1 2 3 Previous Next 89 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 1:18 PM by ddan9459 RSS

How can Call of Duty be more mature

ghamorra

I started a very successful thread yesterday on the statement released by Activision on the threats made against developers. I asked for the community to take a step back and look strongly consider the way they post in an attempt to change how hateful this community can get sometimes. Already I'm noticing a big change in the attitude of this forum. Thank you all.

Inside that thread there is a very good conversation going. It seems mostly everyone on these boards is in agreement that Acitivision is bring about their own downfall due to an unintentional focus on a group of players, the younger players. I have to say that in just about every match I play there's at least one kid who's about the age of 10-14 years old.

This age group is very immature, they are the ones who abuse elements in the game, actively search for glitches and hacks, rage quit like it's a gamemode in itself. I personally don't think they should be able to play this game as they do more harm than good to the community. However, you can't just go banning people based on age. Instead you have to build a game that they won't neccessarily enjoy playing unless they're mature enough to understand it.

In what ways has Call of Duty attracted this demographic and in what ways can Call of Duty change itself to make the game more mature.

• 1. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    create34

they could pay attention to the reported players....which i dont beleive they do

• 2. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    gambit1969

I think the damage is done already G', the franchise has become a victim of its own success.

The only thing that could deter the kids and the tweenies is if all the flashy elements that have been added since BO1 were removed.

If they also made trickshoting and quickscoping impossible and removed all the social networking elements and returned the game back to its roots as a pure FPS..

• 3. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    mwfan55

To answer your question, nothing can be done. It is not Activisions place to help weed out the kids, it is the parents job to teach their kids.

• 4. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    gotsomestars

It might just be me , but the maps themselves seemed to be aimed at younger crowds. I don't recall many other maps in the older games that were at skate parks, paintball arenas and so on.

I may just be making a connection where I want , but I remember more jungle/desert/ outdoor in general maps as opposed to teenage hangout places. And bling bling mansions . Maybe in the next map pack others will be a " Jersey shore" map or something.

Not to mention the bright sparkly camo . From my experience the mature gamers want camo that actually is camo. Not pink leopard print or snuggly teddy bears.

• 5. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    sstang1

Don't try to sell me Pink polka dotted camos.

But seriously the game isn't supposed to be sold to anyone younger than 17 I believe - the other day I had this kid that sounded very young on my team so I asked him how old he was - he said 7 - WTF ? - I told him he had horrible parents.  lol

• 6. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    ghamorra

I think if the game changed direction and exaggerated less elements such as weapon abilities or map designs I think we'd see a big change. Even the scorestreak abilities such as Lodestar earning Dogs which earns a SWARM. That combo on the right map can easily net you 30 kills.

I see more mature players focusing on the win rather than personal success. Note that I'm not limiting maturity to age. A mature player is a mature player regardless of age. I know 14-16 year old kids who are very mature in how they play.

• 7. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    ghamorra

If you only knew how many reports they get on an hourly basis you would understand

• 8. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    Izjar11

gambit1969 wrote:

I think the damage is done already G', the franchise has become a victim of its own success.

Gambit speaks the truth, they've already reached a level of popularity which they will not remove. They are a corporation and need to sell.

Unless Activision gives a new developer more control on how hard / less "kiddie" friendly this game will not change.

• 9. Re: How can Call of Duty be more mature
    ghamorra

Activision should start working on a title that it highly mature, 90% realistic, and focused on a niche gamer community.

I'm curious as to what they can come up with.

1 2 3 Previous Next