45 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 8:09 AM by Hashtag8 RSS

Everyone who thinks the maps are way too big.....

Dyn4mics

I'm curious to know your playstyle. Are you a run and gunner?

The only reason I ask, is because I don't really see a problem with the maps. I can see where somebody that is used to using only SMGs would think the maps are way too big, based on the bigger open areas.

This game caters more to assault rifle use as opposed to the previous two COD installments that catered to SMGs.

We've all had to adapt before, and it seems that we will have to again.

• Re: Everyone who thinks the maps are way too big.....
    CBZ71

The twitchy crack heads are the ones who complain. It doesn't take "skill" to run and gun, just fast reflexes.

Tick7

CBZ71 wrote:

The twitchy crack heads are the ones who complain. It doesn't take "skill" to run and gun, just fast reflexes.

Couldn't help but laugh hard at this post.

Call of Duty is a twitch shooter, but fast reflexes isn't "skill"? LOL. The best players in Call of Duty ARE the ones with the fastest reflexes.

As to the OP - I'm an AR player who likes to play a stealthy, flank-centered game. Suppressors, off the radar, constantly being a thorn in the enemy team.

Coming off of Black Ops 2, I felt those maps were really good size that were conducive to some very good flow on those maps. That's what these maps don't have. Too big? Sure. But the problem is perpetuated by the fact that the spawn system is on two extremes right now - either WAY too close to the action, or WAY TOO FAR from the action.

What it needs is a balance of something in between. That of course, doesn't help with the campy nature of these maps, but it's a start

zack8100

Agreed, I'm typically an AR or longer range SMG player, also like LMGs on close quarter maps, but black ops you could always assess a flow, and go with it. A proven technique was look at the radar, if your friends are all in one area, go the opposite to find enemies. Not so, in ghosts, now, they're everywhere. So many times, in dom, i've spawned on B, which is always the most contested hot zone. I'm a K-D player, meaning I like a high W-L and a high K-D, and I can't tell you how bad my K-D is because of all this free spawn crap.

Also, while I agree with you on "twitch reflexes" I think it's much harder to run and gun on these maps, because of how large they are, so many areas to be sniped from, etc. It's totally ridiculous. I think there are some major improvements needed, although I'll take the weekend to test out the patch to see the improvements before I say anything about the update.

jadjr74

I myself don't really have a play style I'm not very good to begin with. I mainly just play what fits the map I'm playing. But after a few hours last night it seems like everything is to spread out, maybe after some time I will learn the flow of battle and not spend so much time running around. As far a weapons go there will still be a lot of SMG use as long as there are so many buildings and close areas.

Jacomofo

TThe maps are perfect size and you have to use a diffrent play style in ghosts compared to bo2 you have to be slow and check your corners this isn't a run n gun game if you do you will die a lot.....

Noob_Lyncher

The map size and complexity make it so that this game takes no skill. almost every game i've played so far has had half of the enemy team hiding in corners. I played a game of HC KC yesterday and the entire team did nothing but pick a corner and hide. I actually like to run around and play the game instead of sweating in a corner like this is league play or something.

QwertyBoredom

The map sizes are fine, at least now you are not guaranteed to lose 90% of your engagements only because the other guy has a shotgun.

PS its also nice that Sniper Rifles can actually be played like they where meant to be.

simonm

will be better when we play it on the xbone and theres more people than 6v6

iAmEFFeX

I still haven't played yet, unfortunately I have to wait for my PS4 to arrive, but I'm confused by what people have been saying about the map sizes. People are saying that you have to run around for several minutes before you see someone. I have been watching non-stop YouTube videos of this game and haven't seen that yet. I see people constantly in a fire fight. The only difference is that people are not all on top of each other. I guess I'll have to wait until I play, but based on the videos that are online, it seems like there's more than enough action.

AgoonCaserole

Very Biased post based on your play style clearly, it takes way to long to find and engage enemies no matter what type of gun your using. The problem here is that there are battle field and Halo sized maps without the vehicular action to accommodate the size

clamp225

Ground war is what needs to be added for everyone to stop complaining about this

RichRob

The maps are way to big. The smallest map is the size of jungle on black ops 1. There is so much unused space in the maps. I played chasm about ten times and just found out there was a subway under the map. I feel like I'm playing call of battlefield and not call of duty. This will be the first cod that I won't be buying the dlc

squirrelness

I can play many styles, but prefer to run and gun.  I haven't complained about the maps, but I will give you an example of what I have run into several times.  I apologize for not knowing the name of the maps yet so I can't give you a map name.  Anyway, my example.....

I got thrown into a game of HC KC earlier today that was less than 30 seconds old.  The score was 2-1, and it was full six person teams on both sides.  I got a quick kill but got killed trying to recover the tags.  Then I spawned and died again trying to move to cover.  For the next three minutes I ran around the map three times without seeing an enemy.  Not one.  When I left the game with less than three minutes left the score was 12-11.  And, no, I'm not kidding.

I won't 'complain' about the map size, but I do think it is having a very large effect on camping.  On MW3 and especially on BO2 you rarely had a HC KC match last the full ten minutes because people kept moving.  Obviously I haven't played this game a ton yet, but I've seen exactly one match end before the timer.  One.

This isn't a 'HC versus Core' thing, either.  I played a handful of core KC last night and today and saw the same thing.  Perhaps with time it will get better, but I have my doubts.  As I stated before MW3 and BO2 didn't have this problem when they came out, so I doubt it ever really resolves itself...unless, of course, some of the DLC maps are brought down in size a bit.

flounderRG

the only thing i hate about the maps its the everybody camps and quickscopes too much. now im not much into shotguns but it makes it useless for these maps. maybe if they putted the normal UAV back witch is why i dont see people complaint about it would probly makes it play better. thats why i have a name for the SATCOM when the enenies actived one. ENEMY NUT SACK SPOTTED lol

maccabi

no issue with map sizes there's a nice mix that appeals to everyone

saying that i like only a few of the maps the rest imo are horribad designs , too many windows, camping spots, rooms, levels

wadeywilson

There was a lot of hate for the maps being too small in MW3, they were bigger in BLOPS2 but people complained they were still too small. Apart from lag, map size has been one of the most popular complaints for the last two years. Me? I'm ok with each COD, it makes me play differently each year.

There were some pretty big maps on MW2, remember Fuel?

Anyways, in Ghosts not all the maps are "big", Warhawk, Strikezone and some others.

EVen the bigger maps are fine as most of the action doesnt take place on the outskirts.

I would urge the haters to just put in more hours, I'm on around 30hours and still learning and finding out stuff.

Honestly, I'm having fun!

iTzSurreal

When a 6v6 game of kill confirmed ends with the top team having less than 50 confirms and NO ONE having more than 15 kills...you know there's something inherently wrong with the game. Maps being too big is just one of the MANY things wrong with this game.

VanillaFlava

I certainly think there are some maps that might be "too" big for strictly 6v6 gameplay, but there's plenty in the game that also are just the right size. The only ones that come to mind as far as too big are Siege, Stormfront, and Stonehaven. Sorry, but a stalemate sniper-fest that always ends in a time limit round isn't really that fun or entertaining to me. So if those come up, I just back out of the lobby. I don't mind if others want to play them, just not my cup of tea...

Adam1234567893

Yes I run n gun sometimes of course if I am getting slaughter I camp cause I am tactical player but when I run n gun I am usually successful. NO these maps are not too big I love them because I can actually play the game instead of having to worry about always being in cross fire.

Kandagawa

I'm actually being pretty successful blitzing everywhere with my Vector. Even on Stonehaven you can do well rushing the enemy because no one right now is expecting it.

Leetch

Some are too big for TDM.  I have yet to see a team get more than 60 in TDM and have on multiple occasions seen the score in single digits after 2-3 minutes of gameplay.  They are fine for objective based games.

For Team Deathmatch they should close off parts of some maps to shrink it just a little bit.

GcP

I have to agree with the post I think that people are too quick to complain about certain things. I started with SMGs because that is what I thought to be the best for how I've always played. I then realized the difference in games and tried to adapt a little more so I started using an AR and was improving quite a bit only because of how other players play as well. People are striving to be the best at any game they can. this means not everyone can run and gun but some people prefer getting some kills from an advantage then switching positions (in my opinion this is how the game should be played on the maps given) but that being said I do think they could introduce a couple mas that are a little smaller but not too small to where the spawns are crazy and people just get aggravated. I've also noticed that most people don't realize how many flanks are put into this game. There are so many possibilities for people to come that sometimes you cant watch them all, which I also think is good because it throws a variable in that is almost like real warfare. Hoped this helped.

Sledgehammer23248

i'm not one who is complaining and i don't think the maps are that large compared to other games except for stonehaven... i feel like the maps create a slower game due to worry of sniper fire... i typically am a rover... i use assault rifles with marathon as play domination and try to capture the two closest flags and attempt to defend them... i feel that the maps create a camping environment depending on who you play... for example, if you are on stonehaven and the other team has good snipers, i just wait it out in the castle till the match is over... i can run out any of the 3 main entrances and i'm sniped... it's pointless to continue to run out getting killed 20+ times...

but i don't agree that the maps are that large for the most part, prison break, octane, tremor, freight, strikezone, warhawk and sovereign are medium to small... i just think people cry too much because they are not as small as nuketown.

michelangel0

I like the size of the maps.  But I'd like more players on them, ground war would be amazing.

It can be annoying when playing domination because when you spawn it can be miles from any players or any of the points.  Siege is particularly annoying in domination.  You spawn way behind the C point and then usually have to make your way to the B point.  I find it unplayable and always quit this map usually when I get a chance when the game starts. 

nuttin2say

Having now played Ghosts, the large maps are definitely intended for the new consoles. That said, I don't think the size to team size ratio of Ghosts hurts the game. Not at all. The graphics are awesome and the scenery is great.

I really wish they would not have made a big deal about the "dynamic" map thing though. It isn't dynamic. Period. End of that conversation. Does it matter? No. But just don't sell it as dynamic when, compared to games that ARE dynamic, this is nothing of the sort. (explosives that kill through sheetrock walls ... but leave the artwork on the walls?? Come on, really?)

Anyway, an overall thumbs up on Ghosts.

michelangel0

One thing I do like in this game is the interactive parts of the map i.e. the doors, tree etc.  I just wish they had put more in it.  It would be great if you could bring down some of the buildings especially the ones snipers usually hide in.

Adam1234567893

The maps are fine I like them this way they just need to fix the spawns cause the majority of my games get finished.

WKMMS

It's not necessarily the size of the map that's the problem, but the design of that map and whether or not that encourages a flow to the combat.  Two of the biggest maps in the game Stonehaven and Siege.  In 6v6 TDM Stonehaven is an absolute delight to play.  It's a huge and very open map, but has just enough cover and flank routes to allow CQ weapons to be used effectively.  Because of this there is a nice flow to the combat.  it's not good to hang about in the open so people tend to move a bit more.  Siege on the other hand is an absolute snooze-a-palooza in TDM.  There are some open areas, but there are so many buildings and cluttered areas that it encourages a much more campy style, which leads to a match more akin to a game of hide and seek.  Most of the time I've played on Siege the timer runs down to zero and the average winning score has been between 40-50 kills. 

belly120

the maps are pretty lame but its not their fault directly, the game is a cluster f*ck that totals up to a big un-fun mess.

the large maps with no ground war plus the 0.6 second times to kill for the slowest killing assault rifle plus five or more lines of sight make the game not fun.

the game is exactly that, A GAME and the point of a game is to be fun.

this game takes the fun out of COD.  dull and useless kill streaks.  No i don't want insane mega OP kill streaks that

earn me 90% of my kills but i want when i go on a beast streak and get 10+ kills to think "oh awesome i just got a..." instead i think meh that will probably suck and low and behold they do.

the massive maps would be really cool if it was 9 v 9 or 12 v 12 which is the only reason to have or need large maps!!!!

the times to kill again would be fine if they bothered to spend their billions in profits on dedicated servers but instead they don't bother so we get laggy matches that further reduce the fun factor and lead to insta deaths and sap the last of the this series life from it.  COD is so dead.

last night the numbers peaked at 298k players on 360 in week 3!!!!!!! the franchise is done

I_-HARRIS-_I

Nope. Bo2 maps were fine for any playstyle, whether that be AR "Camp"-like or SMG R'n'G.

The only game mode I'm finding viable and where I can consistently score well (k/d and 1st/2nd/3rd place wise) is FFA.
    Before anyone presumes, no I do not camp, I run and gun and more often than not get a k/d of 2.0 in this game mode. In other game modes I'm lucky if I hit 1.5 k/d as half the time I get killed by someone from an unpredictable angle or position, probably due to the poor spawn system or the size of the maps making the spawns completely unpredictable. Now I'm not saying the spawns should be DEFINITIVE in a demolition kinda' way, but simply not either up your ass or the corner of the map.

What really pisses me off the most about this is that I'm being forced to play the most unsociable game mode just to enjoy the actual game. Getting killed by players I know that I could easily outskill on older cods is a real pain in the ass for me, and I can't lie it does wind me up :c

Tac insertions are now non-existant in almost all game modes - maybe allow friends to join you if there's space in the FFA lobby.

FYI I've never participated in boosting either, before anyone starts trying to accuse me of being some map corner hugging bellsniff.

r33k

adapt adapt adapt. who wants the same game all over again. ok, so you got used to the last game put out, now its time to change and change your playing style. you will become well rounded and better overall. take the challenge and learn.

did you know that players will call out enemy locations if they spot them? its just like BF but you dont need to sight them, the player does it automaticly. listen for them. use that to your advantage.

maps..are..fine for objective game modes. TDM/KC/etc..well, that's more due to the camping nature of those game modes. so what do you do then? go hunt them down like the cowards they are.

Hashtag8

I'm an anchor player for my clan and have always been. That means I'm using LMG's and Sniper Rifles. In MW3 you could pull my role off pretty easily, in BOps II not so much. Fast forward to today with Ghost which in my opinion has a great balance between maps. I'm not saying that every map is balanced. I am however saying that if you either adjust even just the wee bit, you'll enjoy them more.

Like most, you'll get bored of doing the same thing and want to switch it up. I've found that with the different maps they sort of force you to change up your play style from time to time. This is of course based around what game type, the play styles on your team, and the opposing team. So to say that these maps or any other games maps cater to one style or the other is opinion. If you want to RnG then stick close to walls, use stalker and tactical's to clear rooms, etc.

Think outside the box, grow, expand, enjoy.

[edited]: Everyone in their own right at times believes they're some super tactical player who could possibly be pro. If you follow pro [Teams] you'll know that they each have a role. Make sure your group has that. If you're rolling solo, then figure out what your randoms are doing. a "Pro Tip" from someone not so "Pro" but I sure enjoy the game...