8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 5:04 PM by pj600r RSS

Poor map design and spawns lead to a poor gameplay experience.

THECRUSHER

Ok, ill just jump right into this. This game has some of the worst map design in the whole cod Franchise. Between a combination of poor spawn systems, no "intuitive" flow of traffic (by this i mean knowing where gunfights are most-likely to occur), or poor multi-level gameplay this leads to one of the most frusterating and fun gameplay experiences in the franchise.

To begin on the poor spawn system. The spawns are unbelievably bad. They tried to to do/use a MW3 esche spawn system to make the maps feel smaller but they failed horribly. Often times in this game i find myself dieing 2-3 times whenever i die because it'll constantly put me near enemies that have clear line of sight to wear i spawned.(i.e. i spawn walk around a corner and am shot.) these spawn problems can most notably be observed on maps like Stormfront and Stonehaven. The maps in this game i that i feel are best designed for call of duty are Strikezone, Octane, and Prisonbreak. What do all 3 of these maps have in common you may ask?

This flows very nicely into the traffic flow part of my argument. All 3 of the maps mentioned above are essiantally a "3" lane map being side-middle-side where many battles will appear in the middle of these maps. However all of these maps have some sense of "middle" as well. Many maps in this game are so large that it leaves many places where small gunfights can occur. This however is not a good thing because there is no real traffic flow to these maps. For example on Stonehaven there is no real place where people will gather because it is clearly the best spot. This leads to long uneventful games.

My last point if the poor integration of multi-level maps that dont fight in the series at all. When i think of maps that have this problem are: Siege, Sovereign, and chasm. You could argue that chasm is a somewhat "3" lane map but that is overshadowed but the use of like 5 different levels that fights can occur on. Because of the multi-levelness of these maps it is no longer "check your corner" anymore its "check up, down, left, and right." This however may not be bad a thing but that way it was implemented was very poorly done. On to the moor specific examples of this i would say Siege is by far the biggest offender for this problem. The map is far too large, there are too many buildings, there is no intuitive flow of traffic, and there are random multi-level builds just for the sake of it? All this stuff (buildings specifically) does it promote camping and lead to incredibly long drawn out boring games.

All in all i want this game to be as good as it can be but with the way most maps are currently it leaves me with a very bitter experience.

P.S. if asked i can go into greater detail about what problems i mentioned if asked because i feel i was vague for the sake of time.

• Re: Poor map design and spawns lead to a poor gameplay experience.
    SgGamer

First of all I would like to say thank you for a well thought out post without copious spelling errors in it! And I fully agree that the spawns in this game are terrible! I do hope they fix them soon.

nicedrewishfela

Man, throw in a review and edit.

I disagree. I am quite enjoying the maps thus far. I don't see any of them as the typical 3 lane map like pretty much every BO2 map was, and that is what I am enjoying. It seems to me that every map offers something for every playstyle. There are long sightlines for snipers, areas to protect for campers, and plenty of flanking routes and access points for rushers/attackers. As a tactical mover, it took me a while and several play-throughs on some maps, but I was able to figure out how to move about the board in ways that suit my play style. It sounds as if you are unwilling to adjust your game or find what works for you on these maps. You want the action to simply come to you, like the mindless battles BO2 forced us into. There is plenty of action for those willing to seek it.

The Spawn Logic still needs work, but it has gotten a bit better. If my team is coordinating, the spawns are far less of an issue.

ghamorra

Spawn logic is hit or miss with me. But when it misses boy is it rough. I played a TDM game early this morning and was doing well, something like 5-0 or 6-0 and started settling in for a good game when I got blindsided by a spawn flip. It was like the entire enemy team spawned in a perfect circle around me and before I knew it I was stuck in between two spawn points each with snipers staring right at them. If I moved an inch I got OHK. By the time the match ended I was 7-24 or something really depressing.

Funny thing was the few previous matches were the opposite. Games like that make me put the controller down.

pj600r

I know how you feel, this evening on top of being put into games that were 10 kills from being finished, every time I spawned into a game I was killed before taking 2 steps, I'd spawn again and exactly the same result 2 steps bang dead again.

It didn't seem to matter what map it was either but Stonehaven was particularly bad, when it's like that it doesn't encourage you to carry on playing so I quit and played Battlefield 1943 instead.

The game has got loads of potential but the devs still need to do a bit of tuning, my evening playing session has dropped from 2 hours to less than an hour now, that's about all I can put up with at the moment.

FishyDizzle

Anyone who thinks the spawns have been anywhere near fixed are smoking crack.

i am willing to make a video today to prove this if anyone wants to challenge that.

Kandagawa

THECRUSHER wrote:

This flows very nicely into the traffic flow part of my argument. All 3 of the maps mentioned above are essiantally a "3" lane map being side-middle-side where many battles will appear in the middle of these maps. However all of these maps have some sense of "middle" as well. Many maps in this game are so large that it leaves many places where small gunfights can occur. This however is not a good thing because there is no real traffic flow to these maps. For example on Stonehaven there is no real place where people will gather because it is clearly the best spot. This leads to long uneventful games.

I think you might just not know Stonehaven well enough. The majority of the firefights are going to happen in the village, focused around the center building with the cars, and the half-ruined building in the upper corner of the village.

Any time there's fighting within the castle is because someone decided to be a spawn camper way in the back on the hill with the ladder.

That said, there are multiple locations that snipers can hide out around the map but anyone with an automatic are going to be near the first two positions mentioned.

BlackExplosion

I 100% agree with OP and ghamorra - between the spawn logic of a 5 year old and the maps being assembled apparently at random, I have trouble playing more than 3 or 4 games at a time without having to walk away because I am so frustrated. I agree somewhat with nicedrewishfella that it does mean a change in gameplay, and so far that's the tack I've taken, but if I check all my corners and glance out a window only to find myself stabbed in the back, it's going to get me frustrated. The spawn logic needs another update and I honestly think there should be a free DLC of more standard side-middle-side maps. It's good to change it up a little once in a while but I don't want to be hanging out for a map that makes sense.

As an example, I'll play the same map 3 times, and I'll go 16-17, 24-6 and 2-30 and I absolutely chalk that up to inconsistent traffic flow and stupid spawn decisions.

(That said, the spawns have been better since the update, but they're still not fixed.)