30 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 9:05 AM by gnomkot RSS

COD Ghosts Maps are not all small.

iivrruummii

Whiteout looks huge.

And Octane looks Medium sized.

Looks like this game is to have a nice variety on map sizes.

Cannot wait until November 5.

• Re: COD Ghosts Maps are not all small.
    RunAndGun1

EDIT:

OK...looking at those maps, Ghosts looks excellent. Those two maps are excellent sizes. They make it a real challenge. Not clusterfk for the easily amused. I would love to see more videos like this of the other Ghosts maps. I am a lot more excited now.

surridge1990

I agree with RunAndGun1, the game looks great and from what we've seen so far it looks like there is going to be a mixture of map sizes which is brilliant.

I will say this though... I thought BO2 was going to have a good mixture of map sizes and look what that turned out to be like..... Yeah there are some bigger maps but they hardly ever get played and when do very rarely with full lobbies.

And lets just hope the maps dont look and feel big because of weird movement physics like BO2 3 step sprinting etc.

All in all though im keeping my hopes high for the maps on this game, but im not promising myself anything yet!

RunAndGun1

surridge1990 wrote:

And lets just hope the maps dont look and feel big because of weird movement physics like BO2 3 step sprinting etc.

Yea, I hate the 3-step sprinting. I think the standard running style should be 10-20 steps before being forced to walk. And I shouldn't have to use a perk. Unless I want something like BF style running. But, based on the fact that the Ghosts maps I've already seen look a lot bigger then BO2, I'm hoping the running will be better. But, not expecting it to be.

Mammas_flicka_

Awesome. I'd love to see a big mix of huge maps, normal and maps like Rust (MW2).

ab36

One of the good things I noticed (it was from a rather small detail on the maps but it's encouraging) is that the maps had more space even in hallways. The halls were wider, less clutter within the halls, etc. Hopefully this is a good sign that they're trying to space out the maps better instead of playing pinball like we have been the past two Call of Duties lol

edit - and is it just me or is Domination back to how it used to be, and not separated into two rounds again? I hope it's back to how it used to be

Also Whiteout looks like an awesome map, definitely my favorite from what they've shown. Looks like a Black Ops 1 map but with better graphics lol seems like the layout is better, not so linear, there's some good verticality, etc. Things are looking encouraging...

littleblackdeath

I hope that's not actually the woman's voice. LOL

Map size seems decent... yet, I can tell it'll be more of the same sniping formula.

Why don't they ever build upwards?

Re: Domination - it's IW's Domination, IE 1 round. Classic formula.

genki.sudo

Gosh ! After (far by) horrible bo2 maps, looks like finally some decent (even sniper friendly) maps !!!

Gosh IW, please, don't screw this up !

RunAndGun1

genki.sudo wrote:

Gosh ! After (far by) horrible bo2 maps, looks like finally some decent (even sniper friendly) maps !!!

That's what I liked about the Whiteout and Octane maps in Ghosts. They clearly have several lines of sight for snipers. Whereas maps for BO2 at the most had maybe 3-4 lines of sight for snipers.

Thanks to what appear to be bigger and better maps for Ghosts, I plan on trying to snipe more. I have hardly sniped at all in BO2. But, Ghosts looks like it will have maps for all playstyles, not just the clusterfk, kill-spawn-kill-spawn tryhard style suitable for BO2. IW seems to have learned from the past. But, Treyarch clearly has their heads up their collective butts.

biron_w

I hope the maps are bigger. I like nice sized maps.

dtuchpunk

With those maps the new weapon class marksman rifle makes sense.

ModernWelfare

Two decently sized maps without many open spaces doesn't guarantee that there will be a good variety of map sizes. For all we know, the rest can be tiny maps with scattered debris everywhere with poor spawns *cough* BOII *cough*.

RunAndGun1

Are you kidding, Modern Welfare? Both Whiteout and Octane had plenty of open spaces. What videos are you watching? Whiteout alone had multiple lines of sight that play to snipers. Multiple routes instead of the typical left-middle-right of BO2 maps. Considering that we've only seen two of the 14 maps that will be released with Ghosts, I am very optimistic that we will see a variety of map designs and layouts. I'm hoping Gamecom will see the release of more MP games on more maps.

No open spaces? 

ab36

Even in Strike Zone (the small map), you could look at the halls and see that they were a lot wider, and with a lot less clutter in them. That was pretty clear, especially considering the way the past two games' maps have been. If Ghosts has shown anything so far, it's that the maps look like they're better than they've been in a few years. Of course this is only from 3 maps, but they're showing good signs.

BiG_Dolphin

I was told by people who attended that there is less head clutching as well. It's more body shown behind cover.

mickilla

One caveat to keep in mind- sheer size alone doesn't guarantee that the gameplay will gain any new variety. The more important feature to look for are the sightlines and whether or not defensible positions are present and useful. Plenty of maps in previous COD multiplayer were huge, but were so cluttered that in spite of the size you could hardly ever see a hittable target. Others may even have had open space and sightlines, but the positions that a player would take to make use of these were so vulnerable that no one sane would ever touch them. And there's even a few maps that have very strong defensive positions one could take, but these only have sightlines towards areas that are hardly ever occupied by viable targets. You could sit there all day and never have a chance to shoot anything. Unless all of these factors line up just right, all you have is the same cluttered, close-range spamfest that's been going on for nearly the last whole decade.

Osprey_Blue

I agree with that, bo2 had a really large map, Aftermath... don't think a single person I know likes it. I know IW will make these maps really true to life with a lot of different lines of sight, but I don't know if it'll make gameplay as good as people might think it will. I actually think snipers will have to be a lot more mobile as targets will be harder to find. Hopefully the maps will be colorful like Bo2 ones were (really liked the contrast of color and less greyscale) and I'll be able to find some flow to them (I just find no flow to aftermath whatsoever :/ ). And the spawns are hopefully better... oh and I have a feeling the freefall one will be a tiny clusterfk of debris without legitimate cover

gnomkot

I wish they were more open, but they're good sizes.