1 2 3 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 12:54 AM by Yppecaye_the_Dogged RSS

Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

BUMP as it's appropriate today because Arms Race was taken off the playlist (replaced by, of all things, Noobtown.) 

EDIT:  before I bumped this tread, I wanted to play a few TDM matches and see whether the differences I list below are really that obvious.  Well, I just played about 10 TDM games.  My observation was that there were many more campers/snipers because there simply wasn't enough streaks to get them off their asses.  As a result, the games took considerably longer to end (about 2 min longer.)  For example, in Mirage I pretty much spent the entire game seeking out campers and snipers in the middle.  Let's face it, doesn't matter how good you are, if your team is doing the same camping/sniping, you're not gonna be very successful in clearing out a room of 4 or 5 camplers (esp. in Mirage's huge middle building.) 

I've been playing AR exclusively since it came out.  The difference between TDM and AR in fun level, speed, and variety in play is palpable. 

I will definitely miss Arms Race.  END EDIT.

Why Arms Race Should Stay

This post is my opinion on why Arms Race should be kept on the playlist.   I've read discussions about AR in this forum and wish to address some of  the more popular arguments for and against.  The following is my opinion on some of these arguments.

Dashboarding/Rage Quitting

Actually,  I haven't seen much of it at all, certainly not any more than any  other game modes.  Lets face it, DBs & RQs will quit.  That's what  they do and they don't need to be in AR to do so. 

Players have stayed In [a] big majority of games, even when their opposing teams call in high streaks.  This is the case because they know there's a  hugh likelihood that their team will get high streaks too.  Like I will mention below, I've seen many comebacks.

Spamming Lower Killstreaks  

EDIT:  (Incidentally, there was a forum member spamming his video proving my exact point here.  He spammed UAVs and Counter UAVs in AR!  I'd link the video but I don't want to encourage his spamming for more views.)  END EDIT

Good players are going to do well; bad one's won't.  Bad one's will spam UAVs & other low streaks and maybe get a 10-15 kill lead to start the game.  But good players will erase the deficit with VSATs &  Lodestars or Warships.  Bad players don't like it b/c they thought they were going to win and...have a decent game by starting off 6-1 and their team up 35-20;  but then, again, only to finish 12-13 and  losing 75-68.  After this, they'll say AR sucks b/c the other team got their VSAT too easily.

Spammed low streaks are annoying.  But certainly not too big a problem IMO. 

Lopsided Games    

Some say it's impossible to regain a lead in AR.  This is false.  I've played many games where one team starts off hot (e.g., a 35-17 lead) but only to lose at the end by a score of 75-69. [A lesson not to quit.]

And yes there are lopsided games, but which game mode doesn't. 

v. Previous CODs

For example, with W@W, there would always be 2-3 artillery strikes and 1-2 dogs per game.  W@W's artillery and dogs were just as lethal as BOII's  high streaks.  Same can be said about the frequent uses of the AC-130 and Osprey in MW3.  AR only increases the game pace to those of previous CODs. 

I played a few reg TDM games last night and boy was it boring and slow.   

EDIT:  Now that AR is gone and just having played about 10 TDM games, I cannot stress more how slow and boring TDM is. END EDIT

Higher Killstreaks Are Rarely Used in BOII TDM    

...I'm a decent player but I never used any streaks higher than the stealth chopper.  Now, I certainly could have earned lodestars or dogs, but they would have been [few and far between.]  It was just far more probable and efficient to settle for lower to mid level streaks.

In AR I've been calling VSATs & Lodestars (I get more average kills per use with the Lodestar than any other high streak.)  I'm having a lot  of fun....[It's kept me interested in the game.]

Better Competition    

I experience better competition in AR; it's fun being in a game where both sides have VSATs going simultaneousl[y]..., [with more lethal high streaks coming.]  Subpar players (EDIT:  as again demostrated by the unnamed YouTube spammer.  END EDIT.) are destroyed while decent to good players face off in competitive games. 

Maps.   

Not much to say except...:  Put 'em all in!  Imagine a nice VSAT in Aftermath or Turbine. 

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't play it.  What's there to complain about?  AR is an addition to the playlist, it's not a replacement to anything..

EDIT: LOL, at this point I'd settle for just having it back.  \

Well, what is done is done.  But we have to think that there was a reason AR was added in the first place.  Hope the DEVs will give AR another look, at its virtues, and  consider the points I listed above.  END EDIT.

• 1. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    TRU11

if it would keep the killwhores and non objective players out of other modes then im all for it.

• 2. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I know some KC players have been coming to AR.  And good luck to those thinking they'll get their nuclear callsign in AR.

• 3. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    shawn22

I definitely experience tougher competition in Arms Race. I also feel I play better as a result, as my life has 'increased' value approaching those higher streaks. If I'm feeling run down, I'll play normal TDM.

• 4. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.

Dashboarding/Rage Quitting

Actually,  I haven't seen much of it at all, certainly not any more than any  other game modes.  Lets face it, DBs & RQs will quit.  That's what  they do and they don't need to be in AR to do so.

Players  have stayed In [a] big majority of games, even when their opposing teams  call in high streaks.  This is the case because they know there's a  hugh likelihood that their team will get high streaks too.  Like I  will mention below, I've seen many comebacks.

Usually TDM is where you will find the least amount of quitting, but I have seen it more times in Arms race than regular TDM.

Spamming Lower Killstreaks   

Good  players are going to do well; bad one's won't.  Bad one's will spam  UAVs & other low streaks and maybe get a 10-15 kill lead to start  the game.  But good players will erase the deficit with VSATs &  Lodestars or Warships.  Bad players don't like it b/c they thought they  were going to win and...have a decent game by starting off 6-1  and their team up 35-20;  but then, again, only to finish 12-13 and  losing 75-68.  After this, they'll say AR sucks b/c the other team got  their VSAT too easily.

Yes and no, when I feel I want to be directly more supportive to my team I run lower rated streaks to keep them fed. When I feel the bad a-s-s things, I run higher ones.

Lopsided Games   

Some  say it's impossible to regain a lead in AR.  This is false.  I've  played many games where one team starts off hot (e.g., a 35-17 lead) but  only to lose at the end by a score of 75-69. [A lesson not to quit.]

I agree 100% STOP QUITTING PEOPLE FIGHT TO THE END!

Higher Killstreaks Are Rarely Used in BOII TDM   

...I'm a decent player but I never used any streaks  higher than the stealth chopper.  Now, I certainly could have earned  lodestars or dogs, but they would have been [few and far between.]  It was  just far more probable and efficient to settle for lower to mid level  streaks.

In  AR I've been calling VSATS & Lodestars (I get more average kills  per use with the Lodestar than any other high streak.)  I'm having a lot  of fun....[It's kept me interested in the game]

its interesting that you bring this, in regulare TDM I run higher end streaks because I know I can get them. Its a matter of perception.

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't play it.  What's there to complain about?  AR is an addition to the playlist, it's not a replacement to anything..

It also boosts peoples SPM in TDM greatly.

Good post hope it doenst get deleted.

• 5. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    AVG219

Arms race should stay. I always like playing it and have hard competition when playing, which is the best to help people learn how to do better at the game. Arms race is basically just a harder and more XP version of Team Deathmatch, and if Arms race became the new TDM, that would be a good call, or just have it a seperate game mode inside of the core playlist

• 6. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

AVG219 wrote:

Arms race should stay. I always like playing it and have hard competition when playing, which is the best to help people learn how to do better at the game. Arms race is basically just a harder and more XP version of Team Deathmatch, and if Arms race became the new TDM, that would be a good call, or just have it a seperate game mode inside of the core playlist

Taking this snapshot survey of AR's popularity as we speak. 

AR is the THIRD MOST PLAYED gamemode in BOII. 

Here's the breakdown out of 130,773 players in Public Match (from Los Angeles @ 8:38AM PST):

1.  TDM:  52,846

2.  Domination:  29,244

3.  ARMS RACE:  13,286

4.  HC TDM:  12,402  (Sorry HC apologists.  )

It should be no question that it stays.

• 7. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    s_paw1

150 points for a kill compared to 100 points for tag + 50 points for a kill. For a player who tag-whores I don't see why I would even try AR.

• 8. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

PERSEUS wrote:

Yes and no, when I feel I want to be directly more supportive to my team I run lower rated streaks to keep them fed. When I feel the bad a-s-s things, I run higher ones.

Spamming is different from using them.  I've seen guys exclusively running it, nothing else.  That said, I wouldn't try to shoot my own teammates' UAV down.

its interesting that you bring this, in regulare TDM I run higher end streaks because I know I can get them. Its a matter of perception.

Relative to previous titles, I rarely saw high end streaks in TDM.  I mean swarms, forget about it.  Pure speculation but I'm thinking this is one of the reasons they came up with AR in the first place. 

It also boosts peoples SPM in TDM greatly.

This is a negative.  300+SPM is very good in TDM.  Now I see 350 filling half the lobby. 

Good post hope it doenst get deleted.

Won't argue with you here, esp. the second part.

• 9. Re: Arms Race:  Why It Needs to Stay.
    Yppecaye_the_Dogged

For one you won't have to tag whore anymore.

But don't get me started on KC.

1 2 3 Previous Next