0 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 11:25 AM by arcaver RSS

Idea For Future Games - New Perk System

arcaver

If it's alright with everyone, I'm just gonna dive right into the idea. I think it's gonna end up being pretty long, and I wanna cut down as much of my typing as possible so here goes.

Perk Progression

I've been playing Call of Duty since the first release, and have been passing this idea around in my head for a few years. I call it Perk Progression. Perk Progression is a new way to allow players to play the way they love playing and allowing them to customize their playing experience based sole upon how they actually play the game. I will be giving a few examples later in the suggest, so please bare with me.

I've mentioned the idea to a few people who were concerned about it turning the game into more of an RPG than a FPS kind of game, but if you look at the previous, and even the most recent release, you'll see that they are actually starting to become more and more like an RPG based game. Allowing players to limited customizations, challenges, upgrades, and unlockables. However, I think it's time to take it to the next level.

As I said, Perk Progression will allow players to play the game the way they actually play the game. This will be based upon how they get their kills, achieve objectives, capture goals, etc. Everything in the game will determine how their perks are unlocked and upgraded. However, for players to be able equip or even upgrad their perks, players must first complete challenges to get them opened up. Each time the next stage is able to be unlocked, the players will have to choose to unlock it or to leave it.

Here's what I am talking about as far as Perk Progression:

To put it simply, it would be like a mixature of Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty. In Elder Scrolls, the more you did something the better you got at it and the better the perks were for whatever you did. The more players reload, the faster they will be able to reload, until they are able to reload twice as fast and even swap their weapons. Or say, that if the player uses grenades a lot. The more the player uses, the more perks the player unlocks. Like being able to recover faster or even to be able to reset the timers on the grenades after picking them up and throwing them back. Another example would be that if a player shoots down a lot of Killstreaks, then they would either become immune to that Killstreak or be able to shoot it down even faster.

Four Tier Perk System

If that didn't work for you I also have a 4 Tier perk idea, instead of just the 2. Making players actually earn the perks and benefits that they want. Here are my examples;

Perks are completed in 4 tiers (Rookie, Experienced, Pro, and Master). In order to unlock these perks, the player must first complete challenges to unlock them. Each stage requires challenges to be completed before advancing to the next upgrade. Once a perk is unlocked, the player is able to equip it at the level Rookie. Unless the player has this perk equipped, they will not able able to upgrade the perk.

Slight of Hand:

In order for this perk to be unlocked players will need to kill 10 enemy players within 5 seconds of reloading.

Once this perk is unlocked, players will start their progression of the perk based upon playing the game. For example, the more players kill enemy players after reloading, the faster the player will be able to reload. Eventually unlocking the next stage of the perk.

1. Rookie - Players will be able to reload at a speed increase of 1.25.
    In order for the next stage to be unlocked players will have to kill (#) of enemies within 5 seconds of reloading.
  2. Exp - Players will be able to reload at a speed increase of 1.50.
    Upgrading will require the player to kill (#) of enemies within 5 seconds of reloading and obtaining a (#) of enemy kills within 5 seconds of swapping weapons.
  3. Pro - Players will be able to reload at a speed increase of 1.75 and is able to swap weapons faster.
    Upgrading will require the player to kill (#) of enemies within 5 seconds of reloading and 3 seconds after recoving from throwing equipment.
  4. Master - Players will be able to reload at a speed increase of 2.0, able to swap weapons faster, and recover from throwing or placing equipment.

Scavenger:

In order for this perk to be unlocked, players will need to get 20 kills with a weapon picked up.

1. Rookie - Players will be able to refill their Primary Weapon's ammo.
    Upgrading will require the player to get (#) of kills shortly after refilling Primary.
  2. Exp - Players will be able to refill their Primary and Secondary Weapon's ammo (Lock on Rockets only).
    Upgrading will require the player to get a (#) of kills with Primary and Secondary shortly after restocking.
  3. Pro - Players will spawn with 1.5 ammo for Primary and Secondary (excluding RPG and Rockets), and an additional Non-Lethal equipment.
    Upgrading will require the player to get a (#) of kills shortly after refilling ammo, and to get kills while enemy is effected by the player's Non-Lethal equipment (Flashbangs, Jammer, Stun Grenade, Nova Gas, etc).
  4. Master - Players will spawn with 2.0 ammo for Primary and Secondary, an additional Non-Lethal, and is able to pick up Lethal Equipment.

Blind Eye:

In order for this perk to be unlocked, players will need to destroy 20 AGGRESSIVE (Helicopters, Dogs, Sentry Guns, Guardians, AC-130s) Killstreaks. (I'm going to use the term Killstreak because it's shorter and I don't know what they're going to call the next set in the series.)

1. Rookie - Takes 1.5 time longer to lock onto the player.
    Upgrading will require the player to destroy (#) of aggressive Killstreaks.
  2. Exp - Takes twice as long for Killstreaks to lock on to the player.
    Upgrading will require the player to destroy (#) of aggressive Killstreaks.
  3. Pro - Player is able to lock onto Killstreaks twice as fast with RPGs.
    Upgrading will require the player to destroy (#) of player controlled aggressive Killstreaks.
  4. Master - Player is no longer effected by aggressive killstreaks, is able to lock on to them twice as fast with RPGs, and no longer appears with a red square in player controlled killstreaks.

Ninja:

In order for this perk to be unlocked the player will need to obtain 20 stealth kills (silencer kills or knife kills)

1. Rookie - The sound of the player's foot steps are reduced to half the regular sound.
    Upgrading will require the player to obtain (#) of stealth kills while moving.
  2. Exp - The player no longer makes noise while moving.
    Upgrading will require the player to obtain (#) of knife kills.
  3. Pro - Player no longer make noise while reloading.
    Upgrading will require the player to obtain (#) of stealth kills while enemy is near their team mate.
  4. Master - Player no longer makes noise while using placing or throwing equipment.

Scout:

This is a new perk that I would like to see add to the game. While you are looking down your cross-hairs, the enemies that appear in your view, now show up on your nearby team mate's radar. In order for this perk to be unlocked players need to get 20 long range kills.

1. Rookie - Enemy names show up at a longer range.
    Upgrading will require the player to obtain (#) of one shot kills.
  2. Exp - Enemy names show up at a longer range, and show up on closest team mate's screen.
    Upgrading will require the player to obtain (#) of long range kills.
  3. Pro - Enemy names show up farther, player is able to "paint" the enemy by damaging them, but not killing them.
    Upgrading will require the player to "paint" a (#) of enemy players and then their team mates kill the painted enemy.
  4. Master - While the player is looking down their sights (or scope) any enemies in their sight are "pinged" (an outline of the enemy is shown on the closest player's screen. Enemies close to the player equiped with Scout are also highlighted as well. (Must be in view of player)

Ghost:

This is probably the most talked about perk ever in the game. Hopefully this will balance it and bring it back to it's glory. In order for this perk to be unlocked players must get 20 Defensive Kills.

1. Rookie - Player's name no longer appears.
    Upgrading requires the player to shoot down (#) UAV's
  2. Exp - Player's name no longer appears and the player only shows up on every other wave of a UAV. (Meaning that if there are 6 waves of a single UAV, the player will show up for 3 of them.)
    Upgrading requires the player to get (#) of Defensive kills and shoot down (#) of Player controlled Supportive Killstreaks.
  3. Pro - Player's name no longer appears, as well as only showing up every 2 waves of a UAV, and player no longer shows up on Thermal Items (scopes and Killstreaks).
    Upgrading requires the player to get (#) of Defensive kills, shoot down (#) of UAV's, and shoot (#) of player controlled supportive killstreaks.
  4. Master - Player's name doesn't appear, is immune to Thermal Items, and no longer shows up on UAV's.

Commando:

No, not the knifing Commando. In order for this perk to be unlocked, the player needs to obtain 20 Offensive Kills.

1. Rookie - Player is able to take more explosive damage while capturing an Objective. Normal damage if not capturing.
    Upgrading requires that the player obtain (#) of kills while moving.
  2. Exp - Player is able to take more explosive damage, player only shows up every other wave of a UAV while moving.
    Upgrading requires the player to obtain (#) of Offensive Kills and (#) of kills of enemy Defenders.
  3. Pro - Player is able to take more explosive damage, player only shows up every other wave of a UAV (while moving), and shots fired by enemy defenders leave a trail on their screen.
    Upgrading requires the player to obtain (#) of kills while capturing an Objective or while carrying the flag (CTF) and obtain (#) of kills of enemy Defenders.
  4. Master - Player is able to take more explosive damage while capturing an Objective, no longer shows up on UAV's while moving, and shots fired from enemy defenders leave a trail on their screen.

These are just a couple of ways that the system can be done. Thanks for reading, and please feel free to leave your thoughts.