7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 11:38 AM by jliba12 RSS

IR Control Setup Observations

Goodtwin

Ok, I had completely given up on the idea of my Wii Remote and Chuk controls ever being as good as they were in Modern Warfare 3 on Wii, and to a slightly lesser extent BO on Wii.  I have finnally realized that I was missing the purpose of what is probably the most important control setting for IR players, the Camera Sensastivity.  I dont know why I was so dense, how I missed this is beyond me but I am glad I finnally figured it out.  In Red Steel 2 there was a setting where you could set the acceleration curve for the camera.  Basically, the farther from center you go with your cursor the faster you start to turn.  In Red Steel 2 you could decide where on screen you would hit max turn speed.  Well because I am apparently a moron, I wasnt putting it together that the Camera sensativity is there for the exact same reason.  I was strugling to come up with a setup that was quick and responsive, but not overly twitchy.  I had pretty much given up, but after reading Treyarchs Guide, it dawned on me what the Camera sensativity actually does, it sets the acceleration curve. 

So I went home, turned my camera sensativity down to 15, I had it set to about 35, and now the cursor movement feels like there is a spring always pulling it to the center.  Its hard to explain why this works so well, but it basically always feels like the camera perfect centers on whatever your aiming at.  By turning down camera sensativity, the ADS is more stable ten fold.  By turning your camera sensativity down, you will not have to sacrafice speed.  You will be able to pretty much max out all of your other settings.  My horrizontal camera speed is at about 35-40, vertical camera speed is at 30, ADS horrizontal camera speed is at 30 (probably going to turn it up some), ADS vertical speed is also at 30, cursor speed is maxed out, cursor sensativity is also maxed out.  I will probably continue to fine tune things, but they are 10x better than they were.  I loved my controls in MW3 and BO on Wii, but I could never get the speed and stability with them in BO2, until now.  For referance, I run practically no dead zone.  I know some people run very large dead zones, so a lot of this wont really apply to them, but for those that prefer little to no dead zone, turning down camera sensativity is a must. 

Up until now, I always felt that DA players had the better controls in this game.  Unlike BO and MW3 on Wii that had no aim assist for DA players, not to mention a much larger bullet spread than BO2 has, the IR controls were always superior on Wii.  But I would now say that controller choice is irrelevant in this game.  There are positives and negatives with both controller choices. Do I think that if you were to remove all forms of aim assist that the DA controls would be on equal ground with IR controls?  No, I think if you were ot remove the snap, sticky reticule, and tight bullet spread from the DA controls then the IR players would most likely dominate just like they did on Wii.   

• Re: IR Control Setup Observations
    LastShadowCOD

Thanks - I'm going to try this. I have very small dead zones as well and finding the right settings has been difficult.

chad111

I had both of my dead zones set really small. I was having a bad time getting bloodthirsty with the KSG, then somebody said to turn on aim assist. So I tried that with not much luck. Then I figured that I need to make my ads dead zone box a little bigger. That was the trick for me, turn on AA, open the ads dead zone to cover the inside half if the screen, bloodthirsties galore. Even with the ads dead zone a bit bigger, I can still run n gun. Not only did this work well with the KSG, I use the same set up for the Crossbow too.

LastShadowCOD

I tried this - for me it just made it more sluggish on the outer rim of the ADS reach.

BobbyMcGee

there was aim assist on black ops wii, same as 2 on the wii u...

BobbyMcGee

good wiimote superiority thread though. if we remove aim assist wiimote will dominate. lol

Goodtwin

Yes, without any aim assisnt DA would get destroyed.  IR is almost as quick and accurate as a mouse and keyboard.  With that said, without things like the lookspring, and being able to tune everything with the IR controls, those controls would be sketchy as well.  The difference is that IR players are actually aiming the weapon, with DA controls, the weapon is fixed in the middle of the screen.  So the player is not actually aiming the weapon with DA controls, but is instead moving the camera and centering the camera near the enemy.  Its why your reticule with DA never moves, and with IR the cursor can move anywhere on the screen.  DA controls are still the standard, and everyone can choose whatever they want.  I think the IR controls are more fun, but on a level of effectiveness, they arent any better or worse than the DA setup in BO2. 

jliba12

You can't do anything to the DA aim assist/controls because dual analogs are a cross-platform thing, and if they mess with that, it would affect future patches that are ported over from other platforms (although patches ended a long time ago for us Wii U players), and it would give a different experience than other platforms, whereas treyarch wants everyone to have similar gaming experience.

So they can add more sticky and everything will be fine. I remember playing at my friends house and we were playing campaign. I had the wiimote and he had the gamepad, and every few minutes, we'd switch who was controlling player 1. I got to the part where I had to snipe Mason, and my snipe crosshair was literally jittering all over the place and I couldn't get it steady from such a long sniping range. So I switched input to my friend and the crosshair was stiff and he just moved it over Mason's leg and fired.