them in every situation like in BO.  Snipers are OHK weapons but have several fatal flaws: 5 shots, miss=dead, and hit marker=dead.  Nearly every other weapon in the game has 30+ shots and is full auto and kills in 3-4 hits.  If you cannot kill a sniper with in 3-4 hit is your fault for being out gunned by a sniper.  You had a chance and you blew it.  Now if the sniper misses, then he has to rechamber or switch weapons, and you have the chance to put more bullets into him and kill him.  If you fail to kill him after he misses, then it is your fault again.

At the end of the day the weapon is only as good as the person using it.  If the person is good then no matter what weapon he is using he will kill you, if he is using a sniper or SMG.

People didn't complain about snipers in COD4 so why do they do now?

Bielsalmighty

I dont mind getting killed by a sniper who is sniping from range. Never have, never will, they are using the weapon as intended.

RallyOrDie

See there you are doing it again.  Everyone keeps saying that, "they are using the weapon as intended."  Why can't people just use a weapon how they want to?  Why do people like you have to put restrictions on how to use something?  Why can't a sniper run around, ignore the objective, and go 10-25?  Who says...you?

Snipers are harder to use out of the desired range.  That is what makes them so challenging to use in CQC.  Not everyone can go 30-3 with a sniper and get 2 quad feeds a game with them, only people that are really good with them and know when and when not to use them.

People don't tell you to run around spraying constantly with a SMG, do they?  No, but they are the best hipfire and running speed.

People don't tell you to ADS the whole game with a sniper in the same spot the whole game, do they?  No, but they are the best at accuracy and long range combat.

Bielsalmighty

Ok, so if people found a way to make a pump-action shotty kill cross-map, that would be ok? Whats the point of having CQC weapons if they can get beaten out within their own range? One of the big moans from BO1 was that certain assault rifles rendered SMGs pointless as they killed just as fast (if not faster) up close.

I'm not saying that it doesn't take skill to do etc etc. Just that it can be VERY galling when a weapon can perform outside its intended purpose. Hence the huge amount of whining over the KSG (even though its actually MEANT to have range!).

RallyOrDie

Shotguns are completely different than snipers, so don't bother comparing them to snipers.  A sniper is a precision weapon, end of story.  You miss=you die.  Unlike most weapons you can strafe and do all sorts of interesting things, snipers just stand still and shoot, a pretty easy target.

Quickscoping and sniping are not ruining the game.  They are not the ones segregating them from everyone else.  You are by putting "rules and limitations" on what and how a sniper is supposed to be used for.  I am not the one that is the biased one here.  I am right in the middle looking at both sides trying to get a clear picture of why people hate snipers and why you try to limit what is a legitimate use for a sniper.

McZOMBI

I thought the original BO got sniping right but even if quickscoping can sometimes feel like and probably is a cheap exploit I'm guessing everybody has a positive K/D against the snipers in COD if there was a way of checking that. Don't think I've ever seen a sniper top the scoreboard in any game, ever. The only problem I have with snipers is that a majority of them don't contribute much to the team it seems.

I love to snipe (not qs,)the way i see it if u snipe pull out ur pistol in confined area.no way a sniper should be able to beat an smg up close!one thing that realy needs to be looked at in this game is the view kick or lack of it,fair enough if someones using toughnes but even if there not there is still almost zero view kick while getting shot.Blops1 had sniping perfect if you ask me.

phxs72

Snipers don't particularly bother me but I can understand why people get so bent by QSing.  The sniper rifle is the only gun in the game that can kill you up close and across the map in one bullet.  In reality it should be able to do that but people do get upset when a game mechanic is in place to make those up close kills so "easy" to come by.  Personally, I don't know that it's so easy to QS but some guys sure do make it look that way.  The way I see it, for every QSer that gets a kill on me there's probably 10 to 15 others that tried to QS me and died.  It's just not that big of a deal in my book.

Tinkerbell1704

Snipers only bothered me  when i first started playing COD. To be honest i dont like using them for the simple fact i feel the whole sniper thing is quick scoping and that is one thing i can never do :/ doesnt bother me if you can run around a map and get loads of kills by quick scoping go for it. does give me a good feeling tho when they get it wrong and i kill them not gonna lie

Only complaint I really have is the SVU. Its fire rate is outrages. I believe the fire rate or the damage needs to be nerfed on that one because it irritates the hell out of me when a sniper misses his first two shots then just spams bullets at me til I die. I also have the same issue with the XPR but I think it should have as much recoil as the Barrett 50. cal did on MW (since that's basically what it is) and honestly I think the ballista needs a bit of a bump on power for being a bolt action seeing as I get a lot of hit markers with it. I understand its supposed to be weaker but for what.....more handling? And on my opinion of quickscoping, I can do it but choose not to because its just too easy. Its never gonna go away because people have chosen to adapt it as a play style and you know what happens when you take that away...crying.

neekilla

Gimped for having wack diamond sparkily camo guns! there was a whole clan of them with matching handbags giving each other high fives after each quickscoped kill.

btjustice

i think they should be nerfed, i started sniping last week in black ops 2 and it is to easy to get a kill. i only tried it to see why there were so many snipers in most games.

i am on 1.16 k/d on tdm, sniping,  not great but considering i dont like using them.  if they were hard to use i would be o. something. because i am not a good player.

you can miss by a good margin and still get an instant kill.  were as any other gun in the game you can hit them point blank and not get the kill. the hit box seams to be much bigger with a sniper rifle.  if thats true then that is unfair on the rest.

maybe i am wrong, but i do know i miss the target many times and still get the kill. i do find once you kill a sniper with there own gun theý almost always come back for revenge which makes it even more fun. if they make it were you do have to hit the target chest and upwards to get a one shot kill then i would be happy about that. but i do think snipers get a bad rep because of the cheap scopers . i think if that was taken from the game completely then the snipers would not get such a bad rep. but thats just my opinion.

RallyOrDie

Basically if you are against quickscoping/sniping, even trickshotting, then you are against the the COD series as a whole because this kind of stuff has been going on since atleast COD3 and no one started to complain about it until, BO because of JD2020.

phxs72

I don't even no who JD2020 is.  But what I do know is that when the shotguns finally were given some range everyone complained and they are nerfed to shorter ranges.  However, sniper rifles aren't treated the same way dispite the complaining about their close quarters accuracy without needing to fully ADS.  It's a double standard but one that has been accepted by enough of the community to keep it around.  Whether anybody likes it or not, QSing is here to stay.  There's no point in arguing it.

ElitePepe

IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MUCH SKILL IT TAKES!!!!

Seriously, nobody cares!

nobody cares in the least, how many hours you sit around with your buddies twirling around 360ing or 720ing off of objects in custom games to practice for online kills.

The bottom line is, its nothing but an annoyance to us regular players. I don't care, if you go 2-20 with your crappy sniper rifile that has lower ADS, wahhhhh wahhhh wahhhhh. Go cry more, those 2 kills you get should not be 360ing no scope headshotting me off a loadstar in a bedroom while i point a shotgun at your face.

Its a broken part of the game. You can sit in denial all you want, because you sit around for hours on end watching "cool" trickshotting videos on youtube then try to replicate your favorite youtuber online.

Its not fun, its not cool, its a game breaking issue that effects everyone makes this game terrible.

Scorr

Then he is just a bad player.

And how is it gamebreaking..?

Most average players can kill a quickscoper with ease, and not even notice them

RallyOrDie

Hater.  You mad you cannot do a 1080 YY fakie fakie ladder stall PDA swap no scope across the map?

ChronoZombie

The problem isn't quickscoping itself.  The problem is the map design of every single map.

In MW2 my favorite weapon was the SPAS12, and I use shotguns in every game, so small maps work for me in general.  However, in WaW and MW2 I used all kinds of guns because the maps were varied, and in some maps you hade wide open zones where you could snipe at least 120 degrees in front of you.  In BO1 the width of sniping fields shrunk, in MW3 it was gone- MW3 was the worst game for sniping unless you liked camping corridors.  Sniping should be about finding the high ground and picking off enemies, but there is almost no high ground anymore.

Now, I assume people don't like being sniped across the map, but that is the most fun kind of sniping there is, and when the field is wide open and you can shoot anywhere on the map, then you have to scope in more and search all over, instead of aiming at a 15 degree range at the end of a hallway and just pull the trigger if someone turns that corner.

BO2 maps are slightly better than MW3, but not as good as they used to be for sniping.  If you make 'real" sniping impossible by virtue of map design and leave sniper rifles in the game, all that is left is quick scoping.  I barely touched snipers in MW3, then went back to the older games and realized how much I used to snipe.

If the maps become wide open again, where I can find multiple places on each map and shoot you from almost anywhere, then quickscoping will become the rare annoyance it used to be.  I love "real" (game) sniping- bolt action from 150-200 yards away- but the maps after MW2 don't let me do it.

So, people who hate being sniped, which is worse?  Being quick scoped or being killed from across the map?  Personally, I prefer the across the map, both giving and receiving.  Getting shot from that distance, I respect the shooter,and making the shot is much more fun than going for what is essentially a lucky trick shot.

I don't care if people quickscope, I just think using the  weapon as intended is more fun.