39 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 11:40 AM by CJ_SoggyBiscuit RSS

Jumpshotting... What's the point?

Im_not_BukLau

I've just been playing some KC and got into a lobby with a couple of people who have 'MLG' as their clan tag. They kept trying to jumshot but it seemed to get them killed more then it got them kills. This isn't the first time I've come across people who have (unsuccessfully) tried to jumpshot. Obviously a pro player would be able to jumpshot well but I don't get why average players try to attempt this when it just gets them killed

• Re: Jumpshotting... What's the point?
    anigavtew

to be cool. lets face it the average age is 13 on this game so guess what your gonna deal with.

ghamorra

Jumping shotting messes with the hit box because the game most often cannot keep up with movement, we see this all the time where we get shot and Killcam shows the guy shooting behind us. But you jump shot you hit box is not only going horizontally but also vertically.

Basically it's just a way to manipulate lag in your favor

illstplaya2live

I believe it started in Halo. Eventually some "big youtubers" started doing it in COD and it spread from there.

ImTheCaTaLysT-

Being an average "MLG" player, the point of jumpshotting is to

a) Check a corner that most likely has an enemy around it

b) gain an advantage on your enemy whilst in a gunfight

The main purpose of jumpshotting is to lower your opponents aim to your foot while you jump and aim for his chest, therefore giving you a higher chance of winning the gunfight. I would say for me it works about 7/10 times, im rank 14 in masters league play, and I use it a lot. I am not the best though, there are people much better than me that can execute it 8 or 9 times out of 10.

DuskShotzz

If i Jumpshot, I jump too go prone Immediatly after. Gives me extra XP (Dropshot medal)

And i dodge a lot of bullets killing them.

Jumpshotting WILL FAIL unless u have good, Steady aim.

WiseguyFTL

Doing it is the only way they can get better at it

You should only jumpshot if you can keep your aim on the opponent at all times, the most important thing in a gunfight is to hit your own shots, the 2nd most important thing is dodging the enemy bullets. Hitting your shots and not missing more than 1 or 2 bullets every kill should be priority number 1 before trying to jump / dropshot. I jumpshot pretty well and it's definitely paying off, I'd say it's worth it to get used to and practise.

SandSeven

Jump shots do work in the right situations. For me, I've found in very tight quarters while engaging an enemy around a wall, using the jump drop shot is useful.

Basically my goal in this situation is to come flying in causing him to bring his sights up at me and get them to ADS. If you can get a guy to ADS while you're jumping by them in close quarters, he won't be able to keep up with you escially once you're a few feet behind him and on the ground instead of over his head. He'll have to drop his sites, recenter, and ADS again. The closer you can get to the enemy, the more it's going to screw his aim assist up, and it actually causes aim assist to be a negative factor in the gun fight. What makes it difficult to pull off is, keeping your sites on him. This results in unloading half a clip into thin air at times. However, if you're on target, you're going to get the kill.

This is all well and good, but lobbing C4 is so much easier lol. I'm not sure if I have any clips saved of this tactic, but I'll look and post a clip if I find one.

Also jump shots with OHK weapons work great. You give the enemy no chance to get a shot at you, while you try a difficult shot. The only way you'll get caught here, is if the other guy is hardscoping and expecting you to jump. Here's a couple examples of it working well with the DSR.

BAC0NndEGGS

Alot of players have slow reaction time. Also they except you to stand still so they can spray straight at you . Jumping,dropshotting,strafing keeps your enemy guessing and its also harder to kill a moving target than a stationery one.

TRU11

people love to do unrealistic **** and abuse game mechanics.

blame the developers though.

jumping and shooting should be inaccurate as hell and the odds of actually winning that gun fight should be as high as you getting a swarm in a CP.

but COD is as realistic as HALO is a game set in a real life setting so crap like this is rather the norm then the exception.

ow and you will see them cheeser defend this crap lol.

BAC0NndEGGS

This is call of duty if your playing for realism this game not for you. Cod is a mindless arcade shooter for fun. If i wanted real i join the military.

TRU11

nah if i wanted realism i would have played operation flashpoint and if i wanted arcade i would have played quake orso.

COD used to have been a nice middle ground between realism and arcade but with each new installment they are moving towards arcade.

its why i play hardcore where most of this crap isent nearly as effective as in core.

also if you wanted to loose you limbs or have mental issues then you should join the army though.

BAC0NndEGGS

Again operation flashpoint isn't in the realm of real either. No game is. Why? Because it's a video game. Also not everyone who serves in the military loses limbs or has mental issues.  But as long as these "mental" people fight to defend your freedom so you can down bag after bag of cheesy puffs & stay in your basement getting the real military feel from video games it's ok right?

TRU11

dude its simple.

a developers decides what kind of game he is trying to make.

its either an arcade game like quake or trying to make a simulation like operation flashpoint.

now a simulation will try to add alot of realism into their game.

cod is a game that used reallife settings, real life weapons and physics that are supposed to be linked to real life.

With MW the things like QS,dropshooting,jumpshooting and more crap like that used to be a exception rather then the rule.

in todays COD however it seems those things have become the rule rather then the exception.

heck hipfire is probaly the best example cause in MW and WAW it wasent nearly as effictive and it used to require a perk to make it somewhat effective.

however now with the aim assist this high its probaly the best way to use most weapons lol.

this serie basicially became an arcade shooter then it used to be.

Also im not so sure how the military is defending my freedom cause the country where i live right now aint at war and hasent been since WW2 and the country where im from doesent even have the money to get anything that could resemble a military.

Also while your military might be defending YOUR freedom , you should not forget its taking away someone else their freedom in the proces.

Unless you think your military never kills innocent people lol.

always 2 side to a story and depending on what side your are, the other side is always wrong

BlackhawkbillOO7

TRU11 wrote:

Also im not so sure how the military is defending my freedom cause the country where i live right now aint at war and hasent been since WW2 and the country where im from doesent even have the money to get anything that could resemble a military.

Also while your military might be defending YOUR freedom , you should not forget its taking away someone else their freedom in the proces.

Unless you think your military never kills innocent people lol.

There are those that had the honor to serve...like myself...and there are those that reap the benefits of those that sacrificed. Your country hasn't been to war since WW2...Your welcome! As for the taking of someone else's freedom in the process...You are mistaken. The country that I live in and protect is the United States of America...We have done more to spread democracy throughout the world than any other country. We have sent our own men and women into danger to protect those that can't protect themselves. Sometimes innocent people get killed...it's unfortunate, but it does happen...war is not perfect...I appreciate your ignorance though...it must be nice to think that peace and freedoms are secured though hugs and understanding...The truth though, my ignorant friend, is that peace is maintained by ensuring that your stick is bigger than that of the other guys and freedom is earned through sacrifice.  

matt_michelle

ur right its not real lets add the jesus finger and laser guns super abilitys like flying an running like the flash lets make sure its totally understood that its an arcade fps not real no realism nothing lets take cod to total fantasy land.kill the series then someone can make a more realistic game that the kiddies wont like (to hard)(short attention spans) that can cater to a more mature populace.

sennalike

Wannabe ballerina's.

WolfRidge

Players do it to emulate Pros,  It is really effective if done properly, as others have said it moves the hitbox so you end up shooting at their feet.

My Brother is really good at it, he uses it alot.

I don't like doing it... I end up dead if I try.

koivia

Now bear in mind I only read about half of this thread before I decided to post my answer so if its already been said, I apologise.

Anyway, they do it to be more "pro" (that much was stated I know).  But what a lot of them fail to understand is that these "pro" players are not using standard controllers.  The play with scuff controllers that have the jump button mapped to the back of the controller so they don't have to take their thumbs off the joysticks. 

draftd

Jump shooting worked grat in the socom series.  Primarily because it made people miss.  I dont use it much in HC because everyone uses aim assist and 1-2 bullets kill.  Jump shoting does work good on maps like raid where if ur in the. Iddle u can jump shot people over the short wall.

Shadow_Alq

We all have those moments where we are killing a dude and we see a corner-camper just waiting to shoot you down (and many times they are proned).

so, sometimes, after I kill the first one and in the case I see the second one has a jump on me (because he was watching, or because he is aware of whats happening) then oftenly Ill try the jumpshot in those situations.

A lot of people lose their aimming or they even run out of bullets if you jumpshot, - it saves my life many times!

Specially against snipers * oh well, others can shoot the sky and even that way I get hit by a magical bullet *

MrFluffy949

Jumpshotting is really helpful for winning gunfights, surprising corner campers, breaching hardpoints and most importantly making your opponent feel silly

SandSeven

Like everyone has mentioned, jumping, dropping, jump drop, etc keeps you moving. I found a clip that's about half CQC engagements that I'm drop shotting and jump drop shotting. There are a couple jump drop shots that worked perfectly, and a few drop shots that the drop was the difference between life and death.

I rely on my secondary to keep me extremely mobile in CQC situations. This is my quickscoping class, but I generally get as many kills with my pistol using techniques like jump shots and drop shots. This is the best example I could find in my vault, but it's a decent video to show how useful jumping while shooting can be.

The first Kap 40 kill is a drop shot, but the 2nd is a perfect jump drop to surprise an enemy giving him no chance. There are a few others, but the 2nd Kap kill is basically a perfect jump drop for what I try to do with it.

Squallleon

Another reason that people may jumpshot is the fact that accuracy of the gun doesn't change until you land.

ashbashbluesfanPSN

Jump shotting can be a good tactic, its good in situations where you've exchanged fire and you know the enemy is probably sitting waiting for you with their weapon ADS, if you jump and spray they can't keep up as they're already ADS with their weapon, in that situation you have an easy kill.

Personally I prefer the dropshot, but I've been doing that for years so I have it mastered pretty much.

Most players make the mistake tin thinking that it will make them better, if your a negative K/D player and you try and jumpshot me 9/10 times your going to get owned, jumpshotting is something a skilled player can use in a situation when he's at a disadvantage, running around jumpshotting every corner is a fast way to a 0.5 k/d.

Erebos_Inferno

Hello,

I would like to point out that new people join this game everyday, ametuers move up the ranks and learn how better to play therefore it is not suprising to see jump shotting etc.

People have to learn these tactics, the best way to learn is against people in public matches. I strafe and jump when neccessary to gain an advantage in a gun fight. There are plenty of examples of when to jump/drop/strafe when engaged in a gun fight however nobody can be perfect of the bat and will need to learn.

These tactics are ever so useful in league/competitive gaming my team are around top 2 in platinum and over the last 3 seasons we haven't managed to push into masters. After reviewing why we keep losing to them (apart from the obvious that they are better) we found that these 3 evasion tactics are the main cause of them winning gun fights.

With that information we go to the pubs and practice drop/jump/strafe tactics to improve our overall skill level to compete with the top 2%.

FaNtasY_KiLLer11

I honestly don't see much players jumpshot but I have seen a few people that are really good. I also do it myself sometimes to make people mad. I can also go from jumpshot into a dropshot.

Also would you like to join a clan if so message me on PSN FaNtasY_KiLLer11

StonerShug

A large percentage of the time jumpshotting is an evasive tactic. Example, if i think i have the drop on you, i wont jump. However, if i think youve seen/anticipated me before i saw you, i will jump shot to try and avoid your fire, while trying to get my fire in your direction. It has nothing to do with "looking cool".

Also alot of the time when you see people fail jumpshots, its because they are already being shot, and are jumping instinctively to try and stay alive. Red doesnt alway mean dead

Theres a reason why pros jump so much, its because it really does work.

Zaled

just because you are killing jumpshotters doesn't mean it sucks. It just means the players have bad aim. A pro jump shotter will be able to aim quick and jump shot at sametime, it depends what players you are playing against.

gotsomestars

Yet another reason I play HC . This garbage doesn't happen. Bullets kill in Hc. I don't expect cod to be ultra realistic. But jumping into the air while firing a fully auto gun , while staying on target just wouldn't happen. Also its funny when people try it and their lifeless body flops to the ground.

CJ_SoggyBiscuit

Jumpshots are pretty effective with a shotgun.  I dont think i've tried it much with an automatic weapon. but if you use any of the shotguns it's effective at buying you some time to get closer. 

e.g. you turn a corner and you're face to face with an enemy who is isnt quite close enough to get a OHK, then jumping forward will cover enough ground to get a closer shot. it's not something you should look to do all the time, as advanced players will light you up.  but if you're caught in a bind, a jumpshot can bail you out quick.