42 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 4:15 AM by bagsta69 RSS

PS4 headset situation

Sundalo261

Due to the recent news regarding PS4 headset compatibility, I was wondering what headsets will you be using for ghosts. I got the sony pulse headset but will have to wait for a future patch, so I'll be stuck with the ps4 pack-in earpiece. I read that if you connect the pulse or any headset, into the 3.5mm jack in the DS4, you can have game audio only but not chat functionality? How about a ear bud piece that can hear music and take phone calls that plugs in the DS4? Will that allow you to hear game audio and chat?

• Re: PS4 headset situation
    Project-VAG-DANO

Turtle Beach have/are making a couple of headsets that should be released on PS4 launch night, i think one is a bog standard one ear muff type deal priced around £20, the other is one of their surround sound ones (again i think not sure on full details) priced around £150.

In GAME yesterday i noticed they had a ghosts themed headset made by Turtle Beach for the PS4 up for pre order but had no details on price displayed, not sure if its the same one as mentioned above or not but might be worth looking into,

GAME's website is currently down for maintenance but the link is: game.co.uk

BanHaMMer

I can confirm the brand 'Astro' will work from day one on the PS4 Astro confirmed this and they have an update ready now for all Astro headsets.

Quick link:http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/astro-...-xbox-ps4/

I am not sure in relation to other brands, I only run Astro A50's. I have heard some older PS3 Sony headsets may not work with the PS4. (The Pulse Headsets)

Sk

Project-VAG-DANO

Im pretty sure TB announced that only their newer headsets would be compatible due to them need to run an extra lead from the control box on the headset. (similar to headphone jacks on the 360 controllers/headset control boxes)

Ill try and find some confirmation.

Ban, what are the Astros like? in terms of sounds quality / features / prices etc, ive only ever heard of them on these forums and never once seen a set for sale anywhere.

BanHaMMer

The Astro A50s:

Solid make, light weight titanium. (No creaks, everything slides and feels solid)

Use them to watch movies etc

Wear them for 8 hours and no discomfort, no sweating, no headaches.

Battery life will easly last an 8 hour sitting, Sony standard PS Controller cable will fit in the A50s charging slot ingame if the battery is running low.

I can still chat to my Clan mates if I leave the PS3 for food or supplies, my kitchen is down the other end of my house. No loss of signal or distortion.

True Dolby 7.1 sound via Optical cable.

Suround Sound option (on / off)

Mix/Amp now in ear cuff. (Even less cables)

Sound quality 10 out of 10 and I do not say that lightly.

Very good customer support, they interact with the Pro-Gaming Community (sponsor MLG) and are always releasing optional updates to customise sound options.

Warranty has always been honoured on my A40's and they don't make you jump through hoops So I expect no drama's if I have an issue with my A50s.

I have used/tested/researched other headsets extensively over the last 9 years as I test product for Sony. I cannot recommend this brand enough, it does how ever come down to personal needs, wants and finances.

The new Sony Headsets are a very good alternative, true 7.1, and less expensive.

http://www.astrogaming.com/a50-wireless-system

Bardygrub

Going by the link below it doesn't look good for me and my PX5!

Anybody have some more concrete evidence ?

Turtle Beach • View topic - PX5 not compatible with PS4?

xThatTributeGuyx

Yeah, it's not looking good for those of us who chose the affordable options of Turtle Beaches. My Kilo's won't work and my PX11's won't work. Now, the options for PS4 as they stand right now are as follows,

PX4 - $149.95 Wireless

P4C - $24.95 - Chat Only/Wired

Shadow - $99.95 Wired

Spectre - $199.95 Wireless

Phantom - $299.95 Wireless

PX22 - $79.95 Wired

Marvel Seven - $199.95 Wireless

XP Seven - $279.95 Wireless

PX51 - $269.95 Wireless

XP510 - $289.95 Wireless

Ex-inm8

try the new sony PULSE i have owned them for a while now and there great and will be compatible on both sony consoles!!

Bardygrub

I may be wrong but I have the PX5, they will have no issue with the game sound, and from what I read on the tb forums we may be able to get chat send and receive with a 2.5 x 3.5 cable connected from the xbox slot in head set to the ds4 controller.

Hears Hopping anyway because with the ps4, games,online pay to play and  season pass for ghosts, the missus just raised her eyebrows when I said I may have to purchase a new headset as well.

xThatTributeGuyx

For me personally, I am looking at getting the PX4. I am a little tired of stepping over cables and wires in my room, so eliminating the cables from my headset would be awesome. I'll probably just stick with the dongle until I've saved up enough money for the PX4.

Project-VAG-DANO

Also heres the link to TB's PS4 compatability page

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830517531/

Bardygrub

The latest wireless headsets from Turtle Beach provide a mobile adapter connection. These headsets can use that mobile connection to get chat audio, and an optical cord for game audio, and still get an integrated headset experience. You simply run the mobile adapter cord from the headset to the controller for chat audio.

The Turtle Beach XP510 and PX51 wireless headsets that were introduced earlier this year will be compatible in this manner.

the above is from Vags link in the post above this one. I have not seen this mobile adapter but from what I have read on other sites I'm sure that a 3.5mm jack lead with a 3.5 x 2.5mm jack adaptor is the same thing?!?! This will go from ( in my case with the px5) the xbox slot in the r/h ear cup to the ds4 controller with o/ f from ps4 to the px5 base for game audio to give integrated Audi and chat.

Surely we have some expert tech guys on here that may be able to confirm this May work?

techie519

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read the PS4 would actually ship with a headset.  Granted it's probably not a very good headset, but I was holding off buying a cheap headset because I thought it shipped with one.

r8edtripx

techie519 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read the PS4 would actually ship with a headset.  Granted it's probably not a very good headset, but I was holding off buying a cheap headset because I thought it shipped with one.

Yes, the PS4 does ship with a cheap headset.

XxKILL_EM_ALLXx

yep looks like a single earbud with a mic for a smartphone

As for the boxed headset, well even though its a mono earpiece, all team chat is heard in mono  anyway, so it serves its purpose.  The PS4 headset will connect directly into the PS4 Dual Shock 4 controller using a standard headphone jack, allowing PS4 owners to purchase 3rd party headsets, something that Microsoft and their XBOX ONE have not done. they remain using a unique connector limiting your choice to their own line of headsets.

frustrationinc

So.. I had a though on this.. I'm one of the many making the leap from 360 to the PS4. I have the TB XP500 (the model that became the 510) in looking at the user guides for it and how it hooks up to the PS4 according to TB's site it uses the "Mobile Device Cable" From all I can tell this is nothing more then a 3.25mm male to 2.5mm male aux cable. Same as the "talk back" cable for xbox just with one end being 3.25mm instead of the 2.5mm on both ends to fit the 360 contoler. I've seen these cables on Amazon for very little cost (12 bucks or so) I'm have to wonder if just picking one of those up and plugging it into the DualShock4 for chat wouldn't work as well as anything else. Anyone else though of this idea?

1ShOt1KILL

If your on a tight budget like me where you have to buy

1: Ps4 - 399

2: Cod Ghosts 69.99 (Prestige Edition 119.99 Currently I Purchased)

3: Playstation Plus To Participate In Online Multiplayer And Other Features Ect ....

4: And If You Wish To Have The Disc For Both Games Add On Another 69.99

I Just Recomend Keeping The Pulse EarBud Headset It Comes With Until It Brakes

Bardygrub

AAgree does he know about the 9.99$ upgrade?

Bardygrub

AAny Americans tried hooking up thier px5 by using the chat cable with a 3.5 x 2.5 adapter to the ds4 controller.? Does it work?

Bardygrub

The latest wireless headsets from Turtle Beach provide a mobile adapter connection. These headsets can use that mobile connection to get chat audio, and an optical cord for game audio, and still get an integrated headset experience. You simply run the mobile adapter cord from the headset to the controller for chat audio.

The Turtle Beach XP510 and PX51 wireless headsets that were introduced earlier this year will be compatible in this manner.

the above is from Vags link in the post above this one. I have not seen this mobile adapter but from what I have read on other sites I'm sure that a 3.5mm jack lead with a 3.5 x 2.5mm jack adaptor is the same thing?!?! This will go from ( in my case with the px5) the xbox slot in the r/h ear cup to the ds4 controller with o/ f from ps4 to the px5 base for game audio to give integrated Audi and chat.

Surely we have some expert tech guys on here that may be able to confirm this May work?

check this site out,

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830517597/

coachlentz

Turtle beach started selling a cord that works with the px5 and others for about $7 yesterday.

i heard they were sold out already, however.

xThatTributeGuyx

Okay guys, if you have a wired headset, plug in the USB wire into the console and then go to sound settings and change the headset audio to all sounds, and you will get chat and game audio through your headset, only problem being that you'll have no control over changing just chat or game sound individually. It is at least something to work with until you're ready to get one of the headsets that will work appropriately.

Bardygrub

So I have been reading on the net that now, only sony pulse headsets will work after the Jan 2014 update!?! All other bluetooth including current like my TB px4 will not work and will still require chat cable for chat to work!

if this is the case, I'm not very happy with TB as they advirtised the px4 as ps4 ready and wireless

AC_786

where did you read this as TB are very miss leading i paid £200 for a new set of PX51's when i could of just used my £200 PX5's

Bardygrub

JJust google ps4 headset bluetooth update, change the search settings to " past week " and you will find a lot of posts. I must say, it's all speculation but from what I have seen in the last year about headsets for ps4, the speculation turns out to be true!

Bardygrub

Below is a conversation with a sony rep re headsets;

William R.: Hi, my name is William R.. How may I help you?
    Me: Hi, was trying to find out if thre will be a ps4 bluetooth update for 3rd party headsets in 2014?
    William R.: I see, Luke. I'd be happy to look into this for you today.
    William R.: For the bluetooth feature, there should be an update released late January or early February.
    Me: Ok, can you supply me a link or something that can clarify this? As I have spent close to $600 on headsets and the talk on the internet is that only Sony's pulse headsets will be supported after the 2014 bt update?
    William R.: Unfortunately, there is no information for the future update.
    Me: So the info that you have there, will it be for all headsets or only sony pulse?
    William R.: As of right now, the only headsets that will be able to work on the system when the update is released will be the Pulse and Stereo Headsets.
    Me: "Stereo"?
    William R.: The Wireless Stereo Headset.
    Me: I have the turtle beach px4 will they work as I'm not sure what you mean by " the wireless stereo headset?
    William R.: The Wireless Stereo Headset is a headset that is released by us. As for the Turtle Beach headsets, I do not have information on if it will be available when the update is released.
    Me: Oh ok thanks for your help.
    William R.: No problem. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    Me: No thanks
    Communication with Oracle RightNow CX Cloud Service Chat service has been lost.  The chat session has been terminated.  Check your network connection and verify that you can connect to other sites on the Internet.

bagsta69

I have the px5 from TB, I tried an ordinary 3.5-2.5 cable from the ds4 to the headset and this did not work. I purchased a TB 3.5-2.5 cable off Amazon for £4.99 and they work a treat. No idea why a normal none branded cable wouldn't work.

The other thing that kinda bugs me is that the ps4 sends the audio signal to the DS4 via bluetooth and then to your headphones via a cable. Why could Sony just not have used a frequency that the majority of headsets could use in the first place instead of annoying people who have spent hundreds of pounds/dollars on nice surround sound bluetooth wireless kit?