19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 3:04 PM by dkinak23 RSS

The Core or Hardcore Challenge

Spaceboss

Just like it says the core or hardcore challenge if you play Core go to hardcore and play it for a week, If you play hardcore go to core for a week. I'm challenging myself on this and anyone that wants to do the same.  I usually play hardcore because I don't like using a full clip but hey everyone has the same disadvatage. Maybe I can get use to core again since they get all the maps and game modes. I will play nuketown 2025 which I've been missing out on. and hardpoint etc. Wow its like chrismas again.  I don't really see any benifits if you switch to hardcore besides you might understand why Hardcore players like it so much after days of gameplay under your belt. Be back to hardcore in a week or maybe not?

• Re: The Core or Hardcore Challenge
    ghamorra

I balance myself out. I do both almost 50/50 because some days I can't get a kill in Core modes and some days I'm dying too quickly in HC modes. It also keeps me honest since both modes have completely different styles of play.

BlackhawkbillOO7

LOL!!! I actually did this about 2 weeks ago. Myself and 2 other buddies who are PM's needed to work on the Operations Master Challenge. We are all Hardcore Players and haven't played Core since Modern Warfare. We had to do the Multi-Team Game Modes. At first we were all pissed off at the amount of bullets required to kill someone. The connection issues would fluctuate and amplify our frustrations. After a few matches we noted some of the setups the regular Core Players were using and adjusted ours accordingly. As an example in Hardcore you really don't need Toughness because if you get your first couple hits center mass you'll get the kill. On Core Toughness is almost a must in a gunfight because it really seems that the one who can keep their bullets hitting the target longer would win the fight.

We also had to adjust our shooting and moving pieces of the game play. In Hardcore you can lay some suppressive fire to get to a point then finish the assault. What I mean is that when you are shooting towards the enemy and get some hit markers you know that they are at least damaged so when you get to the objective they will be a lot easier to kill. Whereas, in Core the same tactic isn't as effective because your health regenerates.

I prefer Hardcore over Core for my own reasons. I'm not going to argue one over the other. Both have their own Pro's and Con's and I believe it's up to individual preferences.

I will say that it's been funny the last couple days listening to Core Players in the Hardcore Lobbies talking about all the Blood Thirsty's they're about to get because "Hardcore is a one shot one kill game type" just to be absolutely slaughtered by the veteran Hardcore players. This is why when I play Core I just keep quiet. I know that when I'm playing Core that I'm out of my element and have had my butt handed to me a few times.

Must... not... be.... negative.....

I'm going to burst!

Nah just joking, calm down..

I did this not so long ago, just for a weekend, and this is what has driven me to be so negative about HC ever since for reasons which I have put into other threads which I don't want to resurrect here. I upset enough people last time.

I think it is a great idea.

It must be tough for core players switching:

Low health

No health regeneration

Friendly fire is on

No mini map - can't see friendly positions or enemy gunfire without UAV

No crosshairs

No weapon ID or ammo count

No scorestreak indicator

No score & time

No button prompts - "Hold [] to pick up weapon", etc.

No character chatter

Thats exactly how I thought it was going to go.

Maybe it is my playstyle or whatever but I did not find HC hard, I found it quite easy. People just dropping dead in a splitsecond, not so many people playing at the limit of speed this game offers. A lot of people hiding in corners but that was the only real difficulty.

Low health    

Yeah but so do the enemy's and in Core, you don't survive as many one on ones as HC players like to think anyway

No health regeneration 

See above answer

Friendly fire is on    

This is very difficult to get used to but doesn't make the game harder

No mini map - can't see friendly positions or enemy gunfire without UAV    

A relief more than anything!

No crosshairs    

I assume you mean hit markers? Not really a big problem as people die so fast

No weapon ID or ammo count

I have a habit of reloading every 2/3 kills depending on the gun I am using. I aready know the ammo counts of the guns I use ( as will most Core players )

No scorestreak indicator

As if any player doesn't know when he has a scorestreak, it's what the game is about!

No score & time Who cares?

Kill til the end, most people do this anyway. Who waits until the last minute to capture a flag?

No button prompts - "Hold [] to pick up weapon", etc.

??? Who looks to make sure Square is reload? After like one game you learn this!

No character chatter

Good!

First of all, I think we can agree that your easy adjustment is the exception, not the rule. Most core players rely heavily on some of those aspects that are missing in hardcore.

If adjusting to friendly fire is difficult, that means playing with friendly fire is more difficult than without it.

By crosshairs, I mean the four white lines forming a + in the center of the screen, making hip firing and aiming much easier (also using combat axe, grenades, etc.)

There are other game modes besides TDM, and knowing the time and score (like all games) can be crucial to how you approach the rest of the match.

The button prompts help because in hardcore you have to actually see the weapon on the ground to pick it up; no message appears telling you there is a gun, what attachments it has, and how much ammo is left.

When I played none of those things were issues.

I'm not great at the game so I doubt I'm an exception.

Friendly fire is hard to get used to, and that is just a habit from Core of getting used to spraying down anything that comes around that corner!

When it come to time etc. all those things are the same timing as in Core. So although the timer isn't in the corner, after playing 300 games of Domination you get a good instinct for how long the rounds are and how long should be left. I'd imagine 4/5 games and anyone would be up to speed anyway.

How do you cope with the lack of game modes? Dom is my fave but I couldn't play that and only that or TDM (which I do not like) for the rest of this game. I know the random games are there but it sucks not knowing what you are playing next. Can't get into a good run.

The HC package just looks inferior from top to bottom, I don't understand how so many people swear by it.

TRU11

HC package looks inferior because the lack of modes we got put up with.

HCdom or HCHQ are the modes i played since MW but this shitty company decided to get rid of those for party games who rarely get as much traffic and there now fav league mode BS who also doesent have as much traffic as they expected.

ive been playing core HQ for the simple fact i hate TDM and KC on both core and hardcore cause imo it promotes camping and i get bored easily just sitting around or searching for enemies lol.

DOM and HQ i atleast know where i can find them.

rlbl

SpoonsV wrote:

The HC package just looks inferior from top to bottom, I don't understand how so many people swear by it.

I hear that...

But HC KC is the cat's behind for for me (I do not play TDM either mode)

Sometimes I think:

Would I rather play the game modes I wish to play, or play the core mode I wish to play.  My answer flip flops so I am always playing both Core and HC (because sometimes I need a break from KC)

You not understanding may be because if you ask yourself the same question, you would always choose "I rather play the game modes I wish to play" more often (not to put words in your mouth)

The bottom line: To each their own... there is no right answer and if one does not think a certain way, they can never understand how someone can think that way.

SpoonsV wrote:

When I played none of those things were issues.

I'm not great at the game so I doubt I'm an exception.

Like it or not.. you are. There are many people who can switch back and forth or make the transition very smoothly (but many can still be a small %).  But think about it. If HC was easier/more preferred (on the global scale), any game mode that exists in both HC and CORE would have more people playing HC.  Maybe it is not a question of "ease", but more a question of simple preference.  I think more people prefer CORE for whatever reason they have as individuals.

EG:

KC - I prefer HC

DOM - I prefer Core

HQ - I prefer HC

FFA - I prefer HC

Hardpoint - I (would) prefer Core

Is one better than the other.. no. My prefs come from the game mode and how it is played (e.g. being the only capper on a DOM flag and getting killed by a random tube with a trophy system is terrible in MW3 HC... )

Highwayman0226

I agree with ya here Spoon.  The only thing I find more difficult about HC is the friendly fire.  You need to pay attention to where your team is and what they are doing.  This can be difficult with no mini map to see where your team is at all times.  It takes a little bit of time and thought to be a good teammate in hardcore.  Example would be, one of your teammates is ADS on a chokepoint.  Rather than just running in front of him, you go a different way if you want to rush, because you'll probably get shot in the back if you run in front of him. 

rlbl

Aside from my "I need more bullets to kill that guy" readjustment, friendly fire is by far the bigger adjustment.

I always play without a HUD (even in Core... I try not to pay attention to it).  But even when everyone on the team is using silencers and ghost, you can get a "feel" where the enemy could be based on where the bulk of your team is.

In HC, you have no idea where your team is at times so playing with people who are not communicating can be a challenge. When I am playing with randoms, I often get team killed because I play with people who do not have enough awareness to not shoot at anything that moves.

Sometimes, it is not my own skills (or lack of) that make HC more difficult, but the incompetence of others plays a factor as well (I may be an excellent driver, but that does not mean I will never be in an accident)

iEXTERMINATED

I do have quit a few hardcore games under my belt and I still play the same way I don't change my guns or any thing only I have to watch out for my teammates will be willinging to team up with u send a message to iEXTERMINATED

xtraflossy

I played HC one weekend- I really didn't like it so much.

No issues with FF, or cross hairs (I use a smr, hardly ever hip fire)

I suppose not knowing when I earned a streak was a little annoying but I just randomly hit the button at times in case.

I just didn't like getting insta killed.  I didn't do horriable or anything, but it's fun to doge bullets and come back and outplay whoever was shooting at you

Highwayman0226

That's the exact reason I play HC mostly.  You aren't really dodging bullets.  On thier screen, they got 8 hits on you.  I'm not questioning your skill here, you could be pro for all I know, but most of the time when you dodge bullets and come back to "outplay" the other guy, you are out lagging him.  Add in you prefiring before you make the turn, and he never even saw you before he died.

rlbl

I always switch it up because of the lack of HC game modes (I like Hardpoint and Dom).

But I find going from HC to Core difficult because I know how many hits it takes to drop someone in HC. When I go to Core I fire and move on to the next person and get killed by the person I was firing at... then I remember: Oh yeah, it is Core.

Takes a minute to readjust, then I can have some fun again.

BlackhawkbillOO7

LOL!!! That's happened to me so many times. I remember playing Core KC, I had 3 enemy players in front me, I shot a few rounds into the first guy and moved to the target only to be killed by the first guy I was shooting at...LOL!!! In HC you can put 2-3 rounds in someone and move to the next target but in Core you have to pump the rounds into the target until they are dead then move on...

dkinak23

I used to play strictly core.  Then a few months ago my friend and I decided to try hard core and now that's all we play,  it definitely took some getting used to but I could never go back now.