20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2013 4:29 PM by sharp_RFX RSS

LAG... it´s a lossing battle?

pauteix

I can´t play bo2 anymore, always lagging, at first when bo2 was released I was able to play smoothly and no lag, today my game is not smooth and I have tons of lag. I even improved my network service. My internet speed, now is: Download 124Mbps... Upload 7,81Mbps and my ping is 3ms. I have run this test today in SPEEDTEST.NET. In game my net type is always OPEN. Can anyone help me?

• Re: LAG... it´s a lossing battle?
    Epticlectik

I have 62.87Mbps and guess what mine is exactly the same.

Do you have any DLC by any chance?

If you do disable it by going in to your xmb and account management then deactivate account.

This will help a little but it will improve matchmaking instead of waiting 24 hours for a match.

You will now be informed by some members it is not the game but on your side which is utter bull s h i t

squirt magoo

When i got this game and suffered insane lag, (which was enough for me to ditch the game), i posted about it and was shouted down by the people who didn't have the issue, all i can say is "welcome to the shafted by treyarch club"

Epticlectik

You always will be shouted down or told you are wrong and its your playstation by the people on here with a million posts.

Just earlier I had some smart ass high poster saying the DLC does not affect the game in anyway and it is my end I need to delete the DLC and grab it again (which by the way would be the 3rd time)

Anyhow I took mr smarties advice I deleted everything to do with Black ops 2 and Downloaded everything again which would be no problem if it fixed it seen as I have a fast connection took me 20 mins to get everything and install it AGAIN but did it work? Hell no matchmaking is dire again waiting in a lobby for 20mins no one can be found at all in Free for all or Party games.........Hang on ill play other games what do you know they all work a treat.

So no it is not this game its my end....sarcasm

phxs72

It's been reported by a forum Admin that both the BO2 and the BO1 servers were undergoing maintenance yesterday.  Unless you been having extended connection issues for days then that's more than likely the cause of your problem.  I played FFA quite a bit last night and didn't have any issues despite the very low population numbers.  But that probably just means that the server that I was connected to wasn't undergoing maintenance at the time.  There are a whole host of things that can and will cause connection problems.  Unfortunately, figuring out which exact thing is causing a particular persons problems if often a guessing game.

Epticlectik

Bit of a coincidence is it not that matchmaking and lag problems seem to ten fold if my account is activated meaning the DLC works but if I deactivate it the problems go back to normal still unacceptable but normal as in how the game has always been.

gotsomestars

If its so bad, stop playing.

phxs72

That is an oddity that must have some merit to it although not everybody experiences it.  I for one have the Season pass with all of the DLC active all the time.  My lag is basically the same now as it's always been.  But for others the lag goes nuts when they have the DLC active.  I have to wonder if it's a regional problem.  As in is the lag awful just when you're playing a DLC map or is it awful on original maps too when you have DLC activated?  I wonder this because I live in a highly populated area.  So I'm sure that there are tons of people near me that have the DLC on all the time just like I do and that may very well be why I don't see a difference but someone living in a less populated area may only be able to find DLC lobbies that are simply too far away from them to avoid lag problems.  I know when I find myself in a West Coast lobby when I live on the East Coast, the lag is much worse and it doesn't matter what the map is.  Obviously I don't know what makes the difference in my experience and yours but it is something that I've pondered.

Epticlectik

Same here I live in a highly populated area too.Its the matchmaking more when the DLC is active sometimes I can be sat in a lobby 20 mins and it will not find anyone serious I have left it gone to make a drink or something come back and its the same.

Free for all no chance neither party games with the DLC active when its not I get in a match instantly.

phxs72

That definitely sounds like something is just not right with the DLC download but since you've already redownloaded it, I don't know what else you could do.  I'd have to think though that the download itself is the same for everyone.  So most likely it's not an issue with the download coding itself but more likely a data table that references something that only takes effect when you have the DLC active.  Have you tried deleting the game utility data?  I don't know if that's the only place where such information is stored but it is a common suggestion that I've seen Activision Support make.  If you do delete it, you will have to redownload all of the game patches but that could clear things up.  I know if I'd paid for something that I couldn't use then I'd be just as upset about it as you are.  So I hope that you can find a solution.

Epticlectik

Cheers mate but yup tried the game data lol.I guess its just one of them things in life you cut your loses and move on.

Lets hope ghosts redeems the title.

Blops 2 was going to be my last but seen as I have a ps4 on pre order I will give it a try on that.

Raketti

Of course the DLC afffects matcmaking and therefore has the chance to increase lag issues. You are only matched with people that have the same DLC and if you get a better connection on average without it that means the majority of players in your region are also playing without it. And obviously by playing in the less popular playlists like FFA or party games you are also increasing your chances of being matched with people further away from you (with or without the DLC, and with the DLC there's less player to choose from so it gets even worse).

This is all speculation, but probably the majority of players do not have any DLC, and the second largest group are the ones with all of it. The ones with a single or  2-3 map packs are screwed because those are the smallest groups to be matched with.

Players that stick to more popular modes and live in areas where there are plenty of CoD players might not have any problems finding lobbies with their DLC active, but anyone that says it doesn't affect matchmaking doesn't know what they are talking about.

rlbl

Could there be problems on your own end? Yes... but the odd thing is: When you fix (optimize) your connection you still seem to lag.

WHY!?

Because you are connected to either:

- people who have not optimized their connections

- people who are deliberately fudging their connections trying to gain an advantage (which can actually make them lag more than you which has more negative effects than good)

- people who you should never have been matched to begin with (poor matchmaking*)

* Bottom line: When you are connected to people in an online setting, there is nothing you can do that will affect what others are doing.  As we can see (well assume), as they are putting in hybrid systems in place for the next version of the game, they are aware that matchmaking and connectivity is a serious issue with the online experience.  By evening out the playing field (dedis, or best connecting to appropriate hosts), the online gaming *should* be at least improved for everyone.  If it works, great... let's see if they make it better...

P34nut

Lag will never ever be able to be removed, that's just the bad side of the good. The good side being you can play online with these amazing graphics and pixel soldiers but you can't do it without it's downfalls and lag is one of them.

Now lag compensation, although a pain in the butt is needed for online gaming. If we had no lag comp then players would be teleporting, skating and all sorts of funny stuff around the map. Lag compensation doesn't entirely count on your ping/latency it also needs you and other players to be close to the host or each other for a better chance of a lag free game. Distance from the host or each other is a big issue in most laggy lobbies.

All the packets in the game gets sent to the host who has to decipher all the info and then send back what is going on to the rest of the lobby, so if you are further away that info will take longer to reach you making you a second or 2 behind. Upload speed is more important than download speed for online gaming.

Having said the above though:

I played yesterday trying to gold my Assault Shield (almost there) 3 more challenges which can all be done together.

I had my headset on and another player had their tv so loud I could hear what they were hearing in the game and they were at least 1 second behind me throughout the whole game. They did seem to do well though and I didn't see them lagging at all, So I think that almost proves you can be behind other players at least 1 second and not notice or see any lag not always but probably a lot of the time because unless you can hear other people's in game voice overs or explosions no one ever knows how far behind or in front of any other player they are.

Right I need to stop writing too much when I reply.

kekthedestoyer

just do what i have done and quit playing it i have been playing MW3 and i have been having a much better experience i check on here every few days or so to see if people have the same problems but since ghosts is released next month i cant see me ever playing black ops 2 ever again since the last update the lag has been unbearable for me i had a 2.50 kill death ratio last week then it went down to 2.42 in a matter of days i have been having a terrible time

pauteix

What is strange is that my brother in law lives in same building as i and he lag´s so little and we have the same network servisse.

r8edtripx

pauteix wrote:

I can´t play bo2 anymore, always lagging, at first when bo2 was released I was able to play smoothly and no lag, today my game is not smooth and I have tons of lag. I even improved my network service. My internet speed, now is: Download 124Mbps... Upload 7,81Mbps and my ping is 3ms. I have run this test today in SPEEDTEST.NET. In game my net type is always OPEN. Can anyone help me?

There are some that don't feel it makes a difference, but for me, I had a major improvement in my COD experience when I portforwarded my router. I've always run my consoles wired, but portforwarding really did the trick for me.

sharp_RFX

I also have the same problem.. i do not know whether it is because of my internet connection or just bad hosting of the lobby. Pls fix this treyarch