32 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 6:02 AM by Megadog14 RSS

Are you happy that you spent your money on REMADE map packs

Bloody_Bup

I dont know if yall notice but i surely do that the maps that has been coming out lately are maps that was on blacks ops 1

same routes in all, just different objects and scene so we basically paid  for the same stuff that black ops 1 has in it

• Re: Are you happy that you spent your money on REMADE map packs
    Bielsalmighty

I think most of us noticed when they told us about the remade maps in each pack before they launched them. It was kinda hard not to really.

I was happy with the Summit and Firing Range remakes, as I knew I was getting maps which I thoroughly enjoyed and knew I would enjoy on this game - I knew that, personally, I was getting value for my money. Whilst I am kinda meh about the stadium remake, I *REALLY* enjoy Dig, and I didn't play much of W@W so I am happy with that one too.

Just my opinion. I understand how others feel cheesed off by it, and dont mean to insinuate that you shouldnt feel that way

Foxhound-Pro

I really enjoy them. They all play well in my opinion and they make sense for the game.

Editing for clarification: The make sense in terms of fitting in with the streaks, play style and weapons of Black Ops 2.

trialstardragon

Was I completely happy about them? No.

Do i feel ripped off a little by it? Yes.

Did I learn a lesson to never buy the season pass again because it may happen again? You bet.

So was it a total loss on my part? Not at all.

I_Am_Overpowered

i bought all the map packs expect the last one. one remade map fine but the last map pack has 2...really?

AustinTheJovi

I bought the season pass for this game (My first Call of Duty) as a test to see if I'd like it or not.  To be honest, there were some nice map additions, but not something I'd expect for $50, the cost of another full game.  I'm a firm believer that DLCs should be free, because once I pay for a game, I should have the full, 100% game.  Not 75%, where I have to pay as much as I did for the real game for all the DLCs.  But hey, I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

farmerguy95

i get what youre saying and ill show you how i understand DLC.

if it changes the actual game, say new modes, new tools, etc, etc then yes i believe it should be free due to it being necessary to fully enjoy your game.

However if it's purely cosmetic. levels, player customization, then i think you should have to pay due to it NOT being necessary to fully enjoy your game. As an example: did i need to buy the camo packs to enjoy BO2? of course i didn't. Did i need new levels to fully enjoy BO2 multiplayer and/or zombies? (debatable but in this case we'll say no) but do i enjoy a change of pace from the things included in the game? of course! thats what theyre meant to do, offer some change so you will enjoy your game longer for cheaper than buying a completely new game!

On a side note, i believe the peacekeeper and ray gun mark ll should have both been free. same reason as above. they change the gameplay, especially since you can play a match with others that have it while you don't have it.

bkblazer

For the most part I agree with your views. Lets just say the game without dlc is for the casual players.

But from a zombies standpoint, the game and all dlc really needed to be bought to enjoy zombies. Unless a player is completely casual and just dabbles with giving it a try.

Between the game and all dlc, it was the price of two games. BO2 offers at least three games in one, campaign, multiplayer, and zombies. Its up to the player to decide if they want to take advantage of all BO2 has to offer. But if you're heavy into multi or zombies, the dlc is a must to fully enjoy.

farmerguy95

i agree with your zombies standpoint. and i think treyarch understands it too. thats why instead of being nice and having zombies seperate from MP maps they bundle them making us who love zombies either miss out on maps or have to buy the whole pack for one map.

I didnt really think of zombies and MP as two different things but they definitely are. MP i don't care about new maps really, especially when the only real good ones are remakes. but (atleast for me because i love zombies) tranzit would not and could not satisfy me nor could the sorry excusues of smaller maps it was broken into so obviously i wanted new maps.

bkblazer

Yes. I can understand players that don't take part in zombies to be disappointed with the dlc. But for zombie lovers, the dlc is a must, even if the map isn't their favorite.

What i find interesting, is this game has 50 zombie achievements and 40 multi/campaign achievements. It totals 2000 gamerscore. Its really time for zombies to branch out on its own.

farmerguy95

my cousin and i have both said that since BO1 and ive seen many people say it on here. the thing is i'm not sure it will ever happen. Because activision knows it can get a bigger amount of people to buy the whole thing rather than two cheaper parts. i feel that if zombies did develop into its own game it would either have to be cheaper standalone or purely digital with say the 3 starting maps and then the other maps ranging in price depending on how popular they were/are or what game they're in. (older ones would most likely be cheaper due to age and what they offer but they are more popular so deciding on a reasonable price would take time)

you know what screw all that, just put all the maps on one disk

Izjar11

Bloody_Bup wrote:

I dont know if yall notice but i surely do that the maps that has been coming out lately are maps that was on blacks ops 1

same routes in all, just different objects and scene so we basically paid  for the same stuff that black ops 1 has in it

I've spent more money on more useless things, so no.

LifeSong1

The hardest part about designing a map is most likely the layout and structure behind it. Defining your routes and making sure it works. Then there is the adding of the "skin" and "textures".  When they just reskin a map and give it to us as part of a map pack I feel ripped off.  The map packs that are part of the season pass should be entirely new maps.  I think if they are going to remake any maps that they should be free to the community as a gift.  I don't think they are really hurting for cash at the moment but why not give something for free every now and then. It would go a long way.  If not free, sell them for a buck outside of the normal maps and give us our normal 4 NEW maps instead.

PS - Please understand that I'm not saying it isn't a lot of work to do the re-skinning, but just that it isn't as hard as coming up with an entirely new map. It is less than 50% of the work that goes into a new map. Seems like an easy way out later in the games lifecycle.

VashD_Stampedee

yes......................

Xx67Customs

I have enjoyed the remade maps. While playing CoDs, I always find myself wondering what an old fun map would be like on the new game. While most previous CoDs have released a remake of some map in a DLC, Black Ops II was able to change them enough to seem different, but also kept the magic that made them fun in the original version.

I personally think they did great with the remakes in this game.

bkblazer

Its not so much the money spent that bothers me. Its just I feel when you have a new game, create brand new maps. Forget about all that fan favorite stuff.

BO2

Out of a total of 31 maps. 4 were reskinned. So a total of 27 newly designed maps. I don't really consider Dig as a rekinned but instead just influenced from Courtyard, WaW.

MW3

Out of a total of 36 maps. 1 was a rerelease, (Terminal) but it was free. So a total of 35 newly designed maps.                            

7 of these maps were for the Face Off game mode, but they weren't really much smaller than some of BO2's and they were still newly designed.

LifeSong1

Not sure how you can consider Dig to not be a remake. The routes are identical as well as obstacles.  It's just a new skin.

I do agree that I'd rather not see the old maps and instead strictly see new maps. If they want to re-skin some maps from previous games, then give them away for free and don't include them in a season pass or individual DLCs.

bkblazer

Well to be honest, Dig feels completely different to me. I played Courtyard a lot in WaW and I didn't really study the remake but I'm just going off the feeling of the map.

Nuketown 2025, Studio, Uplink, and Takeoff feel exactly like the BO1 maps to the sq. inch.

I kind of relate Dig more towards how BO1 remade Cliffside with Hazard. More than just a skin. But hey, its just my opinion and could be wrong.

amathyx

remade maps play differently on different games, for better or for worse

get over it, there shouldn't even be any dlc maps to begin with

LifeSong1

amathyx wrote:

get over it, there shouldn't even be any dlc maps to begin with

That's an interesting theory. From the game company's perspective, they need to keep their customers interested. If it is just the same 12-15 maps for the entire year, people would get bored and go play other games. I think DLC is a good thing, but I think it would be great if the game companies could release original content and not a re-skin of an old map.  And maybe even give some small free items to your players such as an occasional free map, some free calling cards, etc as a way of saying "thank you".

bkblazer

Agree. I wish there were more maps from launch but enjoy the releases of dlc. Its refreshing and keeps the game up to date. I know it turns a $60 game into a $110 game, but that doesn't bother me at all.

On another thought, I'm not at all a fan of how Ghosts is advertising "Free Fall" or how BO2 handled "Nuketown 2025". A map as a preorder bonus is ridiculous. Just add it into the original maps when its released for everyone. Don't act like it something special for special people. Its a poor marketing scheme. Give us something else as a preorder bonus. Give us all as many maps as possible for multi from launch.

amathyx

the only thing current dlc accomplishes is completely breaking matchmaking

gamemodes with an already small population (hardpoint, headquarters, ctf, etc.) are now split between people who don't have dlc, people who do have dlc, and people who only have a certain amount of dlc

even in the bigger playlists, from my experiences, you'll get into better lobbies much quicker if you just delete all of your dlc, and would get into even better lobbies if there was no dlc or all dlc was free and forced into the playlist like nuketown so half of the population wasn't split

Bielsalmighty

Occasionally, I've run with people who have no DLC. I find I run into far more horrible lobbies than I do when we are in the 'all DLC' pool.

Those not willing to drop the money on DLC, for the most part, are on the more casual side. Casual approach to online gaming = casual approach to the quality of your connection. Thats my observation and 2 pennies on the subject anyhoo. If anyone genuinely finds they have a better experience with no DLC, then by all means dont take what I say as gospel, or feel I intended it that way.

Adam1234567893

Not really they should of been bonus free maps if they were going to do remakes I actually feel ripped off. I mean even Infinity Ward released free maps and 2 of them were brand new maps while Terminal was a free remade one. Treyarch really made me lose faith in their company with Black Ops 2 DLC and Playability.

RazerDeadBullet

Yep, I am pissed, I want new maps, Treyarch are being cheap, story of treyarch Lazy

Necaross

I am very happy! Die Rise, MotD, Buried and Origins wasen't remake map, it's all good. But that's my opinion