20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2013 6:05 PM by phxs72 RSS

Players who give-up, but stay are worse than Rage Quitters?

philla_killa

For some reason, this has been happening with a lot of teams I've been put on recently.  Especially when I'm put on teams of friends with the same clan tags.  A player or two on my team will start to do bad, but instead of just leaving, they go AFC (away from controller) and allow themselves to be killed.  Of course, there is the possibility that something has come up that needs their attention, but I'm sure that's not the case majority of the time. I think they just give up playing and don't really care about the match, their team, and whatever else happens, but they want to stay in because their friends are still in the game.

To me, this is much worse than having a player on the team just leave the game because, not only does it still leave us short a man or 2 (6 players, but only 4 active), by them staying in, they're feeding the enemies free kills.  Its almost like boosting, in a sense, because it's allow free kills for the enemy. At least when we're short a couple players, then enemy only has 4 people to get kills from-which can prove to be easier or harder for them.

The sad thing is, there's no way to punish players who do this. If they want to give up playing, they do.  At least with quitting games, you do get a probation if you do it too often.  I'd rather have players on my team who quit and allow other players to join than players who give up, but don't quit. 

• Re: Players who give-up, but stay are worse than Rage Quitters?
    xxphenomen4xx

I totally agree with you bro.

Izjar11

sounds like they just quit (in game) without having to leave, a weak option instead of trying to make a come or saving face.

Would others consider this boosting?

I would say yes, they probably do that more times than not and theres a reason to do that (lower your SPM) to play vs easier opponents.

rlbl

I would not say it is boosting.  Boosting is a deliberate attempt to allow someone to kill them, placing themselves in harms way to do so.

When someone goes AFC, you still have to find them. And if the team (somehow) controls the map with 5 players, you can never get to them. Even without map control, the enemy still has to penetrate the spawn and find said player. Sometimes it is easy to do, sometimes not.

That aside, I agree with the OP. They should just leave the match. It is keeping someone else from joining who maybe can help.

* They may be doing it as a stand against probation, or worried that they may be put on probation. Not excusing it, just saying.

Izjar11

rlbl wrote:

I would not say it is boosting.  Boosting is a deliberate attempt to allow someone to kill them, placing themselves in harms way to do so.

When someone goes AFC, you still have to find them. And if the team (somehow) controls the map with 5 players, you can never get to them. Even without map control, the enemy still has to penetrate the spawn and find said player. Sometimes it is easy to do, sometimes not.

That aside, I agree with the OP. They should just leave the match. It is keeping someone else from joining who maybe can help.

* They may be doing it as a stand against probation, or worried that they may be put on probation. Not excusing it, just saying.

My reasoning though (and I though maybe they do it as you say, to end the match as quickly as possible) but they still allow themselves to die on purpose, some (I can't attest to the OPs case) but some players reverse boost.

_Orvidor_

I guess they chose not to take the probation .. What did you expect ?? You guys cried about players dash boarding and now that they don't do that, you complain that they don't anything ?? Will this ever stop ?? I think those players purchased the game in the hopes of having an even chance at playing which obviously does not happen for many in this game and now they have become depressed because Activision has decided to punish them because of it .. Awesome game !!

rlbl

^this 100%

It is, however, unfortunate it has come to this: Game is bad/laggy (subjective opinion): leave game - people complain; don't leave game - people complain; try and fail - people complain

I see a common denominator.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

_Orvidor_ wrote:

I guess they chose not to take the probation...

Might be true for a few, but I think most stagnant stayers just don't care.  To them, it's a simple changing the TV input to "Cable"; or just walking away from the TV; or, worse yet, stoned off of their minds and staring at some shiny blinking light or chick ad in the map. 

Some are just unable to focus of one thing for more than 7 minutes. 

phxs72

Folks that dashboard do so to save their stats.  They aren't worried about probation.

Folks that leave normally could be worried about probation and perhaps these are the folks that now just stay in the match but how silly it must be to prefer sitting in a match doing nothing for several minutes versus sitting outside a match doing nothing for 5 fixed minutes if and only if you do it often enough to trigger probation.  Obviously stats don't mean anything to them but I have to think that probation wasn't the cause for them staying in the match.  More likely they just found something else more interesting and went to do that.  I hate to say it but I remember folks being in matches and doing nothing in BO1 and MW3.  Neither of those games had probation.  This phenomenon is nothing new.

As to the complaining about it, well it is annoying to be left worse than short handed because their non-moving bodies are going to feed the other team streaks and their being in the lobby prevents other players that would help from joining.  I'd consider this something that should be dealt with within the game logic.  If you are inactive for too long (say a minute or two) then the game should boot them and they probably should consider that as a strike against the player as it goes towards probation.  The behavior of staying in a match and not playing is poor gamesmanship and I wouldn't feel the least bit sorry for someone that had to sit out 5 minutes for leaving their team in the lurch like that.  If they want to be in a match and not play then they should stick with single player games.  Once you venture into Multiplayer team based games you have a responsibility to at least attempt to participate regardless of whether you spent $60 on the game or not.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I've always believed this as well.  I'd rather have some dude who's going 1-10 just cut his loses and quit (acutally, better yet when he's 1-7), than to have him stay and finishing 3-17.  I'll take that chance of matching up 4/5 v. 6 (having less players on your team can be an advantage too.)  Especially if I'm matched against good players, all these guys are doing the majority of the time is rushing the same player and feeding him kills. 

The ones who just quit playing (v. leaving) and just stand there and do nothing are in some ways worse than the quitters.  At least the quitter won't hurt his team anymore, whereas the "stagnant stayer" knows he'll continue to hurt the team but just don't care.

Now, this is not to say ragequitting is a good thing.  But, practically speaking, it's better not to have one of these players on my team. 

Bielsalmighty

I see it as being the same as rage-quitting. Toys are being thrown out of the pram whether one is leaving the game or leaving the controller. Childish, full stop. Poor sportsmanship, full stop.

I would like to address the whole 'Why should I stay if its not fun, being pounded is not fun' argument too. I've found this to be a breathtaking example of immaturity. If you cant take losing, theres recruit level bots who will happily roll over and take it for you. If you want to play games with actual people, you have to accept that you are going to get stuffed every so often. When you played monopoly/snakes and ladders/whatever with your parents, did you flip the gameboard over, or simply walk off, when you saw you weren't going to win? I doubt it. Internet anonymity syndrome at its finest.

I cant wait for a quit percentage to be added to peoples stats, so ragequitters start getting called out, or even better left to play with each other and see how their antics negatively effect everyone else.

theroc23

I've often played on teams that were losing pretty badly...and then turned it around after two or three 5-18 tomato cans dropped out. The other team is usually a bit surprised that they all of the sudden lost even though that had a 6-3 teammate advantage at the end. One lousy tomato can will often ruin the game for the other five guys. Not really that big of a deal because there's all kinds of legitimate reasons why people suck. I think that the thing that bothers me the most about tomato cans is that regardless of why they're so bad that most of them don't seem to have the deductive brain power to figure out that they simply don't have the skill to recklessly ATTEMPT to run from one end of the map to the other over and over while dying over and over. Once again, there's a lot of reasonable reasons why people are bad at the game, but just flat playing like a stupid MFR is inexcusable doesn't really achieve anything other than exposing themselves as being extremely dumb. Not to mention that lot of them are just accustomed not winning **** in life, so they're relatively comfortable being losers in general. Winning is not everything, but that's not a valid excuse for not even making an honest effort to try and win. 

Lunamaru

I don't know about others but if i leave a room its because of 1 of 2 reasons 1 either my team is 100% **** and a total waist of my time to play with (kids 4-12) who have no business even playing this game and people who shouldn't play due to hard core failing in general or im sucking so bad i leave because i don't want to drag my team down. and in hard core games if you accidentally kill 2 people you get kicked either way resulting in the probation kicking in this is a HORRIBLE feature that they have put in game and should be removed immediately and the person who thought of it fired and shot many times. on another not good job on losing 50% of you player base with this idiotic probation tool. ps. there is a very easy way to fix this if ppl are like me a leave for 1 of those 2 reasons 1 dont suck more then the person leaving 2 kids under 14 shouldnt even be playing so get rid of them.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

they way my connection is to host sometimes...

i bet if i stand still in my spawn area, i'd die less than running out to kill opponents. last night i went 12-21 then in the next game 48-2

when i'm on the wrong side, i insta-die without knowing who got me and from where. i just fall over dead. sometimes it's so whack, the camera doesn't no where to go and just points at the sky (i play HC, so no kill cam).

when i'm on the right side, i'm god and can kill everyone with a hip fire.

both are extremely unfair and in no way reflect any skill on my part.