10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 2:51 PM by Padiego RSS

Activision CEO explains why they are bringing Call of Duty: Ghosts to the Wii U

Snowyday

Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg spoke with Joystiq at the MP Event last week, and he discussed as to why Activision is bringing Call of Duty: Ghosts to the Wii U.

Activision is currently one of the major supporters of the Wii U, bringing over 6 new titles this fall to the Nintendo platform.

“The driving force behind us bringing Ghosts to the Wii U is the same as every other platform, it’s just we want to do everything we can to make the first-party successful. Obviously if they’re successful, that’s good for our business, that’s been our strategy in the past, we’ve been a very kind of platform agnostic company. We generally try to be wherever our gamers want to play. So we thought if our content can help the Wii U and Nintendo gain some momentum, then we wanted to do that.”

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/08/20/activision-ceo-explains-why-they-are-brin ging-call-of-duty-ghosts-to-the-wii-u/

• Re: Activision CEO explains why they are bringing Call of Duty: Ghosts to the Wii U
    Ronin2012

what exactly does this tell us other than we are getting ghosts on the wiiU?

• Re: Activision CEO explains why they are bringing Call of Duty: Ghosts to the Wii U
    T-boss

sounds more like a PR speach, may be wiiU launches they are still in it, might be if there is a crash in AAA, might be because they think they can get a little extra money, heck it may be because he knows people who like the motion controls, might be because ghosts is the only competitive multyplayer shooter other than BO2 on the consul.

like2nap03

It tells us they want to see Nintendo succeed.  It's more busincess for them.  So let's help them out and buy this game. The more customers the greater the chance of DLC.

WiimotesRus02

like2nap03 wrote:

It tells us they want to see Nintendo succeed.  It's more busincess for them.  So let's help them out and buy this game. The more customers the greater the chance of DLC.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with numbers. I'm not sure if the old wii was really capable of add on content, but didn't BO1 have the highest player base of all CoD games? We didn't get it then, but like I said, i'm not sure if the wii was capable or not, someone here must know..

like2nap03

WiimotesRus02 wrote:

like2nap03 wrote:

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with numbers. I'm not sure if the old wii was really capable of add on content, but didn't BO1 have the highest player base of all CoD games? We didn't get it then, but like I said, i'm not sure if the wii was capable or not, someone here must know..

If it was possible, it would have been very difficult due to the Wii's lack of storage space.  My theory is they might have been able to do it, but it would have been a lot of extra work so they simply decided not to.  But I say it MIGHT have been possible.  At first glance I would say it wasn't possible.  I mean it did have SD cards, but nothing in the code was designed to stream from that.  So let's say they could have done it that way.  They would have to modify things quite a bit and attempt something that hasn't been done before.  Hope it works.  Test it.  Get it approved.  Then release it.  There's just no way all that was going to happen on top of the patches.  Heck maybe they tried and it couldn't be done.  Who knows?

The point is you can't compare those situations.  This console can do it.  So the only reason they wouldn't do it would be the small playerbase.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  A lot of people have to buy it for them to make money.  On top of that it will divide the community up even more. There's no good reason to do it now other than to make some people quit whining about it which isn't going to happen.  Then you have the issue where people won't buy the game because it doesn't have DLC.  But they won't make DLC because people aren't buying the game. 

WiimotesRus02

like2nap03 wrote:

WiimotesRus02 wrote:

like2nap03 wrote:

If it was possible, it would have been very difficult due to the Wii's lack of storage space.  My theory is they might have been able to do it, but it would have been a lot of extra work so they simply decided not to.  But I say it MIGHT have been possible.  At first glance I would say it wasn't possible.  I mean it did have SD cards, but nothing in the code was designed to stream from that.  So let's say they could have done it that way.  They would have to modify things quite a bit and attempt something that hasn't been done before.  Hope it works.  Test it.  Get it approved.  Then release it.  There's just no way all that was going to happen on top of the patches.  Heck maybe they tried and it couldn't be done.  Who knows?

The point is you can't compare those situations.  This console can do it.  So the only reason they wouldn't do it would be the small playerbase.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  A lot of people have to buy it for them to make money.  On top of that it will divide the community up even more. There's no good reason to do it now other than to make some people quit whining about it which isn't going to happen.  Then you have the issue where people won't buy the game because it doesn't have DLC.  But they won't make DLC because people aren't buying the game.

First rule of business, always expect to take a loss in your first year. Just think, once they start doing it for the minority, word of mouth alone would spread the word and it would pick up in no time. And thats what I hate about all of this dlc cr@p, just one question, why is it so hard to say why we can't have it, the forums wouldn't be full of speculation and spam, and foxy's job would become easier over night. Just tell us, simple..