32 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 11:26 AM by mikeyb27 RSS

Shotgun Emblem = "Pavlov's Dog" easter egg

USarmyvet

The Shotgun Emblem is the biggest easter egg Treyarch ever made!

• It easily dominates the forum topics all over the internet.
  • As a motive, it's probably the number 1 "cause" for playing time
  • People are willing to dump a gamertag to get it.
  • Nobody really knows exactly how they got it

Congratulations....you are Pavlov's Dog

Black Ops 2 is about to wrap up but don't worry....I'm sure they are working on a new bowl filled with some new treats.

About an hour ago I played a game of Survival Town.....well, not really a game. We had a shotgun dude in the game that went down at the box on round 4 and quit. I usually just ignore twits like that but I sent the guy a text LOL'ing at him....and his reply was beyond bizarre....

"I'm not taking 10 downs playing with you idiots"

The funny part is he was the only one that went down! But....we were idiots.

The dude had point whored his way to 4700 points and as soon as one of the skulls opened the door....he raced up to the box. Never mind Jug, never mind how easy they are to kill on round 4, never mind that all three of them wouldn't be able to make the box move or that if it did it would be a 20 second sprint away....off to hump the box on round 4 with two noobish skull players.

I watched it all from the street....it was funny watching all three of them race for the box like someone dropped a "fitty" in a room full of addicts.

LOL....he probably ran straight to a solo game to glitch repair his damaged K/D!

• Re: Shotgun Emblem = "Pavlov's Dog" easter egg
    wridtrvlr

I guarantee it was a child as well...  I have taken tons of downs, downs on round 1 even, and never quit out of a public game.  I like to see how things play out, how the other team mates handle the situation with one less zombie slayer in the mix.  It keeps things fresh and exciting. 

I know most people "chase the dragon" to say the least, but it's not that important to me. If I go down, so be it, if I bleed out and loose all my weapons, so be it.  It's my fault for letting the z's get me in the first place. 

This is all from a shotgun ranked player btw. 

USarmyvet

wridtrvlr wrote:

I guarantee it was a child

His reply was a voice message.....adult.

wridtrvlr

Sad but probably true.  Ever since they started this ranking system BS, it has ruined many of games for me b/c people care about their freaking rank rather then getting far. 

For me, it has always ALWAYS been about high round games.  Didn't matter if I took 50 downs to get there, if it's anywhere in the 50's I was happy. 

USarmyvet

wridtrvlr wrote:

For me, it has always ALWAYS been about high round games.  Didn't matter if I took 50 downs to get there, if it's anywhere in the 50's I was happy. 

I've always been at or near the top of my friends list on the leaderboards. That meant playing with people to rounds well past their abilities. It's fun but can lead to a chaotic ending and lots of downs as you revive, down, rebuild and generally try and recover.

If I were worried about the downs.....I'd never played with many of my friends.

Seems the rank emblems really ruined a lot of things...Playability being the biggest.

Mr_Spaceman

I know exactly how I got mine, by playing well! Does that make Pavlov's dog my b*itch?

USarmyvet

Mr_Spaceman wrote:

I know exactly how I got mine, by playing well! Does that make Pavlov's dog my b*itch?

No...it could mean you are good. Just like a skull/knife doesn't mean bad.

There are always exceptions to the rule....but then again, I've never heard a shotgun ranked player admit they boosted.

I'm better than my K/D....for lots of reasons like falling asleep, my K/D isn't high enough to get me the emblem. Should I fix that error by boosting? If I gave a crap I might use that justification. A lot of people are better now then they were last Nov....should they boost to fix the record?

That's the point....hundreds of thousands of people are chasing the stat/boost/emblem easter egg....that is classic behavior modification a la Pavlov's Dog.

Mr_Spaceman

Agreed. I wasn't chasing the emblem, I knew I was close because I had the knife for ages so I just upped my game a bit and they eventually came. I'd say the majority of players are always chasing for a better rank, hell the maps are totally shite on this game! Players need some motivation to play.

By the way I have friends with the knife that can go toe to toe with any shotgunner so in no way am I saying I am better that you or anyone else :)

USarmyvet

Mr_Spaceman wrote:

By the way I have friends with the knife that can go toe to toe with any shotgunner so in no way am I saying I am better that you or anyone else

That's pretty common...especially because of the number of them that are fake ranked.

I also think as a percentage, the shotgun rank has more glitchers and boosters meaning your odds for a good game with a random is with knife players.

Mr_Spaceman

I run my game mostly in public lobbies, probably like 80% of my overall kills. But as everyone knows its inevitable that someone usually backs out or 'disconnects' in a pub lobby.

So around about MotD time i went back trying to better my solo runs as i wanted to set a high round that would actually save to my LB, and im not gonna lie i backed out of a few games without any downs if i was tired, bored or going out and didnt want to leave the box on and i ended up with the shotties after a measly 34 buried solo run. But i never back out of a game in a public unless i catch someone glitching or someone already backs out and the team agrees to end it, or i get thrown into a game from the off without getting a chance to chat to the team. So if this makes me a booster on solo then burn me at the stake!

My definition of a booster would be a player that goes in with a game plan on solo to get so many kills/rounds, ends the game, repeats. Or a player who backs out pub games cause they went down to protect their k/d. If i'm wrong someone please tell me.

Lobbies were a hella lot easier to get with the knife.

Megadog14

Fun fact - After Pavlov's experiment, one of his students did the same test on children and got identical results. Could this be the next step, a test on "adults"?

USarmyvet

Megadog14 wrote:

Fun fact - After Pavlov's experiment, one of his students did the same test on children and got identical results. Could this be the next step, a test on "adults"?

We are all lab rats in life....manipulated by just about everyone.

It's just funny IMHO how the rank thing played out. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Back in Nov-Jan, people were like WTF?

Feb - Mar, they were like Aww....OK, must try harder

Apr- Aug - OK, must boost 8 hrs per day for 3 weeks

In the end, close to the last DLC....time in game has shot through the roof, mainly from boosting.

LORD_GRRR

Lol!  I think we are all "Pavlov's dog" to zombies.  I know I drooled when the bell rang announcing Origins.

But I know what you are saying.  This ranking system has made selfish fools out of some people. 

My solution has been playing with mostly people from this forum and a few good randoms I've met over the past months that put teamwork ahead of themselves.  Now it has me spoiled rotten as I won't play a public match ever again (not willingly, anyway).  The caliber of people on my friends list has matured over time to a point now where I never have to worry about this kind of crap again.

DeathBringer-Zen

My sentiments exactly.

I am well aware of the bahaviour of the 'superior race' in public lobbies, and just avoid them like the plague now.

My friends list is build up of only the best of team mates (primarlily from this forum), with a mixture of emlems to boot, but their emblem means nothing to me. If they are good fun to play with, that is all I need.

USarmyvet

LORD_GRRR wrote:

This ranking system has made selfish fools out of some people. 

Lots....

Not sure of the payoff though as most people I know assume a random with shotguns is a booster/glitcher. Friends are bonafied by performance....regardless of emblem.

If the randoms figure out you (not you specifically) are not shotgun caliber, If your friends know you, know your not really a shotgun level player, and you know you boosted.....then who is it supposed to impress?

All that's left is the randoms that breifly see your name and emblem in the lobby right before you back out.

Gee....what a reward!

FatalHeadshot

I as a shotgun rank see skull players back out/leave game/rage quit whatever you  wanna call it so often I dont even care anymore. The only reason people remember shotgun ranks backing out is because there are far less of them(shotguns) then there will ever been skulls. It's alot easier to remember the 1-2 shotguns who acted like big shots and played like noobs then it is to remember the garbage skull player seeing as they are a dime a dozen. Rage quitters come in all ranks/ages so you can't judge a rank based on a few players. They highest I have ever gotten with skull ranks is 25 because they ALL back out starting on round 15 when they can't hold their own or they resort to glitching.

USarmyvet

FatalHeadshot wrote:

I as a shotgun rank see skull players back out/leave game/rage quit whatever you  wanna call it so often I dont even care anymore. The only reason people remember shotgun ranks backing out is because there are far less of them(shotguns) then there will ever been skulls. It's alot easier to remember the 1-2 shotguns who acted like big shots and played like noobs then it is to remember the garbage skull player seeing as they are a dime a dozen. Rage quitters come in all ranks/ages so you can't judge a rank based on a few players. They highest I have ever gotten with skull ranks is 25 because they ALL back out starting on round 15 when they can't hold their own or they resort to glitching.

LOL....it's not the numbers, it's the percentages.

We all play the odds in a lobby search. I won't play with people that don't have a mic. Why? Because it never ends well. That is based on my experience.

IMHO....shotguns  will quit at 1 down at a higher percentage than any other. Again....that's my experience. Thus....I am less inclined to ready up with a random shotguner

benp1a2y3n4e

Fair enough, if thats from your experience.

IMHO i've seen the greastest percentage of knife ranked people quit out, the one's who are chasing the shotguns (ala Pavlov's dogs)

FatalHeadshot

Exactly you should never expect much from a public lobby and I have grown to accept that.You could probably remember a few shotgun rank players who backed out early but for those few I bet there are hundreds or skulls who backed out. This rage quitting thing isnt limited to a single rank it's all ranks and players. Only difference I have seen is shotgun ranks quit after 1-3 downs where as skulls quit after like 20 downs and they bled out an 8th time. I am not bashing any rank I am just trying to get people to understand that rage quitting has always been part of zombies and sadly always will ranking system or no ranking system. also....I'm with you on avioding certain players as i aviod the following crossbones(not sure if its new account or new to game),kids,splitscreeners,people  in party,no mic or intoxicated people.

benp1a2y3n4e

Agreed, everyone seems to focus on shotguns when they talk about rage quitting, boosting etc. Random skulls are just as bad and so are knifes (The ones who are working towards shotguns). Everyone is just as bad as each other.

CalamityCate_

I have to agree with some of your points, here. I probably play in public lobbies more than most people from this forum... I like the challenge of it all. And... I'm a sucker for hoping to find that one gem of a random.

But, I hardly ever run accross shotties in pub lobs. Maybe that's because a lot of them are like forum members and don't like playing public lobbies, maybe they only play solo to boost their k/d, but the point is... I see mostly skulls and skull/knife people. The clueless skulls are the best, they don't care about their downs and are happy with where they are at. The knife players, however, are so determined to prove that they can hang with me that they become arrogant or sit there and tell me I don't deserve my shotties.

I have had really bad experiences with knife players, though. All of the knife ranks on my list DESERVE shotguns, but they are the type that play for the game and could care less. It's the pub lob knives that feel like they have something to prove that grind my gears...

FatalHeadshot

Damn me and you have entirely different encounters with knife players. Most the time I play with knifes they are respectful and have good knowledge of the game and map. They do rage quit as much as everyone else though but I have never had issues with knife players. Its skull players who give me crap in public lobbies I know its hatred for shotgun ranks they have played with in the past bashing them and trying to make them fee like noobs. I try to explain to ppl who wanna argue in lobbies over rank that its just a game and everyone who deserves a better rank will get it in due time.

PeterPanzer903

Who hits the box on round four? His shotties mean nothing, he was a NOOB!! Hell, you can still use the 1911 on round four. I always talk sh!t to people who use the box before round 10, it's hilarious...

USarmyvet

PeterPanzer903 wrote:

Who hits the box on round four? His shotties mean nothing, he was a NOOB!! Hell, you can still use the 1911 on round four. I always talk sh!t to people who use the box before round 10, it's hilarious...

Like I said....I LOL'd him in a message....a shotgun humping the box with 2 noobs on round 4 was funny.

In that map I usually roll with 1911 & M14 till I get knuckles....I hit the box when I can't shoot/knuckle a one punch kill.

PeterPanzer903

Same here, I've always done that starting strat. Use 1911, or if I need to, get the M14, until you have enough points for Bowie/Sickle/Knuckles. A lot of people don't realize it, but you'll make more points back by round 15. I LOL at people who say "why would you spend all of your points on the knuckles before Jugg or a gun?". Then come round 15 I'm a good 3000-5000 points ahead of everyone that didn't buy them. Pop a bunch of 1911 rounds in each zombie before you knuckle them. That's the way to go.

grimsley

News alert...you don't have to be a beast at zombies or a glitcher to have shotguns.How do i know,cause i got them this past saturday.For a little background,i started playing zombies on black ops 2 when die rise  released,simply beacuse i was bored of multi player.And i liked what i saw in die rise cause i could camp with a tramplesteam helping my backside.I'm 41 yrs old and and since die rise came out i have accumulated over 190,000 kills,and i was at knife emblem till this past saturday when i finished a 2 man public on 32 it gave me the shotguns.Also i checked my kill to down immediatly after i recieved them and it was 135 to 1.I'm not telling this to brag i know there are much much better zombie players than me,just shedding a little light on the shotgun situation.

GoalieOfUnholy

More like Schrödinger's Cat..

GulfCoastGirl

USarmyvet wrote:

About an hour ago I played a game of Survival Town.....well, not really a game. We had a shotgun dude in the game that went down at the box on round 4 and quit.

Sounds familiar..... a few months back I did a survival Town with randoms.  The lone shotty of the group spent the first 5 minutes of the game repeatedly telling us we better not back out if we went down.   Round 8... down he goes and wouldn't you know.... he backs out.  The rest of us lowly skulls had a good laugh at that one....