29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 2:18 PM by gambit1969 RSS

*sigh* Yes, another Lag "Comp" thread

rlbl

Disclaimer: if you are totally bored with reading about this stuff, or you are convinced you know about what lag compensation is, stop reading now.

If you are trying to figure out what it might be and are confused by watching youtube videos and the like, you may find this an interesting read (esp. the links provided... in fact... scroll down and start there)

What I have posted is not 100% technically accurate. It would serve no purpose to try and be accurate, as it would cause more people to not believe what could be the truth as it requires more understanding than I wish to provide.  If someone does wish to add, please feel free,

Serious wall of text:

A common error that is made by a few people (not their fault) is:

"People with fast connections and compensated, or slowed down, to allow for people with slower connections to play"

NO... that is not correct... not correct at all....

Everyone lags... everyone. And there is no such thing as a slow vs fast connection based on bandwidth, but that is off-topic.  Those terms are often misuesd (even by the ISP industry to make it so people have some level of understanding - but it adds to confusion)

On topic: (and this has been discussed so many times it is not funny)

Everything you see already happened.  When a player moves/fires/does anything, it takes time (small amount of time agreed... fractions of seconds) for the results of the actions to go up to the server (host) and then redistributed to the clients (other players in the game/lobby).

To COMPENSATE for the differences between what happens and when you see it happening (lag) the system awards you with hits and misses knowing by how much you were lagged by (e.g. it reverse projects based on known lag if you are shooting where the player WAS: example if you are lagged by 120 ms and you shoot at where were someone was 120ms ago, you get a hit - that is hit detection and lag compensation WORKING)... but this can obviously result in people being hit when they believe they made it around the corner or ducked for cover.

This is where the confusion arises:

When you die after you ran around a corner, but you see in the killcam that you never made it around the corner, people have assumed that the game pulled you back to compensate for the fact that someone with a fast connection outran someone with a slower connection. This is not exactly true. What happened was: you ran around the corner but that information did not make it to all the players yet regardless of their individual connection "speeds" so they still see you in front of them. They shoot, the system says: yep they were there x seconds of lag ago so you get a hit.

When the lag is terrible, the system CANNOT compensate well. What happens then is :

- you shoot at someone and nothing registers and then poof the player you were shooting at moves to a new location very fast

- You get killed by someone you never see, but they are standing right in front of you

- You die without taking any damage 1st, then in the killcam you see the person actually emptied a clip into you while you were not moving

- etc...

This has NOTHING to do with someone having fast and slow connections. It has to do with the latency (ping, RTD*) between players.  Example: two people have excellent bandwidth and can low-ping servers across the country. You would think: "If these two players ended up in the same lobby they would have a decent fair game against one another"

Well this could be true... accept one is in the US, and one is in the UK. Regardless of the quality of the internet, they are gonna lag to no end. Again, it has nothing to do with who is "fast" and who is "slow"...

People have incorrectly talked about this for years, and even though the truth is out there, people have chosen not to believe it.

Here is a simple read:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compe nsation

this should be your starting point, and not someone with a capture card who decided to post something on youtube...

Not saying I am 100% right or accurate; I am saying that one can easily find the correct (or at least more accurate) information out there.

Additional reading if you are interested (not just about compensation, but also lag... and deliberate additional lag which may touch other points):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28online_gaming%29

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/consumerelectronicsnetworks/f/lag_switches.ht m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_in_online_games

*RTD - round trip delay. The time it takes for you to send information to a destination and it coming back to you. 

Because the game requires so little bandwith, the amount of bandwith you have does not factor much into lag/ping.  What does factor is the quality of the equipment/lines between the source (you) and destination.  My ISP (as anexample) did not believe in hosting or peer-to-peer networking. As a result, when packets were indentifed is P2P they would get throttle to 80kbps (approx 10kBps!). People would drop out of games when I would host because they could not stay connected, because my uploads were so "slow" lol.  This has stopped... and now people can stay connected.

Message was edited by: rlbl