26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 10:29 AM by PerkyNipzz RSS

Shotguns: NOT OP

theroc23

...but they are broken. Started to notice in the kill-cams that users of the most potent shotgun need only to get one shot off to get a kill after taking close to maximum damage. The bottom line is that no player that has taken damage a fraction short of death should be able to still get the kill with a single VERY LATE shot. Shotguns should be one shot all day long if the user gets his' shot first, but giving them the guaranteed kill as long as they haven't died yet is ridiculous. **** is just backwards.

• Re: Shotguns: NOT OP

Toughness is a very handy perk while running around with the shottie to duck and weave to get within range of a kill it is needed

Jaggajatt187

If you see a R870 you're pretty much toast. I still don't think it's OP, but I agree it's annoying when you put 2-3 bullets in the guy and he get's off the one shot and kills you. I don't know if it's the connection or what but like everything I don't like in this game I blame it on the LAG lol.

lost115

they have always been overpowered and has bee a pet hate of mine,yes if they are close should be able to one shot kill but there has been times they thave shot me from far away

Playing the game, I can see how somebody would say they're overpowered because they're pretty tough to counter using full auto weapons, especially when the shotgun is in the hands of an experienced user, and especially at close range.

As a person with all gold shotguns, they don't seem overpowered when I'm using them.  I'm constantly outranged by SMGs and ARs, and often get killed by players I wouldn't have had the chance to even hit-marker.  I've gotten the first hit marker in many mid- range engagements, only to find out through killcams that my rounds were doing minimal damage because I wasn't close enough.  The KSG has SMG-like range, but shots a tiny, tempramental slug (I'm sure the round covers as small an area as a a sniper round), and punishes the user with a fairly long pump- action if you miss/are too far away for a 1 hit kill.  The S12 and M1216 are both FEARSOME at close range, but have such short ranges they are nearly useless mid- range (compared to an SMG or Pistol).  The R870 is the best overall in my opinion, but it's buckshot spread and pump action require a decent amount of firing time for most mid-range kills. Overall I'm able to create occasional ***** with shotguns, but only in certain situations.  If used as a general- purpose weapon on every map , I would usually go negative (if only barely) and I certainly wouldn't go 1.50 and above consistently (like I can with SMGs and ARs).

As a person with real firearms experience, I can tell you that BO2's shotguns behave more like real- life shotguns than any other COD game I've played. That said, THEIR RANGES ARE STILL SIGNIFICANTLY SHORTER THAN THEIR REAL- LIFE COUNTERPARTS, which is not so much the case with the other classes of weapons.  I'm not quite sure what game aspect makes shotguns a simple tool amongst many in real warfare, but the cause of so much complaining in COD.  The fact that most maps are small surely doesn't help.

If shotgunners are giving you big trouble, a few suggestions can help.

1. Keep moving.  I have a much hrader time, whether firing slug or buck, to get kill-shots on moving targets than stationary ones.

2. Use rapid fire.  If you're using an SMG and constantly getting shotgunned at the last second, rapid fire may make the difference.

3. Create distance.  What annoys me the most while using a shotgun is coming across an enemy who knows I am using one so he constatly shoots at me from outside my gun's range and is careful never to enter my gun's range.

4. Use cover. 2nd most annoying.  I can hit marker the enemy's head/chest, but the target is so small compared to the buckshot spread that only 1 or 2 balls hit at a time, and I have to fire 3+ shots to get the kill.  Shotgun rounds get little/no bullet penetration to my knowledge.  For these reasons, I usually like a clear view of my opponents entire body before I fire my shotgun.

5. Aim carefully.  The most simple and basic way to not get killed at the last second (by any player really) is to aim carefully.  If you eithar A. Make sure the first 4 rounds out of your gun reach their target, or B. Make sure rounds reach the target's head within the first 10 shots fired, you will almost always get the kill.  This applies to SMGs and ARs with quickdraw equipped.

Overalll shotguns are more powerfull than they've ever been, making them more annoying to those who don't like them, but still far less powerfull than the other weapons available due to their limited, and unrealistic range.

Highwayman0226

Awesome post on the pros and cons, and great tips.

"As a person with real firearms experience, I can tell you that BO2's shotguns behave more like real- life shotguns than any other COD game I've played. That said, THEIR RANGES ARE STILL SIGNIFICANTLY SHORTER THAN THEIR REAL- LIFE COUNTERPARTS"

You also forget to mension spread size.  These shotguns in black ops 2 have 6.5 degree spread with the laser attached.  My remington 870 with standard 9 pellet 00buck can consistently get between .75 and .5 degrees of spread with my setup.  The spread of buckshot in game is massively exagerated to a lerger degree than how limited they show "shotgun range" to be.  3" 00buck shells out of my 870 maintain lethal velocities out well past 55 meters.  The 870 in game has 10.5 meters of one shot kill range.  Which is absolutely pathetic even for cod.

"Overalll shotguns are more powerfull than they've ever been, making them more annoying to those who don't like them, but still far less powerfull than the other weapons available due to their limited, and unrealistic range."

Actually these shotguns are likely the worst in the cod series so far.  With the exception of the ksg these shotguns have the shortest one shot kill range and worst hipfire effectiveness of any shotgun since cod 4.  Here are the stats of all cod games since cod 4.  Check the shotguns stats out for yourself.  http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=494 3

These shotguns are pea shooters compared to some of the shotguns we have had in previous cods.

StonerShug

Seeing him first, shooting him first, landing bullets on him first, yet he manages to kill me first? Yeah shotties arent OP at all...

Just because they have short range doesnt reduce their OP factor. Just take them inside a building and every drawback they had is now gone.

In fairness though it just seems to be the Remi, nothing else seems OP.

Highwayman0226

If you shot first and still died, you were too close to engage.  The lack of range is a HUGE drawback to using a shotgun, so a shotgun user is giving up A LOT to get OHK potential.  The range on all the shotguns, including the Remmington, is pathetic.  The KSG is a different beast, and can't be put into the same category here. 

StonerShug

So when inside a building that must mean im always "too close to engage". If a shotty user stays inside he keeps his OP'ness. Only when moving in open spaces is a shotty user at a disadvantage. Not good balancing, especially when there are some objectives inside. I find myself using MSMC more and more just to be able to cope with shotties. It doesnt match their CQB prowess, but its the best counter ive got atm.

Highwayman0226

Well, pretty much, yeah.  A shotgun in a building is gonna whoop you most times.  I don't really have an answer other than don't go in his building.  If you have to for objectives, I guess you'd need to rely on tacticals or lethal equiptment to get him out of there, then don't let him back in.

Much love for the MSMC!

Highwayman0226

OP, are you suggesting that guns should do damage according to your health?  At higher health your weapon should do more damage?

Sure, it's annoying to come close to getting a kill, only to get one shot.  This also happens with snipers.  You can be shooting away with an assault rifle, have 4 hits on him and you get nailed.  You know the risks of engaging a sniper at range with a gun that has less long range capabilities, a shotgun is just the opposite side of the spectrum.

SharpShooter111

shotguns are broken, in a different way though. ive seen kill cams where the aim/bullet is no where close to the enemy, but the shotgun user still gets the kill. it seems you only have to get in a radius of 5ft to come away with a kill. i dont know if its connection issues or what, but its a problem that should be fixed. i aswell have cheated death because of this, and while i was relieved at the time, it doesnt mean the problem should go unnoticed.

Highwayman0226

I get what you are saying, this has been discussed with sniper rifles, where the bullet is no where near the guy, but he gets the kill.  This is lag comp at work.  On his side, his shot was right on, but theatre shows something different.  Happens all the time with all guns.

They are not OP, they are incoinsistent at best. It goes both ways. Here is a perfect example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPrgn-RJzIE&feature=share&list=PL9QxLMdIcH9h5Ugc_ WFgJD6sAptONBNDT

I bet you will say the fist kill the shotgun is OP... what about the last 10s??

Highwayman0226

Was this before they nerfed the Remmington?  The first kill was a bit far, but not outrageous for a pump shotgun.  The shot was a little farther than I think I've ever gotten a OHK with that gun.  The second kill is what a shotgun is supposed to do.  The 2 guys up top, you easily should've gotten two kills there.

It was after the nerf i think about 2-3 weeks ago. I just find them incoinsistent, one instance they seem OP and the next you unload 3 shots and die from a knife. People just like to complain about anything that kills them i guess

watch this video and tell me again that they are not OP

Why are you saying they are OP? You are using the KSG it is supposed to have that range with a single slug. Why are they OP in your opinion..an actual answer and not a clip

Habe you ever used a slug shotgun in real life?  They are extremely powerful.  If someone were hit by a slug at the same ranges shown in your video in real life, they would have a hole in them the size of a grapefruit.

Glad to see there are others who understand it

mjgeezy wrote:

Habe you ever used a slug shotgun in real life?  They are extremely powerful.  If someone were hit by a slug at the same ranges shown in your video in real life, they would have a hole in them the size of a grapefruit.

this is a game with stats and what not, not real life.

The reasons i think shotguns are OP

1) range - can kill you instantly from about 30ft away

2) Bullet capacity - high capacity; 8 shells of death and higher

3)maneuverability - very light and can swing around easily

4)accuracy at hip - very very accurate for a weapon that fires slugs more spreaded then direct example: remington

5)the level you obtained some of the shotguns - remington is obviously one of the most efficient and should have been released at higher level

of course this is my opinion but the proof doesnt lie

Is this your fist cod?  30 ft one shot kills for a pump action shotguns are chip shots for previous cod pump shotguns. 30 ft is just over 9 meters.  The mw3 spas was capable of a reliable one shot kill out to 16 meters with a good shot.  in fact The mw3 spas does max damage (its pelets haven't even reached the point where they start to loose damage) up to 10 meters or 32 ft. 

The smgs have the same mobility.

The hipfire on these shotguns is worse than any previous cod in terms of both hipfire kill range and hipfire reliability.

These shotguns have miniscule range and overall effectiveness compared to their predicessors And that is why I think this must be your first cod.

ghamorra

Anyone who says Shotties are OP and have too much OHK potential shouldn't be allowed to post. You see OHK on Killcam, well guess what, that's a Killcam. Watch him throughout the match and see how many times he shot someone 3-4x only to get hitmarkers and die.

The 870 has more issues than any other gun. Some games I do really well, and keep my enemy close to get consistency. Other games it doesn't matter where the enemy is, I won't get a kill.

Also, its a shotgun. How about we test the OHK potential on a real person, see how well that goes (not suggesting we actually do it). They carry a lot of power and have far greater range than this game gives credit for

But, you know. SMG totting crybabies can't stand to have an competition. Everything has to be rainbows and unicorns for them

InstantOG

SMGs and Shotguns are only OP because the maps are so small. On mw3 shottys were ok, the maps had different sizes so it wasn't so easy to just go all out like now. Same for mw2. BO had no good shotguns so i can't say.

Before they nerf the remmington it was almost the ultimate weapon after they nerfed it became inconsistent sometimes getting kills from way out range and getting hitmarkers when you can read the enemy player pants size so in a way i guess the shotgun is not really OP anymore although the KSG is another story. If you can get your aim right then that baby will do some work for you with range of smgs and the damage of a sniper i be worried about that weapon espically in the hands of skilled player

so they should be one shot kill as long as you aren't being shot

that literally makes 0 sense

i don't particularly like linking my videos on these forums, but at the end of my streak, you can not say that it would not have lasted longer if i was using any fully automatic weapon

one hit marker is all it takes for things to go downhill