18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 6:19 PM by blarkw RSS

Movement speed reduction

NiteFalken

Do any of the experts out there think that a reduction of avatar movement speed by 10%  or more across the board would help resolve some of the synchronization issues between actual position to displayed position?

I have been paying attention to my lost gunfights and the majority are to SMG/Pistols moving at higher rates of speed.

• Re: Movement speed reduction

Good thought. I think it would. But they wanted the game to be fast!

JBurn244

Yes. It's crazy how fast your move in this game compared to previous games. When the lag is not on your side, people seem to be able to outrun (or run through at worst) your bullets.

MW2 was the last game to get it right.

NiteFalken

I would also ask if anyone else has noticed that game speeds vary from one host to another?

The speed of movement does seem to be tied to the whole lagcomp/anti-lag/smoothing code issue.

how, I have no idea, but I have noticed it. it's not one constant speed all the time.

I have seen my speed change from one game to the next using exactly the same class setup.  I have alo seen some people moving faster then other people that actually have lightweight on, crazy stuff.

I know one or two other people have talked about this as well, but I don't think many people have noticed it.

Hm interesting....

Is there any evidence or discussions about this?

NiteFalken

Sorry I cant really supply evidence. Just a feeling that started on BO1 with the lightweight/extreme conditioning combo or even earlier when we had the care package glitch in MW2. There seems to be a direct correlation between movement speed and vulnerability to hits. Specifically the faster the enemy avatar is moving the less likely you are to hit him. Now on the surface this makes sense. Unfortunately because of the synchronization issues a enemy that is moving at full speed with his sensitivity set to 14 and is constantly scanning is changing dircetion but to his attacker he appears to move in a straight line.

I've noticed this as well.  When I'm in a laggy match, it feels like my avatar is moving slower than normal, sometimes to the point that I have to check to make sure I still have Lightweight equipped. Like someone else said, it feels like I have concrete in my boots.  By comparison it feels like I can move like lightning in the matches where the lag isn't bad.

On the flipside, my opponents seem to move superhumanly fast when the connection is bad.  When it's good, I can target and drop someone who is using a pistol and Lightweight at full sprint with no problem.  When it's bad, a guy walking with an LMG is a difficult target, who sponges bullets even if I do hit him.

filthy3627

Yes, I believe the model movement is too fast for it's own good, that's why we see killcams with the player that killed us in front of us shooting us in the back and so on. I can be using lightweight with extreme conditioning in certain lobbies and getting beat to the spot by a guy with an LMG not using either of those perks. I often feel like I'm running around with concrete in my boots. it could be toned down a bit and the game wouldn't lose much speed do to the small maps in general. Nice thread OP.

Yes, the maps are so small already, if they decrease the movement speed then it will only improve the gameplay for everyone.

NiteFalken

Im not going to kid myself in thinking that folks may not like a speed reduction especially those who have been dominating with SMGs and pistols.

There are going to be tradeoffs as well. One that comes to the top of my head is increased vulnerability to snipers. But im sure there will be others

filthy3627

You will never be able to please everyone, that you are correct, but it never hurts to get this stuff out in the open as you never know how many others feel the same way. All we have at this point is our opinions and the right to voice them, I say keep em coming.

TheHive-Grandad

I played domination on Grind earlier, capped B flag and ran through the doorway out the side and randomly died instantly. Checked the killcam and a guy with a pistol shot at the doorway I just ran through and killed me with one shot (I was wounded from capping B so one shot would have dropped me). However I was about 2-3 yards through the door and out of view from him and the hitmarker was in mid-air as he couldn't see my avatar.

I also have another clip where a sniper gets a headshot on me but he couldn't see me, I couldn't see him and it wasn't through a wall either. His shot was about 2 foot to my right as I was in cover yet it registered as a head shot.

I genuinly think the hit detection in this game is the poorest in the series so far, I can only think of one occassion on BO1 where I saw very poor hit detection like this. My teammate was running up some steps and I was close behind, a sniper got a headshot on my teammate and the same shot killed me even though I was about 3 steps lower than him??

If this is because of camera delay then I would happily sacrifice some movement speed for an improvement in hit detection.

spkTKay

Maybe you should change your game mode you play, there are some game mode like snd where speed isn´t a big deal

blarkw

Yes, we need to be slowed down bad!!!!