46 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2013 9:59 AM by Jugg3naut510 RSS

Just Watched the Origins Cutscene for the first time. . . . . Wow

Tsarthos

I'm at a loss for words after seeing the easter egg cutscene in origins. There are soooo many ways we could interpret it. Honestly although I always hate ambiguous endings, I love the feeling of mystery, and that there's more going on then meets the eye. This is definitely the most genius scene Treyarch has ever made for a zombies map. There is so much foreshadowing, of what is possibly to come, and also allusions back to every other zombies map they've released. Its all there, crunched into this 60 second scene. And the dialogue is definitely very important and probably foreshadowing very major things coming in the future for Cod zombies.

I have few ideas myself, and I'm going to go ahead and throw them out there. First of all, what is Samantha holding in the very beginning? Many people have been saying its a camera, but I've been thinking and I really don't think that's it. She looks directly into it in the beginning, and then she uses it to knock over numerous zombies. (which is not something you'd do with a camera.) Then she sets it down, and later Fluffy knocks it over. I think that she is actually holding the action figure of Dempsey. So we are seeing this whole scene through the eyes of Dempsey. And remember towards the end Eddie says "I wish they were all real". this is definitely foreshadowing of some sort.

I'm really curious to know what you guys think about this, also if you have a different take on this scene, or something else that you noticed that I didn't.

If you don't know what video I have been talking about here's the link:

Origins | Ending Cutscene [Storyline Ending?] - YouTube

• Re: Just Watched the Origins Cutscene for the first time. . . . . Wow
    hoboMurder101

I personally hated the ending to BO2 Zombies... 

After World at War and Black Ops I was excited for Black Ops 2 zombies, but the ending to this was just awful.  Honestly, compared to BO zombies, BO2 was a train wreck.

BO ending with Moon was amazing.  The EE wasn't too hard to do, gave everyone death machines, you blow up the earth, and gives you all 8 perks for the rest of the game.

BO2 ending with Origins... I would say that anything from "meh" to "wft" are safe to use.  The EE is a pain in the ass, the reward isn't worth the time you put into it, and then it gives you a cutscene of kids playing with action figures like it was all just a game?  Nothing is really explained...  and probably one thing that bothers me the most is what's the deal with Samantha's voice?  She went from being German to American...  and everyone seems to be ok with this?  Wtf did I miss?

dustycrow

i like the idea of something being in her hand never really crossed my mind but as for the end to it she says her dad has a plan and her dad works with the 115 so maby they made all of this real with the `115?

DeathBringer-Zen

one thing that bothers me the most is what's the deal with Samantha's voice?  She went from being German to American...  and everyone seems to be ok with this?  Wtf did I miss?

No one was OK with that that I know of. It was one of the off putting things about Origins pre-release. The first trailer had a demonic sounding Sam, then out of nowhere it changed in the same trailer a few days later!?

Origins completely ruined zombies for me. It is an OK map, but far from great. Definitely not good enough for a final DLC map. The EE was garbage, pointless and completely unsatisfying. Recycling the same step repeatedly throughout. Kill zombies here, then there, then back here again.

Some new features included were cool, but the map was built just to accommodate the return of the original crew, and under the circumstances of how they returned, I would rather have carried on with the Tranzit crew so as not to have ruined the game.

BO2 was overall a terrible experience and the cut scene was just the final kick in the balls.

dustycrow

i dont have any of the dlc for black ops or wow. would u recommend any of them? they seem more popular than bo2 and plus i like the first black ops better anyhow

DeathBringer-Zen

Yes, I would recommend ALL the Black Ops 1 DLC. Ascension is a great map, and CotD is in many peoples mind, the best zombie map released to date. Shangri La is very difficult, but a lot of fun nonetheless and Moon is truly epic. With the purchase of Moon, you also get the WaW maps remastered, so it is 5 maps for the price of 1, so you do not need to buy the WaW DLC as the BO versions are more polished and refined.

Cannot recommend them enough. BUY THEM ALL!

Tsarthos

just keep in mind if you buy the BO 1 maps they will have really outdated graphics.

I agree somewhat with you DeathBringer-Zen, I really do miss the simple but fun maps from black ops 1, my favorite was always "Five". that was a great map, it had awesome character dialogue, and a great hidden song too. I really fell in love with the characters in "five", and that's one thing I did not like about the BO2 maps, they throw in all these new characters that are all rednecks, and I didn't like them as much. And the story. . . well that was definitely the most scattered and confusing story line I've ever attempted to understand. It really felt like they were just making up random rules, and throwing in random crap that doesn't fit with the zombies lore from the previous games.

I can definitely understand why you guys feel cheated when seeing this final cutscene, I felt the same way. to take aaaaall of that complex plot we just struggled to understand and just say it was all a made up story of some kids. . . . that's really rude of them. The only reason I don't feel to bad about it is because I'm not really completely sure what the scene means yet. And I really like all the allusions, and foreshadowing they threw into that eerie scene, with Samantha and Eddie.

I'm definitely hoping they make a story that is more concrete and clear in the future, because honestly, that would be so much better than all this mystery and foreshadowing, and hinting they've done, that has all amounted to nothing. I don't know about you guys, but when they lead me on, and make me think something really meaningful is happening, (like with the navcards, for example) it really ticks me off when I find out later is was all a load of horse crap.

DeathBringer-Zen

BO1 maps do not look much different to the BO2 maps, with MotD and Origins being of slight exceptions. I played Moon and CotD the other day and they were visually on par with the likes of Tranzit, Die Rise and Buried easily.

As for BO2... Yeah, it was beyond a train wreck! Maps were extremely easy and seriously lacked longevity due to the arduous tasks required to do stuff in most of them. A lot of the maps also lacked intuitive design to them.

Don't get me started on the terrible storylines and even worse Easter eggs.

Tsarthos

yeah, I agree with you mostly, however I would definitely put Motd at a higher level, visually. I really like that map. I think its very well designed. yeah, Mob of the dead is probably my favorite map in BO2.

Tsarthos

what platform do you play on? because I use a PS3 and I have played Five on

black ops 1, and then played Tranzit directly after, and I can definitely see a huge difference. Even the zombie AI looks clunky in five, after playing Tranzit.

Megadog14

The zombies seem a bit smoother, but if you look at, say, the box on Tranzit and then the box on Bo1 theres next to no difference.

DeathBringer-Zen

I play on XBOX and PC. Tranzit is not a good looking map by any means, and a lot of models and textures used on that map are direct rips from Black Ops 1.

Moon, CotD and Shangri La all stand toe to toe with Tranzit Die Rise and Buried quiet easily in my opinion. Kino, Five and Ascension are a bit more basic looking but still hold their own.

There really was not a major upgrade in visuals as both games used the same engine (IW 3.0 Engine) instead of using the IW 4.0 Engine that was used for MW3.

So technically, they are just extensions of BO1 as opposed to a whole new game. It's like Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2... both are technically the same game because they were made on the exact same engine (Source).

Megadog14

IMO Shangri La is the best looking zombies map. On the bridge you can look off into the distance for what looks like miles.

Megadog14

And then we wind up with Tranzit, where you cant see 3 feet in front of you lol...

DeathBringer-Zen

I think the Tranzit setting and theme made perfect sense. Maybe not the Denizens, but the map was perfect looking for the aftermath of Moon.

Problem with Tranzit is that for a map of it's size, there is next to nothing to do in it. All the buildables are pointless. The Turbine is only used for opening things, and the Turret and Electric Trap are so terrible, no one even builds them anymore never mind uses them. Jetgun is not even worth mentioning. Shield is the only thing I see getting used now and again, and even that is rare.

So, when all tasks are removed, we have the biggest map in zombies to date, with what... 6 wall weapons on it!? 4 more if you include Bowie, Galvaknuckles, Claymores and Semtex. Also, 6 perks on it... 5 if playing solo.

It was a tragic waste by Treyarch. Going from a map like Moon, that had an immense Easter Egg and featured 8 perks and lot's of activity throughout, to Tranzit.

Tsarthos

Personally, I like Tranzit for the most part. Ironically what I like most about it is also what I dislike most about it. The mist. I love the tone it sets for the map. It gives you an eerie feeling, and makes you think there's more going on and more to discover. However, I have to agree that it is not fun sprinting endlessly through it. Words cannot express how many late nights I've gone to bed with my thumb throbbing.

That is really my only complaint for Tranzit though, Its too big, and the mist running is not fun. Other than that, I really like it. I love that they have hidden areas too, like the Nacht Der Toten area, and the Shack. the Pack-a-punch bunker is pretty cool too.

My favorite map in BO2 though, is definitely Motd. Love that map, and I like that they added Grief mode for it too. Why they didn't add a grief mode for every map, I'll never know.

DeathBringer-Zen

Still though... for the size it was, it was basically empty. You mentioned Nacht. Would have been nice if there was a point in going to it though... like a wall weapon or perk machine. It was pointless for nothing more than nostalgia.

I was bitterly disappointed when I eventually saw it for what it was. Technically it is a good map. Great fun traversing through it, but it severely lacked in content. It needed more perks, wall weapons and a very decent wonder weapon.

As many have said in the past... so much potential.

Tsarthos

Yes, on that I fully agree with you. I loved discovering Nacht for the first time, but when you realize theres nothing there to do, it makes it less meaningful. There really was a lot of potential for that map wasted. I mean I could probably think up 6 different places in Tranzit right now where they could have added something simple, yet it would make it so much more fun.

The alternate bus route theory, for example. Slip in the Navcard and it takes you the correct route. that would have been really cool! but do they do it? NO. what a waste. really they could have added tons of little rooms or areas to discover throughout the mist, but they give us next to nothing. It was definitely disappointing when I fully discovered the map, to realize that there wasn't nearly as much to it as I had thought.

Jugg3naut510

Well of course L4D and L4D2 are gonna be made in the same engine, it's Valve, the one who could improve graphics from a 2003 engine (that came from the Quake engine).

Davelo07

I also started out on BO2 with zombies and finally got BO1 yesterday. Just had my first play through of ascension and I've gotta say, I can see why people prefer these maps. The zombies are slightly 'different' and it's definitely harder to stay on your feet but they seem much more challenging in a fun way. I'll have to give it a couple of weeks and play through all the dlc's, but I can already see why people speak so fondly of it. Only drawback is it will still cost you nearly £50 to get the game and all the maps.

reluctent

Agree, they managed to get a German sounding voice for Richtofen, but seriously, not Samantha. I know people have said, everything is thrown into a 60 second scene, that doesn't say anything other than all the stuff in zombies being a toy and the zombies not really getting blown to bits, only getting bashed around like bowiling pins. Sam says my father has a plan. Well news flash, we kinda knew he had a plan anyway, to get Samantha out of this god forsaken Argartha, it would be good if we could see Samantha like in moon once we released her, instead of the game unexpectedly ending. They seriously didn't put one bit of effort in the story continuation from Black ops 1, its all, just plain boring, and thats being nice.

Also they could have taken the story a heck of a lot further, instead of throwing in our faces the fact its all a childs imagination after all those previous easter eggs. What a big fat waste of time.

Mikesoccer

Ugh. The scene is probably one of the worst things in zombies. Like a lot of other people have said, BO2 is a train wreck. From the makes-no-sense story line to the ridiculously hard to do easter eggs, (You have to do every one except MOTD and Origins 4-Player) Bo2 was defiantly NOT a good game, if you were looking at the story point of view, like me. However, what lacked in storytelling made up in fun, and I think we can all agree that we all spent countless hours just messing around. All in all, BO2 Zombies was a good experience.

Except for the story. Which sucks.

electricfuneralfire

Interesting, ive never done a single EE but the first thing I want to point out is the Moon solo music which is awesome. I think that is the perfect music to end BO2 with.

I guess other than than I cant comment too much lol

electricfuneralfire

Also I notice that Samantha has a hand held camcorder right from the beginning then puts it down.

electricfuneralfire

And when the camera gets kicked by the dog, it shows Sam way up in tally marks in something lol. And who is Eddie?

Tsarthos

That, is debatable. I personally think she is holding an action figure model of Dempsey. Were seeing the whole scene through Dempsey's eyes. (also Eddie hints that he "wishes they were real") Also, I highly doubt that they had camera's in this time period. It makes more sense to me that she's holding one of the four character's in Origins.

electricfuneralfire

I agree but you never know Maxis could have invented time travel or travel of deminsions in which they could have acquired a camera. Bit yeah its Dempsy.

It doesnt seem like the ending is purely a childs dream because of all the other characters throughout all the maps. I dont think Samantha has Sarah Michelle Gellar and etc action figures so how were on CoD with the OG's? Dimension travel?

I definately could be wrong so corrrect me if there are any answers to this.

DeathBringer-Zen

CotD and Five are the two maps that feature real life characters and that makes the ending even more nonsensical to imagine or expect Samantha to use characters in her games that have not even been known to the public or in some cases born yet.

But... taking these major plot holes into account. PTG suggested some time back in a video that the next zombie game from Treyarch will be set some 750 years into the future, but with a world not far evolved from our own due to the decimation of the human race to the infection.

If this is true... then that could mean Samantha and Eddie are from that time period and can maybe know these characters through historical records or memorabilia. I know 750 years is a bit of a stretch to remember certain persons though, so we will not know for sure until the next game drops.

Personally, I still think the ending is what is it, and all the zombie storyline was just the imagination of Samantha and Eddie. I think Treyarch did it to draw a line under the current storyline because it has spiraled into an unmanageable state. There was so many contradictions within it, and the timelines were pretty messed up.

That is also why they probably messed it up even more, but intentionally with Origins. So we would question it when playing. How can Maxis be dead if he was at Griffin Station!? How can he go on to have a child in 10 years from the events of Origins if he is dead? How can Dempsey meet Richtofen ans the crew in Origins if he never met them until he was captured at Verruckt?

Well... because none of it matters really... It was all just in the imagination of two children, where things don't have to be accurate.

Tsarthos

I don't think maps like Five mess with the lore at all. When I play that map I already know its unrealistic, and doesn't fit with the rest of the lore, its ok though because its a stand-alone map that was made just because they thought it would be cool to try that. I think it turned out great. Honestly all the maps that have separate storylines have been my favorite. MOTD and Five both are very interesting, and fun.

Part of the reason I don't like the maps like Tranzit, Die RIse, Buried, is because all they do is give you hints, they never actually reveal anything about the characters or the story! and when they do its after way to much trouble, and its still barely anything that is revealed.

What Treyarch needs to realize is that yeah, giving hints and foreshadowing is an excellent method for getting people invested into a story, but you have to actually reveal the answers, or at least something! You can't lead the audience on, and then give them NOTHING in the end. Nothing but more hints and foreshadowing.

Treyarch needs to take the story more seriously next time around. Making an actual, followable story, that would be a great idea.

DeathBringer-Zen

Tsarthos wrote:

I don't think maps like Five mess with the lore at all. When I play that map I already know its unrealistic, and doesn't fit with the rest of the lore, its ok though because its a stand-alone map that was made just because they thought it would be cool to try that. I think it turned out great. Honestly all the maps that have separate storylines have been my favorite. MOTD and Five both are very interesting, and fun.

That is not quite the case. Five is actually a very important map in the storyline. The reason there is a picture of Richtofen in the Defcon room is because he made a deal with the Americans that would give him funding and resources for the development and building or Griffin Station in exchange for the teleportation and wonder weapon technology.

This is why a prototype Thundergun is seen on the map, as well as advanced teleporters and many other things. The map is very much a part of the storyline as any other. The least important map is probably Ascension, seeing as the storyline there is related more to the ongoings at the cosmodrome rather than the main storyline.

Megadog14

DeathBringer-Zen wrote:

Tsarthos wrote:

That is not quite the case. Five is actually a very important map in the storyline. The reason there is a picture of Richtofen in the Defcon room is because he made a deal with the Americans that would give him funding and resources for the development and building or Griffin Station in exchange for the teleportation and wonder weapon technology.

Moons description has a whole other meaning now.

DeathBringer-Zen

That is how Griffin Station was built. How else would Richtofen be able to build Griffin Station off the grid? He went behind Maxis' back when he refused to acknowledge the Teleporter technology.

He sold his secrets to the Americans in exchange for funding. They obviously did not know his "hidden agenda" in all of it. They were just happy to get the technology secrets, and expected more from the 'Moon Project'.

Five is a VERY important map in the story.

reluctent

Ok then, just one question. In moon, why did Richtofen say on the odd occassion, "the foolish americans will never gain my secrets". If he said this, I really doubt he would give them to the americans, only the americans discovering this for themselves. Just an opinion, Dempsey is in contact with the americans anyway, so he could easily just tell them everything. As said, FIVE is a huge part of the story. Also linked to ascension, the phones ringing because the FIVE event was happening at that exact time.

InventiveDamage (TM)

Here is my viewpoint:

Black Ops 1:

Great maps and replay value is so high, but the lack for public lobby that don't suck ruin my time in the game. I sometimes have to wait hours to find a decent quality match. The maps although are tremendously fun and addictive. I got to say that my favorite map from Black Ops 1 is Call of the Dead. Just because the mixture of comical statements between the characters and the semi-difficulty of the map was a perfect recipe for a great zombie map.

I am sorry to say but my least favorite would have to be moon. Just more or less got boring because of the amount area you could run trains made my gameplay more or less challenging. Please don't hate me for that. Note, I did not get map until 3 months after initial launch of that dlc pack. I got to say most challenging map though would have to be Shang Ri LI. The reason behind that would have to be that the map featured more than one type of zombies alongside that of a tight pathway map. Their really was not one area that could hold decent size train. I found my self running for my life across the whole entire map. Which by the way I enjoy maps like that because they make you utilize the entire map.

Black Op2:

Now, although I "Really" despise the ending of Black Ops 2. The way they left zombies I would consider the "The Easy way out and a slap to the face of true zombie players" I got to say I did like all the map except for Tranzit. I do not know what is up with that map but I did really find it very useless map. I did like them introducing the start of split Easter eggs. At the same time I think that is where they started to lose themselves with the original story. Why create new characters when you could of used old characters. The characters were useless because they end up getting killed off anyways. Why the point then? I don't know. Point being bad decision making on Treyarchs zombie team. Let me stop harping on negatives and throw this into a more positive constructive manor. My favorite map has to be tied between Mob of the Dead and Origins. They both feature excellent graphics and superb gameplay but sometimes feels boring. The two main boss rounds within each map are great and will always be my favorite "Fat A****"",lol, bosses. The one thing I do like that they implanted into the gameplay is the contemporary music. I swear every time I play those two maps with that music playing just gives me the Goosebumps. They really nailed it with that. Now onto the buildables. I'm just going to say I have a mixed feeling about them. That is all.

Now question is what is the verdict of which is better?

Well it's more or less a matter of opinion.

Mine is Black Ops 1 for win and Black ops 2 for the music.

Please note this is my opinion.

ZombiesFan1

The question is: What you people expected for the ending?

I didn't expected nothing to start with, this ending may be bad to some, good to others. The point is that, just like in TV shows, the ending CAN'T always be what you expect. Too many are good, so few are bad. I never thought Zombie should had gotten a GOOD ending. I just wish Michael Myers would kill everyone in one of the movies, but guess not I think samantha can tell future, that's how i see the Beginning of the story. From now on, they just take any path they want with the story, it has infinite possibilities.

Samantha: I'll tell you how this REALLY began.

People need to stop thinking this is the end of the story, when it's actually the beginning

That is MY opinion of course

Jugg3naut510

Because it would make sense in the storyline. Why would Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, Samantha help Richtofen with his plan? Takeo just started hating him because of what happened in Moon. Makes sense now right?